Sgt Alex4028

St John Ambulance - Get to know other cadets etc, show off your kit!

Yeah that other one is just a holdall and holds little equipment and is harder to carry than this backpack which holds loads of stuff.

And actually I heard in a recent survey, most people wouldn't help if they saw someone in need, which is why for Cardiac Arrests there's adverts now saying hands only CPR (The Vinnie Jones one that weve all seen) because people thought that they had to do rescue breaths (mouth to mouth).

@ BARC: Chances are you won't have that fancy kit bag with you though :P All you need is you for First Aid, anything else can be improvised. The only things I carry with me all the time are PPE, which consists of one pair of gloves in my bag, a disposable resus face shield in my wallet and an instructions card so I can teach others to help or others can help me :D

@Met police: A lot of people are scared about the consequences, its reassuring that people are starting to learn :)

@ Ghost: They don't teach it at the majority of schools here, it normally crops up in extra cirricular things like Cadets or St John, which I think is a shame, but officially there is no age limit. Sounds like a really silly piece of legislation...what could it possibly be in aid of...?

There's currently a huge issue in St John whether Cadets (11-16) should be taught how to use an AED (Automated External Defribillator). I feel being as they are taught CPR and to manage casualties that are essentially dead, why shouldn't they be able to shock? (If they feel capable needs to be added as a qualification...) :)

The OC-D

Funny thing happened today

Salesman popped up as i was leaving out (I was wearing the SDU) and offers to sell me something, i say no thanks, he then pipes up "Oh, I'm in st johns as well" thought fair enough, small world eh? Gets slightly iffy here. I ask what is his role, he explains he's a Cycle responder for my area (This is where i doubt him, As we've only just got a cycle responder unit and yours truly is in training) but i go along with it.

"I've delivered babies, it's amazing" cool i thought, Amazing feeling that. The next part worried me slightly, "You seen many dead people" thankfully, In SJA, I have not, so i explained that. He then comes back with "oh shame, I've seen loads mate, f** loads". Now this guy is either a class A Bullshooter, or a very bad medic

He asks my role, So i explain I'm a youth leader and run our local cadet division. He then asks what cadets are.... thought ok, Not everyone knows about our youth side of the organisation...

So i've come to the conclusion salesmen will try anything to get a sale.

Anyways, Our region has finally realised it has members, so tomorrow night, I get to meet my line manager for the first time. Yay...

Bizarre, should have tried leading him on, see what he would agree with... :D What was he trying to sell you?

Good luck, make sure to bombard them with questions...let them know that the members are what matters :P:D

I've just submitted an SDU order form, fingers crossed...

The OC-D

He was trying to sell home improvements, Not that we needed it, the house is in top condition, Anyways, Yes I'll be sure to let them know MEMBERS MATTER!

I'll also be bringing up a complaint regarding ID's. Mine went through the wash about 4 months ago, and only just shows my name, Yet each time i as for a replacement, nothing gets done. So yes, Getting to meet the big chiefs and express my thoughts.

As for SDU, goodluck with it, I'm already fighting for a new pair of trousers, As my 1 pair are falling apart.

Also, with the introduction of SDU, there's a parker jacket (not hi-vis) that none of the units are allowed to order, As they're too expensive, so we have just the normal fleecy reversible jacket (can be seen a few pages back) and we're told this is our new hi-vis.

It has *NO* reflective on it. All hi-vis jackets will be banned from use.

But... Isn't a Hi-Vis jacket part of our PPE? I've worked out on the road where a hi-vis was vital, At LARGE events, with mass crowds, wearing a black jacket won't cut it. For me to be identifiable in an incident where i needed to be located by staff else where, or by members of the public, a Hi-Vis enables people to see that you're there for a reason, Not just another member of the crowd.

Anyways, saving my rant for later on :)

I've been told I'm getting a Hi-Vis, a pair of boots and a baseball cap with my uniform, all things I have and are completely surplus for me; and must be very expensive to send all members... o.O Anyone working on vehicles must have a Hi-Vis anyway...

