MikesPhotos

Offering my assistance.

Hi Hoppah, I noticed an increase of traffic to my website regarding the LA Mod and while I have not played the game, I've noticed quite a bit of mis-information on the various boards regarding units and uses in Los Angeles. If I can be of any assistance to you regarding LAFD/LACoFD protocols and units, as well as codes and terminology please feel free to ask. I've been with Los Angeles County FD since 2004 and work very closely in a mutual aid area with City as well as live in City's jurisdiction. Prior to that I was with the California Dept of Forestry and Fire Protection working throughout the state.

Just looking through the boards and screenshots, your mod looks very impressive. I can see you've taken a alot of time and care with it and if I can help in any way, just let me know.

Mike

:hallo: Hey Mike :welcome: to our forum, we could and would greatly appreciate your help in anything. Sorry for causing the unnecessary traffic to your site, I stumbled across while searching for pictures of LAFD trucks and etc and found your greatly detailed site on the Los Angeles County Fire Department. Figured it would be a good source for Hoppah to obtain the needed info.

But since now we got the chief of the site we're in good hands!!! :mukkies:

Hi Mike and :welcome: to our forums

we could and would greatly appreciate your help in anything.

As the question was for Hoppah I think you should let Hoppah answear ;)

Sorry for causing the unnecessary traffic to your site, I stumbled across while searching for pictures of LAFD trucks and etc and found your greatly detailed site on the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

In fact I don't think webmasters get angry about more traffic, as long it is not stolen bandwidth with hotlinked stuff

Hi,

Thanks for offering your assistance. It may sound stupid, but I'm actually looking for photo's from fire trucks taken from above. To make my vehicles even more realistic I need to know how the top looks like, so I can know where to place engine numbers or something.

You've found some misinformation regarding my mod? Maybe you can help with my mistakes. I am trying to keep my mod as realistic as possible, but can be very difficult sometimes as I'm not involved in emergency services. In fact, I don't even live in the US. So if you've found any mistake just post the right information if you want to.

btw If you're interested in 911 First Responders (= English/US Emergency 4) you might want to take look at this website:

http://www.atari.com/us/games/911_first_responders/pc

And again, thanks for your offer. If I need any help or tips I will contact you.

Hoppah

Hi,

Thanks for offering your assistance. It may sound stupid, but I'm actually looking for photo's from fire trucks taken from above. To make my vehicles even more realistic I need to know how the top looks like, so I can know where to place engine numbers or something.

You're quite welcome Hoppah, and that's not stupid at all! With a fleet as large as LA City's, you'll find that there are many differences between makes and models, from the Pierces to the Seagraves, and from year to year.

The basic rules are that Engines with Silver Roofs have a square red rectangle with white numbering as can be seen in this photo of LAFD E98.

Trucks GENERALLY do not have any numbering on the roofs, though some may have a similar square, but its rare.

RA's (Rescue Ambulances) that the new full red paint also have silver roofs and either have a small red rectangle with white number or a rectangle that stretches from left to right at the very back with the number in white. The pictures I have of this cannot be posted in this forum due to copyright issues, but if you pm me with an addy, I will gladly email them to you.

Most of the two color White/Red box ambulances are now 800 series BLS rigs and also feature the same square on their roof. LAFD Runs two types of ambulances. If it has the station number on it, say RA88, that is a paramedic ambulance from station 88. If there is a BLS (2 emt's staffed, no paramedics) ambulance at that station it is RA-888. On the radio, many times you will hear them call for "an 800" which is their slang for a BLS ambulance. This way people know just by looking at the numbers whether the rig is ALS or BLS.

Division and Battalion Chiefs and staff vehicles have so many varied paint schemes and models its almost impossible to have a definitive answer, but usually they have the number on the roof as well as in the side and rear windows as can be seen here and here.

EMS Captains have white roofs, with the battalion number on the roof. EMS 12 would have a 12 on its roof and be the Capt. for all of battalion 12.

You've found some misinformation regarding my mod? Maybe you can help with my mistakes. I am trying to keep my mod as realistic as possible, but can be very difficult sometimes as I'm not involved in emergency services. In fact, I don't even live in the US. So if you've found any mistake just post the right information if you want to.

To be honest, I think you've done a very very thorough job and what I meant by mistakes and misinformation was what some other people were posting TO you regarding the LAFD. One post stands out in particular, though I have not been able to find it again as of late. In it a user mentioned that LAFD used Blackhawks for their rescue helicopter and pasted a link to County Air Ops. LAFD Currently has a fleet of Bell 412s and 1 Jetranger for Air Operations. The 412s serve in the dual capacity of helicopter ambulance and are capable of dropping water with its belly tanks. A very critical mission for the 412s is to transport firefighters onto the roofs of High Rises in the Los Angeles Area to facilitate rescue and firefighting. The Jetranger is used for command and observation purposes only and is equipped with FLIR and other tools for mapping, searching, and assisting with fighting brush fires. It neither drops water nor performs any rescue duties. They have also just purchased two AugustaWestland AW139s which will be put into service shortly.

