Dyson

Opinions on the Community

Hey to anyone that's reading this,

I just thought I'd share my opinion and the opinion I seem to get from a growing number of people that use these forums now. It seems people are becoming far more intolerable and just cynical in their criticisms of other modders works.

Now this isn't just an opinion based on my experiences with the Manhattan Mod, but the way people seem to be speaking to each other, for example a guy posts a skin, back in the day people would have been (as they were with me with my very fist crappy skins) 'looks good keep it up', but it seems more appropriate to now instantly shoot down these efforts, or any mod that pops up.

I also really dislike the way modding teams appear so at each other's throats, we had a run in with the Brooklyn Mod, receiving heavy criticism just because we are modding two areas that are 'close'. I mean seriously what's that about? But I've seen it across the forums, rival teams giving little digs at each other. I'm proud to say I support pretty much every mod that comes about, regardless of location, the RCMP mod, London Mod, NYC Mod etc. I think people should just learn to get on better, out of the very few people that play em4, then the fewer that mod it, do we really as a community want to be negative to each other, or to projects that aren't what you want?

Anyway that's my opinion and an opinion I discussed with Rafael which is a explanation I guess as to why personally i can't deal with the people on this forum anymore, from a modding development perspective. But yeah don't get me wrong I've made so many new friends on this forum and continue to work on things for them/with them/play them with them. So yeah there's my whole issue with the current aura on this forum, I hope if just one or two people actually read this it might make them think twice when they see someone slating someone's work, or prevent them from doing so themselves.

Dyson

x

I completely agree with you, I've been on here a while, I can't mod. I'm generally appreciative of anyone who's willing to put in the time and effort to do whatever they like with the units, be it the most basic skin to put your town name on an LA Mod Engine. In recent years people have become more critical, the LA Mod and Winterberg mod set the bar so high that people that don't understand think that's the norm and that every mod should replicate it, if you don't have a thousand new scripts and eye candy and useless units then its not a mod. Wrong. Things like the Winterberg mod, the LA Mod, ERS Berlin and I will credit you, the Manhattan Mod are ground breaking. They all tried to do something none of the other mods could, they are the exception. And they're brilliant. (Even if my computer can't quite run them :D ) But that doesn't mean anyobody else's work is worthless, as long as it gives them satisfaction, everbody has to start somewhere. As for mods in the same area, how many NY based mods do you think have been started? Loads, how many finished, only yours and MikeyPIs so far. Treading on other people's toes is not a problem, hundreds of people would love to do/see a NY mod, but you finished yours, that's what matters.

Another problem that has arisen is the internet culture of trolling. Which in my mind, is just being a d*ck, and any incidents of it should be enforced with a ban, in a tight knit community you can't have people taking the p*ss, its not fair.

I appreciate all you've done for the community Dyson, you've kept taking things further and you have put up with a lot of crap, and I'm sorry about that. Main reasons: People are jealous, people are selfish and people are impatient. And you can't change that I'm afraid. But there are people who support you, even those that don't make a song and dance about supporting you, like me :)

The OC-D

I completely agree with you, I've been on here a while, I can't mod. I'm generally appreciative of anyone who's willing to put in the time and effort to do whatever they like with the units, be it the most basic skin to put your town name on an LA Mod Engine. In recent years people have become more critical, the LA Mod and Winterberg mod set the bar so high that people that don't understand think that's the norm and that every mod should replicate it, if you don't have a thousand new scripts and eye candy and useless units then its not a mod. Wrong. Things like the Winterberg mod, the LA Mod, ERS Berlin and I will credit you, the Manhattan Mod are ground breaking. They all tried to do something none of the other mods could, they are the exception. And they're brilliant. (Even if my computer can't quite run them :D ) But that doesn't mean anyobody else's work is worthless, as long as it gives them satisfaction, everbody has to start somewhere. As for mods in the same area, how many NY based mods do you think have been started? Loads, how many finished, only yours and MikeyPIs so far. Treading on other people's toes is not a problem, hundreds of people would love to do/see a NY mod, but you finished yours, that's what matters.

Another problem that has arisen is the internet culture of trolling. Which in my mind, is just being a d*ck, and any incidents of it should be enforced with a ban, in a tight knit community you can't have people taking the p*ss, its not fair.

