CanadianFrog

Project NYstalgia - A retro themed New York City modification.

Folks, I’ve got a project here I’m very excited to share with you all.

Just about two years in the making, in quiet group chats and google drives, I am very happy to officially announce Project NYstalgia, a mod themed around New York City circa 1993.

If you’ve followed me around on Discord since 2021, you might recognize this as “that private edit I was messing around with.” Well, since then it’s been torn down and rebuilt more times than I’ve bothered to keep count of. A few times, I even got damn close to shelving the whole project.

But, I get by with a little help from my friends, who have pestered me and made sure that this mod stays in my head. There are many people to be mentioned, but I need to give a particular thanks to @mercurygrandmarquis1 and @Jules617 have provided invaluable research assistance, @Newfoundking has taken some of the load off my shoulders with lighting, and @itchboy has provided a majority of the models.

This project is to blame for why Edgewater and Hill Street Blues have gone belly up recently. My focus will bounce back to those, eventually, but I’d like to see this through all the way.

When will it be released? When it’s done.

When will it be done? When I say so. 

Anyway, enough of me yapping. You all want screenshots.

NYPD Caprices and Econoline van.
Vehicle models by Itchboy, textures by mercurygrandmarquis1. Fedsig lightbars by EmC-unit and rihis.

Spoiler

caprice.png.27ec9a3f27d96572f8831123b4a7d511.pngcaprice93.png.ab8fd661d08233bbcb77aaa2f4d70740.pngeseries.png.fe63baed2c44eecebc7d69a81b30401e.png

NYC EMS Caprice and Bronco 
Don't worry, we've got regular ambulances on the way
Vehicle models by itchboy, textures by mercurygrandmarquis1. MX7000 Lightbar by hoppah LA mod team.

Spoiler

caprice.png.1d2ee607b9109edc6f48c591735d1b4e.pngexplorer.png.892b6a5c669bfe54c0271d3926b7c6ad.png

New York City Housing & Transit Police Gran Fury and Caprices.

Vehicle models by itchboy, textures by mercurygrandmarquis1. Fedsig streethawk lightbar by EmC-unit and rihis.

Spoiler

granfury.png.1832b0503abb3a7f8a453d3bb1cfef86.pngcaprice2.png.9f164ee72655ab537efa3017299e008d.pngcaprice.png.e8bbcdf0f9ba8304557fd6d6e01b6ff1.png

Traffic enforcement Caprice and Taurus 

Vehicle models by Itchboy, textures by mercurygrandmarquis1. Fedsig lightbars by EmC-unit and rihis.

Spoiler

caprice.png.3c6aa7f61a2146dcc7da00085065a075.png

ford.png.bdf332e3e30687fa1b154ebaa923fb01.png

• Like 6

Hey everyone. I want to take the time to introduce myself. Ive been a member on EMP since 2007, Longer than most of you have been alive. But I wouldn't say I'm an active poster until now. I am the primary researcher for the NYPD and EMS side of this mod as well as doing some of the skins for the vehicles. Aside from being a member of the mod team here I have been a first responder in NYC for many years. I am also in the process of restoring several police cars and I collect and restore vintage emergency lights and sirens some of my collection may make it into the mod.

If anyone has any questions about NYC police or EMS vehicles from the 70s to now feel free to ask in this thread!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AgentSmith6 said:

At the risk of turning this into a depository of archive photos like the LA Nostalgia mod, is there any chance I could see a few? For some reason I haven't been able to find more than a quick front view of an old Taurus.

This isnt my mod or my thread, but I wouldnt mind if people posted research here.

Allow me to start off with the ones I found off archive video and google

There are photos of the Chevy Caprice, Plymouth Gran Fury and Plymouth Reliant on Facebook, posted by AJ Illenotna. I don't know how to upload them here without breaking my attachment limits, but you can find them there using his name.

I'm proud of what we've found, especially the Bronco II. Seems that nobody else knows about it.

Spoiler

image.png?ex=65e46b7c&is=65d1f67c&hm=05a

image.png?ex=65e8017d&is=65d58c7d&hm=1a3image.png?ex=65e6f152&is=65d47c52&hm=d0a
image.png?ex=65e88c5a&is=65d6175a&hm=e6e
police-on-guard-against-protesters.png?e
image.png?ex=65e04153&is=65cdcc53&hm=4cc
image.png?ex=65e041b2&is=65cdccb2&hm=25c
image.png?ex=65e04220&is=65cdcd20&hm=4e0
image.png?ex=65e41d68&is=65d1a868&hm=b1a

• Like 1

Much appreciated, AJ Illenota has been a fantastic resource all around. His own vintage MA archives are incredible for those that are interested in that area. It's going to be so cool to see the contrast even in the Aerodynics between NY and LA style 

10 hours ago, AgentSmith6 said:

Much appreciated, AJ Illenota has been a fantastic resource all around. His own vintage MA archives are incredible for those that are interested in that area. It's going to be so cool to see the contrast even in the Aerodynics between NY and LA style 

At the risk of going too off topic, if he's got anything from the western half of the state, please send him my direction

As for folks posting their own photos, go ahead. Crowdsourcing research is a great way to keep this thread active and remind me to work on my dozens of outstanding/unfinished assets.

image.png?ex=65ea8350&is=65d80e50&hm=1f3
image.png?ex=65ea8360&is=65d80e60&hm=414

I'm sorry guys, it had to be done. It's hideous, pitiful but it's history.

I look forward to all the laughs this thing will give you when it's ingame, equipped and ready to drive.

image.png?ex=65ea83e4&is=65d80ee4&hm=262

Now here's something more macho. It turns out there's no less than 6 variations of this Ford ambulance that NYC*EMS used. I'll try to make as many of them as I can. The other team members will be doing livery work on this, unless there's any takers looking to help.

All work in this post is by me.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, itchboy said:

Now here's something more macho. It turns out there's no less than 6 variations of this Ford ambulance that NYC*EMS used. I'll try to make as many of them as I can. The other team members will be doing livery work on this, unless there's any takers looking to help.

So for those at home wondering NYC EMS purchased off the shelf fords in 1989 after the EMS fleet was falling apart at the seams. These 89s were mainly Collins and Wheeled coaches and there were a handful of variations. At the time NYPD Motor Transport Division (the precursor to modern day Fleet Service Division) took on a lot of the EMS overflow because EMS fleet services couldn't keep up with the work. The fleet situation in EMS was so bad that in 1987 a citation bar was issued to anyone working during the ambulance shortage. Below are a handful of 1989 Ford Buses

32.thumb.png.aef4dbfd50357865ff572b4375418bfe.png37.thumb.png.e4840baf5988186c136348128dc10a25.png30.thumb.png.a82bcc569e1e6cae79eb736084b8357e.png

• Like 3

One of the more unique vehicles the NYPD had. Would love to see them in the mod. Just don't know what I would use them for besides, maybe, parking enforcement. 

I have a suggestion, considering the mod is going to take place in the 80's and 90's like LA Nostalgia I was thinking not only that the uniforms and vehicles be changed depending on which decade you play in, but the weapons that are used as well. For example, in the 1980s the NYPD has used Model 10 and 60 revolvers, but for 1993, it would make sense to change to the Beretta or the Glock, and for ESU in the 1980s I would suggest M16's and for the 90s, the MP5. If you would like me to send some 80s and 90s ESU stuff i'll definitely give it a shot.