Sgt Alex4028

St John Ambulance - Get to know other cadets etc, show off your kit!

Was working with a St John ETA crew the other day. Slightly weird being with them and in a WMAS uniform, usually the other way around :P

@999madtom - There's a high chance I'm going, I'll PM you if I am, would be funny to meet you in person! :D

@ SgtLong - If there is a contract between the ambulance service/NHS and St John, yes, ETA's can work ambulance shifts including Patient Transport and frontline '999' work. Their primary responsibility is to be emergency ambulance trained members on a Crusader on a St John specific duty.

@Entonox - Anything interesting come up? :)

The OC-D

Alot of interesting occurrences, the johnny crew was really good, but the typical treatment from the ambulance service was apparent. There's not enough recognition and respect towards what the ETA crews do and are seen just as a joke by many. Which is completely wrong.

I asked the Para that I was working with that day what their impression was, and the first thing they said was their experience of St John was people pretending to be paramedics, and that there's many that have some sort of god complex (Going by what their experience of working along side an SJA crew) 

I of course explained this wasn't typical and that there's the bad apples in all organisations and that the majority are in it for the right reasons and such.

Would say around 90% of the calls I've attended since starting aren't what you typically expect an ambulance service to attend. 

Mostly the elderly community and social care.

Also, since starting, I've only blue light transported 2 patients into A&E, so certainly what the public perceive the service to do, and what they actually do are far different.

Also got the inside scoop on why Emergency Bikers don't feature WMAS anymore. Certainly eye opening seeing things from the inside out.

Was making so many mistakes on camera that it was becoming an embarrassment to the organisation, so was pulled from filming them, and probably safe to assume that further training was offered.

Interesting night shift tonight, Part of an ambulance response crew to a plane crash exercise at a major airport for the first part so will certainly be interesting. I'll post more about it later, going to do a case study for it so will share some of that with anyone here that's interested. 

Also, Taxi drivers in the West Mids are a nightmare, had two try to kill me on the same blue light run..

Your experiences with the plane crash will definitely be interesting!

Taxi drivers are taxi drivers!! :)

God luck mate! We have our assessment at the end of December.

'jpedro' - Welcome to the Forum (I see you have two posts!). I also would like to be a special, maybe an ECA or Paramedic as well, that would be great! Both the jobs I love together!!! :D 

Well done theocd! Good work :)

@Sgt. Long, Thanks.

With SJA I'm hoping to become an ETA and became a Special with City of London Police.

(Thanks for your Thanks :D) I am still not 100% sure what the role of an ETA is.......

I would imagine that SJA in London is quite busy?!?!?

Well done theocd! Good work :)

(Thanks for your Thanks :D) I am still not 100% sure what the role of an ETA is.......

I would imagine that SJA in London is quite busy?!?!?

Emergency Transport Attendant, Resuming in very few words: Ambulance Driver (Blues & two's) and a more advanced skill level.

I haven't been with SJA for long. but it's quite busy. Unfortunately, is slowing down a bit due to the weather and etc... :D

Just a quick question,

Do you lot all parade on Remembrance day? By parade I mean take part and not provide first aid?

If so, are any of you taught some sort of foot drill?

I'm asking because the St John Cadets in my town look very unpleasant to the eye when they're taking part in a parade. Berets worn like flat caps and they sort of just bimble along.

Just a quick question,

Do you lot all parade on Remembrance day? By parade I mean take part and not provide first aid?

If so, are any of you taught some sort of foot drill?

I'm asking because the St John Cadets in my town look very unpleasant to the eye when they're taking part in a parade. Berets worn like flat caps and they sort of just bimble along.

My cadets in Southend mainly cover first aid, but if we had enough interest in participating in a parade, then we would teach those the basics of drill before they go out and do it.

I don't know how your cadets work there, but we mainly cover first aid there, marching is minimal and not great! We rarely take part in those type of events as uniform is a problem, being the same, what the cadets actually own etc...

:)