Hoppah

[EM4] Los Angeles Mod by Hoppah

but also, i think it also looks nice with the hose connections on the crosslays. on the la engine picture u showed me it looked like the wihite side had a 1 1/2 inch line on it. but yess most are on the side of the pumps. but to me, it just looks plain.

I was wondering about something if it i possibile to add in EM4.

May be the modllers could answer me those questions!

1: Is it possibile to add a following button to the police cars as the helicopters have, and may be as a result those cars are not leaving the scene.

2: I was wondering if it is possibile to let a police officer set up a row of cones so that civil cars go from 2 lanes to 1 or turn left/right.

If not is it possibile to add such a button for the direction lights on cars. (I always have problems with cars which trun around and stuck all the roads and then the emergency vehicles have to go

through there)

3: Is it possibile to creat a mission like super bowl (which is coming up know in the States) where you have like 10 min to get ready and then you have to solve lots of problems, like riot or small MI

and CVA. that would go like for 30 minutes or something like that and then you have to clean up (units back to base). something like that. what do you think?

great work hoppah keep it up....

Guest EggMcLovin

I believe what you are seeing on the back step is a type of gate connector attached to the 5" supply line. In my dept. we also have "Storkz" connections, which are a quick attach/quick release connector. on the rear of some engines i have seen in my department and in neighboring departments do have a 2.5" discharge for an attack line with step down caps for smaller lines. also, we have a "trash line" on the front of the engine, along with another 5" supply intake

btw, hoppah, i love the mod, and i cant wait to get the new release, thanks for putting so much time and effort into the mods

Guest firefighter304
1: Is it possibile to add a following button to the police cars as the helicopters have, and may be as a result those cars are not leaving the scene.

hoppah has answered that question several times in the topic, it is possible to add the command to the car but the mechanics of the game will cause it to glitch and mangle the cars together

2: I was wondering if it is possibile to let a police officer set up a row of cones so that civil cars go from 2 lanes to 1 or turn left/right.

If not is it possibile to add such a button for the direction lights on cars. (I always have problems with cars which trun around and stuck all the roads and then the emergency vehicles have to go through there)

i would imagine so, its a scripting issue, hoppah could explain it more to you, it would be similar as the scripting for the police officers command "redirect vehicles"

3: Is it possibile to creat a mission like super bowl (which is coming up know in the States) where you have like 10 min to get ready and then you have to solve lots of problems, like riot or small MI and CVA. that would go like for 30 minutes or something like that and then you have to clean up (units back to base). something like that. what do you think?

yeah thats possible, but hoppah has said a thousand times hes only making one new mission for the up coming v1.5 .... the problem with missions is the hours upon hours of work it requres, i wont speak for hoppah but he may consider it for v1.6

yes and no, on nearly any engine you look at there is ONE connection on the rear of the engine which is used for a 2 1/2 inch attack line, while the 2 - 4 hose lays in the middle of the engine are 1 3/4 inch attack lines

first part is right, 2nd part is kinda right....

like i said, there is a 2 1/2 inch attack line on the rear of engines, but there is also between 1500-2500 feet of 5 inch supply hose used to connect to hydrants and other trucks

wrong, the connection on the rear is a discharge, not an intake, if you hooked up a hydrant line to it you would blow up your pump

I actually believe this is wrong. The 5" on the back is not connected at all... once the engine has wrapped the hydrant (for a forward lay) the engineer will have to disconnect the length of hose closest to the truck, then attack it to an intake on the side. It's impossible to pump out of the back of the engine.

The valves you see attacked are used primarily to allow another engine to increase the pressure over a long distance. Since it's impossible for the engine to secure water from a hydrant, it's function cannot be modeled in the game. I haven't read the LAFD's SOG's, so I can't comment on when the value would be pumped through by a second engine, though I would assume it would be in rural situations, or areas where the fire is a long distance from the hydrant.

Well Hoppah. i don't know if you have this one on your plans.. but... Why not add a "call all personel back" when pushing the Back To Firestation button, and same to the police, and ambulance.. So for example. When you have two, three missions.. it would be a little more easy to gather up, and get back to base.. i come from playing the Winterberg Mod, and they have a genious way of doing this with their scripts. :)

Greets

I actually believe this is wrong. The 5" on the back is not connected at all... once the engine has wrapped the hydrant (for a forward lay) the engineer will have to disconnect the length of hose closest to the truck, then attack it to an intake on the side. It's impossible to pump out of the back of the engine.

