Sgt Alex4028

St John Ambulance - Get to know other cadets etc, show off your kit!

Had the interview and it went well. Now I have to wait for my DBS (CRB) check to come back and then I believe that I will be a SJA member

Great! Hope you do well on all the things you do and hope you enjoy

Just got ALL of my uniform, will post pics later.

Is anyone on duty this month? I have two, The Ambergate Carnival and Belper Food Festival, should be okay. Really want to attend Derbys Triple A.

Smart casual, you don't need to suit up, but look presentable :) Also, there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Also, the Cadet SDU uniform (basically normal SDU) has a problem, you can't order a "cadet" role bar, so just be aware of that and if you haven't got one, highlight it to your unit manager. (alternatively, if you did get one, let me know where from :P )

Another question :P haha

I had the interview and had the DBS check and etc, and now I just got invited to the induction, so what happens during the induction, besides the training and etc, I mean, do we do uniform fitting? and what about the SJA ID, as I had my picture taken already, do we get it during the induction or later when we move on to our Local unit? And is it the same for the uniform?

Thanks dear ;):D

Uniform: As soon as they have stock of your sizes, you should get it. This means you might not get it for a while or you'll get bits and pieces for it slowly. ID: The ID Card is linked to your DBS Check and will most likely be sent to the home address registered on that form. Occasionally batches will be sent to units. Once again, there may be regional variation so Entonox could have some different experiences! - The OC-D

If you're a cadet, you'll be given a leaflet in which will advise you on buying your own uniform, as this is the way most divisions are going.

If you're an adult, you'll more than likely have your sizes taken (You tell them your sizes) once you've attended a few meetings, you'll have one ordered for you. (Some places charge, some don't)

As for your ID, it is linked with the DBS check and you'll either get it in the post, or you'll get it through the division (DS should give you it if so)

Uniform: As soon as they have stock of your sizes, you should get it. This means you might not get it for a while or you'll get bits and pieces for it slowly. ID: The ID Card is linked to your DBS Check and will most likely be sent to the home address registered on that form. Occasionally batches will be sent to units. Once again, there may be regional variation so Entonox could have some different experiences! - The OC-D

If you're a cadet, you'll be given a leaflet in which will advise you on buying your own uniform, as this is the way most divisions are going.

If you're an adult, you'll more than likely have your sizes taken (You tell them your sizes) once you've attended a few meetings, you'll have one ordered for you. (Some places charge, some don't)

As for your ID, it is linked with the DBS check and you'll either get it in the post, or you'll get it through the division (DS should give you it if so)

I have received the DBS Certificated by post, it arrived around a week and half ago. So does the ID comes few days later or I should expect to receive it from the DS.

& Another question :P. My induction will be during the 13th and 14th of July at SJA Croydon HQ, so how long do you guys reckon that would taken from induction -> Move to Local Unit -> Uniform -> First duty. What should I expect to be doing during my first duty? How was your first duty?

I Just received an email with a Radio Level 1 - Radio Operator pdf. Do we get radio trained during induction? I thought we had to get training with radios by our local unit.

I'm an Adult Entonox :)

Thanks, both of you guys, I'm quite (a lot) excited, that's why I'm bombing you guys with questions :prop:

What should I expect to be doing during my first shift? How was your first shift.

First thing duty not shift. My first duty I just watched so don't get too excited. My shift was at a carnival (it was raining and at one point SJA out numbered the public) and we only had one casulty, my sister! And all the duty's I have been on nothing exciting happend. And I have been at cadets for 2 years

Once you've done your induction you're free to attend your Local Division (Should be listed on an invitation letter) and you can get stuck in right away.

What will happen is you'll be welcome by your division, any duties that come up, You'll either be an Observer or a Trainee First Aider. If you're a TFA, you can expect to be working with First Aid + and you can assist them with treatment if it's suitable.

In regards to uniform, when you get to your division, they may wish to order your uniform there and then, and it's usually a couple of weeks for SJA to process your order, and have the uniforms sent to the division/made and shipped.

By the sounds of it, your ID will be sent to your DS and they will give you it. you can go on duties without an ID but it's just worth noting your ID number (you can get this info from your DS, as they should have your records) and then you're covered in regards to paperwork and such.

My First duty was a fairly interesting one, multiple casualties on a road cycle race with serious injuries involved and an air ambulance, so was thrown in at the deep end with that :P

.My First duty was a fairly interesting one, multiple casualties on a road cycle race with serious injuries involved and an air ambulance, so was thrown in at the deep end with that :P

Wow, if that happend on a duty I was at we would be told to stay where I was.

My first duty was a village fireworks night, bugger all happened but it was good to be out. I doubt Entonox was flying the Air Ambulance despite what that sentence will make you think :P It's up to you to choose your duties, I chose one I knew would be quiet because I was bricking it. If you feel like a man ask for something more casualty intensive, there is discretion on your part. As for Tom, as I Cadet I can see why you'd be ask to stand and watch, there are limits to what we can throw you into. That said, I think anyone below AFA would be asked to step back unless there were low numbers with an incident such as Entonox's.

