MikeyPI

Emergency Questions

Thanks for the info mike.

I was wondering if Ford trucks are still utilized as engines(type 1 or 2, not brush or squad trucks)? For example the 1983 Ford C8000/E-One Pumper seems to have been quite popular in these parts back in the day. Are these types of engines still made or have Spartan,FMC,etc taken over building there engines completely from scratch these days? How from scratch are these engines made? Does FMC,Spartan,etc purchase, say a Detroit Diesel engine, transmition, drive train,etc and put them in there selves?

Also i have noticed some engines labeled as a rescue pumper. What makes these so different then a regular pumper engine? Just more storage room and less pump space?

Thanks for the info mike.

I was wondering if Ford trucks are still utilized as engines(type 1 or 2, not brush or squad trucks)? For example the 1983 Ford C8000/E-One Pumper seems to have been quite popular in these parts back in the day. Are these types of engines still made or have Spartan,FMC,etc taken over building there engines completely from scratch these days? How from scratch are these engines made? Does FMC,Spartan,etc purchase, say a Detroit Diesel engine, transmition, drive train,etc and put them in there selves?

Also i have noticed some engines labeled as a rescue pumper. What makes these so different then a regular pumper engine? Just more storage room and less pump space?

the Ford truck chassis are still used, not long ago KME brought a demo to our station that was a Ford Truck i dont remember the model,but they arent as widely used, Internationals,Freightliners the commercial truck chassis are more popular when not buying a Custom Cab engine

Rescue pumpers have more compartment space,Haul Basic Vehicle rescue tools

well i asume they have a mass aid unit but probably not a mass causialty because amr is not used most of the time where a mass causitaly event may occur. for example Dallas they most likey have a mass causialty unit of there own because of the population. so on :)

Mike is this true?

Has anyone heard of the LAPD new police vehicles?? I heard they were being compared to something like the cars that James Bond would drive. But from what I read, they are nice but not close to a bond vehicle!!It's equipped with a device just above the front bumper that will shoot darts embedded with a GPS tracker at fleeing vehicles, reducing the need for high-speed chases. When linked wirelessly to headquarters, another device allows cops to view live feeds of networked surveillance cameras from the driver's seat, once they're within a mile of a crime scene.

Two durable-looking gadgets stashed between the front seats, set back from the docked Dell laptop computer, let officers scan the faces and fingerprints of people they detain -- and check them instantly against databases through a wireless connection. ONe of the coolest things is this....cameras mounted on the roof read license plates as the car is in motion, out on patrol. Plate data is coded with the time viewed and geodata, then stored on servers and checked against databases of stolen or suspect cars.

After testing on the single car, the interconnected gadgets are gradually getting installed in other LAPD vehicles; 20 will get license plate recognition cameras by year's end and two full divisions will get in-car digital video cameras trained on the back seat and front of the car, according to Cmdr. Charlie Beck, head of the department's office of operations. Officers on patrol will be able to send live video from the cameras back to their stations.

???????????????

well the first thing I have never heard of before, but it is a good idea, pretty simple to...

And as for the rest, it's not new, just new to LAPD.. I don't think they can afford all this for every car if they can't even afford new cars... Everyone is on tight budgets, plus with all this stuff the police cars will start to become more and more visible.. If you lookat pictures of this stuff, it's kinda bulky, and out there, and with all that on a car, they are going to get pretty crowded... Where did you hear this?

Whoops, just saw there were a bunch of posts that I missed. Let me go back and answer them

Does any one know if AMR actually has any mass casuality units, or are these generally handled by city,state, and federal agencies?

I honestly don't know the answer to that since AMR is such a non-entity where I am anymore and a lot changed with the federal grants. I know they have a few portable trailers like these for command and control at large incidents:

3530809700_a96bbce94e.jpg

pines-day1-052.JPG

pines-day11-002.JPG

They're just places to be able to sit out of the sun, do paperwork, and listen to the radio for calls.

