Sgt Alex4028

St John Ambulance - Get to know other cadets etc, show off your kit!

Hey Guys, just a thought, should this topic be moved to Connect?

Yes, the big pain that is regionalization! There are some differences and similarities around the country, I would say! :)

First Trauma incident Wednesday Night, Motorcycle vs Car, motorcyclists second toe was snapped in half and legs/arms covered in deep abrasions, no spinal injury (Very lucky to be honest, especially considering the damage to both the car and bike) Conveyed to Major Trauma Centre by WMAS.

For my first trauma on the street I did actually quite enjoy it :P

Just a question for you guys; What would you do if someones toe was snapped in half, exposing the bone (No shoe on but partially ripped sock left on, bone exposed but no bleeding, pain score of 3/10)

First Trauma incident Wednesday Night, Motorcycle vs Car, motorcyclists second toe was snapped in half and legs/arms covered in deep abrasions, no spinal injury (Very lucky to be honest, especially considering the damage to both the car and bike) Conveyed to Major Trauma Centre by WMAS.

For my first trauma on the street I did actually quite enjoy it :P

Just a question for you guys; What would you do if someones toe was snapped in half, exposing the bone (No shoe on but partially ripped sock left on, bone exposed but no bleeding, pain score of 3/10)

I'd leave the toe alone, maybe apply a sterile, non-fluffy dressing if it was possible (i.e. if the shoe was out the way and you could secure it properly)

Well I'm on duty tomorrow and Sunday and Thursday so this should be a good week for my hours :D

The OC-D

Nice one BARC :) 

dealt with one of our own (wmas) in an RTI/C/Whatever your area calls it. C-Spine tenderness so boarded and the works, went in as a red 2 call, waited an hour and a half for backup and was an ETA St John crew, lovely crew that were top of their game, was stupidly busy at that time so no resources in the area

Nice to see both organisations i work for come together and work well. Was pretty funny though, a Johnny van conveying a WMAS tech

Nice one BARC :)

dealt with one of our own (wmas) in an RTI/C/Whatever your area calls it. C-Spine tenderness so boarded and the works, went in as a red 2 call, waited an hour and a half for backup and was an ETA St John crew, lovely crew that were top of their game, was stupidly busy at that time so no resources in the area

Nice to see both organisations i work for come together and work well. Was pretty funny though, a Johnny van conveying a WMAS tech

1hr 30 on a Red 2? (So much for the 8 Minute response target)

How would you deal with say an ambulance in an RTC (Such as one of the usual WMAS ambulances, long/hightop vans) in getting out the driver if they had severe C-Spine pain (Suppose the same goes for most vans) Would the Fire Service cut off the top part of the cabin and bend it back or something?

EDIT:

Just looking through ebay, when i came accross this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221273430453

Prat used my images of my bag and claimed them as his (Look a few pages back)

"ALL images are stock photos only until I can upload more recent ones (the kit shown is my current configuration and not included)..."

First sudden death today, very eye opening experience :/

I suppose that it is a part of the job, unfortunately!

BARC, you wouldn't really peel the roof off unless all other options are ruled out as unsafe. 

The preferred option is of course, not to get into an accident :P but they'll take the driver out the door in the ambulances as it's pretty time consuming to take the lid off a van and would be a last option and the bulkhead prevents extraction through the back.

With your bog standard van it would be the same, unless there's no bulkhead then they'll take them through the back and out that way, which is the preferred method for any extrication.

Also, the response time was 0 seconds on the system as we stopped the clock by being there when it all kicked off. 

Passed all exams for this year. Annual leave for 2 weeks then out on the road untill feb 2015 when I'll complete the uni modules :)

Well, enjoy your 2 weeks, and have fun until 2015! :)

Will certainly try :) It's a bodged paternity leave as i wasn't entitled to the propper one, so bit of looking after the mrs and baby then some GTA V then work :P got it all planned out