Hoppah

[EM4] Los Angeles Mod by Hoppah

Good Eye Hunter42! Yes, the flag on the right shoulder should INDEED be backwards! Here is a quote from stars and stripes magazine that you can find via numerous sources such as snopes.com and others by googling.

Why do American soldiers wear the U.S. flag insignia "backwards" on the right shoulder of their utility uniforms, with the canton (the rectangle with the stars) on an observer's right?

It's a question that soldiers hear frequently as they travel through civilian airports, or talk to members of other services.

And it does look "wrong," because U.S. federal code calls for the canton to always be positioned to the left.

The soldiers aren't wrong, however, and neither are their tailors, Lt. Col. Stanley Heath, an Army spokesman, explained in a Friday telephone interview.

The Army actually has two authorized flag patches, one to be worn on the left shoulder, with the canton facing left, and another "reverse field" patch worn on the right, with the canton facing right.

The two different orientations are mandated because Army regulations call for the flag "to be worn so that to observers, it looks as if the flag is flying against a breeze," Heath said.

What does a stiff wind have to do with this custom?

In fact, the rule is a nod to the U.S. Army's early history, when wars were fought as a series of carefully choreographed battles  two armies meeting on a field, clashing head-on until one side emerged victorious.

In those battles, both mounted cavalry and infantry units would always designate one soldier as "standard bearer," to carry the Colors into the fight.

As the standard bearer charged, his rapid forward momentum would cause the flag to stream back.

And since the Stars and Stripes is mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section would always be forward.

So if a soldier is charging into the battle, the flag would give the appearance of forward motion. For the right shoulder, the flag only appears "backward."

And that's why soldiers wear the flag patches on the right shoulder "backward." Because retreat in battle, as any soldier will tell you, is not the Army way.

It's not just the army though, every service of the military follows the same regulations regarding the flag as well as Fire/EMS and Law Enforcement Agencies. You'll even find the Boy Scouts of America do as well!

Is there a list of features and/or possible release date for the next mod?

http://forum.emergency-planet.com/index.ph...ost&p=29910

from this post(click on the link) you see the progres of LA mod 1.5 with all the new things ;) ,all the pages before are the older versions of the LA mod(1.4,1.3,....)i dont now when the new version of the LA mod will release but hoppah will tell us ;)

and welcome to the forum :welcome:

Guest rescue_me
I just finished the California Highway Patrol Dodge Charger!

I decided to make a marked version with push bumper and a LED lightbar, because it looks so cool.

The car has the same functions as all other patrol cars except the higher speed.

It has 3 doors (passenger, driver & trunk lid) and about 2.000 polygons including the 4 wheels and the 3 doors.

Front picture (effects added with Photoshop):

chpdodgecharger2dv3.jpg

Back:

chpdodgechargerpk4.jpg

Hoppah

Happah

Charger Looks great!

ARE you gonna put it in the Lamod.1.4///?????????

No. The Charger is for the next version (1.5). Here's a list with all new features for v1.5:

Done:

- Fire station, police station and hospital added to Deluxe freeplaymap.

- Fire Extinguishers added to police vehicles.

- Most police units can use fire extinguishers and carry persons now.

- Multiplayer events edited and specs changed. Thanks to Winger.

- New sirens.

- Hat added to CHP patrolman.

- New body & helmet for SWAT unit and National Guard.

- Events & Superevents files improved. Thanks to Mav1701.

- New vehicle: CHP Dodge Charger.

To Do:

- One new mission.

- Deluxe translation.

- Some new voices (battalion chief, pd helicopter, etc...).

- Bewaffnete Festnahme (Armed arrest) scripts from Woltep.

- Change of most FD vehicles.

Hoppah :)

Guest Robin93

Hey Hoppah,

nice Charger, it looks really great.

Cool also what you've done so far.

Maybe v.1.5 will be released with the new year, hm? :sporty:

Whatever, keep on good work. :1046275747_biggthumpup:

Robin

I am sorry to repeat this, but to Hoppah - if it's not much of a problem, can't you add more stuff to the freeplay? I mean, you play the misisons once or twice, then it gets boring.. maybe some extra stuff to Freeplay that makes it more fun to play as we all mostly play that, also a idea - when I played today, I noticed that the paramedics can't call for ambulance, maybe add that? (When you send that emergency car with 2 paramedics only)

Thanks, love this mod! Thanks again.

I am sorry to repeat this, but to Hoppah - if it's not much of a problem, can't you add more stuff to the freeplay? I mean, you play the misisons once or twice, then it gets boring.. maybe some extra stuff to Freeplay that makes it more fun to play as we all mostly play that, also a idea - when I played today, I noticed that the paramedics can't call for ambulance, maybe add that? (When you send that emergency car with 2 paramedics only)

Thanks, love this mod! Thanks again.

Thats true :) That would be a good idea. To make the paramedics able to call an ambulance to the scene. Even though, firefighters in us often are the ones first on a scene, and they call for the ambulance. One thing i really would like to see, was an EMT on board the firetrucks, that could almost act like an doctor, and could get into the ambulance if needed.. :)

Christmas greetings.

-Espen

Thats true :) That would be a good idea. To make the paramedics able to call an ambulance to the scene. Even though, firefighters in us often are the ones first on a scene, and they call for the ambulance. One thing i really would like to see, was an EMT on board the firetrucks, that could almost act like an doctor, and could get into the ambulance if needed.. :)

Christmas greetings.

-Espen

Depends where you live based on who responds. With volunteer agencies, they'd only respond an ambulance and the local pd to any emergencies that need an ambulance other than MVA's and Structure fires.

LOVE THE MOD PLAY IT ALL THE TIME JUST THINK IT WOULD BE COOL IF YOU COULD MAKE A 2ND FIRE STATION AND A B/C 2 SO THERE IS A PLACE FOR A 2ND LADDER, THE RESCUE AND THE HAZ/MAT... JUST AN IDEIA!

Welcome to the forums!

Hey man, don't take this the wrong way but please edit/remove your post. it has already been stated that hoppah will NOT add a second station, the coding element is just way too time consuming. Also, please do not type all caps. it portrays yelling, and is offensive to everyone. plus, it is against forum rules.

Thanks, and have fun!

Novius

i read the thing about the USCG units.

can't you just add the Federal Units Mod?

i think that would be awesome!

I think I read that adding the federal unit mod togeather with the LA mod will be possible. I assume they will be released but seeing as Voodo and Hoppah are such amazing modders I suspect they will have somthing in the works, even if they just write a tutorial on how to put the two mods togeather

LOVE THE MOD PLAY IT ALL THE TIME JUST THINK IT WOULD BE COOL IF YOU COULD MAKE A 2ND FIRE STATION AND A B/C 2 SO THERE IS A PLACE FOR A 2ND LADDER, THE RESCUE AND THE HAZ/MAT... JUST AN IDEIA!

Hoppah already said he isn't going to do that because it's too much work. All you guys gotta remember, He is doing this for free. so if you want a second fire station in freeplay, use your own time to create it and if you do it well enough, maybe Hoppah will look at it for evaluation and see if he wants to add it into his mod.

@ Mike: I remember that you said that a squad refers to any type of fire apperatus without a pump. Is that how it is out in LA? Because I know that here in the New York Metro area, many squads respond with pumpers, and the FDNY's squads(combination engine company, truck company, and HazMat first responders) respond with a Rescue Pumper as their first out piece of apperatus, and there other piece, a step van(with Hazmat equipment) usually only reponds if it's a Hazmat type call, or there is a danger of Hazardus Materials being present, ex: crash of an industrial tanker truck. Just wondering

Firefighter111

@ Mike: I remember that you said that a squad refers to any type of fire apperatus without a pump. Is that how it is out in LA? Because I know that here in the New York Metro area, many squads respond with pumpers, and the FDNY's squads(combination engine company, truck company, and HazMat first responders) respond with a Rescue Pumper as their first out piece of apperatus, and there other piece, a step van(with Hazmat equipment) usually only reponds if it's a Hazmat type call, or there is a danger of Hazardus Materials being present, ex: crash of an industrial tanker truck. Just wondering

Firefighter111

The term "Squad" has a rich history in the fire service as a "Catch All" term. With most apparatus having a very definitive definition and specific requirements that are laid out in the Incident Command System Field Operations Guide, the term Squad is used to describe any apparatus that doesn't fit so neatly into those parameters. In most areas this means that it is an apparatus that doesn't have a pump or an aerial ladder, but like most things in the US Fire Service, there are always exceptions to every rule! In the FDNY, their squads are just like you said. In 1998, the FDNY decided to change some of their Engine companies over to a specialized role. Purchasing specially built Seagrave Midship Rescue Pumpers that could function as a regular engine company on most calls, they were also equipped with special HAZMAT and Ladder/Rescue company tools! By staffing them with Men and women who had HAZMAT Tech qualificatons as well as Engine and Truck Company training, they created a specialized response unit that was a jack of all trades. Unfortunatly though, with every "all-in-one" solution, you have compromise. Because of the staffing and equipment carried, it was no longer a normal engine company therefore it got the catch all term "Squad."

For Los Angeles County Fire, the squads are small pickup trucks that are staffed by 2 paramedics and carry ACLS medical equipment and a few Heavy Squads carry extrication tools as well. For Los Angeles City Fire, the squads are large HAZMAT apparatus that are staffed with 4 personell with specialized HAZMAT training, yet also respond to Structure fires within 1 mile of their station.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Mission suggestion:

I loved your mission in EM3, that missing child. It was so amazing. So fun to search. Can't you do any more missing person missions? Perhaps they could be taken hostage, stuck somewhere, in fight with someone somewhere? In a building that catches fire suddenly? :D