MikesPhotos

Offering my assistance.

I believe it. When you're the first to make a purpose built car, there's a lot of custom work that no one will have support for. I agree with the price concern. There's a few features (They may already be optional) that I wouldn't make standard. Like the LoJack, redundant arrays, Voice commands, heck, half the christmas tree. It'd be less cool than the full model, but you don't need every car to have LoJack guides. That'd cut the cost down by a few itself. Just have a couple LoJack enabled chase cars in your fleet.

LE will never fully step away from consumer models. There's too much benefit in having an otherwise standard looking vehicle in an agressive traffic area, or for tailing high risk subjects. The E7 might work out for LE, it might not. The Charger is in the same place. Lots of people like it, lots of people don't. The CV was in the same place when Chevy dropped the Caprice. I heard a lot of wistful lament when senior officers finally had to let go of the LT1 engine. Time will tell, and it'll be mixed reviews of those who want a purpose built car, those who can afford a purpose built car, and those who have sufficient need for a purpose built car.

I wouldnt be happy if i had to drop the LT1 for the CV engine.

Mike, or Novious, in larger cities like Chicago I notice they have officers standing in intersections directing traffic to help keep intersections clear for the most part I would guess, but are these types of officers utilized in LA much?

Mike, or Novius, in larger cities like Chicago I notice they have officers standing in intersections directing traffic to help keep intersections clear for the most part I would guess, but are these types of officers utilized in LA much?

Let me see if I can't find Mike's quote on that... I remember seeing something about it a while back.

Here we go:

Mike's Post

One thing to note is that, while it would seem counter-intuitive, neither the motor officers no traffic and standard patrol officers wear Hivisibilty vests. Due to the call volume in the city, most traffic direction and such is either immediately handled by, or quickly passed on to the city's department of transportation units. LA DOT has a fleet of Parking and Traffic enforcement officers that respond to non injury accidents and defective street signals to free up LAPD units for handling Emergency calls. These men and women do wear Lime green/yellow hivis traffic vests for safety.

There's pics associated on his post as well. I know that LAPD CAN and WILL do traffic direction, but as Mike has mentioned, there's other departments to cover it. To be fair, I've never seen(although I know they exist) any slicktops or unmarked units with a T/A in the rear window like the mod has. It's nice to have it available, but I've only seen them with blue/yellow lights on the package shelf. I usually see more 2 cars in the light force blocking the road off than LAPD cars.

Guest Taylor

Price is the only issue. They said they're going to do something with parts availability. I actually talked to one of the co-founders of Carbon briefly. They're all former LEO's too.

I've never seen a bomb robot not actually be wired to the controller, so I couldn't tell you if they even have radio controlled robots. I thought they wired them to keep that from happening, same as cutting radio traffic in the area.

To the best of my knowlage bomb robots controlers that are wirless (occasionaly) are tuned to a specific frequency in which is only for that one robot, like each radio station has there own channel each bomb robot has there own but this one is WAY more specific, and is a 1 in a 1,000,000 frequency. I could be wrong though. :)

Mike:

I've been wanting to redo my radio transmissions ingame for some time, and I can't find any research on LAFD Radio codes.

If you could give me a quick overview on codes, that'd be great. I still haven't decided how to call my codes out for standby and return to base, though I think they'll be variations of code 4 for LAPD.

EDIT: Since La Canada is burning, and Rancho PV just died down, I imagine you'll be busy for a while. No rush, and be safe. We're all very grateful for your service.

I've been wanting to redo my radio transmissions ingame for some time, and I can't find any research on LAFD Radio codes.

Radio codes are rapidly disappearing. Plain Language communication is becoming the standard. That way, nobody needs to get out their decoder ring when operating with a different agency.

Radio codes are rapidly disappearing. Plain Language communication is becoming the standard. That way, nobody needs to get out their decoder ring when operating with a different agency.

While this is true, there are still codes being used for safety purposes, and truncation of otherwise long transmissions in LA. Specifically, I'm looking to record over the 10-codes that are being used in the LA Mod right now, as they're not LA realistic.

Hi mike,

I made an American La france cab for the tiller truck, I want to release it as a submod when 1.9 comes out, my question: is the trailer diffrent than the trailer hoppah made?