They should also have at least one or two of the new Cali disaster trucks though. Here are some pics of McCormicks gear:

3621762533_967de637e3.jpg

3621772635_6a1f2941e4.jpg

3621767105_ae62810d59.jpg

3622660590_f8b933de3e.jpg

3622654332_77870caee2.jpg

Mike is this true?

Has anyone heard of the LAPD new police vehicles?? I heard they were being compared to something like the cars that James Bond would drive. But from what I read, they are nice but not close to a bond vehicle!!It's equipped with a device just above the front bumper that will shoot darts embedded with a GPS tracker at fleeing vehicles, reducing the need for high-speed chases. When linked wirelessly to headquarters, another device allows cops to view live feeds of networked surveillance cameras from the driver's seat, once they're within a mile of a crime scene.

At any given time, the LAPD and LASD ASAP teams are testing thousands of futuristic and weird things. Nothing has been put in the field like those you've mentioned, but technology demonstrators have been looked at by both departments

Two durable-looking gadgets stashed between the front seats, set back from the docked Dell laptop computer, let officers scan the faces and fingerprints of people they detain -- and check them instantly against databases through a wireless connection.

Nope, but they are fielding some new PDA's that allow immediate fingerprinting in the field!

ONe of the coolest things is this....cameras mounted on the roof read license plates as the car is in motion, out on patrol. Plate data is coded with the time viewed and geodata, then stored on servers and checked against databases of stolen or suspect cars.

After testing on the single car, the interconnected gadgets are gradually getting installed in other LAPD vehicles; 20 will get license plate recognition cameras by year's end and two full divisions will get in-car digital video cameras trained on the back seat and front of the car, according to Cmdr. Charlie Beck, head of the department's office of operations. Officers on patrol will be able to send live video from the cameras back to their stations.

The ALPRs have been around for quite some time now, i don't know how old the article you're quoting is. You neither sourced it nor provided a link.

One of the new ALPR cars in the field. They're big and bulky compared to the LASD Version, but they've been successful

3370443644_9bacbbc7d2.jpg

3369622857_013c3142e6.jpg

i just google'd lapd vehicles and this was on like the 4th page also found this

acourding to them Lapd already bought one

Ummm, you mind posting exactly WHERE you see that LAPD has bought one? This idea has been floating around since april and can be read about here with japlonik and others referencing it. So far, having spoken to people who are actually involved in the charger, impala and "future replacement" project, the deal for the commodore still hasn't progressed past the simple talk stage and the two test vehicles have not arrived yet, nor are they close to. With GM filing for Chapt 11 in June, two months after all of these articles were written, the general consensus is that NO foreign car/version would be bought when a domestic version could be produced instead. The technology that is in the car though has made it way to Crown Vics and other test beds, so the NSA part of the project is still ongoing. ALPR cars are fielded throughout the city on an ongoing trial that has proven very successful. But as for the Commodore ever replacing the crown vic, I just don't see it happening.

The car in the pictures was just a test that was shown at a show in Sydney, not even here in the US. Frankly, it reminds me of a lot of mods on this board, lots of hype and talk and exhuberance, but not much else.

well i asume they have a mass aid unit but probably not a mass causialty because amr is not used most of the time where a mass causitaly event may occur. for example Dallas they most likey have a mass causialty unit of there own because of the population. so on :)

Most of the time, probably not, but if AMR is the only patient transport company in the city, like here, then I would think that AMR would be the one to to provide a mass causality unit, and being the third largest city in the state, and the largest city in the southern part of Indiana, I am a bit surprised that I dont believe one exists here. Granted there have been very few cases where one would be needed. The most deadliest event in the history of the city was a tornado a few years ago. 20 people were killed with in a one mile radius, and many more injured. Not to mention the injuries and deaths outside of this small mobile home park. It was the deadliest tornado since 1999 and produced stronger winds then Hurricane Katrina. In a case like that I can only imagine such a unit would have come in handy.

