MikesPhotos

Offering my assistance.

Welcome Mike

I hope you can help me load the new freeplay map by explaining how to do that. I do not have the Deluxe but just EM4/911 First Responders. Just to let you know I'm a former Volunteer member @ Benicia Vlunteer unit In Benicia, Ca in Solono County. Now I live in Ocean View, De.

Download The New Freeplay Map Version 1.1

Download links below the instructions. Read the instructions first!!! I made them with a reason.

Installation Instructions:

1. Download and unpack the New_Freeplay_Floor.zip file. (25mb's! large)

2. Move the folder 'Los Angeles Mod v1.7' to your Emergency 4/Mods folder. (I Couldn't Find that Folder)

3. This is a universal file, so it's for both versions and won't replace any file.

Now you should have in your mods\Los Angeles Mod v1.7\maps the following file: newfreeplay.eft

(So you don't have to rename it!)

4. Download and unpack the New_Freeplay_deluxe.zip OR New_Freeplay_normal.zip file. (Depending on you version of em4)

5. Move the folder 'Los Angeles Mod v1.7' to your Emergency 4/Mods folder.

6. Make sure all older files will be overwritten (otherwise you did something wrong).

COSRES

1) go into my computer

2) click on the disc where the game is installed ex.: (C:)

3) click on file that says program files.

4) click on the file that says Wizard Works.

5) click on the 911 first Responders/EM4 file.

6) click where it says mods, and then click on whatever version of LA mod you want to install the new map in.

7) click on maps.

8) finally move the files from the map folder one by one into the mod's map file and make a back up of the original files, incase somthing goes wrong or you want to play on the old map again.

that's how I do it.

1) go into my computer

2) click on the disc where the game is installed ex.: (C:)

3) click on file that says program files.

4) click on the file that says Wizard Works.

5) click on the 911 first Responders/EM4 file.

6) click where it says mods, and then click on whatever version of LA mod you want to install the new map in.

7) click on maps.

8) finally move the files from the map folder one by one into the mod's map file and make a back up of the original files, incase somthing goes wrong or you want to play on the old map again.

that's how I do it.

thxns dude. If thought that I was clear enough with my install instructions, but probably not.

:1046276160_schildbacktotopic: , because we shouldn't talking about this here...

Mike, is it realistic for the USFS engine to carry jaws? I doubt they would need them fighting forest fires.

Remember, the brave Men and Women who wear the khaki and green of the US Forest Service do much much more then just fight forest fires. Thanks to urban encroachment on what were traditionally wildlands, many stations have taken on the role of a much more municipal fire department. In the Angeles National Forest (ANF), many of the firefighters have gone above and beyond the traditional Forest Firefighter role due to the needs of their area. With the Angeles Crest Highway, numerous roads and off road trails, as well as homes in the wildland urban interface, you'll find many of them being State Firefighter I certified and having vehicle extrication tools, skills, training, as well as confined space rescue, and structure firefighting equipment and training. It all just depends on the area the station covers and the staffing.

Mike

Guest jacob1029

Dear Mike,

A saw one the internet once about something called a "Rehab Air Tender" which is used In L.A . I have tried to do some research on it becuase I haven´t the faintest idea what it is to be honest but I have not found anything. Could you explain to me what it is?

Regards,

Jacob

its a truck that carries extra oxygen tanks so if they run out of air during a house fire etc. they can get a new tank. it also has searchlights.

VNY-LAFD-RAT59-004.jpg

VNY-LAFD-RAT59-011.jpg

(both pics from Mikesphotos.us; happened to stumble across his site while randomly clicking on a relevant sounding Google result. i said, hey this is Mikesphotos cause i didnt get a good look at the url)

Dear Mike,

A saw one the internet once about something called a "Rehab Air Tender" which is used In L.A . I have tried to do some research on it becuase I haven´t the faintest idea what it is to be honest but I have not found anything. Could you explain to me what it is?

Regards,

Jacob

As said, it is a dual function unit that fits into the Breathing Support and Illumination Support roles. Other departments usually refer to them as Air/Light units as well. One special thing about these units is that they take that concept one step beyond what you normally find. With their focus being on the Rehab part of the incident, they are a fully stocked with misting fans, shade pop up tents, chairs, drinks, and the rear door is even a portable toilet. The units are cross staffed by the FF/EMT's on the RA at the station, and by that I mean for RAT-81 to go in service, the personnel from Rescue Ambulance 881 put the RA out of service and staff up the RAT.

It is mostly used on very large incidents due to having to take the RA out of service and more often then not, the red cross canteen unit or the Bureau of Support Services volunteers will be dispatched long before the RAT. Remember, over 90% of all fires are out within 30 mins. It's safer and saner to just cycle in extra crews then bother with refilling tanks on an incident and sending them back in. Also with the USAR units having a light tower and being sent automatically to most "Greater Alarm/Major Emergency" for RIC (Rapid Intervention Company) the RATs are pretty dormant most of the year.

