bama1234

Montana Mod v2.5 RELEASED

Are there any specific geographical, natural or manmade features you all want to see on the new map? (Within reason)

There will already be: a small river, and thus, a bridge; train tracks; a state park; residential, industrial, and commercial zones.

Could you have a wide section of the map be flat open ranch land and then transition to wooded hills on one side? The impression I got of Montana when I was there was that its pretty but for long stretches there is a whole lot of nothing. Maybe have lots of scrub that can burn in the field to make some nice grass fires.

Other ideas.
-ATV trail with a ATV wreck possibly, in may rural areas ATV trails run alongside roads and then divert off into the woods and such, it might be cool to have a few crisscrossing the grasslands and forests.

-Meth Lab: Have a trailer off in the back woods that would occasionally be the scene of a meth lab call (arrest subjects, decon area, extinguish any fire)

-Wind turbine, saw a lot of those in Montana

-Maybe have just one long windy road that goes across the whole map that the town is on and have smaller roads off of that that interconnect.

-Maybe a small little air strip (dirt) with a ultralight or two on it (keep it small), EMS could transfer patients from ambulances to helicopters there.

-If no small airstrip the fire station should have a helipad adjacent to it. Lots of FDs have helipads at their stations for ambulances to transfer patients, the FD secures the LZ for the helicopter, especially in rural areas such transfers happen often.

Could you have a wide section of the map be flat open ranch land and then transition to wooded hills on one side? The impression I got of Montana when I was there was that its pretty but for long stretches there is a whole lot of nothing. Maybe have lots of scrub that can burn in the field to make some nice grass fires.

Other ideas.

-ATV trail with a ATV wreck possibly, in may rural areas ATV trails run alongside roads and then divert off into the woods and such, it might be cool to have a few crisscrossing the grasslands and forests.

-Meth Lab: Have a trailer off in the back woods that would occasionally be the scene of a meth lab call (arrest subjects, decon area, extinguish any fire)

-Wind turbine, saw a lot of those in Montana

-Maybe have just one long windy road that goes across the whole map that the town is on and have smaller roads off of that that interconnect.

-Maybe a small little air strip (dirt) with a ultralight or two on it (keep it small), EMS could transfer patients from ambulances to helicopters there.

-If no small airstrip the fire station should have a helipad adjacent to it. Lots of FDs have helipads at their stations for ambulances to transfer patients, the FD secures the LZ for the helicopter, especially in rural areas such transfers happen often.

I really like those ideas, the trails, fields, trailer park and air strip/LZ especially.

as someone who spends a lot of time in Montana a lot of what Fred said is accurate, there are lots of atv/snowmobile trails along roads and through the forests. also there are lots of REALLY large open farmlands. 

as for the trains you see a lot of Montana rail link so think of including that livery.

MRL_652_EMD_SD19-1.jpg

i am not so sure about the windmills, at least where i go i don't see them very often if ever

as someone who spends a lot of time in Montana a lot of what Fred said is accurate, there are lots of atv/snowmobile trails along roads and through the forests. also there are lots of REALLY large open farmlands. 

as for the trains you see a lot of Montana rail link so think of including that livery.

i am not so sure about the windmills, at least where i go i don't see them very often if ever

I'll probably include both those things. Not sure about the windmills.

It would be neat to see some open land that grass land fires can start and spread.

Unfortunately currently EM4 is not set up well for grass fires and grass-firefighting. As I understand it deck guns can only work when the vehicle is stopped so that gets rid of the best tool for grass firefighting (guy with hose line standing on/walking alongside moving brush truck) and fire breaks require WAY too much work (Wildfire managed to do them quite well though) and without more realistic fire physics grass fires wouldn't be very realistic. I would love to see that change of course but I think it would require far too much scripting for anyone to do, although that's what they said about limited water supply too... (hoppah? bama? goog?)

Its a separate game and quite hard to find, basically it puts you in charge of a USFS (or something similar) firefighting operation. You get tank trucks, firemen, dozers, smokejumpers, helicopters and backburners. The game play is based around evacuating people occasionally and containing a wildfire as fast and cheaply as possible. Its interesting but gets old fast, EM4 could learn a thing or two from the wildfire physics though.

http://www.amazon.com/Wildfire-PC/dp/B00062VFF6

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/wildfire/

PM me if you want a more in depth opinion on it.

On topic would it be possible to have a firefighting helicopter as well as the air-tanker? Maybe have it use the same scripts as the air-tanker but have it extinguish less of the fire.

Many new scripts could be made that would make wildland firefighting more realistic in EM4 and its mods, however since most mods are based around urban areas (with a few exceptions) I doubt that a issue like that is at the forefront of very many of our modders' minds. Other things like pumper to pumper water transfer and all ATVs/UTVs have not been scripted for I suspect the same reason, lots of work for few mods to utilize. As someone who has a fondness for rural firefighting its a shame but that's not where the demand is.

On topic would it be possible to have a firefighting helicopter as well as the air-tanker? Maybe have it use the same scripts as the air-tanker but have it extinguish less of the fire.

Many new scripts could be made that would make wildland firefighting more realistic in EM4 and its mods, however since most mods are based around urban areas (with a few exceptions) I doubt that a issue like that is at the forefront of very many of our modders' minds. Other things like pumper to pumper water transfer and all ATVs/UTVs have not been scripted for I suspect the same reason, lots of work for few mods to utilize. As someone who has a fondness for rural firefighting its a shame but that's not where the demand is.

It would be asking yourself the question of is it worth the time? A friend and I have been playing with the idea for a while now for our own mod and thrown some ideas back and forth. The only thing i came up with is replacing the fire plane with a helicopter model tbh. do-able? probably. Also the helicopter would lose other functionality as well. My thing would be having a helicopter you can pick up water with, pick up crews, drop off a helitack crew and go out and do water drops. Right now that's most likely near impossible.

My hope is EM5's fire logic is much better than it currently is.

It would be asking yourself the question of is it worth the time? A friend and I have been playing with the idea for a while now for our own mod and thrown some ideas back and forth. The only thing i came up with is replacing the fire plane with a helicopter model tbh. do-able? probably. Also the helicopter would lose other functionality as well. My thing would be having a helicopter you can pick up water with, pick up crews, drop off a helitack crew and go out and do water drops. Right now that's most likely near impossible.

My hope is EM5's fire logic is much better than it currently is.

Yeah the helicopter seems like it would be far more work than its worth, especially considering how rarely it would be used in any mod. Pump from tanker though seems do-able (says the person with no modding experience) and as soon as that's possible logically the pumper to pumper wouldn't be far behind. I know a few mods would benefit from this and to be realistic any rural mod would have to have that, as any rural volly, water shuttling is one of the biggest parts of the job.

As for the helitack crews that is already technically "possible" just fill medical helicopter with 6 USFS firefighters and land it somewhere near the fire, however without the automated command to cut line you're going to have to spend all your time micro-managing your crew.

correct me if i am wrong but don't we know this is possible because it was done in the winterburg mod?

if i remember corect the first limited water suppy logic had engine to engine instead of a tanker

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

Seems like that's all you would need, same script just change the model and call it a tanker, the scripts would still work and it would fit in to playability well, attack line functions would work too. To me that sounds like the simplest way of resolving that issue.

Seems like that's all you would need, same script just change the model and call it a tanker, the scripts would still work and it would fit in to playability well, attack line functions would work too. To me that sounds like the simplest way of resolving that issue.

eh idk I'm not vary good at scripting matter of fact I'm looking for one to make roofs and gates for my fire stations and

Ems stations in River Falls

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2