Has anyone heard of the LAPD new police vehicles??

Nevermind as mike comes to the rescue as usual, but none the less I thought you were suffering to the Carbon E7.

Anyways thanks again for the info Mike.

Mike is there any rel advantage over the vintage style ambulances and the box style? I notice one of those pics showed one of the newer Ford E-Series cab and chassis with the vintage style compartment on the box.

Most of the time, probably not, but if AMR is the only patient transport company in the city, like here, then I would think that AMR would be the one to to provide a mass causality unit, and being the third largest city in the state, and the largest city in the southern part of Indiana, I am a bit surprised that I dont believe one exists here. Granted there have been very few cases where one would be needed. The most deadliest event in the history of the city was a tornado a few years ago. 20 people were killed with in a one mile radius, and many more injured. Not to mention the injuries and deaths outside of this small mobile home park. It was the deadliest tornado since 1999 and produced stronger winds then Hurricane Katrina. In a case like that I can only imagine such a unit would have come in handy.

Mass Casualty Equipment/Disaster Equipment is based on State/County/City needs and no two areas are the same. if you're curious about yours, you'd have to call them and ask. All Disaster trucks and trailers for private EMS agencies are funded either by the state cache or FD's here.

Mike is there any rel advantage over the vintage style ambulances and the box style? I notice one of those pics showed one of the newer Ford E-Series cab and chassis with the vintage style compartment on the box.

Actually, before I answer this, there is nothing vintage about the van style. In fact the box style is actually much older! Originally ambulances were station wagon types like this and this. Then they went to a more suburban style like this in the early 70s and from there they ended up with something very similar to our current box shaped. The vans didn't really come until later when vans started becoming more popular in the early 80s. The style is known as vintage in the game simply because it is the vintage LAFD style. During the 80s and early 90's that was the type used by the LAFD until the move to their current apparatus.

To see a good overview of classic ambulances, go here

Now, as for your question, frankly, the best answer is contained here. Yes, I do indeed love firechief magazine!

I'm sitting watching a police program called "Road Wars". At the moment, there's a clip from L.A, but the police vehicles at the start were White instead of the usual black/White scheme. Where are these units from? (The program just stated L.A and the clip is from 2004 - If that makes a difference).

i just google'd lapd vehicles and this was on like the 4th page also found this

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalo...dore_LAPD_2.jpg

acourding to them Lapd already bought one

Lol what you're reffering to as a vehical was produced as a toy, it's in a bunch of robot chicken episodes that look like that but I don't know about all that cool sounding equipment.

I'm sitting watching a police program called "Road Wars". At the moment, there's a clip from L.A, but the police vehicles at the start were White instead of the usual black/White scheme. Where are these units from? (The program just stated L.A and the clip is from 2004 - If that makes a difference).

Now, I don't know for sure, I have never seen this show, but seeing as it is in LA, then it may have been a CHP unit you saw. CHP does have several white units.

Hey mike dose each Section of LAPD have there own type of light patterns? cause i was just watching a show and a LAPD car had red an blue lights above the truck and a Arjent lightbar.

Starts at 4:10 also the cop is wearing jeans ???

where were they in LA?

If I knew that, then I would've answered my own question :P

Now, I don't know for sure, I have never seen this show, but seeing as it is in LA, then it may have been a CHP unit you saw. CHP does have several white units.

Actually I just figured it out. On Road Wars, if there is a clip from another country, they never talk to the police involved like they do with the UK clips. Obviously they don't research their facts either.

This is a similar video, but with a different narrator and no policemen interviews. The chase took place in Texas, No L.A.

Guest matt31896
We already determined that that scene was fake because of the light bars.

Besides operation repo is faked. The first episode the camera crew magicall escaped a ranch that was full of ganstas wit guns lol.

As a question, if OpR is faked, why have guns been shot at the crew, plus I've seen LAPD cops in jeans. Plus some newer LAPD models have flashing lightbars(2008).