Dyson

[Released] Manhattan Modification Standard Definition Project

No FD station on the top right side of the map? Sucks having to call an engine/truck from so far away to a fire up there. I've also had the patrol issues with PD cars and ambulances that other people have. Also traffic issues, the traffic lights go green-yellow-red so quick that cars don't have a chance to make it through some of them, some of them no issue though.

So turns out I was unzipping the mod wrong but I fixed it and I played a little before work! Great mod dyson! I love how you took time out of your day to make a separate mod for our computers that are a little "held back" LOL! But anyway so suggestions for the next patch could be smoke hurts firefighters and emts and such like in the ERS mod so they have to wear SCBA's with a limited air time...you could also put fog of war around the incident site so you don't know what you're getting into like in real life until you get on scene. Didn't play long so I don't know if there is false fire alarms so you could add those if they're not in there! Sucks that limited water can't be put in the mod I really like the feature! Just some suggestion! Keep up the good work!

Personally, I'm not convinced that the map is the root of performance and crash issues. I think it mostly comes from the extreme resources devoted to vehicle models and textures (and probably the complex lighting to some degree). The vehicle model folder is almost the same size as the rest of the model folders put together.

I know accuracy and quality is important to the team, but gameplay and stability is more important to an end-user. I know Hoppah at one point made a suggestion on how to cut down on the size of either models or textures; there has to be some compromise that can be made.

Nope it's the map ;) we have another SD version out that intel users can play, its essentially the same minus the big map

I kinda have to agree with Hereweard Fyning here. While I'm sure the mod runs better for Intel players because of the map, but that doesn't mean ALL performance issues were or still are caused by the map alone.

I do believe that the main performance issues are also caused by the model and textures sizes (vehicles and buildings mostly), as well as the insane amount of lights used on vehicles. Therefore, the advice that I gave a couple of months ago still stands: spend more time on downsizing models and textures (instead of adding new stuff that'll only make the mod even more unstable) and the mod should run much better. 

The highly detailed models are the direct reason why it takes so long to load the mod (not the map, just the mod itself) compared to other mods. Upon loading a mod, the game precaches ALL playable units (see logfile) which means it loads all the prototype files and the corresponding models and textures.

Same thing why it takes so long to load the map, because the game loads ALL objects that are present on the map and precaches the prototypes, models and textures too. Simply check out the logfile if you don't believe me.

Conclusion: most, if not all performance related issues and crashes could've been resolved if v3.0 was released a week later. Emergency 4 does not run on an engine that is set up for highly detailed models and big textures and Manhatty Mody is the best example which proofs that. It's up to the team what to do with my advice and if you're willing to make concessions to people with lower end computers. I think the SD version shouldn't be necessary at all and it kinda feels like I do not get the whole package if my pc would only run this SD version. A mod that runs smooth for most players will definately be more appealing, more popular and would create a whole lot more goodwill.

Hoppah

I kinda have to agree with Hereweard Fyning here. While I'm sure the mod runs better for Intel players because of the map, but that doesn't mean ALL performance issues were or still are caused by the map alone.

I do believe that the main performance issues are also caused by the model and textures sizes (vehicles and buildings mostly), as well as the insane amount of lights used on vehicles. Therefore, the advice that I gave a couple of months ago still stands: spend more time on downsizing models and textures (instead of adding new stuff that'll only make the mod even more unstable) and the mod should run much better.

The highly detailed models are the direct reason why it takes so long to load the mod (not the map, just the mod itself) compared to other mods. Upon loading a mod, the game precaches ALL playable units (see logfile) which means it loads all the prototype files and the corresponding models and textures.

Same thing why it takes so long to load the map, because the game loads ALL objects that are present on the map and precaches the prototypes, models and textures too. Simply check out the logfile if you don't believe me.

Conclusion: most, if not all performance related issues and crashes could've been resolved if v3.0 was released a week later. Emergency 4 does not run on an engine that is set up for highly detailed models and big textures and Manhatty Mody is the best example which proofs that. It's up to the team what to do with my advice and if you're willing to make concessions to people with lower end computers. I think the SD version shouldn't be necessary at all and it kinda feels like I do not get the whole package if my pc would only run this SD version. A mod that runs smooth for most players will definately be more appealing, more popular and would create a whole lot more goodwill.

Hoppah

We will take this in consideration for The Red Watch modification as our models and lights are far more detailed and high quality than this modification, so there is possibility that we might also encounter the same issues the manhattan mod has...but hopefully that won't be the case. But we definitely do have some concerns when it comes to the game performances.

I understand what you're both saying, but the fact is, if you remove the map like we've done the mod works for intel users, delete all the vehicles and still crashed for them. 

