MikesPhotos

Offering my assistance.

Hey Mike, i just saw a video of a LAPD Slicktop and Marked Unit using Hide-A-Way Lights in their headlights...looks pretty sweet!, So thats why i updated my LAPD unit, comparing to real life units now. If you wana see it, i'll be glad to give it to you.

:huh: quick question, Hoppah are you going to include the "light equipment vehicle" like in 1.8 for 1.9?

because LA City doesn't use those, LA County does and they're staffed with paramedics only...

^mike, am I right?^

I've seen no reference that Hoppah is planning on removing the LACoFD Paramedic Squad that has been in the game since I joined this board. They provide a critical ALS and Rescue component to areas of the board that are difficult to reach by the stations.

oftopic: what station are you stationed mike?

In case you haven't noticed, this board is filled with lots of little children with emotional and attitude problems. The last thing I want is one of them to get on his little huffy bike and bug me at work :)

Oh yeah on Animial Regs, Are the officers regular LAPD unies or are they completly different?

Completely different. They are part of the Los Angeles Animal Services Animal Control officers. I believe they are special officers, much like the the Bureau of Street Services Illegal Dumping members. They have special powers to cite and investigate, but work with LAPD for other needs.

You can read about a real life occurrence that mimics the call in the game here.

Hey Mike, i just saw a video of a LAPD Slicktop and Marked Unit using Hide-A-Way Lights in their headlights...looks pretty sweet!, So thats why i updated my LAPD unit, comparing to real life units now. If you wana see it, i'll be glad to give it to you.

The new lights have been documented on this board and a full walkaround was on my site since at least July and October 2008th. In the year since the first units got them, a handful more hybrids, both unmarked and marked have gotten them, and they're hoping for full changeover by 2012. Right now i'd say it's about 10% - 15% of the cars have the new light setup.

I've seen no reference that Hoppah is planning on removing the LACoFD Paramedic Squad that has been in the game since I joined this board. They provide a critical ALS and Rescue component to areas of the board that are difficult to reach by the stations.

FYI, Mike, the LES has been removed(officially) from the game for over a year I believe, which i what he asked about. The HES is still in the game.

FYI, Mike, the LES has been removed(officially) from the game for over a year I believe, which i what he asked about. The HES is still in the game.

His post is a real exercise in reading comprehension to put it lightly. He asked:

"Hoppah are you going to include the "light equipment vehicle" like in 1.8 for 1.9?"

The key words being the vehicle like in 1.8.

As you pointed out, the LEV was a fantasy creation of Hoppahs to fulfill a specific need that became the LACoFD squad a while ago. He mentioned it was in 1.8, so one can only deduce he was referring to the current squad in the game which will not be removed in the upcoming versions.

So are officers working in LASD air rescue 5 higher ranking officers like detectives with special traning or can you transfer to it right out of traning?

His post is a real exercise in reading comprehension to put it lightly. He asked:

lol i love your wording.

The key words being the vehicle like in 1.8.

As you pointed out, the LEV was a fantasy creation of Hoppahs to fulfill a specific need that became the LACoFD squad a while ago. He mentioned it was in 1.8, so one can only deduce he was referring to the current squad in the game which will not be removed in the upcoming versions.

Your right. Hell, I still cant seem to gather why one would even assume that, but none the less nice catch there :P

So are officers working in LASD air rescue 5 higher ranking officers like detectives with special traning or can you transfer to it right out of traning?

The selection process for ESD is very exacting because not only must you have put your time in the Jails and patrol, but must be able to pass the SWAT training, Scuba Diving and Rescue classes, and be a paramedic. They're not necessarily higher ranking, but they all have quite a bit of time on the department. They mostly look at people who have been a paramedic and a scuba diver for a while with a good dive log book and ability to function in high stress situations and environments.

One thing worth noting, LAPD doesn't have any paramedics on their SWAT team, with just a handful being EMT trained by their own volition

hmmmmm you would think they would considering the fact they have multi SWAT teams they would have one per team if im correct. so they must have to coridnate alot with the lafd in case somthing goes wrong.

hmmmmm you would think they would considering the fact they have multi SWAT teams they would have one per team if im correct. so they must have to coridnate alot with the lafd in case somthing goes wrong.

This is a major source of debate in the Public Safety community all across the country and the world. Paramedic skills, like any other skill, will deteriorate without use. SWAT medics primarily train as SWAT officers and rarely have any time to utilize their skills in the real world beyond some practice and refresher training. Compare that to a fire paramedic who is constantly utilizing his skills, learning new ones, improving and getting better all of the time. LASD manages to get the best of both worlds by embedding ESD paramedics with the SWAT team. Because of their normal function on Air 5 dealing with numerous ALS and BLS calls and rescues, their skills are constantly in use and being improved. On the other hand, their SWAT skills are not at their peak but good enough to still be a productive component. LAPD doesn't have a rescue function like the sheriff, so they really don't have that opportunity.

One thing worth nothing, LAPD Rescue 4 is an armored Lenco Bearcat set up as a tactical ambulance with oxygen, litter basket and med bags. After the North Hollywood bank shoot out, they realized the need to be able to get in, grab wounded civilians and officers and get them out to safety. A full set of pics of the inside will be upcoming. They're shot but about 7th on the list of stuff I have to work on.

yeah about the North Hollywood shoot out are any of the LASD air units ( ie Air REscue 5 ) traned to shoot out of a helicopter. I know a accuriate shot out of a movinghelicopter is extreamly difficult even for a well traned sniper but after the Suspects fired upon the helicopters atthe North Hollywood shoot out has lasd or lapd put any safty rules in place to minimize the risk to helicopters?

yeah about the North Hollywood shoot out are any of the LASD air units ( ie Air REscue 5 ) traned to shoot out of a helicopter. I know a accuriate shot out of a movinghelicopter is extreamly difficult even for a well traned sniper but after the Suspects fired upon the helicopters atthe North Hollywood shoot out has lasd or lapd put any safty rules in place to minimize the risk to helicopters?