LA County Fire is the sole user of what is known as the Firehawk. A Modified UH60, the county uses it to transport County Camp crews to brush fires, conduct water drops, and function as an air ambulance. We also have 412s as well, but the Firehawk can carry much heavier loads and a lot more water which is critical for the Wildland Urban Interface. They also contract 2 Canadair SuperScoopers every fire season which are usually based at Van Nuys Airport.

As far as realism goes, the LAFD does not have a light equipment truck in its fleet. The closest thing to it would actually be the USAR rig which functions as a rolling toolbox if the nearest Light Force or Truck Company is otherwise occupied. Recently the LAFD has updated and replaced their USAR rigs with a new model. I've got some pics of it that if you care to bother with a new model and paint scheme.

Are you familiar with LAFD's concept of Task Force/Light Force by the way? It is something I've found to be very unique to the way we do things out here in LA, but has seemed to have spread to other parts of the country as well.

Also while reading the threads I noticed references to Sunstar and Signal's. LAFD does not use any signal codes, but instead uses the horribly named Clear Text method of dispatch. After the disastrous Oakland fire, a group was formed in california called FIRESCOPE. They looked at a lot of factors of what went so horribly wrong in that incident and developed the Incident Command System. One of the key "rules" is the use of clear text or plain speech and getting rid of all of the codes different departments were using at the time. Unfortunatly, clear text isn't all that clear at times. Most people outside of LA don't understand what a Physical Rescue assignment, or the difference between an "A" and a "B" assignment. Even the concept of Task Forces, Light Forces, USAR Task Forces (which generally consist of the two man USAR rig and the Light force at the same station) are gobbly gook to many outside of th department.

Also as the person said, Sunstar is their local FL EMS company. LAFD has it's own transport units.

btw If you're interested in 911 First Responders (= English/US Emergency 4) you might want to take look at this website:

http://www.atari.com/us/games/911_first_responders/pc

I have, and it looks like I'm going to be buying a new game very soon! Do you (or anyone) know if the download includes the manual? One thing I've found that I dislike about purchasing games that way is the lack of even a PDF manual at times!

And again, thanks for your offer. If I need any help or tips I will contact you.

Hoppah

You are quite welcome, like I said before, if I can help in any way, be it with phrasing, pictures, or anything. Please let me know.

:hallo: Hey Mike :welcome: to our forum, we could and would greatly appreciate your help in anything. Sorry for causing the unnecessary traffic to your site, I stumbled across while searching for pictures of LAFD trucks and etc and found your greatly detailed site on the Los Angeles County Fire Department. Figured it would be a good source for Hoppah to obtain the needed info.

But since now we got the chief of the site we're in good hands!!! :mukkies:

Thank's for the welcome and I don't mind the traffic at all! In fact, that's the reason why my site is a bit different then most. While many others will show one pic of each apparatus, you'll find dozens of the same rig on my page to help facilitate gamers and model builders who are looking for just that one angle or detail that isn't visible from the usual quarter angle shot.

The power of Google.com doesn't cease to amaze me in searches that come with great finds, like your site. I would've never came across if hadn't been for that one picture which i clicked that lead me to that albums with the LAFD GMC Suburban BT truck...

Thanks again. I won't add roof numbers to my fire trucks then. Maybe I should change the red ambulance in my mod, but it isn't very important. Those small things are for version 1.5 (1.4 will be released very soon).

I'm not going to change the helicopters, because I can't add new rotors to them. The rotor objects in Emergency 4 have animations and I can't make new ones. I can use the original rotor blades, but those are way too small and I can't just enlarge them. I was even thinking of removing the Army Blackhawk, because it has the size of a SUV in my mod.

The reason why I made the Light Equipment Truck is because people requested them. They are faster and cheaper than the normale fire engine's and good for small accidents on the freeplay map. The vehicle is based on this LACoFD vehicle, but my mod is more city orientated, so I decided to make a LA City FD version based on that model. There are much more vehicles in my mod which are completely made up, like the Mass Casualty Unit and Motorboat Transporter. But those two vehicles are actually required by the game. Without those you can't play the game.

