Brandon Johnson

Where are all the finished and realeased mods for em4/911 frist responders

This is why we need a forum for the completed mods and WIP mods. I am guessing there is like 10 mods completed and completed/maintained but they are buried in a clutter of WIP mods topics that will never be finished for whatever reason. Just being realistic.

+1, active, released and work in prog

That would be a really good idea to have separate forums for completed and WIP mods. That way, we could sort whats done and what isn't. Personally, the tagging system on the mods forum should be improved. Color coding perhaps. WIP is yellow, Released is green and Stopped is red.

That would be a really good idea to have separate forums for completed and WIP mods. That way, we could sort whats done and what isn't. Personally, the tagging system on the mods forum should be improved. Color coding perhaps. WIP is yellow, Released is green and Stopped is red.

Yep thats a good shout, someone should bring this up at our next town hall meeting, but yeah good idea :) this has got way off topic but it's pretty constructive still haha

No it wouldnt stop people breaking the rules, those who ask about when something will be released will continue to do so regardless to what we put them down as with pretty colors/labels.  The reality of it is it just adds more work to the staff of the site monitoring who's stuff is done, ensuring they are in the groupset they belong...  The important part is that the people know how to list their projects and even with a task as simple as that we still have to regularly move them to the proper locations for them..  The kinder developers list them as <WIP> or <RELEASED> in the title and update the first post of a topic with pertinent information, sadly most people do not keep up with that resulting in it not being an accepted norm to look there for the information people want, perhaps if people did it would make the topics easier to follow.

After all how hard is it to edit your first post, then post a current post that says updated information available, see the first post of the topic..

Previously we had a released Mods forum, and then a modding and WIP and help forum merged together. Over time people started taking WIP that were near completion and posting them in the Mods section, and it slowly increased to the point where everyone was posting mod stuff in the Mods forum, and the modding and mod help forum just became modding help, because people weren't using it anyways. 

We have a downloads section, which has a showcase of all the mods this site hosts, and every member here has the ability to release their mods to this database, pending that it's within the TOS to release it. I know I check the queue daily, and sometimes more, to make sure mods waiting to be released are being released. The idea of making yet another forum, just to place released projects in is kinda foolish for several reasons, so far as I'm concerned. 

1. All mods that are in the mods forum have a Released tag or Work in Progress. Putting mods in a WIP forum won't really change people's stupidity inability to read tags. 
  2. There's a downloads database that hosts the mods that have been released, and it's pretty functional.
  3. Showcase forums I've seen are generally on sites that release one model at a time type thing, and are not running Invision Power Boards, which provides a nice downloads centre. 

As far as I'm concerned, the issue of WIP vs Released and two separate forums is unnecessary and creating unneeded work. The problem of people asking release dates has been almost nonexistent recently, and insomuch as people who are unable to tell if a mod with a WIP tag is released or not, a special forum for them isn't going to make things any different. As a great man once said, you build something idiot proof, they're just gonna make a better idiot.

Newfoundking, CBS, QC, NL, MD, FL

EMP Staff

Executive Member, Emergency Planet Board of Uselessness. 

EDIT: Mikey just raised a good point to me: What about Mods that have a release but are still developing... Two topics? As if that won't get confusing

A general response to Mikey and NFK, I agree it will not stop the rule breaking! With out a doubt, but it may cut down SOME. If it cuts down SOME then perhaps that evens out the supposed increase work load. My suggestion was based around the idea that the Mods[COMPLETE] forum would be restricted so no one can start threads there. Only once a working version is released will a staff move it. If that is to much work load, hire(so to speak) some one who is very active on the forum. Give them limited mod powers of moving threads only. Even some of the less mature members here could surely handle such a task.

Just because it did not work before, does not mean it will fail this time. Those of us who have been around a few years know how much the member base has changed over the years. Modders and members come and go bringing new dynamics to the forum.

A general response to Mikey and NFK, I agree it will not stop the rule breaking! With out a doubt, but it may cut down SOME. If it cuts down SOME then perhaps that evens out the supposed increase work load. My suggestion was based around the idea that the Mods[COMPLETE] forum would be restricted so no one can start threads there. Only once a working version is released will a staff move it. If that is to much work load, hire(so to speak) some one who is very active on the forum. Give them limited mod powers of moving threads only. Even some of the less mature members here could surely handle such a task.

Just because it did not work before, does not mean it will fail this time. Those of us who have been around a few years know how much the member base has changed over the years. Modders and members come and go bringing new dynamics to the forum.

Again +1

Well I help run a site with about 23K members and about 5K active, so I know exactly how Mikey and NFK feel. Hell soem of the rule breakers probably don;t care. Some are trolls looking to get a rise out of some one, some are just going to post that and get in trouble hopping for a response anyways. I have admined many forums over the years and soaked in knowledge from many webmaster the same way I really like to soak in knowledge when the Elite Modders tell me how things work or why something doesn't work and so forth! Jack of all trades, master of none is my slogan. Might not be the best, but I like to soak in a wide range of knowledge.

Well the problem unlike other games with this one is that for the most part a mod is never really finished till someone abandons it, even then someone else usually takes it over... Most games you've got simple 1 timer releases, like hey look i made a new car model... Yippie everyone is happy and any off-shoots of said object are considered addons in of themselves... With this game you're doing alot of things to make a functioning mod, and then you're probrably going to have updates/upgrades to that released version.. So what would we end up doing? having one topic in a released forum and another in the WIP?   That just would confuse those who are legitimately confused even more than they already are... The ones who don't care wouldnt care anyway.

In reality we don't want to have to overlord everything on this site, so what I've suggested to modders is to put in their topic titles the status of their modification, in the first post update that with pertinent information, and instead of posting it all at the trailing end of the topic where comments and things like that are, put in something as simple as Update today! see first post(s) that they are running... Far simpler to do that than to have to sift through 20 pages, regardless of if it's a WIP or released to find out wtf is going on with a mod. 

For ex:

La Mod V.6.66 <Released> Final

for a WIP but released

LA Mod V.6.66 <Released> WIP V.6.61

for a total WIP

LA Mod V1.0 <WIP>

If they can't understand that, then we aint going to be able to help them understand better with anything more.....  If the first post(s) were the norm and general rule of thumb to look for pertinent info on a mod, people would simply check P1 for the information that they want to see, instead of sifting 20-30 pages for the occasional post from the actual devs.

Just my thoughts, but as workload goes, with this game we don't want to have to be overlording and mod required to do everything on the forum, thus we leave it open and as such people by design or ignorance clutter the forums, unless we locked out most of the forum, it would continue to happen, and if we locked out the forum people would have to come through us to do pretty much anything.. It just isnt practical.