Airborne Use of Force has been discussed on this board in various places, to quote from here

As far as airborne sniping goes, on the Law Enforcement side of things, what is known as "Airborne Use Of Force" is a concept employed by the LAPD in it's bag of tricks. But like all use of force incidents, it is rare and a very specialized tool. San Bernardino County SO is one of the leaders in this concept due to their large rural geography and its use in disabling fleeing vehicles. Lets be honest, there are going to be very very few times you'd ever want to fire a round from a helicopter into an urban setting.

I believe that LASD also has instituted an AUF policy, but I am unfamiliar with it off hand.

Mike, just wondering what purpose the LASD Rescue Hummer, or other rescue vehichles like that, serve in real life? Do they simply head up search and rescue operations?

The hummer is up in the Antelope Valley which, for those unfamiliar with SoCal, is basically all desert and canyons which is the perfect terrain for an off road vehicle like the Hummer. There are many calls there for missing and injured due to off road vehicle accidents such as dirt bikes and atvs. The hummer allows the LASD Reserve Deputies of the SAR team to be able to get there and effect a rescue and initiate medical treatment. It's not an ambulance or anything, just a better way of moving people and gear in off road areas.

And how do you know so much about LAPD if you work for the Fire Department?

The best answer I can give to that is that if you are insular and keep your eyes, ears and mind shut, you'll miss out on a plethora of knowledge and facts. Living in an LAPD area gives you great insight into their vehicles, tactics, and policies, as does being an active member of various community policing efforts. Plus it helps that I tend to be a friendly person in real life and have a lot of friends in various garbs. In 30 some odd years, I've either been there, done that, worked with them, worked beside them, had a drink with them, went sailing with them, or dated one of their sisters!

lol ha ha ha ha

btw can you tell me which of these hings are actually used

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...uKwH424M5_xsMEP

oh i have a idea for you mike....................You should be a emergency supervisor for movies. Tell people what firefighting tactics are used in real life, proper procedure for police, ect. Now directors are looking to make there movies as realistic as possible.

btw can you tell me which of these hings are actually used

Let's see,

UAV got nixed by the FAA

Tossable Video camera is utilized by both LAPD and LASD, probably not that exact model though

Cobra flashlight isn't

GPS launcher isnt

Pepper balls with stink and burning pellets are

MAD isnt. Was tested, but nixed

Forgive me Mike, but i am going to ask one more question regarding Hide-A-Way Lights, since i can't find a post or topic about it...

Since the LAPD are using Hide-a-Way lights, to my knowledge, i see them using it for the headlights, but are they using it for rear hazards? Have they installed the Hide-A-Way package into the brake dome?

Forgive me Mike, but i am going to ask one more question regarding Hide-A-Way Lights, since i can't find a post or topic about it...

Since the LAPD are using Hide-a-Way lights, to my knowledge, i see them using it for the headlights, but are they using it for rear hazards? Have they installed the Hide-A-Way package into the brake dome?

I'll try to field this, and Mike can correct me.

I haven't seen Hide-A-Ways on any LAPD MARKED units, or LASD for that matter. We have Wig-Wags, which are the standard bulbs with a flasher circuit, but I've never come across strobeson marked cars. I've seen them in Unmarked, but only as same-color as bulb.

We don't flash the CHMSL either, as there's a regulation somewhere about the CHMSL being nonswitched to retain its message (stopping only), which I can't seem to find... If you're talking about the regular combo BTT lights (Brake lights on either side of the car), I haven't seen LAPD Marked units flash them(Though there's probably some around), but I've seen them wag on Slicktops and UMs.

^excuse my ignorance on this one, as this may be a stupid question but what does CHMSL and BTT stand for?

Novious, are you an LA based LEO?

Mike, I was talking to my friends tonight, and I cant recall if he said this was just a Cali thing or nation wide, as he just got back from spending a few months in Cali, but he said, note that I dont have alot of faith in this, that Ford is said to be discontinue the CV. In its place Ford will make a car called an "Interceptor" which will be available with a civi package as well as a interceptor package like that of the CV. Have you heard any such rumors?

Hi Xplorer!

I'm not an LEO, just a big fan. I was working on a job with LASD, but my resume wasn't accepted. I do live in southern LA County, in walking distance of LASD's STARS Center. I'm not trying to imply that I know even a percentage of that which Mike can answer, just that I can ease his load of responses when he gets on if I snatch up some of the easy ones. :12:

CHMSL is "Center High Mount Stop Lamp", the center brake light. BTT is "Brake/Tail/Turn", denoting the combo function of the light. I spend too much time around lighting, I guess. I have relatives in a major light manufacturer for emergency vehicles, and the lingo tends to rub off.

And I'm looking forward to hearing Mike's responses on the CV. I've heard the rumors, but I don't think they're doing that for another few years. The Interceptor looks a lot like the Charger, I wonder if they're trying to compete... A sad state, considering LAPD and LASD don't seem to like the Charger in the first place.

I stand corrected. That's a North Hollywood unit. I'm from South LA County, which explains why I've never seen that one. I don't think that's a regular scheme, it seems too flashy for standard lighting. Sorry if I sounded harsh CFD, I was just trying to help. :blush:

Xplorer, nothing you said bothered me, it's all good. I agree with your comment on the Interceptor's roofline. I've been keeping an eye on the Carbon Motors C5 myself. A car that LEO's gave input on seems like a great way to go. I see a lot of great stuff in that cruiser.