Hoppah

Hi Hoppah and Everyone,

I finally found a friend with the game and spent the last few days playing it. I have to say that while there is a steep learning curve for some of the freeplay events, I've really had some fun with it. The mod is very well done, and the game itself lends to using standard tactics for the most part too. I took down some notes while playing the game and I hope they will be helpful to you and your team

• * · EMS Supervisor
    * · * · ○ The Battalion EMS Supervisor vehicle staffed by 1 Paramedic Capt for use as the medical unit leader and for supervision on certain incidents. He responds on all Air ambulance, Structure Fires, Large accidents, and Law Enforcement Incidents such as shootings, stabbings, and whenever a patient in custody is transported.
    * · * · ○ In the game, you might want to think of adding the ability to call for an Air ambulance and additional ambulances much the way a chief or police officer can. Perhaps make a special unit for this, similar to how you did with the Battalion chief?
  • * · Ambulances
    * · * · ○ LAFD has 3 types of Rescue Ambulances (RA's) in its fleet
    * · * · * · * § RA's with the station number on them are paramedic resources staffed by 2 Firefighter/Paramedics. For example, RA-88 will be the paramedic resource from Fire Station 88. These units perform all Advanced Life Support and Cardiac care and transport.
    * · * · * · * § RA's with an 800 or 900 series number are EMT staffed ambulances and perform Basic Life Support care and transport. They are staffed with 2 Firefighter/EMT's and an example would be RA-888.
    * · * · * · * § RA-51 responds out of LAX airport which is why the Lime/Yellow paint scheme to comply with FAA airport regulations
    * · * · ○ Most of the ambulances in service now are the all Red, with Diamond plate (silver) roof and 4 corner flashing LEDs. The 2 tone white over red are still found in service at times but mostly as reserve ambulances and 800 rigs.
    * · * · ○ The White over red Van style is no longer in use, but is a classic from the 80s and 90s
    * · * · ○ Pictures of the roof: (NOT taken by me)
    * · * · * · * § Pic 1
    * · * · * · * § Pic 2
    * · * · ○ I don't know if you've considered this, but have you thought about not using the Single Paramedic, and jut allowing the one with the strechers to both treat and transport? It'd save money in freeplay, save the number of clicks, and mean less units on scene at one time for better command and control. Plus it's bassically the way it is done in real life. You could then use the current single paramedic for the EMS supervisor and allow him to still treat, but have the additional functions.
  • * · Mass Casualty Unit
    * · * · ○ While LAFD does not have an apparatus like this, they do have Mass Casualty trailers similar to the one found at the Fire Station in game. The trailer is towed by a utility truck or other truck and it contains extra materials needed for large scale incidents such as extra tarps, signs, and medical equipment.
    * · * · * § Photo of LAFD Stake Bed truck taken by me
    * · * · * · □ Pic 1
    * · * · * § Photo and info of MCI trailer not taken by me
    * · * · * · □ Article
  • * · Rescue Helicopter
    * · * · ○ As hoppah has noted that he will probably not change the model of the helo, this model is that of the bell jetranger used by the LAFD for Command And Control and observation duties. It is not used for water dropping or air ambulance/rescue duties or for transportation.
    * · * · ○ LAFD currently uses the Bell 412 with a belly tank for High rise Helitac (land firefighters on top of the roof of a large building), Water Dropping, and Air ambulance/rescue duties. Helitac duties are performed by the firefighters at Fire Station 90 near the airport.
  • * · Battalion Chief Vehicle
    * · * · ○ All BC's in the city are staffed with 1 Capt who is the driver, and 1 Battalion chief. This allows the BC to concentrate on maps, radios, and the computers without being distracted by driving.
  • * · USAR Squad
    * · * · ○ LAFD's has recently purchased new USAR trucks for it's fleet. Staffed by 2 USAR trained firefighters, they respond to incidents as a rolling toolbox as well as to all search and rescue, confined space rescue and specialized incidents. Typically USARs will respond to Traffic Accidents and calls where forced entry is needed when the nearest Light Force is already on a Call or unavailable.
    * · * · ○ When needed for USAR duties, the USAR squad will roll with the stations Light Force to form a USAR task force. The Truck and Pumper provide extra equipment and provide the extra staffing needed. For example, USAR 88, Truck 88, and Engine 288 would form USAR Task Force 88
    * · * · ○ Photos of new unit will be up on my site shortly. Here are some NOT taken by me
    * · * · * · * § USAR 88 pic 1
    * · * · * · * § USAR 88 pic 2
  • * · Motorboat Carrier
    * · * · ○ LAFD does indeed have a navy! Using a mix of large and small fireboats to patrol the waterways to conduct firefighting and rescue operations, they are able to assist in the Harbors and rivers of the Los Angeles city area.
    * · * · ○ While I do not know for sure if the LAFD has a specific motorboat carrier, they do have a large fleet of Heavy Equipment and Semi-truck/trailer Transports. These are painted yellow and are used for moving Firefighting Dozers and Earth moving equipment as well.
    * · * · ○ Photos Taken by me:
    * · * · * · * § Pic 1
    * · * · * · * § Pic 2
    * · * · * · * § Pic 3
    * · * · * · * § Dozers and Transports Folder
  • * · Light Equipment Vehicle.
    * · ○ The LAFD does not have a truck like this in its fleet. The LACoFD Heavy Squad is staffed by 2 County Firefighter/Paramedics and is shaped quite a bit differently. Since LACoFD does not have it's own ambulances, it instead contracts out to local ambulance providers such as AMR, McCormick and others for its transportation. The Heavy Squads respond with the two paramedics and then the patient is either transported BLS just with the ambulance crew, or ALS with a paramedic and an EMT from the ambulance crew. The squad is equipped with a full complement of ALS medical gear, as well as cribbing and extrication / forceible entry tools.
    * · ○ While some have noticed how great it is to use this apparatus in game, which is what the Los Angeles County feels is its great benefit, the LAFD would use the USAR rig for that purpose.
