Newfoundking

Haitian Earthquake

Everyone not in poverty is responsible for not helping Haiti or any other poor country out of poverty if you want to start pointing fingers, but we aren't here for that... Don't derail this topic please, think of the dying and dead from the quake, not the poverty and who is responsible for it.

Still no news on Coates yet. I was talking to my cousin today, he just went over with the Canadian Air Force, he says its horrid over there, and it just one big mess.

Everyone not in poverty is responsible for not helping Haiti or any other poor country out of poverty

And who would that be lol? Recession much? World should just force companies like EA Games, Microsh*t, InBev, etc. to just donate money and crap to everything.

And who would that be lol? Recession much? World should just force companies like EA Games, Microsh*t, InBev, etc. to just donate money and crap to everything.

Bill Gates full time job is giving away money. The recession dosent just stop every thing you know, right? Everybody still lives there life and so on.

Edit: A pregnant women trapped for 70 hours was found in a collapsed building alive and is doing good.

im sorry, but that pisses me off... other countries send our people down to help them and try save survivors and there are people who try to kill them... I dont get. :angry:

Well look at it from there stand point, there alive and healthy, to some extent atleast, so to them its survival of the fittest. Im not saying its right by any means.

No,it's mostly the USAs' fault they are so poor.

Sorry were not China. :rolleyes:

And who would that be lol? Recession much? World should just force companies like EA Games, Micro****, InBev, etc. to just donate money and crap to everything.

Micro****?Yet you use there OS I bet.

Wait,didn't Bill gates make microsoft?

And?

loser.gif Yes. You should learn more U.S. history. Might cure your annoying habit lol.

QFT. No one give a **** about china!

You still didn't explain that.

Becouse they can't..

You can't blame a country of making an other country poor.. If you can .. than every country is guilty, even they're own country.

Actually my dad told me (Who worked for the UN in the Dutch USAR team) that they are better of in a earthquake totally poor than a bit poor.

The most people lived in wooden shelters etc. but I rather have some wood falling down on my head than concrete or stone (like 'normal' houses).

He went to the earthquake in Turkey a long time ago and there they were poor but all lived in concrete buildings. They are more difficould to save them becouse

a person can't lift a lot and they had more serius wounds. Wooden structures doesn't give suchs serius wounds (I DON'T SAY THEY CAN'T BUT MORE CHANCE OF IT) and you can get the debris quicker away.

The thing that is going to kill the most of people are the bad roads. You can sent a lot of USAR teams there but if you can't make it far you won't save that much people. Also they can't bring supplies.

That's all I wanted to say.. Every country is helping as they can and you can't blame a country of this

I was Activated, but not mobilized as a part of Texas Task Force 1 made up of over 300 personnel and around 12,000 pieces of equipment costing around 5 million dollars. Reason being due to transportation issues in and around Hati. Most of the USAR teams in Haiti, got training from the same location as me, which is the 52 acre traning facility in collage station run by TEEX called Disaster City. From my traning there I can say, that people all over the world should be proud of there rescue teams, and even though everyone is not able to be saved, I know that these guys will not give up on the people of Hati, and that is somthing everyone should be proud of.

No,it's mostly the USAs' fault they are so poor.
Was Haiti an American colony? I don't think so. Besides, why are you dissing your own country? We didn't do anything to make them poor. Although we've largely avoided them, that can be said about most countries. The world can't rely on the U.S. alone; they have to make their own 'way' through life. Can't see as to why they're even thinking on relying on us, since we always seem to enter into pointless and/or unwinnable fights/situations.
Economy

Main article: Economy of Haiti

Bas-Ravine, in the northern part of Cap-Haitien

By most economic measures, Haiti is the poorest country in the Americas. It had a nominal GDP of 7.018 billion USD in 2009, with a GDP per capita of 790 USD, about $2 per person per day.[57]

It is an impoverished country, one of the world's poorest and least developed. Comparative social and economic indicators show Haiti falling behind other low-income developing countries (particularly in the hemisphere) since the 1980s. Haiti now ranks 149th of 182 countries in the United Nations Human Development Index (2006). About 80% of the population were estimated to be living in poverty in 2003.[58] Most Haitians live on $2 or less per day. [59] Haiti has 50% illiteracy,[60] and over 80% of college graduates from Haiti have emigrated, mostly to the United States.[61] Cité Soleil is considered one of the worst slums in the Americas,[62] most of its 500,000 residents live in extreme poverty.[43] Poverty has forced at least 225,000 children in Haiti's cities into slavery, working as unpaid household servants.[63]

