Hoppah

[EM4] Los Angeles Mod by Hoppah

If he can't fix his computer, I vote we start a fund to ship over a few of the best computer technicians to fix his computer for him... No matter where they live, though it would be great if they lived down the road from him :)

nah, we fund getting him an Alienware :)

Sounds like its definitely a video card problem. (Side note: The video card snaps into the motherboard so therefore there is always the possibility of a motherboard fault, or CPU fault for that matter since Windows fails to load.) Best bet would be to replace the video card. Even if the video card fan is not working, if I am correct these are typically attached directly to the card, and replacing these would require a full card replacement. If you happen to have spare video cards, or know some1 that has some try replacing yours with these, even if they arent proper specs required for this game or modding, just to narrow the problem down.

Hope you figure it out and get it fixed. :onceldoc:

Yeah, I think based on what you have, where it will work in safe mode, which doesn't require much video card usage, but it won't run normal mode, that it is the video card... Best thing to do is try another video card. Doesn't have to be good, just enough to work with Vista.. and if it works, then we (you) found the problem! :) But you probably know this though... Just suggesting what I would do, look at what the problem is, and then just try replacing the most likely parts, and working my way down, until it worked again, hopefully never having to try the motherboard!

I have a temporary fix. I found out that my motherboard has an onboard videocard. So I decided to pull the possibly damaged videocard from my computer and to use this onboard one. That seems to work although that card has only 16 MB memory. At least I have access to my stuff again. Unfortunately I reinstalled Windows Vista, so I have to install a lot of software before I can begin modding again. I also found out that I still have warranty on my computer, but since I do not want to wait weeks before it's fixed I rather buy a new videocard myself next week. :)

Get a EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 55nm version. It's one of the best price/performance cards out there. EVGA has excellent costomer service also. I use a EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 superclocked (bought regular version and got the superclocked version in a regular box, go figure), and I couldn't be happier.

BTW the GTS 250 is a slightly better 9800 GTX+, but worth it IMO.

Well it depends on where you are getting it... In The Netherlands it may be more expensive or less than it is here

I know I was just saying if you get them for the same price like that, why not go for more performance.

Get a EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 55nm version. It's one of the best price/performance cards out there. EVGA has excellent costomer service also. I use a EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 superclocked (bought regular version and got the superclocked version in a regular box, go figure), and I couldn't be happier.

BTW the GTS 250 is a slightly better GTX 9800+, but worth it IMO.

Similar experience with me. I bought a 9800 GTX+ from TigerDirect and at the time the new version was just coming in stock. They sent me the new card instead of the old card. Its an EVGA 9800 GTX+ and it has served me well but I think I am gona get a better card here soon for the extra boost and leeway in the future.

I just ordered a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 Superclocked 1GB which should arrive next week (it wasn't on stock unfortunately). It was either that or a 9800 GTX. Anything newer/better isn't that usefull in combination with the processor in my computer. :)

If you overclock your CPU that should eliminate the bottleneck. Good choise though. EVGA has amazing customer support plus they have this nifty piece of software called Prescision which allows you to overclock the video card really easily. When you get the card, don't use the drivers on the CD as they're probably outdated. Just download the newest ones from Nvidia.

I can't wait for this videocard, because I can't even get Zmodeler 2 to work with this onboard videocard. :1046276372_bawling: What might also be a driver thing though.

Overclocking is something I don't really like to do. If it works it works. :)

I just ordered a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 Superclocked 1GB which should arrive next week (it wasn't on stock unfortunately). It was either that or a 9800 GTX. Anything newer/better isn't that usefull in combination with the processor in my computer. :)

Rawr, Monster card.