MikesPhotos

Offering my assistance.

Hey what is the purpose of This truck?

It looks cool lol

Communications on large scale incidents is one of the largest priorities and headeaches faced by the fire service throughout the nation. Here in Los Angeles, it is compounded due to the fact that we have so many agencies that work so closely together and yet are unable to speak directly to each other. LACoFD is on a 470mhz UHF-T system, LAFD is on an 800mhz conventional system, USFS is on VHF High, and many others are on the new ICIS trunked system like Burbank and Culver City. Slowly but surely, all of th departments are working diligently together to link up their communications for the future, but that takes time, money and infrastructure that just doesn't exist quite yet.

Because of that, large departments like the LAFD have purchased special vehicles that can respond to an incident and supplement the communication needs of that incident. By having a radio that covers every band, Computer terminals, patch capabilities and other tools, it gives the Incident Commander the ability to effectively communicate with everyone on the incident. LAFD has both the Communications Interoperability Units and volunteer HAM based Auxillary Communication Services units. You can find pics of both on my site at:

CIU

ACS

Mike

Hey Hoppah, I just wanted to give you a heads up about the latest batch of pics I posted on my website. These are from an Apartment house fire in LAFD's 88's area. Battalion 10, EMS 10, Light Force 102, Light Force 88, Engine 78, Taskforce 39, Rescue Ambulance 88 and 78 were on scene. You can view all 95 pics here

But just some things to point out:

LAFD-VDM-002 & 003 <-- LAFD Paramedics changing into SCBA and turnout gear

008 & 009, 099. 100, 105, 107, 114 <-- Battalion Chief with White Helmet and old style brush jacket and black pants, EMS 10 Captain with Structure Jacket. You can tell the difference between the Structure and the Brush gear from the rear by the Reflective striping. Structure gear has the Square Box, Brush gear just has the horizontal stripes. One thing to note in 99 is the Captain Driver in the BC SUV. He is bassically the assistant to the Chief and does everything from monitoring the radios, watching the clocks, and acting as an additional set of eyes and ears on the incident. The biggest reason for drivers is that it allows the Chief to focus on the radios, computer, maps and such while enroute since the captain is driving.

010,097,098, 109, 110 <--- Deck gun on Engine 239 (part of Light Force 39) with the long smooth bore nozzle on it.

013 & 014 & 120<-- Rear of Truck 102 with arrow bar at the top of the tillermans cab.

019 <-- No arrow bar at all on T88, so you can pretty much choose whether or not to have one on your truck

021 <-- Firefighters on the left have changed into a brush jacket just for comfort while packing up their gear, Firefighters on the right have Structure gear on. The brush jacket is light weight and feels almost like a long sleeve shirt.

022 <-- Close up of the SCBA gear, notice the firemans axe on the hip.

051 <-- 3 different angles of the Phenix helmet. Orange signifies Captain.

059 <-- Captain on the right with EM10 on his helmet and wearing the black pants is the EMS Captain

063 <-- Never seen anyone do this before, but jacket sleave has the old unofficial patch with PARAMEDIC under it. That was something new to me, even for an EMS Capt.!

092 through 096 <-- Close up of Deck gun on E288

Hope these help.

Mike

Nice photo's Mike. :D

I think I have more than enough photo's for now, but it's always nice to see new ones. :)

Well no new pics from me this time, but I do have some information that you might find useful. Not to long ago I convinced a good kid I met at the market to go for his EMT certification. I checked in on him a couple times and was very proud when I learned that not only did he pass the class but also joined the LAFD explorer program. It has been a while, but I ran into him the other day and found out that the Los Angeles City Fire Department is finally catching up with County in one regards! They have started their own Type II hand crew. Type II means they only do mop-up/cold trailing, not direct fire attack or suppression, and the crew is made up of Explorers who have passed their wildland certifications.

They've even purchased a couple of older county crew buggies and stationed them at Fire Station 88 in Sherman Oaks. These are NOT my pics, but you can see them here and here

I'll try and stop by 88's during the week and grab some shots for my own collection if nothing else. With the City of LA having jurisdiction over the Hollywood Hills as well as the Wildland Urban Interfaces in Chatsworth, Tujunga, and Sunland, this crew is definetly a step in the right direction.

Hi Mike

I need your help again. Can you get/make some pictures of the top of the HAZMAT squad or USAR squad vehicles?

