MikeyPI

Emergency Questions

Not sure about the pentagon but in the Air Force a crash tender is dispatch anytime there a crash with a plane involved. Consider a large commercial plane hit the pentagon I would expect a crash tender to be present.

Not sure about the pentagon but in the Air Force a crash tender is dispatch anytime there a crash with a plane involved.

By anytime do you mean every time? As if there was an AF plane crash 50 miles from the nearest major airportthat would house a crash tender, one would be dispatched anyways? I assume not, I assume your referring to AF plane crashes on base? In which case I would expect so, but I am not really looking into when they are used.

Consider a large commercial plane hit the pentagon I would expect a crash tender to be present.

And there was also a commercial jet down in a field that day,and most notability a commercial jet for WTC 1 and 2, but i didnt see crash tenders there.

What are those 6 sides slots for? I have noticed these on some truck but never realized they were actual compartments. The only thing I could see that might fit is spare air tanks maybe.

You talking about the two doors above the wheel? With the light between them? That looks like the air bottle hold A lt Priceville VFD in AL from show me on there ladder truck. I thought it was gas tank cover at first.

As for the crash tender. I was station at Eglin AFB any time a plane crash any where on the base land which is a every large area they would dispatch a crash tender. Of course they had some assign to main air strip and several of the out lying strips. The base has large amount of land for Bomb testing and other such test.

I believe the pentagon has Helicopter landing padd. It has a foam 161 that looks like a crash tender assign there. http://www.fortmyerf...m/apparatus.php

However I found this article http://arlingtonfire...pt-11-2001.html Seems the foam 161 was damage in the attack. But it those menition crash tenders from an airport begin used to fight the fire.

The field where the plane crash is not located by an airport. At least no airport that handles anything bigger then a small prop plane. One of my co worker live nears that field.

Paranoid is correct the Petagon has it's own fire department...I'm not sure what all equipment they have but I know they have multiple trucks, Also Reagan Airport and Ft.Myer military base are close by. But I believe the truck pictured is one of the other Pentagon trucks.

You talking about the two doors above the wheel? With the light between them? That looks like the air bottle hold A lt Priceville VFD in AL from show me on there ladder truck. I thought it was gas tank cover at first.

As for the crash tender. I was station at Eglin AFB any time a plane crash any where on the base land which is a every large area they would dispatch a crash tender. Of course they had some assign to main air strip and several of the out lying strips. The base has large amount of land for Bomb testing and other such test.

I believe the pentagon has Helicopter landing padd. It has a foam 161 that looks like a crash tender assign there. http://www.fortmyerf...m/apparatus.php

However I found this article http://arlingtonfire...pt-11-2001.html Seems the foam 161 was damage in the attack. But it those menition crash tenders from an airport begin used to fight the fire.

The field where the plane crash is not located by an airport. At least no airport that handles anything bigger then a small prop plane. One of my co worker live nears that field.

The truck was a new rescue rig(a ford F-450 chasis I believe, for Santa Claus Indiana. I stumbeled on it by acident and I had noticed the compartments there before on various rigs but never realized they were an actual compartment.

As for the tender at the pentagon, well if they have there own trucks I can see why, but I wasnt under the impression that these types of trucks were agile enough to actually travel down a city road or highway.

Paranoid is correct the Petagon has it's own fire department...I'm not sure what all equipment they have but I know they have multiple trucks, Also Reagan Airport and Ft.Myer military base are close by. But I believe the truck pictured is one of the other Pentagon trucks.

Thanks for all your info guys.

And on to another question. For quick reference I stole a pic from the NY Mod thread as it was already opened.

http://img9.abload.de/img/ems_bags_fdny2mq7l.png

What exactly is the big thing over the top of the cab that looks like some kind of blower?

In regards to a question i posted awhile ago, I asked if any one knew what a grant car was. I just hear an officer ask another officer if he was working grant tonight. The officer confirmed that(among other things like he was at the station). The officer on patrol said he was about to make a traffic stop because a car was all over the road way.

Does this help any one figure out what a "Grant car" might be? Its possible I am hearing it wrong so if you can think of something similar, it might apply.

In regards to a question i posted awhile ago, I asked if any one knew what a grant car was. I just hear an officer ask another officer if he was working grant tonight. The officer confirmed that(among other things like he was at the station). The officer on patrol said he was about to make a traffic stop because a car was all over the road way.

