rescue_nerd

Emergency 5: worse than I thought.

Dosed Monkey, can you run some diagnostics like GPU utilization, RAM, CPU, average FPS, low FPS and settings etc.  I am just very curious if you are getting better performance how it was achieved. 

Also, please no one get the idea that because it doesn't run well that it is a bad game, or a failure.  I do not think that, most people do not.  I don't think anyone believes that there was not hard work put in, but at the same time we cannot be blinded by the obvious deficiencies and examine them for improvement.  

Some of you mod, some of you don't. almost no one understands. EM5 was a huge step for the companies that worked on this game. A literal start from scratch to create something we've never seen before, and they achieved it. If you feel the need to say its disappointing or mad please, step up and create your own game from scratch with 0 bugs, 0 issues. Its why patching systems exist. When a large product is made, it's very rarely going to be flawless.

Tl;dr: give it time

Only because it's the only game of its kind I'm not allowed to dislike it? And it has nothing to do with hate I have no idea why you came up with that. These are just opinios. Don't get me wrong I'm not angry at your comment or mad at the game. I just think Em5 is not great.

10fps. I get 50 in GTA IV, gg

I think your forgetting that Rockstar games made gta iv with 100 million dollars. Sixteen tons is not a big company. they dont have the funding to create a flawless game. Emergency 5 was probably made with only 1 million dollars. And especially with piracy so huge in 2014, its even harder. 

Having bugs and glitches in the game is one thing but having an unoptimized piece of software that doesn't run properly on high end gaming systems, that's a total different scenario. Seriously guys, people are reporting performance issues with cards like GTX 780ti, 770 (incl myself) and AMD equivalents. And some of you think it's okay for this to happen. If you would purchase a car in real life which is promoted as a total new series, you drive it but immediately the engine stutters, fuel consumption is too high or it stalls in mid drive, would you react the same? I think not. Regardless if your game is a triple A title (i.e. AC: Unity, Watch Dogs) or not, you pay money for it so at least I would expect it to run decently - not perfect, but decent.

Having bugs and glitches in the game is one thing but having an unoptimized piece of software that doesn't run properly on high end gaming systems, that's a total different scenario. Seriously guys, people are reporting performance issues with cards like GTX 780ti, 770 (incl myself) and AMD equivalents. And some of you think it's okay for this to happen. If you would purchase a car in real life which is promoted as a total new series, you drive it but immediately the engine stutters, fuel consumption is too high or it stalls in mid drive, would you react the same? I think not. Regardless if your game is a triple A title (i.e. AC: Unity, Watch Dogs) or not, you pay money for it so at least I would expect it to run decently - not perfect, but decent.

Running EM5 on a GTX 690 without any mayor performance issues at all. Almost completed the campaign, and I have been enjoying the h*ll out of the game so far.

Had some mayor fps issues at my first run, but after I realized I haven't updated my GPU drivers for the last 6 months everything is running smootly.

Of course there are bugs, and performance needs a bit of work. Vehicles tend to get stuck, and clip through the ground/end up in the water at some points, which I hope they will fix on the next patch. But it's playable.

Of course there are bugs, and performance needs a bit of work. Vehicles tend to get stuck, and clip through the ground/end up in the water at some points, which I hope they will fix on the next patch. But it's playable.

The thing is the "but its playable" in my opinion isn't really an acceptable standard for a published and paid for game like Emergency 5, you can say that about modifications maybe but they are made from others such as myself who do it as a hobby and are free. I don't feel that just because they are a smaller company than most, that it is an excuse for releasing a product that has some major issues. Mikey basically sums up my thoughts on the game in his post http://forum.emergency-planet.com/topic/19763-emergency-and-its-future/#entry285459 

Here is my problem with the sentiment a good deal of steadfast defenders have used in regards to this game, as well as others out there.  Yes, they can and should release patching for their games and yes there is far more variety in configuration options available out there that must be tested for compatibility on a game in order to ensure effective performance with their new wares... However, in the industry as a standard (meaning it is the exception, not the rule) most companies have gotten so bad about pre-release testing that they have massive fatal issues within the game, some to the point that in the release-for-purchase version you can't even progress through the whole storyline out of the box because of a glitch that should've been caught well within testing the software.  Add on top of that the number of games released that simply put cannot run on the top-20 GPU's and CPU's available out there?  Come on now in any other industry this would be considered a defective product.  The sad truth is the gaming community for PC has gotten to the point that they accept this as the normal flow of things for most PC games, so they continue to support the offenders just for the fact that they make a product they could like.