    * · ○ Photos of LACoFD Heavy Equipment Squads including roof shots
    * · * · * § Squad 8
    * · * · * · □ Roof: Top view of Squad 8 - West Hollywood
    * · * · * · □ All Squad 8 pics
    * · * · * § Type Squad into search window for hundreds of pics of various County Squads
  • * · Aerial Ladder Truck
    * · ○ LAFD uses Tiller trucks which hoppah has stated are unable to be utilized in game. Having had the game only a couple of nights, I don't know for sure whether or not the Basket is neccesary, but LAFD's trucks do not utilized them.
    * · ○ LAFD and LACoFD utilize a Task Force/Light Force concept that is foreign to most people not inside of the department. The Light Force is made up of the Truck company staffed by 1 Captain, 1 Apperatus Operator and 3 Firefighters, as well as what is known as the 2 Car. The 2 Car is an Engine (pumper) that is staffed by 1 Engineer. The 2 car and the Truck respond everywhere together, and this allows the Light Force to act as either a heavily staffed Engine or Truck company on scene of an incident. The complaint against Quints is that they do everything, Just not very well. By responding 2 apparatus, this alows the light force to secure it's own a water source, have a full complement of hoses, and have all of the tools and equipment that the truck has without comprimise. A Task Force would be a fully staffed engine plus a light force.
    * · ○ It would be nice if you could somehow have one of the engines in game function as the 2 car, and be somehow tethered to the Truck in a Light Force way. For example, when the BC calls the Truck to the scene, both the Truck and the 2 car respond.
    * · ○ Another thing that might be worthy of changing is the effect of the aerials master stream. One of the key components of the Truck company is the effectiveness of the Aerial Master Stream for use in Structure fires. By utilizing a firefighter with a hose or attaching the monitor to the tip of the ladder, this allows Firefighters to have an extra reach and angle on the fire. Right now the stream has a very very short range for some reason, and I don't know if that can be changed. It should act much more like the water tenders canon, if not in flow then in range. This would increase the effectiveness of the Truck company in game and make it more accurate.
    * · * · * § Photos of LAFD Truck 9 and LACoFD Q125 at the Canyon Fire, Malibu, CA. Since County's quints only have a 75 foot ladder, LAFD T9 was requested for its 100ft aerial on Day 2. Running a hose off of Engine 35, they were able to hit all of the remaining hot spots and overhaul the collapsed tower better.
    * · * · * · □ Truck Ops at First Bank and Trust Q125 & T9
    * · * · * § Truck 73 roof
    * · * · * · □ Truck 73's roof
    * · * · * § Truck 88 roof:
    * · * · * · □ T88
  • * · LAX Crash Tender
    * · ○ Great job on the model! The LAX Crash units are staffed with ARFF (Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting) trained firefighters for use in airport incidents such as Fuel Spills, Medical Aids, and Crashes.
  • * · HAZMAT Squad
    * · ○ One thing to note, the word Truck has a very specific meaning in the Incident Command System. A truck is an apparatus with an Aerial ladder as well as a complement of ground ladders. Rigs like the USAR and Hazmat rigs are known as Squads which is a general term for any vehicle that does not have an aerial ladder or a pump.
  • * · Firefighting boat.
    * · ○ Just an amazing and great job on this! I'm very impressed on the level of detail and accuracy on this.
  • * · Fire Engines
    * · * · ○ Due to the LAFD being such a large department, you will find a mix of different makes and models of engines currently in use. Recently the department purchased both Seagraves and Pierces due to the need for new apparatus quickly and neither company being able to fulfill the complete order on its own. That is why you see Engines that look like 1 and 2.
    * · * · ○ One thing to note is that almost ALL apparatus that appear to be all red, actually have Diamond Plate (silver) roofs to refelct heat and sunlight away.
    * · * · ○ Typical staffing is a Captain, Engineer (driver), and 2 Firefighters, but in many areas the Engines are now either fully Paramedic or Paramedic Assesment Engines. Paramedic Engines have 2 members on board that are Paramedics, while PAUs have 1 member.
    * · * · ○ I was wondering if the Hose disconnect script could be modified to bassically be the reverse of the hose connect script? Right now they just disconnect and stand there. What I'd like to see would be that they disconnect and then enter the fire engine. Maybe I'm still new at this, but I find I spend a lot of time getting them back in the rigs and disconnecting everything.
    * · * · * · * § Photos of top of engine:
    * · * · * · * · □ LF73 from above
    * · * · * · * · □ Pic 1
    * · * · * · □ Pic 2
    * · * · * · * · □ Pic 3
    * · * · * · * · □ Pic 4
    * · * · * · * · □ Pic 5
  • * · Brush Truck
    * · * · ○ The LAFD has a small complement of Brush Patrols that are not staffed fulltime. Kept at the station, they are either staffed by 2 firefighters from the Engine, or are up-staffed during specific weather as a precaution.
    * · * · ○ Most are the pickup truck configuration like this one with a skid pump and tank in the back, but there are a few Hummer patrols in service as well.
    * · * · ○ The model isnt quite right, looking more like the US Forest Services patrols.
    * · * · * · * § LAFD Brush patrol Pictures including close up of skid
    * · * · * · * · □ Brush Patrol 28 Walkaround
    * · * · * · * · □ Pic 1 from Topanga Fire
    * · * · * · * · □ Pic 2 from Topanga Fire
    * · * · * · * · □ Pic 3 from Topanga Fire
  • * · Fire Fighting Aircraft
    * · * · ○ While the LAFD itself does not have it's own fixed wing aerial assest. On large incidents they can and often do request Aerial Tankers to respond to brush incidents in their jurisditcion. The California Dept of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) has a fleet of S-2T trackers that are available to all Local Government Fire Departments as specified in its Seven Points of Light policy which states that any LGFD can request Cal Fire resources for mutual aid and not have to worry about reimbursement. Also the LACoFD contracts with a company in Canada every summer/fall to bring CL-215 Super Scoopers into the Los Angeles area. In addition, there are numerous federal and call when needed aircraft like Tanker 910, a converted DC10 used for retardant and water drops.