The valves you see attacked are used primarily to allow another engine to increase the pressure over a long distance. Since it's impossible for the engine to secure water from a hydrant, it's function cannot be modeled in the game. I haven't read the LAFD's SOG's, so I can't comment on when the value would be pumped through by a second engine, though I would assume it would be in rural situations, or areas where the fire is a long distance from the hydrant.

What the fire dept usually does in the city i live in is they run the 5" supply line off the back off the engine to a hydrant that stays connected to the hydrant until they fire is out. Those lines pump water into a reservoir in the engine which supplies the lines off the truck which are usually 2 1/2" lines . The only connections i have seen on the front and back of the engines where i live are 5" supply lines which feed the reservior.

Let me say this, all fire apparatus are made different, it all depends on how they are spec'd out by the purchasing organization. My company's engines have intakes for large diameter hose in both the front and back, in addition to the ones on the sides at the pump panel. The intakes in the front and back of the truck are not normally used due to the extra piping it has to go through, which means the intake at the pump panel is the preferred hook up for the large diameter supply line. We also a 2 1/2" preconnect attack line off the rear of the truck, as well as a 3" supply line for various tasks. As far as preconnect attack lines above the pump panel, we have two 1 3/4" lines, one running off each side of the truck, as well as a 2" attack line.

Now, if you look at pictures of New York's apparatus, I believe they just have 2 1/2" supply lines and do not use LDH whatsoever, so it really depends how the departments spec out their equipment.

What the fire dept usually does in the city i live in is they run the 5" supply line off the back off the engine to a hydrant that stays connected to the hydrant until they fire is out. Those lines pump water into a reservoir in the engine which supplies the lines off the truck which are usually 2 1/2" lines . The only connections i have seen on the front and back of the engines where i live are 5" supply lines which feed the reservior.

Yes, I agree... but you will see that the 5" hose is not connected from the rear (you could drive until all of it falls off the back), it will be disconnected and attached to the side intake (or other intake) on the engine. It is not pre-connected so the driver does not destroy the pump if he drives too far. This is all irrelevant in this case, as it is not possible to emulate in-game.

http://www.tempebeach.com/fire/Policies%20...les/405.03C.pdf

Try reading that for a general idea.

Guest Hanover Firefighter
Let me say this, all fire apparatus are made different, it all depends on how they are spec'd out by the purchasing organization. My company's engines have intakes for large diameter hose in both the front and back, in addition to the ones on the sides at the pump panel. The intakes in the front and back of the truck are not normally used due to the extra piping it has to go through, which means the intake at the pump panel is the preferred hook up for the large diameter supply line. We also a 2 1/2" preconnect attack line off the rear of the truck, as well as a 3" supply line for various tasks. As far as preconnect attack lines above the pump panel, we have two 1 3/4" lines, one running off each side of the truck, as well as a 2" attack line.

Now, if you look at pictures of New York's apparatus, I believe they just have 2 1/2" supply lines and do not use LDH whatsoever, so it really depends how the departments spec out their equipment.

FDNY only use 3" supply which I believe are preconnected to the intake.

Guest firefighter304

:1046275947_director: no supply line is pre connected any where... this is why...

you lay a supply line at a hydrant and continue to drive to the scene, you run out of hose and guess what, youv just ruined your pump by pulling it out of your rear end... now, with that said drop it.. this topic is for hoppah's LA mod, not to argue of engines..

:1046276160_schildbacktotopic:

You can spec out an Engine for pumping out of the rear. On our new engine we have a 2-1/2'' hose lay on the rear that is a preconnect and there are 2 connections on the rear to discharge from. One is a 2-1/2'' and one is 4''. We also have a intake from the rear to fill the truck if need be. This truck was to be spec out as a pumper/tanker.

So there are some fire engines out there with this set up. But my dept is a small rural fire company not a big city fire company.