I appreciate all you've done for the community Dyson, you've kept taking things further and you have put up with a lot of crap, and I'm sorry about that. Main reasons: People are jealous, people are selfish and people are impatient. And you can't change that I'm afraid. But there are people who support you, even those that don't make a song and dance about supporting you, like me :)

The OC-D

Amen man, real good points, I hope people like yourself will read this and hopefully we can change people's mindsets :)

x

My opinion: Whole modding doesnt matter what website, are all doing a competition like who is the best, who can make the newest models who can do even better who is better at scripts and stuff like that. I really hate that. If i m having a good idea and released my idea or model other people/modellers are doing the same to look if they can beat the other guy to become even bigger and more famous, i support all mods like dyson does, no one is bad and no mod is the best. Its all the same to me. I m just modding for fun not to be the best. Ofcourse i like to make good models but they arent always good. But to me this community is one big war who is the best, and of all mods there are topics made for are only 8 or 9 mods released. I like to let other modders know this isnt a competition its just modding for fun.

its something thats beginning to appear alot more its a shame really all these really good ideas mods submods being locked or been giving up and it all comes down to someone frankly just taking the p**s because someone isnt the best at something

In reality, as a modder, look at positive comments. In the long run should you care about a group of 15 y/o whinning?

It has changed no doubt in the years Ive been here. Senior members come and go as new people come in and it changes. The site staff used to be involved in everything, people were respectful, etc.

Both sides have fed it though. Modders hype up thier mods and people get super excited. People get pissed when something goes wrong. Most don't understand the effort modders put in. You just have to understand that and put no lived children behind you.

I completely agree that people have set the bar to high. Those big mods (though they are amazing) took lots of time and skill from multiple people. We should stop the criticism because unless you like Emergency 2012 ( I don't), most of us will be playing Em4/911 so we should be thankful for any attempts to mod because it keeps this community alive. I recently started some attempts to mod and it really does take work and time for something that might come out less than perfect but it is these attempts that keep this game and community alive and fun. Keep up the great work all modders of the Emergency community and hopefully and can present my work here at some point.

YAIXj.gif

This a bold, brave move, Dyson. Thank you for raising the flag. I can understand where you are coming from. Working on a modification for a extended period of time, but to be met with a idiotic fan base who wants the product finished as soon as possible with a lack of respect. There is no motiviation behind that. I respect your resigination.

Needless to say, the greatest atrocity of this community is the competition among other modifications. It's no longer about having fun, or sharing your expierences with others. Now it's all about getting the throne of " I have the biggest c*nt of all."

Some of us here have respectable standards, while others have crossed the line by massaging their egos and bully others. What's next? corporation sponsors? If this immaturity continues i'm going AWOL to join Dyson.

Needless to say, the greatest atrocity of this community is the competition among other modifications. It's no longer all about having fun, or sharing your expierences with others. Now it's all about getting the throne of Hoppah. What's next? corporation sponsors?

I agree that was what annoyed me more than anything, the fact that (luckily none of our 2 mods ofc haha) modding teams giving each other grief, and not in just the straight forward way, but when people are sly about it, I know for a fact that a member of a modding team (you could consider rival) once created a second EMP account and gave us grief over both youtube and both his accounts, things like that are what kills any enjoyment in modding, I've seen it across countless mods too people 'trolling' their topics.

x

Dyson why don't you prove those who give you grief wrong, continue modding, and show them just how great of a mod it can be and to hell what they think.

I still mod but just don't have the drive to release anymore, kinda feels like you're working for vultures, regardless of whether it's a minority, just takes the enjoyment out of it, prefer it to be a hobby than a chore. I now work on private projects, my own time, own deadlines and I know how the mod works so play without any issues, I know any bugs I will have in the game so work around them and continue and know the spec of my PC and know it can handle whatever I make.

So in short there's your answer to 'sticking it to the haters' haha

x

Wishing you were part of the RCMP modification team...Theres no deadline, no rushing and full of supporters. I can only do nothing but shed some more teardrops. As i have said before, you are more than welcomed to be part of us and the expierence, the offer still stands ;)

Wishing you were part of the RCMP modification team...Theres no deadline, no rushing and full of supporters. I can only do nothing but shed some more teardrops.