  • * · Water Tender
    * · * · ○ The LAFD has a handfull of old water tenders in it's fleet. They are used on brush an grass fires and used at Helispots to refill the helicopters between drops. None have a water canon or look as nice as the model in the game. I believe the model used is of the LAFD Foam Tender which is a rather new rig and an amazing one at that. Used for Large Commercial Fires and other specialized calls, it can be a great assistance to firefighters on scene in safely putting a fire out.
    * · * · * · * § Photos of LAFD's Water Tenders
    * · * · * · * · □ WT66: Pic
    * · * · * · * · □ WT88: Pic
    * · * · * · * · □ LA City Park Ranger WT: Pic
  • * · Law Enforcement
    * · * · ○ I'm not an expert on these, though I work with both on a daily basis. Good job on the models and they are definetly fun to use in game.
    * · * · ○ One thing to note is that, while it would seem counter-intuitive, neither the motor officers no traffic and standard patrol officers wear Hivisibilty vests. Due to the call volume in the city, most traffic direction and such is either immediately handled by, or quickly passed on to the city's department of transportation units. LA DOT has a fleet of Parking and Traffic enforcement officers that respond to non injury accidents and defective street signals to free up LAPD units for handling Emergency calls. These men and women do wear Lime green/yellow hivis traffic vests for safety.
    * · * · * · * § LA City DOT - LADOT
    * · * · * · * § Photos not taken by me
    * · * · * · * · □ Pic 1 from flickr
    * · * · * · * § If you care to model them, let me know and I'll go out and grab some for you.
  • * · Misc Equipment
    * · * · ○ Bulldozer and Crane and Carrier
    * · * · ○ As noted before, the LAFD has numerous heavy Equipment vehicles in it's own paint scheme and markings. Staffed by department HFEOs (Heavy Fire Equipment Operators), these units are used to assist in brush fires, rescues, building fires, and for maintance and improvement of the city's fire roads in the hills as well as brush clearance.
    * · * · * · * § Photos
    * · * · * · * · □ Dozers Album
    * · * · * · * · □ Dozers Album 2
    * · * · ○ One Special vehicle is Heavy Rescue 56, a tow truck/crane that reponds on Physical Rescue Assignments and over the side rescues. It might make an interesting replacement to the Crane in game.
    * · * · * · * § Photo not taken by me
    * · * · * · * · □ HR56 Pic 1 from Firenews
    * · * · * · * · □ HR56 from Webshots
    * · * · * · * · □ HR56 from Pbase
  • * · The Engineer van modeled has the states CALTRANS (california dept of transportation) paint scheme and decals. The City of LA has it's own department of transportation and engineers for use on its roadways. Driving all yellow vehicles with the city symbol on its doors and Engineering or Transportation in block black letters under it.
    * · * · * § Photos
    * · * · * · □ This color and Markings cept says Engineering or Transportation
    * · * · * · * · □ Pic 1
    * · * · * · * · □ Pic 2
  • * · Standard Dispatches
    â—‹ "A" Assignement: Residential structure fire, unknown type fire. Normal response would be 1 Battalion Chief, 3 Engines, 1 Light Force/Truck Co, EMS Supervisor, and a Paramedic RA. Hazmat and USAR squad if near by for manpower and equipment
    * · * · * · * § Example: B10, TF88, E83, E78, EMS 10, RA88
    â—‹ "B" Assignment: Commercial or High Rise structure fire. Normal Respond would be 1 Battalion Chief, 4 Engines, 2 Light Force/Truck Co, EMS Supervisor, and a Paramedic RA. Hazmat and USAR squad if near by for manpower and equipment
    * · * · * · * § Example: B10, TF88, TF39, E78, E83, EMS 10, RA88
    â—‹ "C" Assignement: Special dispatch like a brush fire or search and rescue
    * · * · * · * § All calls get nearest engine and light force
    â—‹ Traffic Accident: Usually a light force or Engine and Paramedic ambulance
    â—‹ Physical rescue Assignment: Patients trapped insie of a vehicle. Nearest light force or USAR squad, for extrication and tools added to standard traffic accident, plus EMS supervisor depending on number of patients.
    â—‹ ALS Medical Aids: Engine or Light Force and Paramedic RA or Paramedic and BLS RA together
    * · * · * · * § The extra units are for man power to assist with lifting, treating and CPR
    â—‹ BLS Medical Aids: Engine or Light Force and BLS ambulance.
    * · * · * · * § The extra units are for man power to assist with lifting and treating
  • * · I have only had a chance to play the game for a very short bit, but I found the file that included the dispatches and tooltips for the freeplay events. I spent a few hours last night rewriting them to the correct LA speak and removed most of the codes. While I greatly enjoyed the sense of humor the original writer used, and his time and effort, the fact is many of the codes do not "travel" well. I have no idea what a Signal 4 or 38 is, and I'm pretty sure that many of the other users around the world do not as well.
  • * · Some things of note in the phrasing I used.
    * · * · ○ RP: Reporting party/person - responsbile person … the person who called 911
    * · * · ○ PR: Same as PR but used by LAFD dispatchers more often.
    * · * · ○ CAD: Computer Automated Dispatch. LAFD is pretty high tech in their dispatch matrices and procedures. Many times you'll here a unit on scene request an additional piece of equipment, such as a light force and the dispatcher will reply with "E98, the CAD recommends an EMS Supervisor, Light Force and BLS RA. Do you just want the light force?"
    * · * · ○ Metro Division: LAPD's special divison that includes SWAT.
    * · * · ○ OCD: Operations Control Division. The name of LAFD's dispatch center. On the radio you would hear "OCD, please respond an additional RA to my location"
    * · * · ○ Code 3: Lights and Sirens, emergency response
    * · * · ○ Stage 1 block out: Scene safety is important for all personell. When fire responds to a scene that PD has not yet secured, they will stop and park usually a block or 2 away from the incident until PD waves them in.
    * · * · ○ Light Force: a fully staffed truck and a pumper with an Engineer on it.