In all actuality, the back part of a tiller aerial isn't really a trailer. An easy way to think of a tiller is that it's an articulated vehicle much like a large 4WD farm tractor or a wheeled front-end loader.

The tractor and aerial can't be separated, so an ALF (American LaFrance) tractor would have a slightly different aerial unit than say a Simon.

They do not patrol. The presence of an ambulance does not lower injury-rate in the same way a patrolling police car lowers crime-rate.

Sometimes, they can be present in festivals, concerts or something like that. Maybe even grabbing lunch from McDonalds and thus they are visiting the city.

They do not patrol. The presence of an ambulance does not lower injury-rate in the same way a patrolling police car lowers crime-rate.

Sometimes, they can be present in festivals, concerts or something like that. Maybe even grabbing lunch from McDonalds and thus they are visiting the city.

Of course it doesnt lower injury-rate but it could lower response times.

How do you know this applies to LA though?

patrolling has nothing to do with reducing anything, he meens, are they dispatched out of a station or are they out of something bigger ( like a large city owned warehouse) where they come in, sign out a unit and are given an area of the city to respond in, say a 20 block radius. i worked for a paid service like AMR in scranton PA and thats how we were... came in, got our bus and area assignment and the only reason we should have been back to the "station" was to catch up on run sheets, change out trucks, bring the dispatcher lunch/coffie ect. lol

Well LAPD divers would have training in different things than the LAFD counterparts...

Why train a firefighter how to use a big gun, when you can have police learn it instead... Plus, it's easier to work with your own department then outsourcing... At least that's how I see it

As for the Ambulances. I am not 100% sure, but I think they dispatch mainly from stations, and ambulances are not usually patrolling, however they may be out and around the city, for lunch, just waiting, or whatever. I know here, they have a bay under the main hospital in the underground parking garage, that is devoted for ambulance parking only, and usually ambulances will leave from there. Now of course there are the ones out and about the city at the other hospitals, at different stations, and of course, 1 or 2 out and about.

^yeah AMR runs in an old warehouse here and the units are positioned/patrolling through out the city.

Also wondered why LAPD has there own dive team rather then relying on LAFD?

To Quote Brian humphrey:

"LAFD Firefighter/Divers are assigned full-time to three of our five fireboats.

There are a total of eight divers on-duty at all times at the Los Angeles Fire Department. There are two assigned to each of the three small fireboats (Boats 1,3,5) mentioned above, and one backup diver each at the Fire Stations that house the larger fireboats (Boats 2 and 4). "

My assumption is LAFD divers are very busy, plus LAPD divers undergo special port security training etc., Also I assume from this that UDU is probably the unit called to emergency dive situations off major waterways.

*According to an article I just read, LAFD divers are brought to scenes off via helicopter for off the coast/harbor water rescues, stills seems to me UDU could prove faster,and have more equipment.*

The hummer is up in the Antelope Valley which, for those unfamiliar with SoCal, is basically all desert and canyons which is the perfect terrain for an off road vehicle like the Hummer. There are many calls there for missing and injured due to off road vehicle accidents such as dirt bikes and atvs. The hummer allows the LASD Reserve Deputies of the SAR team to be able to get there and effect a rescue and initiate medical treatment. It's not an ambulance or anything, just a better way of moving people and gear in off road areas.

Does any one know the extent of there training as to weather they provide ALS or BLS?

Just a guess but due to the rural location and geography it would be ALS, but just checking as I wanted to add such a team to the hummer. I like to post it up on the large hill in the upper right corner of the map.

EDIT: I ended up finding an answer:

http://lasdreserve.org/SearchAndRescue.htm

Guess I was wrong as they only have to be an EMT.

I ran a few calls with LASD SAR. They are BLS. They respond when requested (if requested). I remember LACOFD was big on just doing it themselves, but maybe things have changed. The two calls I saw LASD SAR was a) a mountain biker who fell about 6 miles up a trail in the Angeles National Forest (ANF) and had to be driven out (we had LASD Air 5 on that call, too). and B) a dog somehow made it's way halfway down an 80 foot cliff. LASD rappelled down, secured the dog. LACoFD LF 82 got their aerial up to get everyone off the cliff.

That's my experience. They are definitely BLS, last I checked. If they need ALS, that's what the LACoFD squads are there for.