Sgt.Wulf

Spelling, grammar and punctuation

Seriously, moderators should start being more aggressive on checking the proper spelling and such. I've seen people write 200 words without a single comma or a dot. It rips my lungs trough the nostrils. I needed to read all the posts of the topic-starter three-****ing-times to understand. And there was a single sentence.

Guest RescueMe
Seriously, moderators should start being more aggressive on checking the proper spelling and such. I've seen people write 200 words without a single comma or a dot. It rips my lungs trough the nostrils. I needed to read all the posts of the topic-starter three-****ing-times to understand. And there was a single sentence.

Is this a prison or jungle?

Еxample: I'm not english, still learning this language. I prefer to write simply to be understandable... Here have of all kinds people... ( ... ) Some of them can still have problems. Allright, everybody make mistakes sometimes.

PS: I'm sure that you can't speak ot write my language. It doesn't matter because we write here with one or two laguages. You wont everything to be perfect writed? Nobody is perfect. I have still problems with understandble some of comments... but I'm not angry for this to someone.

:1046275976_nospam::sorrysign:

RescueMe

Never you worry Wulf, we will be more aggressive on things like your foul language that was neither constructive, nor necessary. As far as playing the spelling-bee police, sorry I simply do not have time to spellcheck posts considering this is an INTERNATIONAL FORUM! Love it or leave it, not everyone aced the spelling be like you did=(

Guys really... please with respect... make peace here.

Everywhere on this board it looks like being in a warzone... I founded the site hopping to bring members something useful and not to get people to make their bitch fights here...

Thank you for my time

Nah, now you all missed the point, you MikeyPi for example. I was not asking for correct grammar with all the possible rules. All I was asking that there would be some enforcement for awful language.

For example, written by RescueMe:

I'm not english, still learning this language. I prefer to write simply to be understandable...

Sentence was just the thing. He spend like two seconds and it turned out to be good sentence, and it ain't even his mother-tongue, if I understand correctly.

On the other hand, these ones:

-if you wht somethin on the page or somethin better or update

-i am just seeing wht would people what on there new la-mod website

-maybe i just seeing wht people wht on it frist

Are awful. I mean, how much time it takes to fill in all the letters? This guy is from Warrington, UK. It is his mother-tongue! All these examples take few attempts from the reader for him to understand! Is it really that hard to use proper language? He does not EVEN TRY. It is okay if someone really writes bad language, I understand, it takes effort. But a guy from the UK writes sentences that seem to be written by 4-year old kindergarten fella? The point is not being bitchy.

For example, bad language skills, spelling mistakes, grammar problems and such are all acceptable, completely okay. What is not okay, if "presumably" over 15-year old writes like a 4-year old. He does not even try. That is the point. It takes two seconds to figure it in one's mind and then put it trough keyboard. In a forum where vast amounts of info is written everyday, it comes out of courtesy towards others. It is polite to even try to write in a good manner.

I apologize about usage of curse-words, my bad. And I do not expect everyone to write similar text to mine, mut nevertheless, You MUST agree with me that SOME SMALL effort could be applied to written language, huh?

Last point, to show my exact point:

And by the way, my mother-tongue is swedish and finnish. I started studying english when I was 15, and now I'm 19. So no, this isn't peace-of-cake to me.

yuh i spkoe sweden adn finis i bgan like stdyyuin tehes 15 19 so i like no the drill

Which one you liked more, red or blue?

I totally agree with you Sgt.Wulf

Btw, i liked blue more ;)

Split the topic and moved it to English off topic. The title and subtitle are mine so please don't talk to sgt. Wulf about it if you don't agree with it.

I agree with you that everyone has to take the time to reread their posts. And if they see that it's ununderstandable they can adjust their post. There is an edit button for a reason. I really don't care about grammar or spelling that much because of all the nationalities here, but I do agree with you that adding a few dots here and some commas there would improve the quality of the text dramaticly.

However besides pointing members to the fact that they write in a way nobody understands, there isn't much we can (or want?) to do about it. Just playing forum police and answering questions here can take me up to two or three hours a day. If we would also be correcting grammar and punctuation I would never be able to leave my laptop! That's why I feel everyone is responsible for his or her own use of language and punctuation. We do on occasion point out to people that they write things no one can understand. But we won't do it after one or two posts, only if it is a structural thing.

Maybe in the future we will have time on our hands to enforce such rules. For now my advice:

-when you type use punctuation (dots, commas etc.)

-after you've posted reread your post. Use the edit button to correct flaws like spelling mistakes or misplaced dots.

-make sure you think your post is understandable for other users.

That way everybody is happy.

Is this a prison or jungle?

It's more of a jungle inside a prison.

Edited by pyrothijs

Why would we all the sudden start enforcing awful language? It isn't like we enforce anything else around here anyway, we all waste so much time dealing with childishness that it really is not worth it... Having to enforce spellcheck would just make it even more of a headache, I would just as soon delete people's posts and get bitched at for that too! So I guess my point is you're generally right, most these people can't take the two minutes to actually think of how to word something correctly, but frankly nobody gives a damn... In the end gibberish is better than nothing at all I think.

Nah, now you all missed the point, you MikeyPi for example. I was not asking for correct grammar with all the possible rules. All I was asking that there would be some enforcement for awful language.

I don't really care about this. I prefer to see people using punctuation and capital letters at least. My English wasn't that good in the beginning and still isn't perfect. There are a lot of younger and non-English people on this forum, so you can't expect everyone to write correct English.

Hoppah

Guest jacob1029

To be honest I don't really care about it and I don't see why people should so much.

As long as its not:

plzzz som1 elp me now cuz i iz stuck lyk

or as mentioned 10 lines without a . or a capital letter then im fine with it as I appreciate that this is international and only the internet.

I do find it slightly ironic that in a post about Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar Sgt. Wulf seems to have spelt 'through' wrong (check - it's missing a 'h') in his original post (or it's just poor grammar as I don't understand 'my lungs trough the nostrils'). To add insult to injury he has been edited for poor language.

Love and Peace,

The OC-D

Kind of off topic but why was the F word edited from his post when I seen a staff member post a pic with the f word(the give an f meter) in it the other day?

I know which picture you're referring to, I browsed the topic but I couldn't find it anymore. I think it either was removed by the staff member who posted it or it was submitted a little longer ago then 'the other day'.

We try to limit senseless swearing on this websit as much as possible, that's why I removed the F-word in the post above. I feel other staff members are responsible for their own posts. I will not go about editing their posts. What they post is their own responsibility. Although I'd like to point out the picture was placed to make a point in a funny way, it wasn't meant insulting like in the above post.

That's all I can say about it.

Next time you write a topic about correct spelling, make sure you actually use correct spelling. It's "through", not "trough".

Oh and I know it's late, but I think you deserve a warning for using foul language, especially since it had no purpose whatsoever. :sporty: