MikeyPI

Emergency Questions

I have a question what is the equipment a police officer Caries with him on himself.

Depends on the country..

A typical police officer, dependent on duties may carry various equipment on their duty belt, to assist them in performing their duties.

The equipment carried typically includes some or all of the following (varies from country to country):

* Helmet/flat cap

* Handgun

* Spare ammunition

* body armor

* Radio or communications equipment and PDA.

* night stick/truncheon/baton.

* Restraints: handcuffs or Plasticuffs

* Notebook for recording incident information, taking down statements, etc

* Pencil or pen

* pepper spray, PAVA Spray or CS gas

* sidearm and tasers (in jurisdictions/countries where police are armed)

* Badge, Warrant card, or ID

* Evidence bags

* Flashlights

* Hi-visibility jacket or vest (doubles as a waterproof garment)

* latex gloves

can someone tell me what an FIU is? its a fire dept vehicle and im wondering what it does usually, what it usually carries in equipment, what kinds of personell ride in it, etc.

LACoFD uses FIU for Fire Investigation Unit and every time I've seen that acronym used elsewhere, it's always been for the same. Usually staffed by the arson investigators or accelerant detection K9s.

Mike

Ok i have a SCUBA license well i want to apply as a FBI Diver i looked on the page and i cant finde it anyone know where you apply for it.

I was in the Navy if thats anything

I bet you would have to apply to the FBI Training School. Then you have to do the basic training like every FBI agent. Then they will subclass you to different training classes like being a driver... You can't go in right as a driver without FBI training or law enforcement training.

Guest KingNikan

Well i knew that. I just came to ask because on the apply FBI job page the even had teh HRT but not the Dive Team wich was a suprise. Well i might go apply at the loval police department

Well i knew that. I just came to ask because on the apply FBI job page the even had teh HRT but not the Dive Team wich was a suprise. Well i might go apply at the loval police department

Better off seeing if you can be a State Diver Team... If you live a area where a Diver team is not needed. Some times the State will do it for locals... But if you live in New York City? Then you might able to find a job there.

You can see you can help your buddies the Coast Guard. :P

Depends on the country..

A typical police officer, dependent on duties may carry various equipment on their duty belt, to assist them in performing their duties.

The equipment carried typically includes some or all of the following (varies from country to country):

* Helmet/flat cap

* Handgun

* Spare ammunition

* body armor

* Radio or communications equipment and PDA.

* night stick/truncheon/baton.

* Restraints: handcuffs or Plasticuffs

* Notebook for recording incident information, taking down statements, etc

* Pencil or pen

* pepper spray, PAVA Spray or CS gas

* sidearm and tasers (in jurisdictions/countries where police are armed)

* Badge, Warrant card, or ID

* Evidence bags

* Flashlights

* Hi-visibility jacket or vest (doubles as a waterproof garment)

* latex gloves

For example here in Italy the gloves are in leather they don't wear helmets, the handcuffs are in steel, the notebook is inside the patrol car ecc... it depends from the country as thossi69 said

not always i dont think. correct me if im wrong

99% of the time the color represents the rank of the person wearing it, at least in the U.S., I don't know about other countries.

Yellow- Used on the west coast as the normal firefighter color, used on the east coast as either junoir firefighter or explorer, but some departments use them as firefighter helmet color.

Black- don't know if it's really used on the west coast, used mainly on the east coast to symbolize the rank of firefighter.

Red- again, don't know if it's really used on the west coast, on the east coast it primarily symbolizes a company officer. ex: Lieutenant of Engine 23, Captain of Truck 45.

Aqua: rarley seen, used on the east coast to symbolize saftey officers.

White: Used almost everywhere to designate a cheif at any level, ie: battalion, division, assistant...

Also, some departmentshave all black helmets up to the rank of cheif with the sheilds symbolizing rank. Here's how the FDNY does it.

Red Sheild with Firefighters name written on it: Probationary firefighter.

Black Sheild with colored square and number: color is for the type of company, and the number is the company's number.

Black: Engine, Red: Truck , Light Blue: Rescue, Yellow: Squad

White Sheild with Colored Number: Lieutenant or captain of a company color of the number represents the type of the company and the number is the companies number.

This topic was moved since it had nothing to do with the LA Mod and was a general emergency service question.

Why do some departments use black turnout or black helmets? Is there a reason behind it?

The simple reason is tradition. Many fire departments go back long before the days of nomex, plastic, and the Reciprocating engine, and many of the differences you see between departments relies on hundreds of years of their specific tradition. Because many departments were local companies made up of the people in the neighborhood, the fire service in America has always been very insular and tied very closely to the citizens they protect.

