Voodoo_Operator

Operation Sigpic

Post changed by Pyrothijs on the 17th of january because the signature rules have changed.

I've noticed lately that signature pictures have grown both in size and quantity. In order to keep the forum as readable as possible, it is necessary to avoid large pictures which use a lot of bandwidth, require a lot of scrolling to view board content, and are sometimes a bit annoying when they are way too huge.

There are rules for the file size, dimensions and quantity of signature pictures. I would like to bring them up to your attention:

*Signatures can contain banners, pictures, userbars or text. Animated pictures or banners (.gif or .png) are allowed. Video's (e.g. youtube) aren't allowed in signatures.

The maximum dimensions of the signature are 500 by 180 pixels. The maximum size of the signature is 450 kb.

The same rules that apply to posting on the forum also apply to your signature. This means your signature cannot contain any vulgar, profane, offensive or obscene language or images and must not show any disrespect towards others. Also a users signature may not contain spam or (links to) websites that contain things forbidden by these Terms of Service, Dutch law or by the law in his or her own country.

*The EMP-staff has the right to remove or edit all signatures not respecting the above rules without prior notice. The EMP-staff also has the right to adjust or delete all signatures that they consider to be too large or unfit for a forum visited by people from all ages. The user that does not respect these rules will receive a warning.

If your signature was edited/removed by the EMP-staff they will replace the signature by a text explaining why the signature was removed. After your signature is removed, you are allowed to post a new signature as long as that signature respects these rules.

Over the next few days, we will be enforcing these rules. When a signature or element from a signature is non-compliant, the user will recieve a warning PM asking them to change their signature according to the TOS. If the user doesn't act upon this PM the entire signature will be removed an replaced by a text similar to this:

Signature removed by staff for not complying with the signature rules.

More on signature rules can be found here.

Feel free to remove this message once your signature is compliant!

As the message says, you just have to make your signature compliant and remove the message when you're done. we will not be giving out warnings for this matter unless signatures are repetitively non-compliant after receiving the message. You still need to comply to whatever the message says, though.

Thank you for your cooperation!

Edited by pyrothijs
Edited post because of new signature rules and warning PM policy

I've noticed lately that signature pictures have grown both in size and quantity. In order to keep the forum as readable as possible, it is necessary to avoid large pictures which use a lot of bandwidth, require a lot of scrolling to view board content, and are sometimes a bit annoying when they are way too huge.

I second that motion.

Is mine too big or is it the right size?

Should be ok, but you should remove the "quote" tags on the bottom sentence.

Lol, pyro your signiture doesn't comply with the rules. :prop:

I wouldn't say it doesn't comply at all, the rules are not quite clear when it comes to userbar/text/banner combos if neither of them are maxed out. Just to be on the safe side, pyro, could your set your text to be at normal size? The rules are hard to enforce if people start to think that moderators don't follow them...

Edited by Voodoo_Operator

I agree with the rule. BTW Is my sig ok?

The Newark mod banner is too big. It cannot be higher than 78 pixels if it is used with another banner. However, don't remove it right now. Since many people use the banners for the Newark mod, I'm going to make compliant ones that they will be able to use.

Is mine too big or is it the right size?

In my opinion, the quote box is pretty annoying. Other than that, it's all good.

I agree with the rule. BTW Is my sig ok?

No, either remove the NYC Mod banner or the Newark Mod banner. But that's just my opinion.

I'd say: Either one big banner in the sig OR no more than 6 of these stupid userbar things. In all cases: No more than 4 lines of text besides the images.

I have 1 big banner + 2 lines of text in my sig and that's more than enough.

Personally i think the rules are bit strict. I see nothing wrong with a banner 200 pixels in height. I dont know of any forums I post at that have rules this strict. None the less, I do think it needs to be enforced more. Good job Voodo.

I think the rules are "strict" because sometimes it can feel like a thread is made up entirely of banners and sig (most noticable on other forums) besides, people don't need several banners.

Lol, pyro your signiture doesn't comply with the rules. :prop:

Apart from the oversized text, my signature complied with the rules.

It clearly states:

- If you use three userbars or less you are allowed to use 3 text lines of 12 in size or a banner as long as the size of the userbars + the banner stays at max. 140 pixels in size!

So because I only use two userbars I can also add an image/banner. As long as the heigth of the sinature doesn't exceed 140 pixels. Mine was exactly 140 pixels high. 1046276347_thefinger.gif

But I do agree there was no need for the banner to be exactly 140 pixels high, so to set an example I scaled down the image. I also changed the text to a normal size in stead of size 5.

I think the rules are "strict" because sometimes it can feel like a thread is made up entirely of banners and sig (most noticable on other forums) besides, people don't need several banners.

The current limit is 140. I suggested 200. I dont think the extra 60 pixels here and there is going to break your finger from the scrolling. ;)

People should just read the TOS and they'll find these rules, however it's lovely you remind us of it, as i'm sure 50% of the people here haven't read the TOS.

I did along time ago :P. I saw it said two banners, BUT I have no idea what size my banners are. :)

@MT275: Grizzly was contacted. Thanx for helping us out.

I saw it said two banners, BUT I have no idea what size my banners are. :)

For everybody who is wondering what size his or her banners are:

-Right click the picture and select propreties.

-On the 'general' tab (first tab) you can see the size (number of bytes) and the dimensions (number of pixels, width x heigth).

If you use two banners the maximum dimension is a heigth of 78 pixels per banner according to the TOS. Most banners are 80 pixels in heigth. So to make sure you do not have to resize those banners because they are two pixels too high we have decided to allow 80 pixels per banner as a maximum heigth if you use two banners. Those extra 4 pixels won't kill anyone.