Sgt Alex4028

St John Ambulance - Get to know other cadets etc, show off your kit!

fair enough Met, Goodluck if you join at a later date, and BARC, hope all is well, Got wedged in a bus shelter waiting for ambulance backup the other night, tight squeeze with me, The patient, the patients reluctant to give space family and all the kit. Was bloody freezing too.

I'm fine now, I didn't have any more after the Monday :)

What was wrong with the casualty? If your able to share? :P

And popped down the new pharmacy down the road last night with my nan, and they do an amazing deal where if you use their free prescription delivery service, you get free over the counter drugs if you ever need them for minor aliments, a free Accu-Check Aviva Blood Glucose testing kit (With lancets, test strips, etc) and a free Omron Upper Arm Automatic Blood Pressure monitor. FREEBIES :D

wow. Sounds painful and funny :P

Was an elderly patient that had a fall with previous medical conditions that gave high cause for concern regarding the circumstances of the situation (all i can say really)

End result was good though, and people are morons.

We had the police cordon off half the street for us, with barriers and a vehicle, Yet people still tried to cut through then got mouthy when they were told to go around... no respect these days

I would say welcome to England, but you have lived here all your life.

And I was in an IT Lesson the other day, and a friend began complaining of severe abdo pain, to the point it was so painful she couldn't even cry and talk, and one of the school's first aider came in and just kept trying to move her to "get some fresh air", I suggested that the first aider call an ambulance because she obviously couldn't move because of how much pain she was in, it could have been a ruptured lining in the stomach or maybe even worse. In my opinion I would have called an ambulance as that would be the common sense thing to do, what about you lot?

I think he put some on his finger to taste it, got distracted and forgot about it and then rubbed his eye :s (Stoke'y person, typical :P)

But all I can say was i was lying on my bed then all of a sudden someone screams like a 6 year old girl.

Yeah its dangerous to forget about where your tobasco sauce is, it might end up in your tea -.-

I've had someone scream like a girl before but he fell over in his sleeping bag and broke his arm.

regarding the abdo pain, first thing i'd do is clear the room, easier to treat.

then get history, happen before? what was she doing leading up to the incident?

Then ask a rather embarrassing question regarding period pain (Had casualties before with same symptoms)

determine where the pain is located/radiating from (to see if there's a possibility of an appendicitis)

I wouldn't attempt a diagnosis (as that isn't our job)

once i've got a history / have an idea of the possible problems, determine if the level of pain warrants an emergency ambulance or other method of transportation then take from there.

I would say welcome to England, but you have lived here all your life.

And I was in an IT Lesson the other day, and a friend began complaining of severe abdo pain, to the point it was so painful she couldn't even cry and talk, and one of the school's first aider came in and just kept trying to move her to "get some fresh air", I suggested that the first aider call an ambulance because she obviously couldn't move because of how much pain she was in, it could have been a ruptured lining in the stomach or maybe even worse. In my opinion I would have called an ambulance as that would be the common sense thing to do, what about you lot?

Not an SJA cadet, or even in England for that matter, but I am an American EMS cadet. I would've called for a bus and then gone through what Entonox did below.

regarding the abdo pain, first thing i'd do is clear the room, easier to treat.

then get history, happen before? what was she doing leading up to the incident?

Then ask a rather embarrassing question regarding period pain (Had casualties before with same symptoms)

determine where the pain is located/radiating from (to see if there's a possibility of an appendicitis)

I wouldn't attempt a diagnosis (as that isn't our job)

once i've got a history / have an idea of the possible problems, determine if the level of pain warrants an emergency ambulance or other method of transportation then take from there.

Along with asking about any kind of trauma and doing a primary assessment.

Fun fact, SJA has divisions in the united states, Just shows, We're everywhere.

It's all very basic tbh, and centered mostly around communication, one important key factor that people forget (My students in sja will never forget that now :P )

Can find out *ALOT* from just speaking to somebody. :)

So what's involved with being an American EMS Cadet?

Was being specific to an area, We're literally everywhere :) planning a trip for the cadets to the museum in London to learn more about our history, just expensive coach costs

And really? They don't do first aid :o

I'm with Aiken Rescue, Inc., a non-profit EMS agency located in Aiken County. aikenrescue.org

We're taught skills that would be taught in a classroom setting if we were in EMT-B school. Includes CPR/AED, basic assessment, and BLS skills. When we turn 17 we get EVOC, too. We're not first-aiders so much as unqualified EMT-Bs. The only official certification we have is a CPR/first aid certification. We're allowed to practice at the EMT-B level as long as we are operating on one of our ambulances as a third man. We are not allowed to be second man.

It's certainly interesting, from the how it feels perspective. We ride as the third man on a 911 ambulance in a relatively busy area. We average four calls in an 8-hour shift, even though that's nothing compared to other parts of the U.S.

Wow sounds really impressive :)

is EMT-B a basic tech or does the B stand for something else?

also, could you post how the crewing works?

I know here (In my region anyway) It's usually a Para and an Emergency Care Assistant (They removed the EMT role for a cheaper lower qualified role ECA)

or a Para / Emergency Care Practitioner (Advanced para) on a single response car, would be a real insight on how the US ems service work :)

EMT-Basic, yes.

OK, but first I have to explain how 911 works in my county. In my county, there are usually ten 911 ambulances operating. One ALS (which for us is a paramedic or an EMT-Intermediate) ambulance from my service, one ambulance from SouthStar EMS, a private service, one amulance from Capital City EMS, another private service, and seven from Aiken County EMS, the only non-private service in the county. Only the Aiken Rescue truck is necessarily ALS, although I think SouthStar and CapitalCity usually have ALS trucks. ACEMS does not require their trucks to be ALS. They also operate 1-3 QRVs, a quick response vehicle manned by a paramedic supervisor.

On Aiken Rescue, the truck is manned by two people with EMS certifications: an ALS provider (paramedic or Intermediate) and another one of any certification level. In addition, there may be a driver on the truck, or a cadet, or a student, or a probationary member.

Surely there was a legit reason to cancel it? otherwise it would be slightly unfair. If i have to cancel something for my cadets, I always make sure to re arrange it and inform them of the reasons why.

How is everyone btw? Not posted for a while

Hopefully they'll sort it out soon, I know SJA is still in the process of changing how it runs, We've been running as a Region for a few months now, but i know others are still in the process of changing over.

Our cadets are due for training on the AED course (As stated by the "any cadet over the age of 11 will get trained to used AED")

If you're unhappy, speak with your Leader and ask them to contact the Youth Team to try and get this sorted, as we're all volunteers, it's no fun being offered additional training, then it to be denied "because we say so"

Sometimes I'm glad im ACF :P

Just been looking at some courses at the Cadet Training Centre Frimley Park after speaking to one of my Sgt Instructors. Looking on their site they did a course which "Provides Community First Responder Qualification, including AED and Anaphylaxis qualification"

However the course is listed as an "Advanced First Aid Course", but isn't the only qualification that qualify's you as a CFR the IHCD First Person on Scene?

CFR is more the term used to describe the role the individual plays rather than the training they have, its about being recognised by the ambulance service in being able to respond. You also must be over 18 with a car and a driver's licence. The medical bit must include certain things e.g. Anaphylaxis, AED and O2 but as far as a recall there isn't a national course.

The OC-D