This is why the PC gaming field is slowly falling by the wayside, anyone who wishes to argue this point merely needs to look at a game selling store/site and note the fact of how many wares are available for a console vs. PC.  Yes in the console versions you have the same hardware configuration you are working with, but on the same page they can't just drop a product that doesnt work as-promised, turn around 3 months down the line and re-release a patched version and have any confidence the consumer market will re-purchase the game for their patches within it to play the game.  People with consoles KNOW that the product they are going to get for the most part is at least polished enough to call a completed work.  Yes they still have bugs within them, but unlike PC they are rarely fatal bugs that end the experience, nor do they have the spotty coverage of performance issues.  Such is why the console option appeals to so many of the former PC gaming communities, it is just far more stable in the premise that you ARE getting what you paid for.

What is extremely sad to me in this instance is the fact that I feel (this is my opinion, I have no idea whether or not it is indeed the case or not)... I feel that with this game they just simply put did not properly test the product at all on any variety of systems out there, even using a few purchased off the market out-the-box computers would've enabled them to see the types of issues people are running into.  It is very sad to me that it appears that mod makers; people doing the work for FREE spend more effort ensuring appropriate performance of their mods than the company did on their for-profit product.  I have been involved in several instances of BETA tests where different rigs were not only desired, but sought out in order to ensure that the mods would work on several varying types of system setups.  On the same flip of the coin though, if one of the mod teams were to release a mod that looked pretty, but doesnt run right and has tons of fatal bugs, everyone gets up in arms for US releasing broken products..  Isnt it a bit unfair to hold the free modders to a higher standard that the people who are actually getting paid, and paid at a certainly professional level for their product?

Testing cannot and will not ever ensure that a product is completely flawless, but at the same time when you expect to get paid upper mid to high per copy of your product, you better be matching that level of quality on day 1 if you don't want to have people feeling very much like they were conned.  People forget that patching really was intended when the gaming industry for PC  started as a means to fine-tune the end product, in most instances today patching is done so frequently because of the fact that proper testing and quality assurance was simply overlooked as a cost-saving mechanism in order to make a larger profit.  This of course comes at the peril of making products that simply don't work as intended for a decent base of the consumers out there, which is why the PC gaming industry is in a much lower standing than it once was.

I know comparing games generally does not apply, especially when they are from genres that do not share much in common, but if you look at EM5's graphics, they certainly are not at a 2014 level..  A game that looks nice in a screenshot is fine compared to its predecessor, but what about the rest of the games available on the market today and from just a few years ago?  Would you consider EM5's graphics to be on par with some of the other games you also enjoy but are within 3 years of em5's release?  In my opinion the game looks pretty good, but it isnt onto the par of other performance chugging games out there, from racing, to shooters, to even RTS games that are out there, there are many of them that look just as good, in some instances better.  IF you want to look at the appearance of the visuals, in gaming it can be compared in spite of the fact the games are totally different in setup.

For me, I feel this game is very similar to emergency 2013 but with the promise that it can be modded (albeit not as easy as advertised).  Ya'll can disagree with me and probably will do so, that is fine.  The graphics are improved over emergency 4, that is undeniable, the gameplay is a bit dumbed down compared to EM4, in some ways this could be good or bad, depends on the user.  But when you have a game that was released in 2005-6 vs a game made in 2014.  One would certainly hope that it looks improved over the previous entry (8 years between them both I believe).  Yes it is an all-new engine that they made for this game, but that's part of game design is that you DO have to make new engines for your wares, esp when you're talking  8 years since the game that is your target for replacement.  

I don't see it as any type of favor that they made a new engine for this game, just because an engine is new does not mean that it is always better than the previous generations (IE more stable, better performance, etc.).  Unless they can get the performance issues resolved and fix the fatal bugs, all of the PR touting the benefits of the all-new game simply will fall upon deaf ears.  These guys are getting paid quite well to make a product that is supposed to be on the edge, but also deliver said product in working fashion.  Hopefully their all new engine can be tweaked to fix the fatal issues the game is currently showing on many people's systems.  It ran fine on mine, but given what I paid for this laptop, it autta.

I feel that with this game they just simply put did not properly test the product at all on any variety of systems out there, even using a few purchased off the market out-the-box computers would've enabled them to see the types of issues people are running into.