Guest USAMontyPython

Hey Mike I have a question for you this isn't about the mod so if you feel you need to remove it please do. But I was wondering does LAFD have a strategic command vehicle for major incidents ie Terrorist Attack or Wildfires where they have a ton of mutual aid & federal aid coming in where they can actually coordinate out in the area of operations. I know that Wolf Coach Co. builds specialized rigs and sells them to FEMA and other federal and state entities I was just curious if LA itself has one of these. It's really not a practical vehicle to have in any city department. Here in Massachusetts we have a state police rig that responds to things like the 4th of July in Boston where they have to cooridinate MA State Police, Boston Police, Boston Fire, Boston EMS, & National Guard. It's a very impressive setup and defiantly cuts down on response times rather than having dispatches going over the air 50 miles just to be transmitted back. I wish I had a picture of the damn thing but I guess it's one of those Kennedy things where a ton of money was used to buy it but we can never find it.

Hey Mike I have a question for you this isn't about the mod so if you feel you need to remove it please do. But I was wondering does LAFD have a strategic command vehicle for major incidents ie Terrorist Attack or Wildfires where they have a ton of mutual aid & federal aid coming in where they can actually coordinate out in the area of operations. I know that Wolf Coach Co. builds specialized rigs and sells them to FEMA and other federal and state entities I was just curious if LA itself has one of these. It's really not a practical vehicle to have in any city department. Here in Massachusetts we have a state police rig that responds to things like the 4th of July in Boston where they have to cooridinate MA State Police, Boston Police, Boston Fire, Boston EMS, & National Guard. It's a very impressive setup and defiantly cuts down on response times rather than having dispatches going over the air 50 miles just to be transmitted back. I wish I had a picture of the damn thing but I guess it's one of those Kennedy things where a ton of money was used to buy it but we can never find it.

The Los Angeles City Fire Department (LAFD) has 3 large mobile Command vehicles as well as numerous smaller vehicles for interoperability communications and command. One thing to remember is that the city of Los Angeles alone has a population of over 3,834,340 (2007 US Census data) and has jurisdiction over 471 square miles. Responding to over 700k calls for service each year and with 106 fire station, the LAFD is the size of more then a few state departments. Even with that size, they are not the county Coordinator, with that role falling on the shoulders of the Los Angeles County FD and Sheriff's Dept.

Some examples of LAFD's Command vehicles:

Command 2:

LAFD-CMD2-001.jpg

Auxillary Communications Unit

LAFD-ACS-025.jpg

They also have their own LARCOPP (Los Angeles Regional Common Operational Picture Program ) vehicle, and Communication Interoperability unit similar to the Aux unit. Plus every BC vehicle is it's own mobile command post in its own right.

Mike

In the Uk we have this type of fire truck,it has Pods loaded on it,which canbe changed to suit the incident,im not sure,but most counties have one,and they kept in one of the Major fire stations within the county

dsc10840ad1.jpg

In the Uk we have this type of fire truck,it has Pods loaded on it,which canbe changed to suit the incident,im not sure,but most counties have one,and they kept in one of the Major fire stations within the county
Last I checked all counties have a couple of Prime Movers, they're provided by the government under the New Dimension plan alongside the Major Incident Units, they come with pods for USAR (1, 2, 3 & 4 with the Bobcat) and high-volume pumping units.

One the subject, what would be the LA equivalent to our Scientific Support Units and Incident Response Units?

I must be missing something. Was this posted in the wrong thread? What is the relevancy of this post to any of the current discussions? You did not use the quote function so I'm at a loss as to why you posted this information here.

Last I checked all counties have a couple of Prime Movers, they're provided by the government under the New Dimension plan alongside the Major Incident Units, they come with pods for USAR (1, 2, 3 & 4 with the Bobcat) and high-volume pumping units.

One the subject, what would be the LA equivalent to our Scientific Support Units and Incident Response Units?

LAFD maintains a capable HAZMAT response that has been greatly improved since 9/11 and the anthrax postal attacks. With fully staffed HAZMAT squads throughout the city for immediate first in response like the one you are familiar with in the mod, they also have a few HAZMAT tenders which are just large cargo trucks with equipment inside for extended responses. In addition to that, for any large incident, LACoFD HAZMAT units would also respond as well as LA County Health-HAZMAT division, which responds to all HAZMAT responses in the city and county, for long term care, cleanup and mitigation after the initial emergency response is handled.

Mike

Since I know Mike is really busy, I figured i'd answer your question since I've seen it refered to on other forums.

This was the reason given by a Firefighter on another forum.

"What makes wood so good is, believe it or not, they withstand flame impingement much better than aluminum. Wood will char but it takes some time for it to burn to the point of total failure. Aluminum on the other hand will soften and it may not be noticible until it fails. Aluminum will fail long before wood burns through. Many times a wood ladder that has been exposed to flame impingement can be simply sanded down and the wood visibly inspected and the ladder might be able to back in service. An aluminum ladder would need to be taken out of service and may have to be replaced even if there does not appear to be any damage. Wood doesn't readily conduct electricity like aluminum. And in all reality, a well maintained wood ladder just looks so much better than aluminum."

