Newfoundking

Forum Spam

As it has been brought to many's attention, we are recently experiencing a huge amount of spam. This happens from time to time, bots beat the system, and then they attack every site using said system. You'll be safe as long as you don't touch their posts.

If you see a suspcious topic, just report it to a moderator using the report button, or by telling one of us directly if you're talking to us at said time.

How to tell if it's a bad post?

-If the member is brand new and telling you about a site (look at post count) then they're not trustworthy. Report it.

-If a member has posted several topics at once, it's spam. Regardless if it's human or bot, report it.

-If the user has one post, is promoting something strange, and has no signature or avatar, it's probably a bot, report it.

Like I said, you're at no threat right now, as these bots only see what you (regular members) can see. If you clicked a link, or submitted any information, I recommend scanning your computer immediately with a virus and malware scanner to ensure you're safe. Once you leave our site, we cannot garuntee you are safe from viruses or malware, so it's best to be protected. We apologize for any problems this may have caused. I'm sure More Staff will update as more information becomes available, but the best thing you can do for us while we look for a fix, is reporting any and all suspcious users and posts via the report button on the post or profile. We will respond swiftly to ban members and remove posts.

Thank you for your help during this time

Newfoundking and the EMP Staff

EDIT

As MikeyPI made mention to, posting replies to spam topics doesn't do anything at all, except pad your post count, and for those 6 seconds the topic will exist, I don't think the plus 1 is worth your time, since we'll delete it from your count and lower it by ten because of me... mwhahahahah

spam-collection-2005-04.jpg

Lotta spam these days my banhammer is getting tired=-(

I fully agree on that point. Also, don't reply to spambot posts, because they will not reply. And even if they were human and did reply, your own replies would most likely encourage them to continue with the spam. Like Newfoundking said, the best thing to do is just report the post and never click the links! ;-)

I just banned another bot, and I'm pretty sure this is thanks to our wonderful friend, X - Rumer. Oh how we love him. We're working on a fix for blocking them out. From time to time, he'll beat us a little bit, and then we'll counteract.

Make the world's best armour, they'll make a better bullet

(PS our friend is a software program)

The beloved webmaster Stan, has spent money to put the spam filters back up so hopefully the bot-reign has come to an end 100%, same rules as before though if it seems suspicious report it, one of us will get off our lazy cans and check them to ensure they are legitimate users=)

Warmest Regards,

EMP Staff

(from moderation team THANK YOU STAN!)

Guest Francis

The beloved webmaster Stan, has spent money to put the spam filters back up so hopefully the bot-reign has come to an end 100%, same rules as before though if it seems suspicious report it, one of us will get off our lazy cans and check them to ensure they are legitimate users=)

Warmest Regards,

EMP Staff

(from moderation team THANK YOU STAN!)

Spent money? O_O No, spam monitoring was always free and always will, it's built in IP.Board and comes with every valid IPB license, unless it wasn't renewed.

Spent money? O_O No, spam monitoring was always free and always will, it's built in IP.Board and comes with every valid IPB license, unless it wasn't renewed.

Time to update your knowledge about IPB :) ...Perpetual License holders have no access to the Spam monitor so no it ain't free and it won't always be free since you're paying for it with your renewals

Guest Francis

Time to update your knowledge about IPB :) ...Perpetual License holders have no access to the Spam monitor so no it ain't free and it won't always be free since you're paying for it with your renewals

Hence the last part of my sentence containing "every valid IPB license, unless it wasn't renewed."

How to tell if it's a bad post?

-If the member is brand new and telling you about a site (look at post count) then they're not trustworthy. Report it.

-If a member has posted several topics at once, it's spam. Regardless if it's human or bot, report it.

-If the user has one post, is promoting something strange, and has no signature or avatar, it's probably a bot, report it.

Also if you aren't sure you can copy a section of the text and Google it. Chances are there will be plenty of exact posts.

Note to members do NOT reply to suspicious posts that are most likely spam, there is no logical reason to do so as if it is a bot it won't be reading your post anyway... Bumping your post count up (why people do it I'll never fathom) by spamming a spam topic is pointless and rather annoying to clean up.... Just report the things and we'll get to them when we get a chance... We tend to get to them pretty fast if notified of their existance.