Sgt Alex4028

St John Ambulance - Get to know other cadets etc, show off your kit!

Hi. I was thinking about joining the SJA Cadets (I'm not a legal adult, yet.) and i was wondering, what does it involve? Does it function like, the Scouts, for example? Or is it a completely different structure? Will you need a first aid kit? Hi vis jacket?

I have tons of questions on how SJA functions, so maybe a Cadet could help?

Just phone your local SJA unit, see if they have space and you can ask the your questions. P.S it is great! PM me any other questions.

Policy has changed (I'm a youth leader, run our local cadet division)

New members come under the new policy of Cadets until the 18th birthday (Will be the norm once renationalisation has completed 100% for all regions/counties)

Cadets are similar to other organisations such as scouts, but are focused more on First Aid.

Cadets can expect to cover Grand Prior subjects which is usually a 5 session "course" in which you will be equipped with Life skills and relevant skills that are useful in life. The can be related to first aid, such as the "Casualty care and communication skills" as well as "Personal Safety" to Photography and DIY GP Subjects.

You'll also gain a first aid qualification (Level 2 more than likely) which doesn't equate to a full First Aid certificate, but is certainly recognised and gives you the skills and know-how to treat members of the public in an emergency situation.

You would also make some great friends and extend your family, as SJA is like a family, it's great fun.

In regards to equipment, As per the new policies, St John Ambulance Cadets are to fund their own uniform (Cadet Service Delivery Uniform) in attempts to save the organisation money. The uniform essentials are around £70-£80 but DO NOT LET THIS PUT YOU OFF as there's an application to have the organisation to offer financial support and pay for the entire uniform. This is how the new system will work, but as things aren't fully in place yet, some divisions may stock the old uniform, in which is provided free of charge, or there's a system in place to provide the new uniform.

If you contact St John Ambulance, they will pass on your information to your nearest cadet division and they will contact you/your parents and discuss *everything* with you and invite you for a taster session at the unit.

Hi-Vis jackets are part of your PPE so will be provided as and when required for duties. This is not your responsibility to provide. Medical equipment (F/A kits) are also provided by the division for when you're on duty. (You will be with other members which will ensure that you're properly equipped for duty.)

To find out more, check out http://www.sja.org.uk and check out the cadets section.

Getting in contact with SJA isn't a promise that you want to join, and speaking with a local division and attending a session doesn't tie you into joining, so it's well worth getting in touch to find out more.

Any questions, post away :)

Policy has changed (I'm a youth leader, run our local cadet division)

New members come under the new policy of Cadets until the 18th birthday (Will be the norm once renationalisation has completed 100% for all regions/counties)

Cadets are similar to other organisations such as scouts, but are focused more on First Aid.

Cadets can expect to cover Grand Prior subjects which is usually a 5 session "course" in which you will be equipped with Life skills and relevant skills that are useful in life. The can be related to first aid, such as the "Casualty care and communication skills" as well as "Personal Safety" to Photography and DIY GP Subjects.

You'll also gain a first aid qualification (Level 2 more than likely) which doesn't equate to a full First Aid certificate, but is certainly recognised and gives you the skills and know-how to treat members of the public in an emergency situation.

You would also make some great friends and extend your family, as SJA is like a family, it's great fun.

In regards to equipment, As per the new policies, St John Ambulance Cadets are to fund their own uniform (Cadet Service Delivery Uniform) in attempts to save the organisation money. The uniform essentials are around £70-£80 but DO NOT LET THIS PUT YOU OFF as there's an application to have the organisation to offer financial support and pay for the entire uniform. This is how the new system will work, but as things aren't fully in place yet, some divisions may stock the old uniform, in which is provided free of charge, or there's a system in place to provide the new uniform.

If you contact St John Ambulance, they will pass on your information to your nearest cadet division and they will contact you/your parents and discuss *everything* with you and invite you for a taster session at the unit.

Hi-Vis jackets are part of your PPE so will be provided as and when required for duties. This is not your responsibility to provide. Medical equipment (F/A kits) are also provided by the division for when you're on duty. (You will be with other members which will ensure that you're properly equipped for duty.)

To find out more, check out http://www.sja.org.uk and check out the cadets section.

