MikeyPI

Emergency Questions

I searched this topic and could not find an answer so here is my question, apologies if its being repeated:

Why do American Ladder Trucks carry Jaws Of Life for Road Traffic Collisions? Is it to multi-role the unit as ladders are needed less or is there another purpose? As far as I know, in Britain, only Rescue Pumps and other Rescue Units carry Jaws Of Life/Hydraulic Spreaders etc. Ladders are pretty much used for their single purpose, be it Quint, Snorkle or Rescue Ladder.

Many thanks,

The OC-D

Xplorer explained it very well, but just to summarize, a lot of major cities house only one engine and one ladder ( quint, tower, whatever you want to call it) and only 1-5 rescues per city. It may take longer and would pull a rescue out of service to handle a little accident with no injuries and just having to pop the door. With ladders carrying the extrication tool they an arrive on scene quicker and most often the engine will take care of the ems part of it, and like xplorer said, if needed a rescue can be called for more equpiment.

Pleas note, it's not all fire departments! Equpment on each unit depends on the department. I know of departments here that have special vehicles for certain things like that. Sure jsut 15 minutes from the last SJRFD station here, there's another station for a different department that doesn't carry anything but ladder supplies on the ladder. Nothing else, not even the jaws. Stuff they'll need for the ladder's sole purpose.

Xplorer explained it very well, but just to summarize, a lot of major cities house only one engine and one ladder ( quint, tower, whatever you want to call it) and only 1-5 rescues per city. It may take longer and would pull a rescue out of service to handle a little accident with no injuries and just having to pop the door. With ladders carrying the extrication tool they an arrive on scene quicker and most often the engine will take care of the ems part of it, and like xplorer said, if needed a rescue can be called for more equpiment.

Sometimes we follow this guide to. A few months ago there was a wreck nearby(stupid tress blocking my view). In thisw case Rescue 3, Quint 9, Engine 2 and Engine 4 were called because there were about 5-6 people trapped in two vehicles. In this case AMR was having a hard time getting to the scene because traffic was backing up since the detours just werent meant to handle that volume of traffic. I heard them over the scanner say that fire already had the patient on a backboard, bandaged and ready for transport.

OK, thanks guys. Expecially to Xplorer for his essay on the subject. I guessed it depended of departments but I though I'd ask generally in case I was wrong.

Many thanks,

The OC-D

lol no problem, sorry if I got carried away just thought it was the best way to describe it. Keep in mind were a mdeium size cit, I suppose, but alot of people myself included grew up here when it was more of a small town environment and some times forget how much the city has expanded over the past 5 years.

What is the difference between a Rettungsassistent and a Rettungssanitäter?

A Rettungsassistent is a rescue assistant, and a Rettungssanitäter is a rescue paramedic. Judging by the names I'd say a Rettungssanitäter receives less training or has a different base of operations then a Rettungsassistent. Again just a guess, and I'd also say that the Rettungsassistent responds with the Artzuen, or doctor. Still I'm shooting in the dark.

I found out, you were right. A Rettungshilfer is EMT-B trained, and doesn't normaly work on rescue ambulances (RTW), just the transport ambulances (KTW). A Rettungssaniteter is EMT-I trained, and can work as crew on the RTW, or as crew chief on the KTW. A Rettungsassistent is EMT-P (Paramedic) trained, and works on the RTW as crew or crew chief, or as driver of the NEF, the doctors car.

For further reading, go here.

How is it possible for some to refuse extradition? Guy murdered a 70+ year old lady, stole her vehicle, and got picked up in Illinois about an hour or so from here, and is refusing extradition to face murder charges here. He already was wanted on several warrants where he was picked up in Illinois, one for GTA, so how the hell does he get to refuse?

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1268/lapd3019936730.jpg

Now this is an old pic of LAPD Bomb Squad(obviously) but I have noticed that until the past few years, this utility body has been very popular with bomb squads. Any particular reason?

You can hang stuff on the sides and mount a desk in it for control.

How is it possible for some to refuse extradition? Guy murdered a 70+ year old lady, stole her vehicle, and got picked up in Illinois about an hour or so from here, and is refusing extradition to face murder charges here. He already was wanted on several warrants where he was picked up in Illinois, one for GTA, so how the hell does he get to refuse?

Probably just his lawyer claiming that they don't have enough proof top extradite him for the murder.

Is there any technical difference between the meanings of "First Aid Squad" and "Emergency Medical Service?" Just recently, a volunteer town near started re-lettering their ambulances from First Aid Squad to EMS. Just wondering if maybe there is a small difference between the meanings of the two phrases that could have made them change it.

First Aid squad is essentially a vehicle with only firt aid equipment. A giant first aid box so to speak. Some even have the falshy flashies to look super official ;)

EMS means Emergency Medical Services as you all know. First aid is still a medical service, therefore at an event, if someone falls and splits their head open, the first aid service, or medical service could be considered an emergency one.

Now with First aid squads, they are mostly just stationed at events to provide first aide, whereas with EMS vehicles, they will usually transport as well. Obviously I don't know for sure, but this company may have started doing transport as well, so this could be why. EMS is the term used to describe everything from Basic levels all the way up, and maybe they have EMTs volunteering now, so a first aid squad wasn't correct. Maybe they just weren't being taken seriously as a first aid squad, so they decided to use EMS, which looks more official, after all, if there were two ambulances, people dressed identically, and both looked identical to you, except one was first aid, and one was EMS, which would you rather go to?

