MikesPhotos

Offering my assistance.

Hey Mike, quick question. This may be a bit of a stupid question, but if you look at the board that lists all of the medical units in the area of Rampart General Hospital in the tv series Emergency!, there are two units at the bottom that say RAs rather than squads. Know I know that this could be stupid since it's a fictional tv show and the hospital doesn't really exsist, but I know there was a big push to make the show realistic, with them using the same equipment, apparatus, and even actors who were also LACoFD personell. My question is, was LACoFD actually experimenting with RA's in the 1970s, or was that just somthing the show added in? I guess it also could have been some RA's from a nearby fire department, since LACoFD and LAFD aren't they only FDs in the county.

Hey Mike, quick question. This may be a bit of a stupid question, but if you look at the board that lists all of the medical units in the area of Rampart General Hospital in the tv series Emergency!, there are two units at the bottom that say RAs rather than squads. Know I know that this could be stupid since it's a fictional tv show and the hospital doesn't really exsist, but I know there was a big push to make the show realistic, with them using the same equipment, apparatus, and even actors who were also LACoFD personell. My question is, was LACoFD actually experimenting with RA's in the 1970s, or was that just somthing the show added in? I guess it also could have been some RA's from a nearby fire department, since LACoFD and LAFD aren't they only FDs in the county.

From my limited knowledge on the subject, LACoFD had put a few "mobile aids" in service. These were transporting ambulances, but I don't know if they were available in the '70s. From what I know, I believe all mobile aids are either out of service or place in reserve status. Also, LACoFD, for a short period of time, used LA County Health Dept ambulances as their BLS transport. Unfortunately, LA County DHS could not keep up with the call volume and the program was scrapped.

Hi Hoppah listen in your Hostage Situation I found Three bombs but could not find the Fourth because of this it said thebombs exploed in 20 minutes a real shame at that point because I had about a Million LAPD officers and a tech guy at LAX and to tell you the truth it is driving me around the bend looking for this mystery bomb Igot rid of the terrists and was cleaning up the mess so could you ponit me in the right direction as to where a fellow might find this mystery bomb? :1046276128_motz:

Guest cbh84
Hi Hoppah listen in your Hostage Situation I found Three bombs but could not find the Fourth because of this it said thebombs exploed in 20 minutes a real shame at that point because I had about a Million LAPD officers and a tech guy at LAX and to tell you the truth it is driving me around the bend looking for this mystery bomb Igot rid of the terrists and was cleaning up the mess so could you ponit me in the right direction as to where a fellow might find this mystery bomb? :1046276128_motz:

Wrong topic but I think hes talking about EM3

Some things of note..

LAFD Changes

• LAFD's converted it's last Paramedic Engine to Paramedic Assesment. Due to staffing issues ranging from not enough medics to wanting medics to be able to rotate between Rescue Ambulances, Engines and Light Forces instead of just being stuck on the RA, they've dropped the staffing to just 1 Capt, 1 Engineer, 1 FF/EMT and 1 FF/PM from the 2 FF/PM's. This is seen as a semi-temporary solution until they can get more guys through medic school in the next few years.
  • LAFD EMS Supervisors are having difficulty with vehicles as their crown vics are on their last legs. They were going to purchase new SUV's customized for their needs, but so far thats been placed on hold. Right now at least 2 are using old BC SUV's but that hasnt worked out well due to the lack of space with all of the chief electronics and other crap in them. It's been such a hassle, I doubt you'll see those SUV's for much longer or any others switch to them until the purpose built ones are purchased.
  • LAFD ANSI-107 Vests have now been issued to all personell and are to worn on any incident that is on or near a street which goes a little farther then the Federal mandate.
  • Both LAFD and LACoFD will be contracting with a Skycrane to be deployed to Van Nuys Airport for this upcoming fire season again.
  • Latest RA's have toned down the striping on the rear big time due to complaints from civilians and personnel after following the vehicle and experiencing weird vision issues. Also timberwolf sirens have been replaced with EQ2B's. Honestly, you can't tell the diference between an Engine, RA or Light force anymore. They all sound the same rolling code.
  • LAFD Crew 3, the Type II Explorer staffed Hand Crew has completed the majority of its training and will be available for calls this summer once again. They are still utilizing the 2 former LACoFD Crew Carriers