events.zip

Edited by MikesPhotos

Hi Mike,

I did not try all your links but all the ones I tried are coming up with errors!, Object not found or The page can not be found.

Could this be due to the new hotlinking rules?

Thanks for the information Mike, THIS is really helpfull! :D

I can't promise to change or add everything you said. Some vehicles are actually required or VERY handy by/for this game, like the Mass Casualty Truck, Motorboat Transporter (motorboat must be transported by road) and the water tender. I can't add good working trailers, so that's why the Motorboat Transport and Aerial Ladder truck don't have trailers.

This is what I'm going to do:

- Adding silver/diamond rooftops to most FD vehicles. I suppose the HAZMAT squad and the USAR squad have silver/diamond rooftops too?

- Changing the Light Equipment Vehicle to the LACoFD Heavy Equipment Squads version.

- Changing the Brush Truck.

- Adding "Call helicopter/ambulance" to single paramedics.

- Rename some of the vehicles.

- Adding your changed events.xml file. Did you test the file?

I finally have some rooftop pictures now. I didn't know about the silver/diamond rooftops simply because I didn't have the pictures. So thanks for the pictures.

What I'm not going to do:

- Removing the single paramedic. Most people think they're handy, some people think they should be removed. I want to keep some of the original EM4 gameplay, so I am not going to remove them. They're not irritating nor useless either.

- Removing the white over red van. This van was a requested vehicle on this forum. I added it, because it looked cool. If you don't like it, don't use it. I don't use that vehicle neither.

