MikeyPI

Emergency Questions

The police took forever to show up the other day when there was a fire across the street. All they did was partially block the road so no one ran over the supply line for one of the engines, yet some dumb girl tried to go around the cop and was going to drive over the hose. Then another cop showed up, got out of his car, and stood there talking to the cop, who was in his cruiser blocking the road. Didnt even bother with directional lights is memorey serves me right.

There is a question in this or an answer to someone else's question?

Um, quick question while we are talking about Type engines... what is a type 7, I can't find any info or pictures anywhere

Now I know you can google better then that, just type in Type 7 Patrol. Basically a Type 7 is the smallest possible vehicle, usually a 2 door pickup with a skid plate on the back and a single hose reel staffed with 1 or 2 personnel. Going off memory, the other qual is at least 50gpm. Actually type 7 is 10 gpm at 100 psi, tanks with 50- to 200-gallon capacities, 200 feet of 1-inch hose and a crew of two. I had to look it up in my FOG manual real quick. Knew 50 played somwhere in it

The major difference between the patrols is how many people can it carry (back seat/4 door or not) and Gallons Per Minute capability. Some LAFD patrols are rated at Type 6 and I think LACoFD's are either 6 or 7 depending on the number of doors. The big deal is that 3rd man capability.

probably fuel :12:

or mabie cooling liquid cause those things get hot

Doubt it was fuel, it was hooked into the window on the sealed side(the non door opening side). Sorry I forgot to mention that.

@NFK, I was sort of thinking the same thing(charging cable) but this thing was like 6 inches in diameter. I cant imagine it be full of chords. I mean when I am at the fire stations they just have a heavy duty chord no thicker then your heavy duty lawn and garden use extension chord.

Um, quick question while we are talking about Type engines... what is a type 7, I can't find any info or pictures anywhere

I would actually be interested in knowing all the different types.

Can anyone tell me what this is used for? its STLFD fuel unit 1 (its on page 5 - cant post the pic cause of stupid board limitations and cant save cause its been disabled (at the other site)

Once again Fire Chief mag is a great resource...

Fire Chief Mag

FUEL TENDERS

Some departments operate fuel tenders to deliver diesel and gasoline to their fleet of vehicles rather than have each vehicle come to a central location or refuel at local filling stations. The advantages of this arrangement include the ability to control the quality and seasonal formulations of the fuels, as well as restrict the potential for refueling unauthorized vehicles. Fuel tenders also can be a big benefit during long-duration or widespread incidents where individual apparatus can't leave the scene or travel great distances to find fuel. St. Louis recently purchased a new fuel tender that carries 1,500 gallons of diesel and 1,000 gallons of gasoline in a split tank.

Thanks Mike, could you elaborate on the 48/96 schedule and the Kelly's schedule? I saw it mentioned in one of the comments but didnt fully understand it.

That is more then I'm willing to bite off and is a topic not understood by many in and out of the fire service. I personally have never worked either schedule so I'm unfamiliar with the in's and outs. CDF worked a 72hr work week (3 on/4 off) that was pretty easy to follow, LACoFD and LAFD as well, works a 56hr work week that is broken up into a 24 day corridor. For LACoFD it bassically breaks down to 2, 12 day segments that go 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 4 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 2 off, repeat. This allows different days to cycle each month so you're not always working on the weekend or holiday as well as allowing for overtime opprotunities during your days off. It's pretty common for guys to just skip their 1 day off and work 3 straight and pick up the OT or an assignment at a different house. I've heard the 56hr schedule we use called various things with Modified Detroit being the most common. Remember, we use a 3 platoon rotation, the others can use as many as 4 platoons which is both a plus and a minus in many regards.

Sorry, maybe someone else on the board has experienced the other schedules, but I haven't.

Hows the 56 hr schedule work as far as days on and off?
That is more then I'm willing to bite off and is a topic not understood by many in and out of the fire service. I personally have never worked either schedule so I'm unfamiliar with the in's and outs. CDF worked a 72hr work week (3 on/4 off) that was pretty easy to follow, LACoFD and LAFD as well, works a 56hr work week that is broken up into a 24 day corridor. [u]For LACoFD it bassically breaks down to 2, 12 day segments that go 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 4 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 2 off, repeat. This allows different days to cycle each month so you're not always working on the weekend or holiday as well as allowing for overtime opprotunities during your days off. It's pretty common for guys to just skip their 1 day off and work 3 straight and pick up the OT or an assignment at a different house. I've heard the 56hr schedule we use called various things with Modified Detroit being the most common. Remember, we use a 3 platoon rotation, the others can use as many as 4 platoons which is both a plus and a minus in many regards.

Sorry, maybe someone else on the board has experienced the other schedules, but I haven't.

I know here we do the 24/72 which is you work a full day then you are off for 3 full days.. Pretty simple. The only difference is at the Goulds station, that one is a 9-5 paid station, then outside of that, it's a volunteer deal. Works pretty good too, because call volume wouldn't warrant a fully paid dept, but there is too many, plus they fall under SJRFD jurisdiction to be only a volunteer.

I know here we do the 24/72 which is you work a full day then you are off for 3 full days.. Pretty simple. The only difference is at the Goulds station, that one is a 9-5 paid station, then outside of that, it's a volunteer deal. Works pretty good too, because call volume wouldn't warrant a fully paid dept, but there is too many, plus they fall under SJRFD jurisdiction to be only a volunteer.

Ah but is it really so simple? Having a 24/72 schedule puts you on a 48 hr work week which is 32hrs less a month of pay, in addition to that, you have a 4 platoon roster which is a major hit to depts budgets when everything from uniforms to health care and other expenses are factored in. You now have 4 people at captains pay, 4 people at Engineers pay, so on and so forth. That's why a lot of depts, and a lot of firefighters themselves like the 3 platoon roster. More pay, better chances for OT, and less of a hit to the budget when benefits and retirement and all of that is factored in.

The good thing about it is that you never have to stare at the strange color coded calendar trying to figure out if you're on a 2 day 4 day or 1 day off part.

Hey Mike, just a quick easy question for you this time. What sirens, if any do the LACoFD Lifeguards use?

Same as the County Fire, sheriff, lapd, chp, and everyone else. I can't think of a single user who doesn't use the Fed Sig SS or Touchmaster series. LA is *NOT* the place if you're into exciting lighting or sirens.

Nah I wasnt looking for excitement, looking for realism in hopes of releasing the Lifeguard mod for EM3 ported to EM4.

Trust me its not much better here, although I think the PD might be experimenting as one of the cruisers that patrols around here seems to be using a slightly different sounding siren then the other cruisers. They just picked up a few new vics about a month or two ago, perhaps its one of them. All the engines here use Fed Q(aside from some of the volunteer township departments which use a few various sirens, Ambos use a Touchmaster, and I cant recall what pd,sd,and state use at the moment. Actually have no clue what the state boys use as its rare to see them code 3 in the city.

Nah I wasnt looking for excitement, looking for realism in hopes of releasing the Lifeguard mod for EM3 ported to EM4.

Trust me its not much better here, although I think the PD might be experimenting as one of the cruisers that patrols around here seems to be using a slightly different sounding siren then the other cruisers. They just picked up a few new vics about a month or two ago, perhaps its one of them. All the engines here use Fed Q(aside from some of the volunteer township departments which use a few various sirens, Ambos use a Touchmaster, and I cant recall what pd,sd,and state use at the moment. Actually have no clue what the state boys use as its rare to see them code 3 in the city.

Just remember, LACoFD lifeguards no longer uses those trucks or anything like it anymore. They were donated by Nissan and they all went back when Ford Escape Hybrids were donated.