About 66% of all Haitians work in the agricultural sector, which consists mainly of small-scale subsistence farming,[64] but this activity makes up only 30% of the GDP. The country has experienced little formal job-creation over the past decade, although the informal economy is growing. Mangoes and coffee are two of Haiti's most important exports.[64] Haiti's richest 1% own nearly half the country's wealth.[65] Haiti has consistently ranked among the most corrupt countries in the world on the Corruption Perceptions Index.[66] Since the day of "Papa Doc" Duvalier, Haiti's government has been notorious for its corruption. Haitian dictator "Baby Doc" Duvalier, his wife Michelle, and three other people are believed to have taken $504 million from the Haitian public treasury between 1971 and 1986.[67]

Foreign aid makes up approximately 30–40% of the national government's budget. The largest donor is the United States – followed by Canada, and the European Union also contributes aid.[68] From 1990 to 2003, Haiti received more than $4 billion in aid. The United States alone had provided Haiti with 1.5 billion in aid. [69] Venezuela and Cuba also make various contributions to Haiti's economy, especially after alliances were renewed in 2006 and 2007. In January 2010, China promised $4.2 million for the quake-hit island,[70] and President Obama pledged $100 million in US assistance.[71] European Union nations promised more than 400 million euros ($616 million) in emergency aid and reconstruction funds for Haiti.[72]

U.S. aid to the Haitian government was completely cut off in 2001–2004 after the 2000 election was disputed and President Aristide was accused of various misdeeds.[73] After Aristide's departure in 2004, aid was restored, and the Brazilian army led the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti peacekeeping operation. Following almost 4 years of recession ending in 2004, the economy grew by 1.5% in 2005.[74]

In 2005 Haiti's total external debt reached an estimated US$1.3 billion, which corresponds to a debt per capita of US$169. In September 2009, Haiti met the conditions set out by the IMF and World Bank's Heavily Indebted Poor Countries program to qualify for cancellation of its external debt.

NY Times Source

Boston.com Source

Wiki source

Wiki source 2

I think i rest my case :)

im sorry, but that pisses me off... other countries send our people down to help them and try save survivors and there are people who try to kill them... I dont get. :angry:

That's exactly why I want my 10 millions back boooooooh country leaders... boooooohhh!

Are we going to start a flame war again? Hoppah no ban button abuse... i know where you are :D

You know whats funny... our gov is getting us money-less... every cent they can get will be in their pocket and each fucking year billions go to the outside of the country. How about fixing the issues in here before throwing the money out like they would have enough. Not talking about the Haiti case, this was general

That answers the question, but doesn't explain why 917893678251 actually said that. Trolls should be banned from this forum, so I'm still waiting for his reply.

Fair enough, i just made my point on proving him wrong.

No body is to blame but the country it self.

Since it's independence in the 1900's things have gotten from bad to worse.

Under French and Spanish rule the nation made great profits, and was like any other western world country, rich.

Becoming independent led to corruption.

Corruption was allowed to take it's coarse, an now almost 110years later we see the effect of that.

That's exactly why I want my 10 millions back boooooooh country leaders... boooooohhh!

Are we going to start a flame war again? Hoppah no ban button abuse... i know where you are :D

You know whats funny... our gov is getting us money-less... every cent they can get will be in their pocket and each fucking year billions go to the outside of the country. How about fixing the issues in here before throwing the money out like they would have enough. Not talking about the Haiti case, this was general

Shouldn't you be at the wilders trial? :loldev:

Wilders? No thank you

Fact is Netherlands is pumping millions to other country's while we are paying more and more and more and more. I am student and more then 60% of my salary goes to the country, just because I have two working places.

Sorry but in my eyes this is unfair... I am working like hell (Some weeks 80+ hours) to get my shit around at month's end and other people just get the money thrown after them. Sure natural disasters are bad and I am not really talking about the money flow to such situations but if those people shoot at our people then get our people out of there, take out money back and leave them alone...

(Was just to take my example...)

Wilders isn't just slang and racism,.....

He is also fighting for exactly the things you discripe.

Stop spending our tax money in ***shit programs, that will never pay off.

and fix our own country first(one of the small and few things i can agree with him)

Other then that, yes he is an ass.

And i do agree with you on international help.

It just raises the question with me,.....Why always the dutch and its population(i know other country's are also helping)

But 9 out of 10 disasters, where we can be of use, we are there(the first)after local rescue.

Spend literally millions, if not billions of donation money.

While our government sits back and take another big smoke from tax cigar. :smoke:

But this is going to far off topic.

if you want to replay please do so by pm or msn :happy:

It good to see so much help for Haiti,

Can't believe that they are still finding survivors after the big shock and aftershock.

What I don't get is that why poor people have children. I mean, that's just going to make them poorer and doesn't help the problem in the slightest. Why would you even want a child to have to live like that?

Making kids is human nature. Whether you have money or not. Most of these people never heard or do not know the purpose of birth control measures anyway. For them it's normal to have unsafe sex, while most of the western world countries think otherwise, because they don't know as much about STD's as we do. And who are we to say they can't have children because they aren't as wealthy as most of us are? I agree it's not smart to get kids under these worse conditions though. :)