Now the only way to know for sure is to give them a call, and ask, it could be any number of reasons.

Hope this helps :)

My guess is that the Fire Dept initially used the First Aid Squad as a fast response vehicle. My guess is Fire was originally dispatched to provide First Responder level care which is maybe a step up above basic first aid. They were pretty much there to get vitals,bandage patients, immobilize the patient if need be, and basic things like this. Not to mention lift assistance. They may have chosen an "ambulance" for the fact they are specifically designed with medical response in mind. By using an "ambulance" for First Aid, it frees up space on the engines for more fire fighting based equipment and it minimizes the wear and tear on the trucks. From the sounds of it, the city may have decided to stop using a private ambulance service, see AMR, and have EMS done in house. They may have found it would be cheaper and more efficient to do this then pay, for example, AMR to provide EMS for the city.

I imagine alot of this you already knew anyways but just stating it just in case, and for others who might not. ;)

I have a question about the way LAFD fights fires because i have been hearing lots of different things ever since the death of a fellow Fire Fighter due to roof collapse last week.

One is that they are to aggressive in their tactics and another is that they fight from the inside out. Is that dangerous to work for LA City Fire when LA County Fire covers more area, people, and has more personal and they rarely have Fire Fighters injured/killed in the line of duty.

One is that they are to aggressive in their tactics and another is that they fight from the inside out.

This is just an assumption but I can only imagine that this really doesnt come down to a department call so much as it does the conditions. Usually the structure is the reason for fighting from the inside out. There were 2 huge fires here last year, and both were in very old, some what historic buildings. In both cases the FFs had to take a defensive stands. When it came to the fire at Woody's Night club, the roof was coming down, so obviously this meant they had to pull out and do a defensive tactic. In the case of the Tin Fish restaurant, the roof was made of Tin, I believe. The metal roof was making this a difficult fire. I believe they sited extreme heat as a major problem. Perhaps the metal based roof was unable to be ventilated since it would conduct the heat so well.

I Have a question of my own..

So the other night, here a Federal Q whaling. Quint 9 rolls up and stops in the apt complex. I went and sat on the patio by the office where I could see what was going on while being way out of the way. So an ambulance rolls in a few minutes latter. Im thinking oh its just a medic run, otherwise Engine 2 would be here or atleast with in range to hear there siren. A few minutes later I see a van with a light bar pull in but dont see it very good. I thought it was an ambulance. Nope it was Evansville Fire and Arson Investigation. Why would they show up for such a small fire? Quint 9 left like as soon as the investigator got here and AMR left a few minuets later with out a patient.

So my question is why send fire and arson?

The quick answer...

Something was suspicious about the fire.

Now, what made it a suspicious fire is the bigger question.

You'd be surprised how stupid people are when they set fires... It's can be very obvious that a fire was intentionally set.

Also, they may have jurisdiction on fire safety inspections, and if systems weren't working they can cite the party responsible for maintaining the system.

For example, we had a fire here a few years ago where post-fire, they found most the fire safety systems and extinguishers weren't up to code, and they slammed the rental company.

Interesting, and trust me, I realize how stupid can be. 2 years ago, i think, on July 3rd, a girl started a fire in her kitchen(grease fire). So what does she do..? Grab the fire extinguisher? Apparently not. Call 911 as soon as it started to get out of control? Apparently not. Waits until the fire burns up the whole kitchen in the apartment then calls 911 who knocked it down with a single preconect. BINGO!

Anyways thanks for the answer. It had me curious since it didnt seem to be basic standard procedure for a fire of that stature(smoke was visible from across the street so it was obviously a fire just not bad).

Hey I have a question for all those FDNY fans. What kind of equipment does the High Rise Rescue Trucks carry with them to a call? I know that high rises are a much different kind of fire to fight since it can be high up and its in a totally different environmental. But i really cant think of anything in particular equipment wise that would make it so different. Maybe "High-rise Packs" and SCBA gear as well but other than that I cant think of much. I apologize if it has been asked before I searched the topic with 2 or 3 brief searches and could not find anything. (I saw fans in the comments but thats just kind of general)

talking about this truck in response here...

Hey I have a question for all those FDNY fans. What kind of equipment does the High Rise Rescue Trucks carry with them to a call? I know that high rises are a much different kind of fire to fight since it can be high up and its in a totally different environmental. But i really cant think of anything in particular equipment wise that would make it so different. Maybe "High-rise Packs" and SCBA gear as well but other than that I cant think of much. I apologize if it has been asked before I searched the topic with 2 or 3 brief searches and could not find anything. (I saw fans in the comments but thats just kind of general)

talking about this truck in response here...

Probably High pressure pumps (if they are real) that are portable, and lightweight ladders with extra misc. tools.

Edited by JimmyKid

From what I've found, the high rise units carry extra fans, lighting, generators, extra SCBA bottles, and other miscellaneous tools (ropes,etc).

There are also special nozzles, but as far as I know they are only carried by designated engines. i would imagine the trucks also have extra hose packs too. Generally, you need between 1-3 lengths of hose per each story of a building.