Sgt Alex4028

St John Ambulance - Get to know other cadets etc, show off your kit!

It's very strange that we're all the Same organisation, Yet it's ran differently in each county.... There really does need to be someone investigating why you're told you need to be footing the bill for you uniform, you Volunteer your time to the organisation, They're responsible for your uniforms.

Wow SJA is bigger then i actually thought, I'm a Army Cadet and our first aid courses are mostly SJA.

I see your talking about uniforms? The ACF was supposed to recieve the new multicam uniform ages ago, and its only being brought in September. Cadet organisations are left out when it comes to things like new uniforms.

Be thankful your conversion courses are going ahead, We've all been told we MUST complete the conversion courses, or there could be some issues around medical cover on duties, and it MUST BE COMPLETED SOON.

Best part of the above? When contacting them, The reply was "no courses this year. Sorry"

It's all starting to fall apart, There's been 4 events in a row that have cancelled on us this month alone, Because they've either found cheaper cover else where, Or decided to go it alone without cover, Because of the costs of using sJA.

On a positive note, Just taken another 5 Cadets into our division, growing rapidly on that front :)

Well, we've now been told that the assessors haven't been sent (from NHQ) a list of criteria to assess us on; so we're doing the training, but we're not going to be qualified. -.-

You're valid until 31st December 2012 on your 2011 competencies so you should still be able to provide medical cover. Costs for SJA aren't getting any cheaper, but then neither's the private medical market.

Good news is we're still getting duties, our division is increasing in size and resources (New Vehicle :D ) Which is nice.

The OC-D

Glad to hear things are going well for you, Hopefully once all the changes at HQ are sorted (not likely to be soon) We'll be able to bring everything back to a good working standard.

we're losing a lot of our events to the Red Cross, As they do offer it for much cheaper, which is a shame for the Cadets, As they're yet to cover a Medical Duty this year.

Well, we've now been told that the assessors haven't been sent (from NHQ) a list of criteria to assess us on; so we're doing the training, but we're not going to be qualified. -.-

You're valid until 31st December 2012 on your 2011 competencies so you should still be able to provide medical cover. Costs for SJA aren't getting any cheaper, but then neither's the private medical market.

Good news is we're still getting duties, our division is increasing in size and resources (New Vehicle :D ) Which is nice.

The OC-D

What vehicle I thought sja only used bikes

You need to do some more research :D

St John has a massive collection of vehicles from the ancient to the brand new, as a nationwide charity run organisation our resources are staggering:

http://www.flickrive...ol/interesting/

My division's garage (Vale Of Aylesbury) currently holds two Crusaders (our standard ambulances), a Small First Aid Post (based on a Ford Transit caravan), a minibus (an LDV Convoy), two bicycles and now this brand new Nissan Pathfinder. However, we are the County Headquarters so they're not all 'ours' (I think one Crusader, the LDV and the Bicycles belong to VoA, the other Crusader is High Wycombe's, the 4x4 is a county asset and the First Aid Post is Wendover's) but we quite often get interesting stuff from other divisions as we swap in and out, such as '777', which is a Land Rover Defender Ambulance.

The OC-D

Tactical:

1000422w.jpg

Fluorescent Stripes (For Events, Expeditions, and all other non tactical movements):

1000426d.jpg

1000424d.jpg

Clips and Straps to attach to webbing, Zips to add ass a side pouch to a bergan, handles to carry normally.Strap toStrap to clip 1000425p.jpg

Strap to allow carrying the bag over your shoulder

1000427ul.jpg

Compartments (Full)

1000429k.jpg

1000430es.jpg

Compartment 1 - Velcro Bags & Open Space

1000433p.jpg

Wrist BP Cuff, Bottle of Water, Surgical Spirit (For sore feet), Improvised amputation tourniquet kit, Orange and White mine tape for incident management.

1000435e.jpg

2 Triangular Bandages, 5 Medium Sterile Pads, 9 Assorted, Padded Bandages.

1000437i.jpg

Germolene Cream with Local Anaesthetic, Hydrocortisone Ointment, TCP Ointment, Savlon Cream, Spot Cream (Bags rub on your shoulders and cause spots), Diarrhoea Tablets, Insect Repellent, Fan, Spare Batteries.

1000438g.jpg

Lots of Plasters, 2 2in1 Antiseptic wipe and plaster, Lots of Antiseptic Wipes, 1 Small Sterile Pad, Adhesive Tape, Mine tape for large wounds.

1000440h.jpg

Compartment Emptied Out

Small Bag in centre, section 1

1000441q.jpg

5 Pairs of Gloves, Sticky Tape, Brown Bag, Shoe/Boot Insoles, Glow Stick/Chem Light

Small Bag in centre, section 2

1000442hb.jpg

4 Triangular Bandages, 2 Burn Bags

Small Bag in centre, Velcro plastic bag section.

1000443z.jpg

2 packs of 4 Pins, Green Waterproof Bag, 2 Packs of Vinyl Gloves, Unison West Midlands Stethoscope.

Small Bag in Centre, Notepad Compartment

1000444n.jpg

?3 Ball Point Pens, 2 Permanent Markers, 1 Notepad, 1 Multilingual First Aid Reference Booklet

Compartment 2 (Elastically Held equipment)

1000445py.jpg

Antiseptic Handwash, 2 Large Bandages, Minetape, 3 Kevlar Scissors, 4Head Headache relief, 2 Sterile Water Packets, 1 Saline Solution Packet, Pukka Pies ruler, Paracord string/small rope, TCP Spray Plaster, Foot Spray, 1 High Intensity LED Torch, 1 UV Light/Torch, Burn Shield fluid, 32 500mg Paracetamol, Plastic Bags, Thermometer.

Empty

1000446v.jpg

@BritshArmyReserveCadets: Do you find you can hear alright when doing Blood Pressure's with the single tubed stethoscope? I'm thinking of getting a double tubed and was wondering whether it was just me with the problem...?

@Entonox: I should be trained by August 30th! I've done my AFA course, I'm booked on 'Moving and Handling For First Aiders' this Saturday, I have IPC on 2nd August and my Assessment on the 30th. Incredible. Whether it actually pulls off, I'll never know. And why they've put the assessment after the County Show is beyond me. (Everyone who's getting assessed will have been on duty for 11 hours prior to being tested, not exactly calm and collected...)

The OC-D

haha, Very nice! Goodluck.

I've got a 3 day residential course this weekend, related to Cadets and unit leaders in line with the new changes... Should be fun. Scouts huts and crappy food WOOOOO!!! can't wait....

Well, as St John, we're not allowed to carry lotions, potions, pills, medicines etc. (bar Aspirin for Cardiac Arrests, Paracetemol and Calomine Lotion) so a lot of your kit wouldn't be allowed :D

That said, Aspirin can damage Stomachs, Kidneys, Livers, cause 'thinning' of the blood which can increase blood pressure and cause Strokes. Do a Google search. How old do you need to be?

The OC-D

Lol potions, i aint harry potter :P

Well, as St John, we're not allowed to carry lotions, potions, pills, medicines etc. (bar Aspirin for Cardiac Arrests, Paracetemol and Calomine Lotion) so a lot of your kit wouldn't be allowed :D

Thats why im not St Johns Ambo :D

How old do you need to be?

For a person to be able to take aspirin? I believe its around 16-18+