Does this help any one figure out what a "Grant car" might be? Its possible I am hearing it wrong so if you can think of something similar, it might apply.

Could be either a patrol area, I.e. a pd unit patrolling the Alpha sector would be the Alpha car, or it could be a acronym for some type of special service the patrol division provides like a DWI unit.

Does anyone know why in NJ, departments in one town will call themselves companies and will number themselves like 1 department when they are each separate departments? Like in Vernon Township, there's Vernon Co.1, McAfee Co.2, Highland Lakes Co.3, and Pochuck Valley Co.4, yet they all operate as separate departments with their own chiefs and everything.

Yeah im thinking something about a special unit.

As for your question, sorry I dont really find it all that odd. Companies here are sort of similar. You have Evansville Fire, but theres about 5 other departments that handle various sections of the county. Knight Township,Perry Township,German Township etc. However, on the radio Evansville fire is 1, like 1 engine 1, 1 quint 9, 1 rescue 3, Knight is 6 Engine 6, 6 Engine 62, Perry is 7 Rescue 7, 7 Rescue 8, etc. I realize its slightly different then what your saying but purely guessing, they probably use a similar type system so its easy to tell companies apart.

Really? Wonder why FDNY is the only place, that I have seen, utilize these. Seems like this would be more use in LA and desert type cities/states then some where like NY where I dont think it usually gets that hot compared to say LA.

NY can indeed get hot, and a lot of heat comes in but less may come out at the downtown Manhattan due to the buildings and majority of traffic. However your question is good as I can follow your thinking that there is hotter at the western US than eastern. Can't really answer your question.. :/

I was just looking at private firefighting and from what I've learned is that they are (mainly) for industry. Is there anywhere where a private firefighting company plays a larger role, like looking after a village or town - or even working with a public fire department in a city?

I was just looking at private firefighting and from what I've learned is that they are (mainly) for industry. Is there anywhere where a private firefighting company plays a larger role, like looking after a village or town - or even working with a public fire department in a city?

Well, Rural Metro (A private ambulance service) has a partnership with San Diego Fire Rescue.

I'm not totally sure but I believe Rural Metro Fire Department also covers a few airports, but I'm not sure about any private firefighting on a larger scale.

Could be either a patrol area, I.e. a pd unit patrolling the Alpha sector would be the Alpha car, or it could be a acronym for some type of special service the patrol division provides like a DWI unit.

Does anyone know why in NJ, departments in one town will call themselves companies and will number themselves like 1 department when they are each separate departments? Like in Vernon Township, there's Vernon Co.1, McAfee Co.2, Highland Lakes Co.3, and Pochuck Valley Co.4, yet they all operate as separate departments with their own chiefs and everything.

Depends by place but often times it relates back to historic numbering systems. It may also depend on how they are financed or controlled by the local government. It may also have to due with how the county set up numbering. Also some smaller volunteer departments while independent for tax and funding purposes(or vice versa) are actually unified departments. My main assumption would be it has to do with historic numbering and the local government ties.

There are several places in Arizona where communities contract with Rural Metro Fire. Also, in Columbus Rural Metro provides fire coverage for the main airport. Overall there is really only a small number of communities that contract with private services. As jab suggested several private companies are very active in wildfire activities. Also special contractors like oil field fire services are also in existence. Industrial Fire Brigades (IFBs) are also fairly limited in a lot of the US. Often they aren't full services, just a collection of 5-25 men, often local volunteer firefighters, with no trucks and only pre-installed hose lines. The big exceptions are oil refineries and chemical companies, also some power plants and larger manufactures have a truck or two,

What are those 6 sides slots for? I have noticed these on some truck but never realized they were actual compartments. The only thing I could see that might fit is spare air tanks maybe.

They do fit airtanks hold on a sec and I'll find something explaining entierly their use.

AHA! Looking after my brother and sister when I was younger actually taught me something, even though I know it know.

Explination of those compartments is at 3:39.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1268/lapd3019936730.jpg

Now this is an old pic of LAPD Bomb Squad(obviously) but I have noticed that until the past few years, this utility body has been very popular with bomb squads. Any particular reason?