Tis always nice to hear my work is valued :) one day maybe, just feel i can't work to my full potential currently with final exams and such, maybe later but I will take you up on that offer one day.

x

I also agree with alot of points brought up by you and all of the posters.I think it's great that people can represent their own cities and countries in a project.Not all people will be fans of a city you chose to represent but as long as their respectful it doesn't matter.

As in my case,first and foremost, I'm making this for my enjoyment.Anybody else that will enjoy it or benefit from it is a bonus.Those who hate it or can't appreciate the work and effort can go make love to themselves(nice way of saying it).

I wish there was more support and help when you reached a problem(most of us here are learning as we go),I can only ask and wait or search and hope that it's been discussed.There are some members on here who do help and make a difference,I have always helped as best I could whenever asked.

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Winston Churchill

Dyson,

I have had the desire or the time to attempt to mod. That being said I appreciate your efforts on what started as the NY Submod, then became the Manhattan Mod. I also appreciate Raf's efforts as well. To all the others who have taken the time to produce a mod for us who don't have the time or desire to do one ourselves, I say thanks so much. I don't spend much time commenting on this site for all the reasons that have been addressed in this topic. All of you have done great work. It's a pity that people can't be grateful. It's also sad that modding team can't work with other teams to improve each other's skills. That's just my two cents worth. Thanks again.

Well even though I was not part of the beta team, I was in the TS Server off & on during the weeks leading up to release and during that last week I was in there a ton. I even helped out for several hours during release getting the org file up on one of the fileshare web sites. Even though the org file didnt play, I didnt put him down, I was there helping any way I could, even though I could not mod. I wish more people would act like that instead of insulting peoples work. They need to learn to stfu until they can do better. I can agree with Dyson when he says there are some really rude and disrespectful people. I was lurking on these boards during the LA MOD release. So many people kept asking the same stupid questions over and over. Yes I saw that topic locked more then once. Now we have this mod and the same thing happens. People just do not learn.

Dyson... even though you do not see me on TS anymore (work schedule is playing a big role, and I dont see the "old" gang on anymore :-\ ) I still play your mod quite often on single player. The mod played good before without me adjusting anything. However after taking the advice of someone on the mod FB page, and setting the game process to high on task manager, the game runs great. I can play for hours without it crashing. Don't listen to the haters. You have a great mod. My only sad thing is I will never see a patched version. I am also watching that new project you are working on. I will once again be lurking while watching that. Good luck with the future projects.

YAIXj.gif

This a bold, brave move, Dyson. Thank you for raising the flag. I can understand where you are coming from. Working on a modification for a extended period of time, but to be met with a idiotic fan base who wants the product finished as soon as possible with a lack of respect. There is no motiviation behind that. I respect your resigination.

Needless to say, the greatest atrocity of this community is the competition among other modifications. It's no longer about having fun, or sharing your expierences with others. Now it's all about getting the throne of " I have the biggest c*nt of all."

Some of us here have respectable standards, while others have crossed the line by massaging their egos and bully others. What's next? corporation sponsors? If this immaturity continues i'm going AWOL to join Dyson.

I have no other words for this and especially for this : "Needless to say, the greatest atrocity of this community is the competition among other modifications. It's no longer about having fun, or sharing your expierences with others. Now it's all about getting the throne of " I have the biggest c*nt of all."

Some of us here have respectable standards, while others have crossed the line by massaging their egos and bully others. What's next? corporation sponsors? If this immaturity continues i'm going AWOL to join Dyson."

FYI wizzkid the 'old gang' is planning a reunion on TS in the near future, we've stopped publicly modding but there'll be one or two patches for the few people we play with on there, as we did for around 4 months with no issues, as any bugs could instantly be remedied and the players were understanding.

x

If you can't take negative criticism than why are you involved with public modding? The negative will always be louder and in more volume than the positive. That's my opinion. I don't think any modder should expect the community to kiss ass and appease them for what they promise or show off in screens myself. Nor should they stoop to an unprofessional level by getting into arguments or posting rants about the people who will be playing their products, take the criticism choose to embrace it or ignore it and move on, no need for any of this.