Sounds like they're cocking things up...again. :D

The OC-D

well, back from the meeting... what a joke. They've appointed new members to high roles within SJA, went to get my CRB renewed, idiot came up with "we can't use birth certificates for crb checks as we don't class it as part of your ID"......

Anyways, they've really screwed things up by going regional, Rank structure review isn't being taken seriously, The wrong people are in the wrong places, They've "made it easier for members to join" then went on to list 15 stages to the joining process... No wonder members are leaving or not even bothering to see the joining process though.

As for the Hi-Vis, If i deem it necessary to have it as part of my own dynamic risk assessment, I'll be more than happy to take it up with the high ups that don't bother to turn up to duties and explain to them how much i would be suing them should i have an accident because i wasn't seen because they denied my PPE. Then see where their new rules on banning them are.

In regards to people reacting to medical emergencies, many people would rather keep on walking, as they fear they could screw up, or it could go wrong, and then they've gotta live knowing they weren't able to save XYZ. In theory, everyone would do it, I mean it's a chance to save a life, but in the real world, it seldom happens. Car accidents, even before emergency crews arrive, I've never seen one person get out of their car or come over before me. I'll always do it, because I know as soon as I do, a dozen more will. If you're the first, you're the leader, and you're shagged. Believe rank all you want, when you're the first there, unless you get a pompous asshole, even the higher trained ones will recognize it as your scene until someone getting paid to handle it responds. By this I mean like off duty paramedics, nurses, doctors, firefighters, etc.

Now with that salesman, I don't know how it is in Europe, but most places here it's illegal to identify yourself as a medical responder if you're not. People are like, oh I'm a doctor, I'm a paramedic whatever, if they don't look it, I demand proof. Not always demand, but I ask it.

Finally, with uniforms, here they have laws requiring medical responders, really all first responders to have some sort of reflective material. Most even have like the square inches or area for reflective per height. At the very least, if you're not yellow, you're in a big, bright red jacket, so they know you're a medic at least. Plus what are they going to do? Fire you for wearing stripes? Let's see how far that'd get in court

Yep, at least in the South we seem to have some of the right people implemented into the right places, mainly through public outcry and last minute swaps... Yep, actually joining is easier but the new TFA hurdle is just pointless...

Hi-Vis are a British H+S requirement, St John cannot do away with them for good. I think what SJA want is for members to not wear them near constantly, something I agree with but I think they've been crap in communicating that hence why people think they're banned...

EDIT for NFK's post:

I completely agree with you on the point of stepping in, people would rather it wasn't their problem.

Its not illegal here, especially as St John is a voluntary organisation - but its a bloody low step to go to...

Our new uniforms to seem to include at least stripes of partial reflective material but for working around vehicles, in crowds or at night, we need proper Hi-Vis with Medical Green shoulders and chequered banding. Its not that people won't identify us as medics in the new uniform but its just a question of visibility.

The OC-D

TFA is a complete waste of time, They should have stuck with the intro course then FA.

Also, I support SJA preventing members wearing a Hi-Vis when it's not appropriate, But it should be down to the Duty Officer to decide if it's a requirement as part of their risk assessment, Not RHQ deciding to outlaw them.

Also, it is a shame and common occurrence, some people would either just walk on when someone is in need, Or be too frightened to do anything, As they don't know what to do. This is where SJA is making a difference in training and offering advice (their Helpless campaign for one)

https://www.youtube....player_embedded

Now with that salesman, I don't know how it is in Europe, but most places here it's illegal to identify yourself as a medical responder if you're not. People are like, oh I'm a doctor, I'm a paramedic whatever, if they don't look it, I demand proof. Not always demand, but I ask it.

Here in the UK most medical titles (Paramedic, Nurse, Doctor, Chiropodist, etc) are protected by law and regulatory boards (HCPC, BMA, etc), however Surgeon isnt i dont think, but there was some outcry to make it illegal if your not one (So does that mean tree surgeons cant have the surgeon part? :P )

Basically, You can identify yourself as a first aider though thats fine, I done it a couple of weeks ago. I was walking home from Army Cadets and as I got to the center of town, I saw a Police Officer trying to help a man that had a cut to his head and arm. He wasnt doing a great job if I say so myself so I stuck around and done all the first aid till the Ambulance turnt up. They really need to teach the Police some proper first aid here.