I'm pretty certain those look something like the top of this Rehab-Air Tender you posted a while ago, but I need some more detailed shots. I don't really know what to change right now. :)

Thanks in advance,

Hoppah

Guest Nicoleise

I know this wont be as much of a contribtion as the AMAZING and AWESOME effords by Mike. Anyhow, I'd thought I'd help as well. And since I all talents of modding have abandonned me, I'm gonna just stick to feedback and ideas :

- Small Equipment Vehicle. The SUV from EM3 LA mod. I miss it. Even though we got the truck now, there was something about that SUV. :) Found it really nice, so if you'd consider adding it, I'd be pleased.

- TEC units. I miss the small truck with the light thingies. And that got me thinking. How about adding a Pick Up type vehicle to the TEC force, and give them much more to do. Most of the commands and scrips are in the mod already, just for police. I'm thinking about stuff like traffic cones, traffic vests, floodlights (on car and standalone), maybe the option to call a tow truck, directional lights, the ability to redivert traffic or stop traffic (I know it's a PD duty, but still). I think that'd be awesome. The van and the Pick up could differ in what they could do.

I'll post some more thoughts if I get any, but these are what I thought of so far. :) Let me know what you think.

- TEC units. I miss the small truck with the light thingies. And that got me thinking. How about adding a Pick Up type vehicle to the TEC force, and give them much more to do. Most of the commands and scrips are in the mod already, just for police. I'm thinking about stuff like traffic cones, traffic vests, floodlights (on car and standalone), maybe the option to call a tow truck, directional lights, the ability to redivert traffic or stop traffic (I know it's a PD duty, but still). I think that'd be awesome. The van and the Pick up could differ in what they could do.

I think this post would probably fit better in the main thread, but I'd like to comment on this part. The City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation includes a Parking Enforcement and Intersection Control Division. Their responsbility is to respond to all traffic control issues where PD is either not needed or to busy to respond. The LAPD does NOT respond to non-injury accidents, instead DOT will be requested for traffic control and to call a tow. They basically function just like you mentioned but respond in various small cars instead of trucks. They all have traffic cones, barricades, can erect lights, call for tow, divert/stop traffic.

Here are some pics of the Traffic officers doing what they do best. Notice the white gloves, lime green vest with Traffic officer on the back and pershing hat.

Traffic Control

Back of Vest

Doing what they do best

On Scene of an accident

Vehicles: Notice the amber lightbar, these are NOT police officers and do NOT respond with sirens.

Good series of an LAFD incident with Parking Enforcement on Scene

Hoppah, if you'd like to add LADOT, just let me know if you need any other shots.

Mike

I am going to preface this post by first stating that these are NOT my photos, and secondly, I have heard nothing, nor have I EVER seen one of these in person. I don't know if these are test cars, if they're for a movie, or if they're figments of my imagination for that matter.

But apparently, there are a couple of LAPD chargers out driving around!

So cal Metro Pic 1

So Cal Metro Pic 2

and 7 shots on this website

IMG_4067.JPG

So.... take it for what it's worth. I'll ask around but so far, it's taken me by complete surprise.

Well, I had a feeling something was fishy. The car in the 2nd set of pics was a "demo" car used for a photo shoot about the LAPD testing the charger. As of right now, it will be a very very limited test and the reaction has been very negative from what i've been told. LASD tested them in 2006 along with a few other cars, and you can see there results here

Also, I don't know if spaloo checks this forum anymore, but this is a pic for you of an LACoFD Medic Ambulance. (Not Mine)

PICT0095.jpg

(taken by LA Fire photo)

Guest Nicoleise

Sorry for taking so long to reply again, has been a few busy days. :)

Also sorry for posting the wrong place.

Those are great pics of the Parking people. I think I'll try my hand at modding those for my own personal use. Have to start over fresh though. Last I tried modding, it went horribly bad :D

Mike, quick random question.

I thought I saw in most of your pictures wood ladders being used. Is there any reason why the LAFD and LA County still use wood ladders? How to you manage the continual upkeep required?

The use of wooden ladders is actually still quite popular here on the west coast. Of the 16 departments that still use them that I am aware of, 12 are in California! I'd like to point you to this article regarding some of the reasons for their continued favored use out here.