LACoFD Changes

• Lots of changes regarding the squads. The heavy's now just carry more EMS equipment and gear, no longer any extrication tools. The new fords have a totally redesigned rear box area that incoporates the new HiViz stripes. Both the heavy and regular squads will have covered rear areas. Also the upcoming order is split in half with Dodge, so expect to see some new Dodge squads in the not so distant future.
  • ANSI-107 vests are coming out, not everyone has them yet.
  • LACoFD hasn't set a date yet for the super scoopers to be deployed to van nuys, but they are coming. Probably around october.
  • LACoFD Lifeguards have all switched over to the Ford Escape Hybrid SUVs. The old Nissan's are completely gone.

LASD Changes

• Noticing a weird trend with the cars with the MX7k lightbars. Not all of the crown vics are coming with the arjent, and the ones with the MX7k all have red/red LED steady burns on the lower level. Now you get a mix of Mx7k with red/blue, Arjents with red/blue and MX7k's with red/red lights
  • Malibu SAR had one of their trucks burn to the ground on an incident. They're getting ready to take delivery of a new one shortly.
  • No word on the ANSI-107 vests, all of the deputies pointed and laughed at the LAPD officers wearing them. They've neither recieved them, nor knew anything about them.
  • They're really pushing the Reserve deputy program into high gear and trying to get everyone certified Level I as well. The goal is to have at least a 1/4 to 1/2 of the cars on the street with 2 people inside.

LAPD Changes

• The dodge charger is looking like a no go. Few of them are left and the reports have not been exactly favorable of a large purchase. The biggest comments I've read in the evals from the officers in the Valley divisions are that it is just not a workhorse of a car with maintenance being high even with the test cars, the back seat is too small for a good percentage of transports, and the visibility is an issue. Whittier PD only gave them to corporals and above for just those reasons.
  • Supervisors vehicles are now coming with extra LED's in the turn signals, Red on front left, blue on front right, both red in rear tailights. These flash in an alternating triple pulse for the most part.
  • The newest Slicktops (LAPD calls them hybrids) now have Amber/Blue LEDs to the rear that alternate and are getting a single flashing blue LED light next to the steady burn red. They also have the led's in the turn signals
  • They got their new ANSI-107 vests over the weekend and its become a major issue. They're constantly getting caught on the radios, firearms, batons and all of the other stuff on their belt. The officers who tried them on all promptly shoved them back into their pouches and shoved them into the rear of the trunk.
  • They are still testing the full face helmet for Motor officers, but it has not been approved dept wide as of yet.
  • Hooper heliport has been shut down for some time due to a new roof being put on. For now all air units are flying out of Van Nuys airport, and so far, it's still just the 1 A-star and 1 Jet ranger in the black and white paint scheme. As much as its been a hit with the Officers and such, there is just no plan for it to be applied to any other air unit. Still no word on a Replacement for the old big blue huey for SWAT either. I'll ask more about that July 11th.

CHP Changes

• As you might have read in the Emergency Pics thread, the CHP dodge charger is a no go do to procurement issues related to the ballistic door panels. They'll keep what they have, but they've committed to ford till 2012
  • They're trying about 10 different new lighting schemes out right now including red/red leds on the mirrors and push bumpers. These are single slow synched flash lights.
  • Havent seen a single CHiPpy wearing the new ANSI-107 vest, so no idea what their status is.

I think that just about covers most of the major changes.