But yeah I've wanted to reduce the size for some time, I think the main issues are the details, image size and UV mapping. With the mapping using around 6 or 7 different textures unnecessarily rather than one or two this quickly adds up. I'm hoping to address these issues in future patches.

Performance issues are due to people having onboard/integrated graphics cards. Those cards are actually a portion of the processor devoted to processing graphics, this significantly reduces the amount of processing power avaliable. These processors are made for the everyday computer user (using facebook, checking emails, browsing youtube,etc.) and not high definition gaming.  The reason you thing the processor is the big issue is that AMD's integrated graphics use a AMD Radeon integrated card which draws power from the processor and Intel has their own type called Intel HD Graphics (NAME IS MISLEADING, can in no way run HD graphics.).  Laptops and most moderately priced desktops have integrated graphics. What people need to play this game and this mod is a dedicated graphics card which is basically a second processor that processes graphics.  Only higher end desktops and very high end laptops come with these installed. To upgrade the computer its as simple as getting a graphics card upgrade to their computer from their local computer shop. I dont recommend you making a SD version because people with lower end systems will still experience crashes and FPS lag due to their systems not being up to par. 

Performance issues are due to people having onboard/integrated graphics cards. Those cards are actually a portion of the processor devoted to processing graphics, this significantly reduces the amount of processing power avaliable. These processors are made for the everyday computer user (using facebook, checking emails, browsing youtube,etc.) and not high definition gaming.  The reason you thing the processor is the big issue is that AMD's integrated graphics use a AMD Radeon integrated card which draws power from the processor and Intel has their own type called Intel HD Graphics (NAME IS MISLEADING, can in no way run HD graphics.).  Laptops and most moderately priced desktops have integrated graphics. What people need to play this game and this mod is a dedicated graphics card which is basically a second processor that processes graphics.  Only higher end desktops and very high end laptops come with these installed. To upgrade the comuter its as simple as getting a graphics card upgrade to their computer from their local computer shop. I dont recommend you making a SD version because people with lower end systems will still experience crashes and FPS lag due to their systems not being up to par. 

expect I seen performance issue on my system.  I have none of the above.  I have 2GB of dedicated video ram.  The game and the mod are install on SSD drive.   Yet this mod takes longer to load then any other mod.  include winterberg.  

Until i turn all the EM4 graphics setting to load.  I would crash to desktop with in 5 minutes.   Now i cna play for a bit as long as I do not enter a building.   I be trying the SD version today.   

Hey guys, if I may note for those of you who don't want as many, or any pd calls, etc... can just edit the freeplay xml files and lower the frequency of that particular call

Edit: Here's a short list of the things I found:

-Some models are altogether missing, others are lacking wheels and such.

-The crane needs at least one operator added to it, otherwise u can't move it

-You can't purchase any more new vehicles (I.E. You can't have 11 Standard NYPD CVPI's)

-When using the Turnout On/Off, it typically only works with half of the crew

-Vehicle placement at the stations is buggy, whereas your guys can't exit the trucks at times

-(This one most likely was just that round, but) When I played I always had a ratio of 8 NYPD Calls to every 2 FDNY/EMS Calls, and those two FDNY calls were either medical runs or mva's

-(Minor)The boots at 54/4/9 House cause the firefighters to change into SCBA

-(Minor)The noise for when Battalion 9 has someone enter/exit is similar to firefighters suiting up into SCBA

I recall there being other things I noted, but alas I don't remember at this time

expect I seen performance issue on my system.  I have none of the above.  I have 2GB of dedicated video ram.  The game and the mod are install on SSD drive.   Yet this mod takes longer to load then any other mod.  include winterberg.  

Until i turn all the EM4 graphics setting to load.  I would crash to desktop with in 5 minutes.   Now i cna play for a bit as long as I do not enter a building.   I be trying the SD version today.   

Can you send me your emergency 4 log file, its found in the directory?

I'm not sure what your plans are for the future of this version are, but I got a potential idea. Did you guys think about using a smaller map size,maybe 1/2 to a quarter size of the current map and just include one, maybe two stations on the map for the standard version? I'm not 100%, but it should allow more computer to play it while still giving a NYC feel, plus it would make it more of a in depth game since you have fewer units to manage. Just an idea, I know it would more than likely take a lot of work.

I'm not sure what your plans are for the future of this version are, but I got a potential idea. Did you guys think about using a smaller map size,maybe 1/2 to a quarter size of the current map and just include one, maybe two stations on the map for the standard version? I'm not 100%, but it should allow more computer to play it while still giving a NYC feel, plus it would make it more of a in depth game since you have fewer units to manage. Just an idea, I know it would more than likely take a lot of work.

That's not a bad idea.

why? the link provided works fine.

For some reason I can't download the software to download the game. By the way it looks epic and can't wait to play. (I have a 4shared account and I can download off the fourm)