MikesPhotos

Offering my assistance.

Just a quick heads up, I've been very busy shooting pics the last week or so and here's a list of what to expect coming up:

Coming up that might be of use to the LA Mod and other mods.

2008 Expo Pics

-USFS ANF Engine 31

--walk around of the engine as well as the Patrol

-CHP

--close up of lightbar and new push bumper strobes. I've only seen these on units in the Santa Clarita valley so far and just in the last few weeks

-County animal control truck

--Someone mentioned Animal Control

-County EMS Mobile Field Hospital

--10 bed hospital with 2 bed operating room. This semi is used to respond in 48hrs to a cripled hospital and work in conjunction with a 100 bed tent system for a period of 6 months. Only kind in the US, NC has a similar one, but older style, not as capable

--Also pics of their EMS medical doctor response SUV. used to transport doctors around disaster areas

-LACoPD

--Hoppah mentioned he liked the pics of the SUV, so I tried to get some more for him, as well as pics of the officers uniform. They're very similar to the LA Co. Sheriff's and rumors are they'll soon be absorbed by them.

-LASD

--Interior of the Crown Vic, Walk around of Kawasaki motor unit showing shotgun, radar gun and other details, LASD patrol boat, recruitment PT Cruiser, and Ford Expidition tow SUV for the boat

-USCG

--Auxillary patrol boat

-LACoFD

--lots of pics, though not really anything that is game related. B6, North Ops, E124, S124, Q126, Hazmat76 and gear, USAR 130, Swift Water 130, and SAR K9

LAFD Pics

-couple of shots of LF88, LF102, RA102, and USAR 88, no roof yet though.

LACoFD 24hr shift @ 144's

-Pics from fire simulator training at Fire Station 89

-Pics of Paramedic Assesment Engine 144, Patrol 144, Water Tender 144, Repair 5, including detail shots, E65, S89, B5

-Couple of medical aids and traffic accidents, 1 snake call

-Pics of thousand oaks PD (ventura county SO), Ventura County S31 and Engine 31 and 33, LASD and officers, and AMR paramedic Ambulance for Ventura County

All told i've got over 1100 pics in my "to do" file. They're all tagged and renamed, but they still need to be edited since I shoot in RAW.

Mike

In short, yes they use the Taser for certain suspects... Most of america law enforcement has started to attempt to purchase them for their "less than lethal" advertised result.

Do LAPD/LASD use Tazer/Taser
In short, yes they use the Taser for certain suspects... Most of america law enforcement has started to attempt to purchase them for their "less than lethal" advertised result.

As Mikey correctly stated, both LAPD and LASD have purchased and deploy TASERS along with other "Less-Lethal" tools. They both also have very strict guidelines and protocols for deploying them due to the obvious risks and dangers involved.

Mike can I ask:

What is the difference between LAFD and LACoFD?

And, what is the difference in jobs for the LAPD and the LASD?

The state of California, like many other states (but not all) in America, uses a system of counties, cities, and communities to partition local areas of government and control. Under the state, you have a large geographical area called a county which is usually run by a board of supervisors, and then inside of the county are municipal cities run by elected mayors.

The Los Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles Fire Department is part of the City of Los Angeles which is inside of the County of Los Angeles . Los Angeles City is an incorporated city and provides their own Police, Fire, Water and Power, Trash and many other governmental functions within the cities borders.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department and Sheriffs department are county resources and provide fire and police protection to the unincorporated parts of the county as well as work on contract with various other cities who cannot afford to have their own police or fire department such as the city of Inglewood and Norwalk. The LASD is also in charge of the Jails and Custody facilities in the county. If you look at these two maps you can see how patchwork the jurisdictional boundaries can be and how vast the County is compared to the city:

LAFD Map

LACoFD Map

Also note how many of the County Fire stations reside along borders with the city, and in some cases, are isolated inside of City territory like Fire stations 75, 7, 8, and 110. This is why many responses in those areas get mutual aid resources from both city and county fire departments.

The City of Los Angeles also contracts with the county for various services as well such as Coroner and Health-HAZMAT which is charged with the long term mitigation and handling of all Hazardous Materials Incidents. LAFD HAZMAT will respond to stabilize an emergency situation, but after that, it is turned over to the county for cleanup and any additional needs.

The LACoFD also provides hand crews and air assets (helicopters, helitack, and super scoopers when contracted) to LA City and LA City responds at least 1 air asset to all County fires as well.

Mike

As Mikey correctly stated, both LAPD and LASD have purchased and deploy TASERS along with other "Less-Lethal" tools. They both also have very strict guidelines and protocols for deploying them due to the obvious risks and dangers involved.

How do they carry them? Do they add the Taser Holster on their Tool Belt?

Yes, they typically have carrying holsters for the things.. If you look at a taser it has a design that is very similar to a pistol, this was done on purpose so that it would be easy for law enforcement to pick up and use effectively.... So it makes sense they'd also make a carrying holster for it that is easilly handled and acessed so that the thing can be used when it must be. After all, what good is a tool if you cannot get to it when you need it?

How do they carry them? Do they add the Taser Holster on their Tool Belt?

