Pottyscotty

Windows 10 | Yay or Nay?

I'm trying to decide whether to or not. Although I do have the benefit of having 2 devices that can be upgraded, one being a laptop/tablet hybrid purely used for work etc.

I reckon I'm going to upgrade that to Windows 10, and then depending on my opinion, the desktop may, or may not, follow.

I'm doubtful as to it being 100% working correctly, it has just been released so bugs/glitches are to be expcted at this point. As far as I'm aware, there's also certain features that aren't going to be available until later in the year.

I have windows 8.1, if not for the way they "pushed" 10 I might've tried it, but given that whole debacle of hiding it in an update that you could not just make go away with ease, I passed on win10.  Essentially handsup is correct, if you've got win7 and are in love with it, there isnt much incentive to be one of the guinea pigs for their windows 8 v2.  If you've got 8 or 8.1 and wanna be a guinea pig, you're potentially gaining some problems but more likely than not will probably have very little change for your experience, other than some UI changes (none of which I use or care about, which makes me not wish to upgrade).   Truth is, 8.1 is pretty stable and the UI issues can be sorted out with 3rd party or adjusting the system yourself, so for me being an old-school user I have no incentive to want to be the guinea pig on 10.

As to whether or not it will run em4/5.... I'd be willing to bet the farm it will not have issues doing that, aside from a "vanilla" install out-of-the-box.. Upgrading your existing dependencies are in place, but as with any vista+ OS win10 will have the same problems running games as old as em4 without the dependencies added into it if it's a brand new clean install.  Though for the moment that isnt an issue since it's an "upgrade" for now.

I'm on Windows 8.1 like others, it isn't too bad and I much prefer it to Win 7. It's definately a good idea to wait before you upgrade though, Scott, as it might break a lot of features for you including EM4 possibly. 

Nope windows 10 and 911 First Responders has no probelms.  I know that for a fact. As I upgrade today and just finished a 30 minute game.  With zero issues.  

I have windows 10 on my old computer and... no it does not work.

Yet on my PC.  Where it work on 8.1 it worked fine after the upgrade to windows 10.   Did you upgrade you video drivers?  Both ATI(AMD) and Nvidia have release new windows 10 drivers this week.  

I have windows 10 on my old computer and... no it does not work.

My guess is that you don't have the steam version of the game. I have both copies and find that the steam version works better with later versions of Windows, though I'm yet to test it with 10. It's incredibly cheap so I'd recommend getting it.

On my old computer I have intel and I have all drivers updated.

And did Intel release windows 10 drivers on July 29 or there abouts?

Also is your version the stream version. I have others version but I only yes the steam version any more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tried the preview, didnt like that I couldnt use Stardock Fences and be able to arrange my desktop icons

Well they must fixed that on one end or the other as I am using star dock fences and Windows 10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you lose files after downloading windows 10? Cant be bothered sorting everything out with steam and reinstalling mods.

No, actually it keep basically everything except my wallpaper. I'm just an extra careful person, unfortunately. 

Personally I downloaded windows 10, its a great set up but after a couple days I started to realise it threw all of my graphics and performance off when playing games. I used to be able to play EM5 and Company Of Heroes 2 ect in ultra grade graphics, but as soon as windows 10 updated, I was barley even able to play them in the lowest graphics setting possible, so I switched back to windows 8.1 which is brilliant for me and now all my games run in ultra again