I'm pretty sure they knew about the issues. It's impossible they didn't test it. It feels like they rushed the game, even though it's been delayed several times.

I must have missed the post somewhere, but is there a reason I can't like posts? I would've saved the forum space and just hit the "Like This" button (only three times!). :P

Excellent post again. I've seen quite a few others mention the same thing in regard to the patching of games these days. I find it rather sad that Emergency 5 has received 48% of its reviews as negative on Steam. I can't help but feel that a large (perhaps not majority, but quite close) amount of the user base is dissapointed. Granted, not all those reviews are soley because of optimization issues, but quite frankly most of them ARE because of the optimization issues and numerous bugs.

I would love to cut them some slack here but this was a pc exclusive so they really have no excuse for the performance issues of this game. They had it a lot easier than other developers and they couldn't even handle it.so unless they have super computers or didn't have the thought to test this on a variety of computers there is no excuse. I think they just didn't test this game enough or didnt have the time to because it was already behind schedule. Either way it's unacceptable and we as a community should take a stand against this trend of subpar pc game releases.

Some of you mod, some of you don't. almost no one understands. EM5 was a huge step for the companies that worked on this game. A literal start from scratch to create something we've never seen before, and they achieved it. If you feel the need to say its disappointing or mad please, step up and create your own game from scratch with 0 bugs, 0 issues. Its why patching systems exist. When a large product is made, it's very rarely going to be flawless.

Tl;dr: give it time

You may want to provide some examples of what the "huge steps" might be. That way, people may see what you're saying and understand.

I must have missed the post somewhere, but is there a reason I can't like posts? I would've saved the forum space and just hit the "Like This" button (only three times!). :P

Excellent post again. I've seen quite a few others mention the same thing in regard to the patching of games these days. I find it rather sad that Emergency 5 has received 48% of its reviews as negative on Steam. I can't help but feel that a large (perhaps not majority, but quite close) amount of the user base is dissapointed. Granted, not all those reviews are soley because of optimization issues, but quite frankly most of them ARE because of the optimization issues and numerous bugs.

have you tried posting the Like this button which appear above the quote botton?

Yes, that's the exact button I was referring to. :)

I just get a message about reaching the positive quota for the day. I imagine it's probably just a disabled or reserved feature.

i get the same one...that or the feature is current off

I can't use it either.

Maybe admin are not staff? :grinsevil:

The like button is disabled for normal members, only staff can use it. It would probably get used for too much if it was active.

I would think it be better to have 30 like on thread. then 30 replays that all say.  I like that.     It would at least cut down on clutter.....Of course that my

Maybe admin are not staff? :grinsevil:

I would think it be better to have 30 like on thread. then 30 replays that all say.  I like that.     It would at least cut down on clutter.....Of course that my

I like this. ^ :holdglass:

Hmm... I'm still feeling my away around EM5. All I can say is "meh"....  maybe I'm just used to the LA Mod and other Mods (plus all the variations made to it.)..

I can like posts =) *better than ze hoop, the problem is that unfortunately you can't dislike things too, so imean that is totally biased in one direction.  I don't believe it is right to allow liking but not disliking posts too.

TBH the reason it isnt enabled is because it is a fairly useless feature, some would use it but most wouldnt change their behavior in spite of there being a like button. Just wouldnt happen.

going to be intresting to see what the 1.2.0 patch will include/fix. but ye alot is buggy at the moment.
And at some mechanics it feels like they have taken a step backwards.

I do however like when the firemen use the heavy firetruck and connect thire hoses to it, but it seems bugged becouse they only do it half the time.
But tbh i love the new grafics, it looks amazing, but needs some optimization. :)

going to be intresting to see what the 1.2.0 patch will include/fix. but ye alot is buggy at the moment.

And at some mechanics it feels like they have taken a step backwards.

I do however like when the firemen use the heavy firetruck and connect thire hoses to it, but it seems bugged becouse they only do it half the time.

But tbh i love the new grafics, it looks amazing, but needs some optimization. :)

Yes, it really does.

The scripting language is Lua...which is a common language for game scripting and it's not some custom C-- language like Em4.

I'm super excited about scripting. On the surface it appears that they've created a lot of room for expansion in the scripting department.

You may hate it...but I love it for the modding capabilities that were added.

Nice short informative read. That's what I like to hear!