The maitenance is very heavy duty on the ladders, which is their primary drawback from my understanding.

There's also an article out there I've seen about the ladder crafter....I'll try to find it again

Does LA have anything similar to the "7 person rule" for medical dispatches?

For LAFD, No, in fact most medical dispatches are based on a complex EMD matrix that assigns it a category level and an algorithm based on available resources and time-on-scene to decide. To simplify it, the worst case scenarios will get the nearest fire company (Light force or Engine, with engine taking priority) and an ALS Rescue Ambulance. That is 4+2 or 6+2 on scene. Other calls might just get an 800 rescue ambulance and no additional resources, say for an extremity injury. The goal of the algorithms is to get BLS or Paramedic Assessment level care on scene as fast as possible, usually in 3 minutes or less from time of dispatch, with Paramedic care being there in 5 or less.

LACoFD will either send an Engine, Light force, or Truck with a squad and ambulance which will give you 7 to 9 personnel on scene depending on the response. For stations with Patrols, depending on the way that station operates, they'll usually respond to all medical aids along with the Engine, Squad and ambulance as well.

For LAFD, No, in fact most medical dispatches are based on a complex EMD matrix that assigns it a category level and an algorithm based on available resources and time-on-scene to decide. To simplify it, the worst case scenarios will get the nearest fire company (Light force or Engine, with engine taking priority) and an ALS Rescue Ambulance. That is 4+2 or 6+2 on scene. Other calls might just get an 800 rescue ambulance and no additional resources, say for an extremity injury. The goal of the algorithms is to get BLS or Paramedic Assessment level care on scene as fast as possible, usually in 3 minutes or less from time of dispatch, with Paramedic care being there in 5 or less.
Are the algorithms available? Or could you apply the game incidents to them for us please?

Don't all of them just say; paramedic resource and ambulance for transport.

What more do you want? There is no EMD in the game to tell you if you have a patient that is minor, moderate, or severe, even with the call type. Falls, heart attacks and food poisonings can all be either low on the life bar or high depending on your difficulty setting. It is YOUR job to decide what resources to send and how to send based on the call type and availability of units. That could be the LACoFD Paramedic squad and an 800, it could be an ALS engine and an 800, it could be just an a Paramedic RA and no one else, it could be an Air Ambulance or any other type of combination the game allows. There is no way possible to apply a 9 tree decision process algorithm to a game that has 1 step - guy lying on ground needs to be picked up and seen by an ALS unit... soo.. send an ALS unit. If you are a role player who wants utmost authenticity, you'd send the nearest Fire Company along with the ALS unit, but even that wouldn't be always authentic because depending on the algorithm you could get the following responses for the same ALS required medical aid patient in different areas at different times of the day:

Paramedic Assessment Engine and RA

Paramedic Assessment Light Force and RA

Paramedic Assessment Engine and 800

Paramedic Assessment Light Force and 800

RA and 800

2 RAs

BLS Engine and RA

BLS Light Force and RA

Just one RA and no one else

LACoFD Squad and 800

LACoFD Squad and RA

LAcoFD Squad, Patrol, and Engine, and 800

LAcoFD Squad, ALS Engine and 800

LAcoFD Squad, ALS Engine and RA

Light Force, Engine, RA, and Air Ambulance

and so on and so forth through a multitude of lists.

And with the game never requiring you to interview family members, gather meds, carry down flights of stairs, lift 600lbs patients who are unconscious in a bath tub, there is no reason to send a light force along with the RA unless all of your ALS units are committed and you need to send the nearest fire company to at least see if the patient can be stabilized for transport.

That is what makes the algorithm so complex and in the game you have to make the decision yourself. Send the correct resource to the correct call. If an RA only will do, just like in real life an RA is all you will and should get. If ALS is extended ETA, then you get whoever is closest.

That is why the cad tip says: Nearest Paramedic Resource and RA for transport.

It's up to you to decide who what when and where because there are just way to many possibilities. Here is an old quote from Brian Humphrey, PSO for LAFD on the Dispatch algorithms:

Q - What is the determinant for 1st responder (i.e. engine/light

force/PM engine)?

A - The LAFD Dispatch algorithm is a full page of text that drills down

to a nine box decision tree. That sounds easy enough, but it takes me at

least 4 hours to explain the whole concept in a classroom setting. Yep,

just that one page of text to people who already have tremendous insight

into our Department <sigh>. Thankfully, the computer is able to easily

transition the input of variables through the logic process.

To dumb that down even farther so people in Bulgaria, Africa, or 12 year old boys in England who play this game can understand it, you end up with Nearest ALS and ambulance for transport.

Mike