MikeyPI

Emergency Questions

Why do paramedics check people's pupils with a flashlight? What does it do? How are the pupils supposed to react if the person is fine? If their pupil doesn't react normally, why is that? How can you treat them? What causes the pupil not to react normally?

Paramedics check pupils with a flashlight to check that your pupils are properly responding to light.  Normal reactivity is that your pupils will dilate, becoming smaller when the light is shined in your eyes. A "fixed" pupil, or one that does not react to light, is a VERY bad sign and can indicate either a bad head injury or an overdose. The treatment differs for each case.

In a bad head injury, the paramedic will take C-spine precautions, usually consisting of immobilizing the patient via a cervical collar and a spineboard.  In some areas, the patient may be immobilized with just a C-collar, or by other means, depending on local protocols.  En route to the hospital, the paramedic will start an IV line.

In an overdose, the paramedic will administer Narcan (naloxone) while on-scene.  The patient will then be transferred to the ambulance and transferred emergent to an ER facility.  While en route, the paramedic will get IV access if he hasn't already, as well as anything else dictated by local protocol.

Hope that helped, Graal Bot.

1. What happens if an earthquake hits a prison and inmates start running away through broken fences?

2.What happens if a commercial fire alarm goes off in a bank vault? Are firefighter allowed to go in and inspect or can he guards do it

3. If your a paramedic and want to go and grab a coffee that will take less than 2 minuites while on-duty, do you still have to tell dispatch your 10-6/7?

4.If you saw an accident, and people in a car trapped with the doors jammed should you break the window open and try to open the door from the inside?

5. If someone in a motercycle collision is unconcious but breathing what should you do? Not a recover position right because the person might have fractured bones.

3. If your a paramedic and want to go and grab a coffee that will take less than 2 minuites while on-duty, do you still have to tell dispatch your 10-6/7?

4.If you saw an accident, and people in a car trapped with the doors jammed should you break the window open and try to open the door from the inside?

5. If someone in a motercycle collision is unconcious but breathing what should you do? Not a recover position right because the person might have fractured bones.

3. You have to call it in.

4. Call FD or if it is life threating you can smash a window

5. Leave the casulty where they are so they do not hurt their back anymore.

Sorry I can't answer any other questions I only know about ambulance stuff.

5. Leave the casulty where they are so they do not hurt their back anymore.

Sorry I can't answer any other questions I only know about ambulance stuff.

Recovery position straight away, you're not going to know if their airway is going to be compromised in the next few minutes and without that they die. If you aggravate fractures or even a C-Spine contravention in saving their life then that's a small price.

This answer also ignores the difficulty that is removing a motorcycle helmet from a casualty...

The OC-D

Recovery position straight away, you're not going to know if their airway is going to be compromised in the next few minutes and without that they die. If you aggravate fractures or even a C-Spine contravention in saving their life then that's a small price.

This answer also ignores the difficulty that is removing a motorcycle helmet from a casualty...

The OC-D

Lean on side holding head?

3.  Depends on your location and service.  At my service, all we have to tell Dispatch is that we're 10-88 in our area, which means we're out and about in our area.

4.  Depends on if you're John Q. Citizen or an emergency worker.  As John Q. Citizen, you're not to touch it.  Call 911 immediately.  As a fire service worker, get a Halligan and pop the door.  If you can't pop it with a Halligan, get your Hurst tool or equivalent.

5.  Maintain C-spine (hold their head and keep them moving their neck or spine) and wait for paramedics. Call 911.  If he starts to choke, tell the dispatcher.  They will give you further instruction.

In case they hit their head. In other words why do firefighter's wear helmets

Firefighter wear helmets because roofs fall on them...In a car accident I dunno why.

Paramedics don't do jack that require a helmet...I can only imagine them needing a helmet if they have to pull someone out a car thats hit a powerpole and the transformer is hanging loose that might fall on them.

Over here in Britain, paramedics sometimes need to enter a crashed vehicle to stabilise a suspect whilst firefighters remove the roof. Due to the close proximity to powerful cutting equipment, metal, broken glass, as well as any sharp or protruding parts that might occur in a car wreck, I see it as common sense to stick a helmet on...

Oh that makes sense..I've only seen firefighter stabalize and paramedics just help from outside the car..Where I live

Are you allowed to eat while being on dispatch duty?

Swallowing food to take a call might be the split second you need

In the larger cities their is a translator on staff, smaller dispatches have a number they can call for translation. (I believe, not sure on this one)

There is a service called language line. It's a 1-800 number we call with the 911 caller on the line, and they are able to provide us with a translator for just about any language under the sun. Even if we don't know what language we need, they have persons who can determine it by listening. However, if you have a large foreign language community, you normally have at least one person around that can fumble their way through a call. I've been on calls with people speaking various languages and often there is enough understanding to determine roughly what they need.

It's part of the reason that I've made a point to learn fire, police, and ambulance in a lot of languages...

As for eating on duty, yes you are allowed to, and often have to. I work 12 hours at my desk each shift. When there aren't calls i can run to the bathroom, cook food, and walk around a little bit. The second the phone starts ringing I stop and assist the other dispatchers.You learn to eat foods that take only a few bites to eat, and can be put down easily. You also have to get used to letting food get cold, or spitting it out to take a call. It stinks, but it's part of the job.

(police)

What if there's a guy who constantly flags your car down only to ask for a ride. I know police isn't a taxi service...but your job is to "help" people and be a public servant and you can't just leave a guy there...

Is robbery in progress a code 3 because if you use sirens, the criminal will run. If you don't, you might catch them. If there's someone being robbed maybe you have to use sirens to scare the suspect away

offtopic; I just watched how it's made:whelen lights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlKQjs6JCcY and it was so in depth!