- Adding drivers. Too difficult to add and completely unnecessary. It will be very annoying if a vehicle must have a driver when you want to move it. And remember, EM4 is a game, not a (rescue) simulator.

But, THANKS again, for the information and the provided photo's. :)

After I have completed the Forest Service vehicles and the new mission I will start with changing the FD vehicles.

Thanks for the information Mike, THIS is really helpfull! :D

- Adding your changed events.xml file. Did you test the file?

- Removing the white over red van. This van was a requested vehicle on this forum. I added it, because it looked cool. If you don't like it, don't use it. I don't use that vehicle neither.

- Adding drivers. Too difficult to add and completely unnecessary. It will be very annoying if a vehicle must have a driver when you want to move it. And remember, EM4 is a game, not a (rescue) simulator.

But, THANKS again, for the information and the provided photo's. :)

After I have completed the Forest Service vehicles and the new mission I will start with changing the FD vehicles.

You are quite welcome. In regards to the xml file, I have gone over it again and noticed that there were actually 2 files that were in use when a call is dispatched. The events.xml and the supervevents.xml. By syncing them up using the fp file in specs, I was able to edit them in a way I feel is more concise. Now, the events.xml has the actual dispatch in a short and concise form that remains in the tab window, as well as tooltips with helpful information regarding what units are typically sent. The supervevents file has the extra information that you see when the call is first dispatched but that you really dont need to remain in the tab window.

For example a structure fire call will now show OCD: Structure Fire and the tool tip will show CAD recommends 1 Chief, 3 Engines, 1 Light Force, EMS Supervisor and Paramedic Ambulance for all Residential Structure Fires. Add an additional Engine and Light Force for all Commercial Structures. Request PD as needed for traffic control. And when its dispatched, you'll also see the extraneous info about a tv exploding or whatever the call particular is.

As for the Old 80's van, I was just going through all of the units and commenting on them. Personally, I absolutely love seeing them in game and use them for nostalgia's sake.

In regards to the driver, I think you may have misunderstood my point. By adding a second seat to the vehicle for a Firefighter ( a captain really), it becomes usefull for large events like a gas explosion or the arsonist. By assigning him a group hot key, say 6, you can quickly jump to that side or area of the incident. As units move around and are redeployed, he can remain in place as what we call the division or group supervisor. The vehicle still acts as all of the other vehicles do, but I've found that the game translates really well into real life tactics in this regard. Right now i'm using the vehicle itself as one of my division supe's but it'd be easier with the "driver" to head to the back area so i can keep a better eye on all aspects of the incident. No need to edit the core game mechanics of the vehicles, but I'm always a big fan of more bodies on an incident.

I do have one question that you might be able to answer. I've tried looking in the editor and in the various xml's and haven't quite found the info I'm looking for. Is there a place that defines the power, strength or gallons per minute/ammount of water put out by 1 hose, the water tender, the lax tender, and the truck's aerial? I'm curious if they are equal, or if one puts out more then the other so I can better utilize the resources in game.

Oh and one other thing that is trivial at best, but in the State of California, all Emergency vehicles, be they Police, Fire, or EMS have a single steady burning red light facing forward. On vehicles with a lightbar, it is usually a smaller lower level light steady burns. LAPD and most other Law Enforcement agencies will steady burn a red and a blue lower level, while the CHP usually has 1 or two pods that steady burn just red. Fire and ambulances will just have 1 steady burn red light in the lower part of the bar or satisfy the requirement with a grill light. For slicktops, most PD be they CHP or LAPD will have a steady burn red by the rear view mirror, and rarely, they'll add a flashing blue next to it. Fire slicktops just stick with the single red.

LAPD Crown Vic with Red and Blue steady burn

CHP slicktop with the center mount red steady burn

CHP with dual reds on

Even the motor units have to have a single red steady burn light

Los Alamitos Motor Unit with Center Steady burn red.

It's one of the quirks of California that you don't really see anywhere else in the US or the world. This is all just for info only, since I figured some of you might be interested.

events.zip

Thanks for the information and the text files. Your information quite interesting.

I do have one question that you might be able to answer. I've tried looking in the editor and in the various xml's and haven't quite found the info I'm looking for. Is there a place that defines the power, strength or gallons per minute/ammount of water put out by 1 hose, the water tender, the lax tender, and the truck's aerial? I'm curious if they are equal, or if one puts out more then the other so I can better utilize the resources in game.

Someone had the same question in this topic

You can change the water strength in the extinguish commandscript (".../Mods/Los Angeles Mod v1.4/Scripts/Game/Commands/extinguish.script").