Getting in contact with SJA isn't a promise that you want to join, and speaking with a local division and attending a session doesn't tie you into joining, so it's well worth getting in touch to find out more.

Any questions, post away :)

That helped loads! Thanks Paramedic (I've seen your uploads on LCPDFR.com ;))

Hi guys. Soo yeah, I know it doesn't have much to do with cadets, but I've got a interview now on the 1st of June for First Aider. So I was wondering if you guys could tell me what should I expect from it, and what happens next if i pass and etc.

If you're joining the organisation, and not currently a member, you'll be interviewed and asked some general information, why you want to join, what you want to gain from SJA and some basic info about yourself, nothing really major. Will be worth looking into what SJA as an organisation do other than just First Aid, so some basic background info that can be found on the website.

If accepted into the organisation you will be required to provide information for the new CRB check (criminal disclosure check thingy) and should receive a welcome letter and info for your division and an induction course.

Once you've joined as a member, you will be put through a trainee First aider (TFA) course, which will give you the basics of first aid. (enough to attend duties, but working under first aiders)

It's then up to your division to provide further training to prep for a First Aider course then you will be put on for your Full F/A course.

You no longer go straight from joining > First aider anymore due to the changes within SJA. Also, well done on getting to an interview stage, you've got in just in time as recruitment is about to be put on hold.

If you're already a member, i can't see why you'd be interviewed for your First Aid.

If you're joining the organisation, and not currently a member, you'll be interviewed and asked some general information, why you want to join, what you want to gain from SJA and some basic info about yourself, nothing really major. Will be worth looking into what SJA as an organisation do other than just First Aid, so some basic background info that can be found on the website.

If accepted into the organisation you will be required to provide information for the new CRB check (criminal disclosure check thingy) and should receive a welcome letter and info for your division and an induction course.

Once you've joined as a member, you will be put through a trainee First aider (TFA) course, which will give you the basics of first aid. (enough to attend duties, but working under first aiders)

It's then up to your division to provide further training to prep for a First Aider course then you will be put on for your Full F/A course.

You no longer go straight from joining > First aider anymore due to the changes within SJA. Also, well done on getting to an interview stage, you've got in just in time as recruitment is about to be put on hold.

If you're already a member, i can't see why you'd be interviewed for your First Aid.

Thank you for your explanation, and no, I'm not a member.

They already asked me to do a DBS (CBR) check online.

How long does it take from the start of the training until you are allowed on duties?

I can't wait for the interview :P.

Once you've done the initial induction course, which involves an introduction to what SJA is, our brand, where they will enforce it's "St John Ambulance" not "St Johns Ambulance" and then you'll do your trainee first aid bits.

After you've done this (usually a day course over a weekend) you can go on duty right away (once you've got a uniform) but your role will be a Trainee First Aider, so will be assisting other First Aiders (don't let them pile the paperwork on you)

After that, no doubt you'll be on the next available First Aid course which will enable you to go on duty as a Full F/A

Enjoy sja, it's a new family and stick out the tough times, it's well worth it.

Once you've done the initial induction course, which involves an introduction to what SJA is, our brand, where they will enforce it's "St John Ambulance" not "St Johns Ambulance" and then you'll do your trainee first aid bits.

After you've done this (usually a day course over a weekend) you can go on duty right away (once you've got a uniform) but your role will be a Trainee First Aider, so will be assisting other First Aiders (don't let them pile the paperwork on you)

After that, no doubt you'll be on the next available First Aid course which will enable you to go on duty as a Full F/A

Enjoy sja, it's a new family and stick out the tough times, it's well worth it.

Thank you! :)

I'll do my best not to be their "paperwork boy" hahahaha.

So do you get the uniform during the initial induction course? & Are we allowed take it home and if so, can you get dressed at home and make your way to your local division or do you have to get dressed there?.

Sorry for bombing you with all the questions, is just that, I'm so excited, I can't control it... :P

Don't be sorry at all, glad you're excited to get involved!

You won't get a uniform during the induction, instead, once you've attended your unit, it will be up to the unit manager to get your sizes and order your uniform.

Once you get the uniform, you can take it home, but you don't technically own the uniform, it still remains SJA property (It's yours till you quit/die)

You may get changed into the uniform at home, but you're only allowed to wear it when you're on the way to, at or from a duty/unit meeting/other event requiring uniform but you must try cover up the uniform (wear a normal jacket over it) when not on duty.