Guest Chaotic

I too am from a small company..... www.chvfd5.com..... We have 2 engines. One of our engines has an attack line on each side which are an inch and 3 quarters. It also has a 1 inch and 3 quarters line on the officer side of the rear and a 2 and a half inch on the driver side of the rear. In middle of the rear is suplly hose. Ours is 4". The purpose of this is when arriving on a fire scene the engine can layout and advance further up. This way if there is a lack of fire hydrants close to the scene or none at all, then additional engines can hook into there after having laid out fruther. It can form a long chain and the engines pump water thru eachother up to the scene. Many cases this is performed with tankers shuttling the water. Also, on ours we have other supply hose spots, one on each side and one on the front. Additional rolls of supply hose are carried and if you need to supply something close or draw water from somewhere close you can simply hook into it. Just trying to clear things up a little, sorry if i was too late lol. Go ahead and check out our website though.....

Guest Hanover Firefighter
:1046275947_director: no supply line is pre connected any where... this is why...

you lay a supply line at a hydrant and continue to drive to the scene, you run out of hose and guess what, youv just ruined your pump by pulling it out of your rear end... now, with that said drop it.. this topic is for hoppah's LA mod, not to argue of engines..

:1046276160_schildbacktotopic:

Well I have news for you. A lot of cities and townships (NYC, Philadelphia) have their supply line connected to the intake. As for the topic, I think that the hose connections are good.

I've finally found out how to make entirely new animations on vehicles.

I knew that Chidea (from the German forum) has made new animations too, I just didn't know how.

After studying some model files with animations I found out how it was done.

By using Zmodeler2, Notepad, Excel and Word I am able to animate objects now.

Basicly, it is possible to make objects move, rotate or change shape, although creating new helicopter rotors would require a lot of time.

I am not going to make a tutorial about this yet. I first want to finish v1.5 of the mod.

The aerial ladder already has working supports like the original DLK, but I've planned to remodel the basket and ladder parts so I haven't made any pictures of the aerial ladder yet.

I've also changed the USAR Squad, HAZMAT Squad and Mass Casualty Unit for v1.5.

Those three vehicles have an animated floodlight on the roof. Screenshot:

firetrucksqp2.th.jpg

And a small video of how the new floodlight works ingame.

I used camerahacks to get those angles.

You can also see the flashing lights of the CHP Dodge Charger in the video.

Direct link to video: lamod_floodlight.avi

Format: .avi

Size: 430kb

Hoppah

Sorry for the delay everyone, It's been hectic here in the south land again with the recent rains and all. During those times, I just check the board via my cell which isn't very conducive to long posts. As everyone knows, Southern California has 4 seasons just like the rest of the world. The only difference is that ours are named Earthquake, Brush Fire, Mud Slides, and Riots! As a member of the press once said, Here in Los Angeles, we are truly the Masters of Disasters!

Some points raised in the thread that I'd like to comment on:

The white over red ambulance is the older style as Hoppah said. No chevrons or anything will be added to the current fleet, just the new purchases. If my memory serves me right, LAFD is getting 10 new ALF Tillers with Whelen Liberty LED lightbars (like the pics of Truck 9 I took at the Canyon Fire), 13 new Pierce and 13 new Seagraves, plus an order of over 10 new engines to be spec'd out for delivery in the coming years. The Los Angeles City Fire Department is benefitting greatly from some recent bond measures that have allowed them to grow along with the needs of its citizens. New stations, new apparatus, and most importantly, new personnel. For all the excitement we have over the equipment, the truth is that none of it could be accomplished without the brave Men and Women who are on the apparatus!

As for the lights. I have to admit, I never really noticed the lights before in either real life or in the game. They're red and yellow and they blink is about as far as I go! The only thing that I would love to see added would be the addition of steady burn red lights on all Emergency apparatus.

The LAPD lightbars have a single red and blue front facing steady burn light in the lower level of the Code 3 MX7000s, and the same in the single level of the Federal Signal Arjents.

The LAPD slicktops have just 1 steady burn next to rear view mirror and flashing headlights.

The LAPD Kawasaki motor units have a steady burn red light on the right side as in this picture (also note how the Officer sits upright not leaned over sportbike style.)

And the new harley's the LAPD have seem to have a different set up every time I see one!

The LASO follows the same pattern with their Code 3 MX7000's, and the CHP have a mix of 2 setups on their Federal Signal Vision bars. Either the #1 (center) pod is Steady burn red or the two Outer ones are.