The major pro's are that in a highly dense urban landscape like you find in Los Angeles, the fact that they are non-conductive, retain their strength when exposed to heat, and that defects like scorching and cracks are readily visible make them very attractive options. While weight, cost and upkeep are issues, they are easily mitigated by proper training and a good department maintenance plan.

While I cannot speak for LA City's upkeep, I know that in the County we have a great program that starts in the station and progresses to the maintenance shops. LA County is a special department in that we have everything from regular fire stations, to a large air force, and a forestry program with inmate and paid crews. Even the life guards are part of the los angeles county fire department! With such diversity and territory, the added requirements that wooden ladders place on us are easily managed and the benefits outweigh the required man hours and special needs.

Mike

Also, I don't know if spaloo checks this forum anymore, but this is a pic for you of an LACoFD Medic Ambulance. (Not Mine)

PICT0095.jpg

(taken by LA Fire photo)

I can't believe my eyes. First of all, Every LACoFD medic I've ever known has loved the squads (or ALS engines). It's nice to ship a BLS Pt and be available again for the next call. That especially holds true in Willowbrook. Yeah, it's a relatively small coverage area, but it's one of the most violent, and has to be one of the highest volume of calls per capita. Now they don't even have an ER in their back door, and NOW they want to use an ALS ambulance?

Also, with all my money LACoFD has, you'd think they could front the money for a new ambulance! That thing is straight from 1991. THey can afford 100 new KME predators, but they cant afford a $60k ambulance? It doesn't make sense.

Thanks Mike (and whoever snapped the picture) for the mindblowing photo. I still can't believe it.

Also, with all my money LACoFD has, you'd think they could front the money for a new ambulance! That thing is straight from 1991. THey can afford 100 new KME predators, but they cant afford a $60k ambulance? It doesn't make sense.

I'm not exactly privy to the exact budget figures the County has, but none of the ambulances were actually purchased. Instead they all came over with various city contract acquisitions over the years. Instead of selling them, a few were kept for special occasions and emergency duty. You are absolutely correct though in the fact that there are no County medics who are in favor of going to a transport model like Los Angeles City and Long Beach, but instead these units are pressed into service due to special needs in some areas. None are fully staffed year round or even weekly, but instead they are specially staffed during occasions when ER/ED saturation is at a critical level. Even with the new private ambulance contracts through out the county, there are times when every available private transport in that contract is stuck holding up the wall and the next companies transport cannot respond in a reasonable amount of time. When that occurs, the MA will be staffed as well as at times when additional paramedic resources are needed in an area.

Station 41, as of this week, now has it's own squad, and expect more changes in that area soon. The truly unfortunate fact is that with todays ER/ED crisis getting worse and worse daily, it is left to the Men and Women on the front lines of pre-hospital emergency care to shoulder the burden.

Mike

Guest LAPDguy
I am going to preface this post by first stating that these are NOT my photos, and secondly, I have heard nothing, nor have I EVER seen one of these in person. I don't know if these are test cars, if they're for a movie, or if they're figments of my imagination for that matter.

But apparently, there are a couple of LAPD chargers out driving around!

So cal Metro Pic 1

So Cal Metro Pic 2

and 7 shots on this website

IMG_4067.JPG

So.... take it for what it's worth. I'll ask around but so far, it's taken me by complete surprise.

My dad was talking about the LAPD reciving some chargers last year in like Nov. but he said he hasen't seen one yet but they have talked about bringing them into service.

Hey Hoppah, as I've said before... ask and ye shall receive! I've uploaded 89 photos of the LAPD and LASD's arjent as well as a walk around video to youtube so you can see the flash pattern of LASD's.

LAPD-Arjent-012.jpg

LAPD Arjent

LASD-LAVC-003a.jpg

LASD Arjent

LASD Arjent video (note steady burn red/blues, flashing take downs (clear center lights) and flashing alley lights.)

I won't have much time to check the board for the next few days, but if you'd like the higher-res pics, email me and I'll get those to you.

Mike

MikesPhoto, it's nice to meet you.

I have a question regarding LAFD Apparatus: I saw one of your LAFD Ariel pictures ( the new one) and i noticed they replaced their Emergency Light bar with LED Bar. ( sorry i don't know the brand name :P)

Are the LAFD currently replacing their lights or it's only factory made of the New, ordered Apparatus??