The OC-D

I was flying the helicopter!! Honest... ok... well maybe not actually flying it....

And I'm based at an out of the way division, so they train you to top standards and work on training weekly to keep everyone ready, and that the time, there were only F/A's on that duty, so there was no chance of stepping it back.

Duties aren't always dramatic, and my first was just one of those rare occasions when it happens to go that way. The perfect duty is one where you get no casualties and you're just enjoying the day out.

Obviously getting casualties will occur and your training kicks in and it's good to put your skills into use when there's a need, but don't become complacent, keep training and always have a good read of the latest first aid manual (9th edition revised) before the event, just to refresh the likely injuries you may be presented with.

Yeah, you know you're in a good division when they're keeping you instructed on everything. I remember the first night I attended, I was collaring and boarding someone in a training evening. All I done was the Emergency Life Support but they thought I'd need it eventually and I might as well get involved! Within a couple of months, before I was even an FA (no TFA back then!:D ) we'd be shown round the vehicles etc.

Our division is trying to implement a board with a local area map and pins with the most common duty locations. These pins would be numbered to a chart that lists most common injuries and most common treatment items needed so you can revise and stock up before you go :)

The OC-D

I'd really like to join the Cadet's but seeing that it is like the Scouts but focused more on first aid and life skills, i'm kind of hesitant to join. Most things that the St. John Ambulance cadets do interests me but i was in the Scouts once and hated it.

(Mainly on my part, but it wasn't that great anyway)

What can i expect to do/see etc if i went to see what it was like, aka a 'taster' session?

You'd see the family like group of people around your age for starters.

What I run on taster sessions, is First Aid teaching, so a subject, then a scenario where we practice this. Then we have another fun activity and if we're doing a grand prior subject, we'll do a bit of that. So there's a variety of information you can get from what happens.

SJA cadets aren't like scouts to the extent of what they actually do. with life skills, we teach things such as communications skills in emergency situations, and treatment situations, but those that also will benefit you out in life. We do personal safety, again which covers safety whilst on duties, but also cover you for every day life.

We don't do subjects that don't have relevance to our focus, but they do benefit your daily life.

You'd see the family like group of people around your age for starters.

What I run on taster sessions, is First Aid teaching, so a subject, then a scenario where we practice this. Then we have another fun activity and if we're doing a grand prior subject, we'll do a bit of that. So there's a variety of information you can get from what happens.

SJA cadets aren't like scouts to the extent of what they actually do. with life skills, we teach things such as communications skills in emergency situations, and treatment situations, but those that also will benefit you out in life. We do personal safety, again which covers safety whilst on duties, but also cover you for every day life.

We don't do subjects that don't have relevance to our focus, but they do benefit your daily life.

I'm confused. What exactly is a taster session? Do i go to an actual 'meeting' and watch or generally find out what you do?

You are invited to a meeting, this is where you see for yourself what goes on.

The meeting you attend is a FULL MEETING as would occur every week. this is your chance to ask any questions, get involved and see if you like it.

My example is how i adapt a session to involve as much as what we do as possible whilst not impacting the current cadets when a potential members drops in.

You are invited to a meeting, this is where you see for yourself what goes on.

The meeting you attend is a FULL MEETING as would occur every week. this is your chance to ask any questions, get involved and see if you like it.

My example is how i adapt a session to involve as much as what we do as possible whilst not impacting the current cadets when a potential members drops in.

Thanks for your help Entonox :) I'm applying for the cadets soon, probably wouldn't have if you hadn't said what it was like!

Very nervous :(

EDIT: Aw, the online SJA cadet application isn't working/has been turned off for under 18s registering :/

EDIT: Aw, the online SJA cadet application isn't working/has been turned off for under 18s 

Why not just pop down to your local unit?

(Chances are that application will just send a letter saying thanks for being interested but to find out more call *insert random number here* that for some reason always gets taken to answer machine cause all call handlers are always doing something much more important than there job, so youll probably end up just having to go to a local place anyway)

Why not just pop down to your local unit?

(Chances are that application will just send a letter saying thanks for being interested but to find out more call *insert random number here* that for some reason always gets taken to answer machine cause all call handlers are always doing something much more important than there job, so youll probably end up just having to go to a local place anyway)

Ok!

On Duty Saturday and Sunday, hate the way cadets now have 'CADET' written in massive letters on the back of hi-vis. Oh Well.

Hi guys, I thought I would chip in here as I am visiting this forum for the first time!

I am Leading Cadet Michael Long of the Southend Combined Cadet Division. We have a great laugh here, but still sticking to the importance that every member has to know first aid. The duties at this division used to be great; we had loads every year, now that things have changed, they seem in short supply, especially for us cadets! Any road, we enjoy ourselves, but we could have more meetings... Does anyone here meet two times a week or through school holiday's?

Regards, Michael Long