There is great pride in today's firefighters in the accomplishments, achievements, and efforts of those who came before us. The black helmet you are referring to I'm assuming is the traditional leather new yorker style that has been in use since the 1800s and is credited to Gratacap, who was a New York City Firefighter and luggage maker during that time. Many departments still use or allow the use of Leather helmets or similarly styled ones, but they are not suited for every clime and region. Here in Southern California, those who have gone to it usually switch back to the lighter styles because of the weather out here just doesn't work well with having a very heavy piece of dark leather sitting on your head for extended periods of time. But not everyone does, and departments like LACoFD allow the use a traditional style helmet if the member wants to wear one.

In regards to some of the other comments regarding rank. With modern style helmets, rank can and usually is, denoted by color of the helmet. With the traditional style, rank is usually denoted by the color of the tetrahedrons attached to the helmet while the helmet remains black for all ranks. Some other makers, like Cairns N6A can be ordered in various colors but that is less common.

Every dept. is different, every one gets to choose whatever they want and to do things how ever they want and it almost always falls back on one word... Tradition.

in my department black gear signifys probationary or Junior firefighters...

Tan is a firefighter

Standard helmet is the Carins 1010

Yellow-Junior

Black- with a Yellow Helmet front is a Probationary

Black... with a normal helmet front is a firefighter

Red is Captains

White is Chiefs

Mike, I noticed in your pics that the LAPD mounted officers aren't wearing helmets. Is this just because they were at the Air Heros Show, or do they not wear helmets when they ride at all? I know that it's not against the law out west where you are, but after riding for 10 years, I know I wouldn't ride a horse in a busy city without a helmet, even if I didn't have to wear a helmet.

Mike, I noticed in your pics that the LAPD mounted officers aren't wearing helmets. Is this just because they were at the Air Heros Show, or do they not wear helmets when they ride at all? I know that it's not against the law out west where you are, but after riding for 10 years, I know I wouldn't ride a horse in a busy city without a helmet, even if I didn't have to wear a helmet.

I am not sure re: riot control duty, but for all other duties, they ride with the cowboy/cavalry hat. LASD rides with motorcycle-ish riding helmets from what i've seen.

Mike

I am not sure re: riot control duty, but for all other duties, they ride with the cowboy/cavalry hat. LASD rides with motorcycle-ish riding helmets from what i've seen.

Mike

I'm guessing from what you said, LASD wears this type of helmet

joinnypd11-2002.jpg

Thanks for the anwser though, I guess it depends on wether you usualy wear a helmet when you ride whenever.

I'm guessing from what you said, LASD wears this type of helmet

Thanks for the anwser though, I guess it depends on wether you usualy wear a helmet when you ride whenever.

No idea to be honest, Horses and I have never been on the best of terms. Here is an image of the LASD unit (NOT MY IMAGE)

2157118341_2d12c9fa00_b.jpg

i have alwayxs wondered why horses and not the water canon trucks of death, they last longer and are much more protectioning, and scary :)

the guy farthest to the left has a mike on his helmet like the motorcycle officers now that is cool but why don't they use there raidos on there shirts?:police:

i have alwayxs wondered why horses and not the water canon trucks of death, they last longer and are much more protectioning, and scary :)

I think in general it's just because horses are a traditional and still very effective means of crowd control. As a hobby I'm a Civil War reenactor, and I'll tell you a line of mounted men coming at you at any speed is pretty terrifying. Plus the horses are specially trained, they won't panic and can deal with tight places, which means you can create a solid and immovable wall.

So , I think it really is more just the fact that people still have that subconscious reaction to get out of the way of the horse...So it makes a good tool of intimidation, also horses are less likely to cause injury than a water cannon as they simply move a person aside not knock them off of their feet.

The horses also have a lot of tradition behind them in most departments. The Pennsylvania State Police when formed were an exclusively mounted police force. Their numbers were small so they focused heavily and commanding a presence. Their uniforms and horse were all black, and I believe there was also a height requirement for the horse and officer. They earned the nickname of "The Black Hussars" from Hungarian immigrants. There also accounts of one or two officers breaking up large riots of 40-100 people. I think the largest amount officers used at any early mine strike or riot was no more than 20 officers on horse back, and they managed to disperse and control crowds into the 1,000's.

In terms of the mics, since you are potentially being used in riot situations you'd want it to be where it couldn't be ripped off.

Hey Mike, just reading the post before that one with the LAPD....

Who is busier the FDNY or The LAFD( or possibly LACoFD)

~Cheers

Newfoundking

FDNY hands down, but then again it's like comparing apples to oranges:

FDNY # of Sworn Personnel: 14,000+

LAFD # of Sworn Personnel: 3,500+

FDNY # of Stations: 240+

LAFD # of Stations: 106

New York Population: 8,000,000+

Los Angeles Population: 3,800,000+

They also have a lot of older construction then LA city does since many of our buildings have been retrofitted/replaced due to earthquakes and other safety concerns.