On the subject of protected titles, Emergency Medical Technician currently is un protected. There's a few that need to change, and personally, First Aider needs to become one of them.

Far to often i've met people claiming to be a first aider, or knowing first aid because "they've watched casualty"

As for Tree surgeons, I believe that would be quiet safe :P as long as the Tree part is there :P

That's actually a good idea regarding first aiders, but there's so many people who are actually qualified first aiders compared to other titles like Doctor, Paramedic, etc.

How would you be able to keep track of them all?

Would there be some sort of national ID for people who are first aiders to prove that they are qualified when in the street like all other titles? (I personally carry an ID Lanyard with FIRST AIDER written around it and then an ID Card with my Name, Date of Birth, Training Level, When my qualification expires and a contact number as well as a photo, which tends to re-assure by-standers that there's someone who knows what they're doing there)

Would there be some kind of portfolio to complete every year or so to make sure your still competent in 'practising' first aid?

There would need to be some governing body like HCPC to regulate it (HSE kinda like does that, but only for the first aid at work courses) and that would cost quite a bit of money.

It may mean there would be less first aiders, because of people not having the time to keep upto date with registration and/or people not being a**** to do it.

But on the plus side it may mean people have more trust in having first aiders helping them as they're regulated.

There's many pro's and cons, But my personal view is that there needs to be something in place that prevents those that claim to be first aiders, because they did an FA course 20 years ago.

I know here when you get cert'd you get a three piece certificate. One to frame and hang (like I'm going to hang that on my wall, lol) and two little pop out cards, about the size of a credit card. I keep one in my wallet, and the other with the full form, unpopped. Never had I had to actually prove my certifications, since in the event of an emergency, it's obvious if someone knows what they're at, and you can't expect people to take the time to prove their qualifications via a piece of paper.

I've met people three years expired, but still know their stuff a lot better than those who are still completely active. I think I have only ever once said no to someone helping, and that was because they were clearly clueless.

Thing is though, if your not qualified and while carrying out first aid and you seriously cripples someone for life, then your legally not covered and therefore could be nicked for assault (Where as if your qualified and if you do do something that cripples them then it would go up to who ever trained/tested you, which would be investigated and would either result in them being done or some kind of change in the First Aid Manual)

Or something along those lines which i was told by my instructor

The best thing to do, even if you are amazing at First Aid, But don't hold a current valid certificate, is to get one just for the cover it provides.

With SJA, If you cripple someone but have done everything right within your qualification, You're insured by SJA for one, and you have a Certificate of your qualification, so you're pretty much covered from any legal action, as you've done what is nationally recognised as the current correct method.

Will say, SJA have actually come through positively.

I've requested a fund raiser pack and some items to use, with only a weeks notice. The person that should have delivered the items went off sick, so the fundraising officer drove all the way down to my local HQ, and gave me £50+ worth of fundraising goodies, certainly a step in the right direction for SJA. Commitment of those in the right places.

Hello friends,

i am searching a member of St. John Ambulance in the web space who would trade with me a SJA Shirt to a Johanniter Unfall Hilfe Shirt.

Johanniter Unfall Hilfe is the “St John Ambulance” of Germany.

Or sell me one SJA Shirt.

I am searching for a white 'pilot style' plain shirt with St John Ambulance emblem on it.

In exchange of it I can offer a white or marine blue polo shirt of Johanniter Unfall Hilfe.

Is there anybody who wants to trade with me?

Greetz and kind regards

Karsten

Could you expand? Is it either of these two?

http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/products/default.asp?productId=U14288

http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/products/default.asp?productId=U14041

Or if you could provide an image of what you had in mind?

If I know what you're specifically looking for, I might be able to help :) I must hasten to add that these products are for St John Ambulance members only so if a trade/purchase were to take place myself/any other member would need sufficient proof :)

The OC-D

Interesting to get a Trade post, Glad you mentioned proof of membership to SJA, would hate an impersonation charge to come about (I've witnessed 1 case where someone was in deep sh... for wearing SJA items when they were not SJA.