The reason for this is that if you're identified as a medic (which the uniform kind of gives that impression) and you do not help in a medical situation, then it looks extremely unprofessional, as well as going against your duty of care (you will learn about this when you join)

Is this thread still open?

I'm Michael, I'm a Corporal at Belper Quadriliateral Division in Derbyshire.

I go out on 2-3 duties a month and have one shoulder grab first responder kit.

I'm currently trying to order my new uniform (the youth SDU) and it's going to cost me just over £140.50 which is pretty damn expensive.

Oh yeah, Hi, Nice to meet you all.

Another question :P. It may sound stupid, so I would like to apologise in advance!

What should I wear for the interview? Casual or smart?

Thaaaanks again :)

Smart casual, you don't need to suit up, but look presentable :) Also, there's no such thing as a stupid question.

Also, the Cadet SDU uniform (basically normal SDU) has a problem, you can't order a "cadet" role bar, so just be aware of that and if you haven't got one, highlight it to your unit manager. (alternatively, if you did get one, let me know where from :P )

To get the Cadet role bar it is ordered through your region. You can get Cadet Observer, Cadet Trainee First Aider, Cadet First Aider and Cadet Advanced First Aider.

-Michael

Hi,

Guys,

I'm sorry for not posting so quickly, because i only joined emergency planet to view and post in this thread i have to have my posts 'moderated'.

Anyway, as i have said you can order the Cadet role bars through your regional HQ. It is possible for you to recieve packs of the Cadet Observer, Cadet Trainee FA, Cadet FA, and Cadet AFA role bars.

I have just ordered my uniform, everything apart from the Parka (just because of the cost, £39.99 is quite alot), I will post pics when it arrives.

-Michael.

Thanks for that info, communication is still awful in my region but will certainly be making a noise to get them on order :)

@Entonox, aren't we in the same region? East Midlands? Lol.

My new SDU (well, a bit of it, the rest still hasn't come).

Reversible Fleece (Fleece Side - Front):

Photo0035_zps9bcd509e.jpg

Reversible Fleece (Fleece Side - Back):

Photo0036_zps10cf308c.jpg

Reversible Fleece (Waterproof Side - Front):

Photo0033_zps53bd14fe.jpg

Reversible Fleece (Waterproof Side - Back):

Photo0034_zps0cf0aec0.jpg

Polo Shirt (Front):

Photo0037_zps435cf772.jpg

Polo Shirt (Back):

Photo0038_zpsf8c9fbb3.jpg

Ooo Lovely new box of supplies from SP Services.

Had to completely re-arrange my bag to fit in all the new stuff, including;

Box of Gloves

Alcohol Free Wipes

Alcohol Prep Swabs

Sharps Bin

Accu-Check Aviva Nano (Blood Glucose Testing Kit)

2 Rolls of water proof tape

2 Rolls of Transpore Hypoallergy tape

Res-Q-Me Window Punch & Seatbelt Cutter

Tourniquet (Normal one, not a combat one)

Diagnostic Pen Light

2 Green pouches

Impact Resistant glasses

And best of all;

SP Mug!

Funnily enough, my bag seems lighter now ive re-arranged everything and added new stuff into it.

Also, i noticed when looking through my drugs pouch, i had normal paracetamol, and extra strength paracetamol. Now the extra strength had 40mg caffeine in it, any ideas how the caffeine makes it extra strength?

Again because my posts have to be moderated Entinox beat me with the below... Argh this is annoying.

-Michael.

Make sure you're covered to use the Blood Glucose test machine, as it's classed as an invasive procedure.

Also, the caffeine in the Paracetamol acts as a stimulant that may enhance the effects of the paracetamol.

If you're treating with paracetamol, stick with the normal ones, otherwise you'll need to find out if they've had much caffeine rich products, advise not to have anymore otherwise can lead to problems, so for the sake of making things simple for them, and to cover your arse, stick with normal ones.

Paracetamol needs to enter the blood stream to be effective, as Entonox said, caffeine is a stimulant that will increase heart rate. It won't magnify the effects of the paracetamol but it will work quicker. Also, make sure you're checking for contra-indications for paracetamol before giving it. :) - The OC-D