The strength (energy) of each water equipment/tool/cannon can be found in the script. I made a list:

TLF (Water Tender): 25

FLB (Fire Boat): 30

LPF (Crashtender): 25

LF (Fire Airplane): 70 (not sure if this is correct)

Firehose: 20

Extinguisher: 12,5

Watercannon on Aerial Ladder basket: 25

Oh and one other thing that is trivial at best, but in the State of California, all Emergency vehicles, be they Police, Fire, or EMS have a single steady burning red light facing forward. On vehicles with a lightbar, it is usually a smaller lower level light steady burns. LAPD and most other Law Enforcement agencies will steady burn a red and a blue lower level, while the CHP usually has 1 or two pods that steady burn just red. Fire and ambulances will just have 1 steady burn red light in the lower part of the bar or satisfy the requirement with a grill light. For slicktops, most PD be they CHP or LAPD will have a steady burn red by the rear view mirror, and rarely, they'll add a flashing blue next to it. Fire slicktops just stick with the single red.

It's one of the quirks of California that you don't really see anywhere else in the US or the world. This is all just for info only, since I figured some of you might be interested.

Hey Mike:

Am I correct that unmarked/slicktops use blue/yellow flashing facing the rear? I've seen it that way in quite a few places, and I see that Hoppah noticed them on the SEB Rescue Trucks. I'm not sure if it's required, like the CA Steady Burn Law, but I've seen it that way on movies like "SWAT" and "Dirty".

Thanks for the great info!

Novius

EDIT: I've found some pics of slicktop CHP Units that have red & Blue over a treaffic advisor, but I'm sure I've seen blue & Yellows, too (Check the back of the bomb squad van on policecarsite.)

This pic is not mine VV

Pic of CHP Slicktop Rear

Hey Mike:

Am I correct that unmarked/slicktops use blue/yellow flashing facing the rear? I've seen it that way in quite a few places, and I see that Hoppah noticed them on the SEB Rescue Trucks. I'm not sure if it's required, like the CA Steady Burn Law, but I've seen it that way on movies like "SWAT" and "Dirty".

Thanks for the great info!

Novius

EDIT: I've found some pics of slicktop CHP Units that have red & Blue over a treaffic advisor, but I'm sure I've seen blue & Yellows, too (Check the back of the bomb squad van on policecarsite.)

This pic is not mine VV

Pic of CHP Slicktop Rear

I am not certain if it is a law or just a recommendation/guideline, but along with the red to the front, they must have at least one flashing amber (yellow) to the rear. For Fire/EMS Vehicles you will usually see an alternating red and amber pattern to the rear, for law enforcement, it will be blue, red and amber. For LAPD, they usually just have a single dual flasher on the drivers side of the vehicle (left) that flashes Blue and Amber for their unmarked cars like this pic of a Santa Monica PD unit . Other setups include blue/amber, and red/amber with a traffic advisor. Here is a closer view of a typical chp setup like that.

One law that is in the California Regulations book that very few people know about or even bother to follow is that there are only 3 tones allowed on a siren in California. Yelp, Wail and Airhorn. Two tone, phaser, and all of those other sounds you find on a typical siren are illegal in this state. Though I've rarely seen it enforced, i can recall an accident that occured in Riverside County where the unit was running through an intersection with phaser. Even though the civilian turned left in front of him to try and beat him to the intersection, the operator of the vehicle was found to be at fault for using an unnapproved tone.

Oh and as for the SEB rescue truck, here is a walk around of that vehicle used with Air 5.

Guest RunAwayScientist
[*] · I have only had a chance to play the game for a very short bit, but I found the file that included the dispatches and tooltips for the freeplay events. I spent a few hours last night rewriting them to the correct LA speak and removed most of the codes. While I greatly enjoyed the sense of humor the original writer used, and his time and effort, the fact is many of the codes do not "travel" well. I have no idea what a Signal 4 or 38 is, and I'm pretty sure that many of the other users around the world do not as well.

Hey Mike, how's it going?

Thanks for re-writing the fire dispatches to be more concise and accurate. While you work closely with FD, I'm a PD guy so I wrote those dispatches out of what I know and tried to keep it realistic. Minus the part about God being an arsonist. I guess he decided he just wanted to give the fire department something to do besides sit at the FD and eat chili all day :rolleyes: . Ironically, most of the fire-fighters seem to use my voice in the mod.....

They were thinking about changing us over to a plain-english policy in Florida as well for all departments; but I don't necessarily see the wisdom in that. During inter-agency co-operation between counties, I could absolutely see that as a good thing. However, some people need a lesson in proper radio etiquette. Do you guys use codes within the city on your radio during normal ops or are you mandated to do away with the radio codes completely?

I'm downloading 1.4 right now so I'll have to wait to see what you did with the dispatches. I'm guessing you only changed the fire dispatches? I suppose I'll find out. I'll be sure to add my comments in here if I have any.

I think I speak for all of us Emergency 4 junkies when I thank you for your help and cooperation and interest in working with Hoppah....and yada yada you know the rest. Welcome aboard the family wagon!

--RunAwayScientist