I would imagine it is because they are durable and long lasting- I know for our EMS squad we have a utility body that a lot of departments use just because it is affordable and lasts a good amount of time

About how much a does SCBA weigh? Full and empty.

and

How much does full turnout gear and SCBA weigh? (Jacket, Pants, boots, Helmet, SCBA, and any other standard equipment included)

I'm starting to consider getting into fire service, and I just want to know what to expect.

it depends on what type of air bottle you are using and amount of capacity. They are on average about 35 pounds..Full gear and equipment is about 100 pounds- but it does not feel that much when you are working as you are working hard. I'd suggest going for it and becoming a firefighter, try to find a local volunteer department to test it out. It's a great service and potential career! ;)

I searched this topic and could not find an answer so here is my question, apologies if its being repeated:

Why do American Ladder Trucks carry Jaws Of Life for Road Traffic Collisions? Is it to multi-role the unit as ladders are needed less or is there another purpose? As far as I know, in Britain, only Rescue Pumps and other Rescue Units carry Jaws Of Life/Hydraulic Spreaders etc. Ladders are pretty much used for their single purpose, be it Quint, Snorkle or Rescue Ladder.

Many thanks,

The OC-D

I searched this topic and could not find an answer so here is my question, apologies if its being repeated:

Why do American Ladder Trucks carry Jaws Of Life for Road Traffic Collisions? Is it to multi-role the unit as ladders are needed less or is there another purpose? As far as I know, in Britain, only Rescue Pumps and other Rescue Units carry Jaws Of Life/Hydraulic Spreaders etc. Ladders are pretty much used for their single purpose, be it Quint, Snorkle or Rescue Ladder.

Many thanks,

The OC-D

Well first, lets not generalize this as a US thing. This is not the case in all of the US. If you dont mind let me explain roughly how it is done here in my city and county. In terms of Evansville Fire Department which handles the city, I believe there are some ladder trucks, well quints in our case, that carry extrication tools. Quint 9 has jaws and is assigned to the area I live in. There the only ladder truck I know of for sure in the city with extrication tools. Now just a few days ago there was a bad wreck in front of the main entrance to my apartment complex and it is located on a road with a 45 mph speed limit. So I dont know the specifics but I am guessing the PT Cruiser was more or less t-boned(kinf of like this -\ rather then a perfect t-bone like -| you normally see) so you can imagine the damage done to the drivers door. So 9s comes in but they have a combi-tool rather then a dedicated set of cutters or spreaders. Many FFs will claim these tools are a jack of all trades, but a master of none. In other words in most cases they find combo tools arent as effective as compared to a set of cutters and a set of spreaders. Others have said it is a matter of knowing how to operate them. Anyways, we have two rescue trucks in the city. They carry a dedicated set of spreaders and cutters I believe. In this case 9s I assume didnt think they could handle the extrication so Rescue 3 had to be called in to do it, 10 minuets latter(hey there coming from clear across town and Rescue 1 would be to). R3 shows up and do extrication.

A few months ago there was a bad accident on the may as well be high way around the corner from here. Q9 did extrication but again had to call R3 for assistance with extrication.

Also a few months ago a guy wrapped his car around a tree at a high rate of speed. The driver ended up dieing if memory serves me right but this time Rescue 1 had to be called.

My point is while atleast one of our ladders do carry extrication it is still mainly handled by a rescue, however county is a different beast. There are 5 different volly companies that handle the county. Knight Township which is about 1 mile from where I live and makes runs in this area all the time because of district boundaries, carries extrication tools on there primary engine at each station. McCutchanville FD covers the city of McCutchanville and other area outside city limits. I assume there rescue trucks carry jaws in there case. German Township has a Rescue Truck at both stations. In there case the Rescue trucks do carry the extrication tools. Perry Township has a Rescue Truck in one station that carries there extrication tools. The other Perry station houses a 2-man rescue pumper with a mac cab chassis.

Scott Township I wanted to break off from the rest because it is a different beast in its self. 4 Medic 1 serves as first due for medical runs. It is a medium duty Freightliner used for patient transport. Now it also carrys some extrication tools. However the heavier tools are carried on 4 Engine 1. Now 4 Engine 2 at Station 2 is considered a Rescue Pumper so they may carry extrication tools on it, not sure. However I have touched on Station 3. Station 3 has a full set of extrication tools on 4 Engine 3 so I assume there are no extrication tools on 4 Rescue 3.

I hope I didnt bore you here :P, but just pointing out that you cant sum things up based on a country, let alone a county.