Not sure about LAPD, but LASD officers that carry a TASER do so with a leg/thigh holster and LA County Police carry a holster on their tool belt. Not every officer carries one though. During a normal shift only so many get specialty equipment such as

bean bag shot guns, tasers, and AR-15s.

Mike

I'm finishing up an AMR skin for personal use, and I've been looking on your site at the AMR photos, I know that there is something written on roof. Do you know exaclty what's on the roof, is it just AMR or is it AMR and the unit number?

One last stupid question does the USFS use a truck that looks like to Hoppah's old brush truck, I know they have the Patrol units, but are there different versions which look closer to Hoppah's model

I'm finishing up an AMR skin for personal use, and I've been looking on your site at the AMR photos, I know that there is something written on roof. Do you know exaclty what's on the roof, is it just AMR or is it AMR and the unit number?

One last stupid question does the USFS use a truck that looks like to Hoppah's old brush truck, I know they have the Patrol units, but are there different versions which look closer to Hoppah's model

Hmmm thought I replied to this but I don't see it so please pardon me for my late reply.

The AMR ambulances I've seen, which is rare now that they've lost almost all of LA County's contracts, had AMR, sometimes a 3 or 4 digit number, and usually the star of life on the top.

As for the USFS, their patrol trucks are radically different then the LAFD's. Even LACoFD's patrols are very very different.

Also note another major difference between LACoFD and LAFD engines is the chevrons in the back. LACoFD places theirs on the equipment doors below the hose bed as you can see here:

LACoFD-MA-4Seasons-070.jpg

Excellent Information. I'll go back and change engine skin, and I'll finish up the AMR one too. One last question who has the County contracts now?

Once again thank you for the help,

Nick

For a newer engine, I suggest going to my site and typing in E144 in the search window, you'll get a complete walkaround of one of our newer paramedic assesment rigs. For an older engine, E125 will give you a complete walkaround of the earlier KMEs.

Thank you, the walkarounds really helped.

On a less Related topic what are the difference betweena Type III and a Type IV engine?

Is it the euipment carried (I see that type IV's have a foam capability) or is is tank, crew capacity?

Thank you, the walkarounds really helped.

On a less Related topic what are the difference betweena Type III and a Type IV engine?

Is it the euipment carried (I see that type IV's have a foam capability) or is is tank, crew capacity?

Apparatus Type requirements are detailed in the Incident Command System 420-1 Field Operations Guide which lists the minimum ICS standards for resources. It is based on the Pump, Water Tank, Hose 2 1/2", Hose 1 1/2", Hose 1", Ladder, Master Stream and Personnel. Type 1's are typical Pavement princess municipal structure engines that we are all familiar with. Type 3's are typical Brush/Wildland engines like CDF, USFS, and other departments use. Type 4 and smaller are more like pickup truck patrols like LAFD and LACoFD use.

Mike

Ok that's what I thought the classifications were. This all came about from a news cast I saw on line when they showed BLM Firefighters training and Identified them as using type IV's even though they are probably type III's looking at their size.

Ok that's what I thought the classifications were. This all came about from a news cast I saw on line when they showed BLM Firefighters training and Identified them as using type IV's even though they are probably type III's looking at their size.

Just remember, size doesn't factor into the equation! Most older BLM engines are actually Type IV's because of their pump/tank and equipment they carry. Especially the older 1991 Internationals that you still find on many BLM lands. The newer ones which are similar to USFS and CDF's engines are type IIIs and I beleive made by masterbodyworks. Here is one from the BBD at the Topanga fire a little while back

LACoFD-TopangaFire-ICP-169.jpg

I'm not sure what the BLM S&S ATC Wildland Ultra's are. I believe Sand Diego City lists them as Type IIIs.

There is a star of life, "AMR", and the unit number starting with the year of production (example: 02-025), at least that's how it was when I worked for AMR in LA county.

Now the EMS contracts are dispersed among a ton of companies. There's AMR, CARE, Westmed/McCormick, Emergency, Schaeffer to name a few.

Hey MCERT1, if you make models for a private ambulance, and especially if you make a model for an LA County FD engine, please let me know! I'd love to try it out.

Because some of you enjoy learning a bit more about the LAFD, this is from the latest weekly bulletin:

Effective July 8, 2008, the LAFD will have 106 fire stations

and these resources:

• 130 Ambulances – 89 Paramedic and 41 BLS

• 101 Engine Companies – 40 Paramedic and 61 BLS

• 49 Light Forces – 21 Paramedic and 28 BLS

• 5 Fireboats

• 5 Helicopters

Paramedic can be either a full Paramedic resource, or a Paramedic Assessment resource, and BLS is staffed with all EMT-B level personnel.

Just going by the number of ambulances (staffed with 2), engines (staffed with 4), and light forces (staffed with 6), you're looking at 958 Men and Women manning those front line apparatus each day. Add in the USAR, Heavy Rescue, and other specialty units, and you can see just how large the Los Angeles City Fire Department truly is.

Mike

Paramedic can be either a full Paramedic resource, or a Paramedic Assessment resource, and BLS is staffed with all EMT-B level personnel.
I've never understood the rationale behind having paramedic trucks and EMT trucks - why don't they split 41 of those para crews to make 82 mixed crews meaning that every punter gets a paramedic?