The LAFD engines have a mix of 2 steady burn in the lightbar, or two on the front face of the engine on each side of the grille. LAFD Ambulances have a mix of front steady in the grille or front steady in the lightbar similar to the Engines. There is no real rhyme or reason, just whatever was spec'd for that model. The SUVs are almost always in bar, same with Crown Vics.

Also, speaking of lights, Ambulances do not have flashing white lights to sides or rear due to safety considerations. All white lights are scene/flood lights.

A quick question for you Hoppah, As you can see from various pics and videos on the net, for safety reasons many times a crown vic will be parked or responding with just it's flashers and Steady Burns on. Is there any way to modify the flashing/warning light script to incorportate that feature? It'd be just for looks and totally useless as far as game play goes, but it's one of those nice touches that when you see it in real life, and in game, makes a ton of difference and gives it that unique LA/California flair.

In regards to LAFD's pump and hose setup, the LAFD runs numerous different makes and models of apparatus, each with a different setup. To see how each one is layed out, I recommend viewing this website. They have the log books, with details about each Engine that is in or has recently been in service with the LAFD.

In regards to the "thing on the back" that has caused such consternation and commentary in this thread. The LAFD has on the back of all of it's Fire Engines a Large Diameter Akron 4 way valve. To quote from their training manual "The large diameter 4-way hydrant valve (LDHV) permits the first-in engine to lay a large diameter supply line directly from the hydrant to the fire and start pumping water. Later if more pressure is required a second engine can connect to the hydrant valve and augment the pressure without interrupting the flow." The valve itself is not connected to the apparatus. LACoFD got rid of their 4 ways and now uses Hydra Assist which is similar.

As for hose layout, I can honestly say I can not remember ever seeing any LAFD hoses connected to the rear. They're almost always coming off the sides, but feel free to check the log books. 99% of the fires we deal with can be handled with the cross lays.

Also, no the LAFD does not run any CAFS engines. They have a 30 gallon tank (usually) of Class A foam on each Type 1 Engine. LACoFD has recently recieved a few CAFS engines that are designated by a black top cab. (They looks a lot like Chicago FD rigs)

As for the Hazmat and USAR pics, it might be a bit. We're going through about a week of some nasty rain hitting the south land which means I'm a bit swamped in more ways then one! I'll do my best to get them shortly though, if not in time for 1.5 then definetly for 1.6. I wont be able to get any of the older style USAR rig though. I'll ask around and see if anyone else has any of it. The new light tower looks great, and glad you figured out a way around the animations issue! That should open up some great new avenues for the game.

Also looking around I came across this vid of an LACo Coroners van. You can see how it has the amber lights. The ones on my webpage with red lights are for mass casualty incidents only.

That site has a lot of good videos on it that might be of interest to everyone on this site. If nothing else, it might give you a better idea of the way the lights are on various apparatus more then a still picture can.

Mike

Here's a question/request for the LAFD trucks in the mod.

When they are returning to the station, they force all cars to stop and they pass them like they do if their lights and sirens are on. Can you make them behave like the police vehicles do when they are patrolling and stop at traffic lights and follow traffic flow?

Thanks for the information Mike. :)

I'll keep this in mind for v1.6.

Changing the lights of dozens of vehicles will take alot of time and I want to release v1.5 as soon possible.

A quick question for you Hoppah, As you can see from various pics and videos on the net, for safety reasons many times a crown vic will be parked or responding with just it's flashers and Steady Burns on. Is there any way to modify the flashing/warning light script to incorportate that feature? It'd be just for looks and totally useless as far as game play goes, but it's one of those nice touches that when you see it in real life, and in game, makes a ton of difference and gives it that unique LA/California flair.

Nice idea. So far I know it's not possible to change the light pattern. There are a few light types (bluelights, special lights, headlights, brakelights and left/right blinkers), but they are all have their purpose.

Although I've seen a command on the Emergency Wikipedia Page which should make it possible to activate or deactive one or more lights.

I mean this command:

void SetLightEnabled(int id_, bool enable_);

I have never seen this command being used (in other mods) yet, so I still need to test this.

@ Madman:

It's possible to change the 'behaviour' of vehicles, but as soon Squad vehicles have changed to Civilian you can't reverse it (well, not in an easy way), because civilian vehicles are not commandable.

Hoppah