Nice read Mike. I know photography is your thing but any chance of some videos of the new light patterns? Are all lifeguards under LACoFD or just those on beach patrol? Hope you dont mind me being curios. :)

No videos, never been my cup of tea though I did put one up of the new arjent when it first came out. I might add others from the upcoming airshow depending on who is there.

As for the Lifeguards, they are part of the Los Angeles County Fire Dept. You can read more about them here though its pretty out-dated, 2005 I think was the last time it was updated.

The LA city lifeguards just work at one small section of beach in Cabrillo, but mostly respond and cover the cities lakes and parks. LA County has the rest of the cities beaches, from Venice to Malibu.

So are they going to be replacing the HES units with USAR or other units that carry extraction gear or what?

There has always been one Heavy squad per battalion that carried more gear then the rest. Because they now have even more medical gear to carry in case of WMD or medical disaster, the ability to carry things like blowers or extrication tools, which was a station/battalion choice, is just not feasible any longer. Extrication gear is now carried solely on the Quints, Light Forces, and USAR units. No units are being replaced or added.

There has always been one Heavy squad per battalion that carried more gear then the rest. Because they now have even more medical gear to carry in case of WMD or medical disaster, the ability to carry things like blowers or extrication tools, which was a station/battalion choice, is just not feasible any longer. Extrication gear is now carried solely on the Quints, Light Forces, and USAR units. No units are being replaced or added.

Stupid question whats is WMD?

I suppose that makes sense. By the way, when you worked in forestry did you ever have a wild animal get in one of the trucks? For real.

Nope, did end up with a Coyote in my tent on a fire in Montana once. Let me rephrase... HIS tent.

Stupid question whats is WMD?

That is a stupid question. Google it.

Guest firemanzac

Wow,

that is a switch. They have been carrying extrication equipment on the squads since the 1970's think "Emergency" (Squad 51). It kind of defeats the purpose of them being called squads or using that type of vehicle.

Zac

^I dont know if it has them or not by default if thats what you meant. Cant recall of hand but I was just saying if the mod gets changed for realism we would have jaws on 3 trucks from the sounds of it.

Extrication gear is now carried solely on the Quints, Light Forces, and USAR units.

A light force is a bls and a ladder,i believe, so I would guess that means both trucks carry jaws.

I would wait for Mike to clarify if both carry jaws or not.

^I dont know if it has them or not by default if thats what you meant. Cant recall of hand but I was just saying if the mod gets changed for realism we would have jaws on 3 trucks from the sounds of it.

A light force is a bls and a ladder,i believe, so I would guess that means both trucks carry jaws.

I would wait for Mike to clarify if both carry jaws or not.

A Light Force is a fully staffed and equipped truck, with a 1 man pumper that tags along. The pumper, in this case best known as the BLS Engine, carries just the equipment a standard engine would carry. In other words, the extrication, forceable entry, and specialized truck gear is carried just on the truck. In various occasions, such as a large brush fire with a heavy commitment of resources, the light force can be split up and the engine upstaffed without any worries that any gear is extra or missing to function as a full time front line engine. During last years wild fires, most Light forces were split up this way with the 2-cars able to cover empty stations or respond to the fire without a decrease in coverage or service, as the truck stayed fully staffed and just ran solo.

Thanks to all of the new paramedic toys and medications, not the least bit, the 12 lead monitor, the county paramedic squads are just running out of room for much more then that. I'll be down in the Malibu area this weekend and will hit up some squadies to see if they might be carrying extra gear due to their location. Covering Pacific Coast Highway from the city border to the Ventura county line, the only truck in BN5 is up at 125s and it can be an extended ETA over 30 mins trying to get through the canyons down to the coast. Seeing how many head on TC's and other issues they have, I would be shocked if they didn't find some way to keep their gear. But, we'll see by sunday.

yeah they must have alot of ambulances down in that area or am i just wrong cause that road is so dangrous i would not be supprised if they had a firestation every 15 miles