And to imagine the public wants releases as soon as possible, well that's just shocking! Who knew? In the end you shot your own foot by teasing too much way too soon, perhaps modders should reconsider when they announce their projects rather than making people wait years for a buggy release. Let the final product speak for itself.

We can wish things aren't the way they are, say they shouldn't be, claim people should have more respect and so on and so forth, but that won't change reality. This isn't something isolated to modding or emergency-planet in the least. And it won't be changing anytime soon.

[/end opinion]

If you can't take negative criticism than why are you involved with public modding? The negative will always be louder and in more volume than the positive. That's my opinion. I don't think any modder should expect the community to kiss ass and appease them for what they promise or show off in screens myself. Nor should they stoop to an unprofessional level by getting into arguments or posting rants about the people who will be playing their products, take the criticism choose to embrace it or ignore it and move on, no need for any of this.

And to imagine the public wants releases as soon as possible, well that's just shocking! Who knew? In the end you shot your own foot by teasing too much way too soon, perhaps modders should reconsider when they announce their projects rather than making people wait years for a buggy release. Let the final product speak for itself.

We can wish things aren't the way they are, say they shouldn't be, claim people should have more respect and so on and so forth, but that won't change reality. This isn't something isolated to modding or emergency-planet in the least. And it won't be changing anytime soon.

[/end opinion]

Well for one my point is above and beyond just 'negative posts' I'm on about people single handedly trying to just troll topics, for whatever reason, modding teams giving each other grief. Yes modders should be prepared to take criticism, but 90% of the criticism modders receive these days is just useless drivel trying to put someone hard work down.

And for what I'm guessing is aimed at our way of 'doing things', I do think that is quite irrelevant, but yes we tried to build some hype, if you work on a project for 2 years I think you're within your rights to get people a little excited. But yeah seem to be having the same generic conversation with just about everyone.

As for the public wanting 'imminent release', that's another major thing, back when I joined, the QRA mod and NY mod were in full flow, I, like many others, was very happy to just check the forum every now and again for updates, seeing it come together was part of the pleasure, now people have become less so and now expect the mod to appear overnight, I think this is mainly down to a lower maturity across the forums now and a changed mindset as to what a mod should be, rather than something you can observe then play, it's expected to be practically a new game EA could bring out next week...

As to the attitude, I know for a fact it has deteriorated over the time I've been on this forum as mentioned, so I'd much prefer to speak out, even if it's just to get the nod from othe modders such as CFD that they also feel the same way, rather than just turn to abandon public modding with no real explanation.

That's my reply to all of your statements.

x

I agree w/ dyson & OCD. The forums have become to cluttered with negativity. And on top of that, I think that there's to many positive bs posts around too. "good work" "in love" and stuff like that doesn't need to be around whenever an update is given. The only place I do that is in he skinning forums, because they are put there to be criticised and improved. Unless you think your post will help the modder, don't post it. That's why I have little to post these days, because I used to post like that until I realized that I was wasting their time and mine.

On ocd's ideas, I have multiple mods that none of you know about and they don't measure up to ny, manhattan, la, winterberg, Miami, or Sao Paulo. The only new command I put into any of my mods is flashinglights (thanks hoppah) and change stuff that is already there. American sirens, change models of em4 cars, and other stuff. I don't need more than one police car, one ambulance and one type of anything. So stop pressuring people to add more trucks to their mods when they, and you don't need them. So stop complaining that you don't have extra, and except that the game was designed to be a challenge, even with original em4 I think it got easier than em3; with any of those big mods it's a breeze through.

Sorry to rant, but I think these are important ideas to get across to the people of the forums.

PS: Thanks Stan for giving a space improve and mess up at the same time! :-)

I personally make an effort to give constructive criticism when I see a need for it. I don't go, great work! nor do I say, that's horrible! I say what I like, and what needs work for me to completely like it. That's a productive post imo, everything else is useless.

To those who only complain, show me your mod that doesn't have those flaws, and I will let you, otherwise shut up.

To those who don't say anything other than great work, I honestly hate posts like that. When I got them, I was like, okay, so they enjoy it, but it was the posts that pointed out small errors or made an intelligent comment that I actually enjoyed getting