Xandarb

Sim city anyone?

Hello!

Yesterday a new SimCity was launched and it looks pretty cool. It's very multiplayer friendly and looks like lots of fun. I remember the good old days of SimCity 2000 and 3000 and I am thinking about getting this one. (edit: I pre-ordered since I wrote this :)) It looks much simpler and more complex at the same time and the main difference to other SimCity games is that this one is all about multiplayer and it's region-based. The cities are medium sized but they are all in a region, and it's all about cooperation between these cities. Cities in the region specializes in different things and work together for the ultimate region, and lend out a helping hand with resources, firetrucks etc.

simcityfinalpc1boxart_160h.jpg

Did anyone buy this already? Is it any good?

Check this out! Greg Miller from IGN plays around in SimCity and explains the basics.

ign.com

Edited by Xandarb

Yeah that is a big minus. It's there for the piracy I guess. Someone will crack it anyways, they just mess with their paying cuatomers :(. I strongly dislike this

Well, I went ahead and preordered it and will pick it up tomorrow when the Europe release is (7th). The chick that sold it to me laughed when I preordered the day before launch. XD I did feel a little silly. ;)

So I have to wait a few more days ^^

Same :(

I'm picking up my pre-order after work on Saturday. Really looking forward to it.

I played the beta for a few days last month. It was really good fun. I love how you can expand buildings to make them more effective.

ill be getting it soon....once i get a new gaming PC

ill get it once i get a new gaming PC but from the vids i see it looks great!

Short term memory, huh? :laugh:

I've pre-ordered it, hopefully getting it tomorrow. Having to be online all the time is very annoying, especially since it'll be cracked within a month and, like mentioned earlier, it just annoys the paying customers.

I would hold off buying it till ea get there act together. They had nothing but server issuess today. It seem there server running on 486 machine and the it staff is man by idiots

Give them a break. Thousands of people are trying to do the same thing at once on their servers. Got to be some major headaches in EA right now.

It's called offline gaming. Storing saved games on that hefty 1 terabyte hard disk that every computer has these days, instead of treating each and every gamer like a common thief who has to be tethered to a remote server to play the game that he legally purchased.

This trend should be discouraged by not purchasing games that resort to such despicable methods. But of course, it's not happening... people open their wallets and hand large wads of their hard-earned cash to EA to get a "Server not found" error in return. And maybe 2 or 3 years from now - perhaps even less - EA decides it's not profitable to leave servers online for that game anymore, and one day you log in only to get a message that says "This game is no longer available, thanks for playing!" - or "Time to upgrade to Sim City 2! - that'll be another 50 bucks please!"

I was discussing this with a colleague today. 10 years after its release, Sim City 4 is still alive and well, with a thriving modding community. We agreed that it most certainly won't be the case with the new Sim City, 10 years from now.

This is my biggest problem with the new sim city. I preordered it long before I knew anything other than it was the next Sim City. That was fine and Dandy. Fast forward to Closed Beta. That was a little buggy, as betas are supposed to be, but it was a generally enjoyable experience. Fast forward one month to yesterday. I pick up my game, and it installs on my computer. Here's where the problems start. I did this around 10:00AM. It wasn't until about 10:00PM that I was able to actually get in and play, between "server down" or something to that effect and Tutorial just flat out not loading.

Today I had a much nicer experience with it, not as many problems, but still, I'm far from the level of enjoyment I was with Sim City 4. I've decided already that next time I get a server down or whatever message, I'll be getting a full refund. Don't care who from, but I'll be getting my $67.23 back.

Online gaming is cool and dandy, and yeah, I love the new features, like playing with other people, but knowing that I can ONLY play if someone else's computer is on and working, that makes me want to forfeit the game immediately. I understand the need for copy protection, but they do not seem to understand that the only way to effectively put an end to piracy is also the best way to ensure that you stop selling copies of your game as well...

Honestly, yes it's a good game, but I don't recommend it to anyone. It's full of too many problems that are being created because they just don't trust us. and are too greedy to look at any other alternative

Short term memory, huh? :laugh:

I've pre-ordered it, hopefully getting it tomorrow. Having to be online all the time is very annoying, especially since it'll be cracked within a month and, like mentioned earlier, it just annoys the paying customers.

haha didnt notice that lol must be short term ha!

Give them a break. Thousands of people are trying to do the same thing at once on their servers. Got to be some major headaches in EA right now.

No break for the moorons at ea. THEY chose to make the game online only. They chose the launch the game with like 4 servers. Now they have 8. They chose not to have people with any it skill working and managing there servers.

Further more they know how many games they sold via pre order. they should know how much bandwidth each game needs to connect. They should have the capacity. If i had que of 1 and could play that would be ok. BUt I have not been able to log in since 7am yesterday. I am not the only person. Everyone I know who bought is unable to play. Or they game data gets losts and they have to start over. Bottom line EA messed up big time. They a bunch of amatures gamer developers and 100% Moorons

If you going to claim online all the time is for benfit for the customer. YOu can damn well ensure you have enough servers to handle the load. I wait 10 years to play a new sim city game. I am still waiting to play. In the last two days I gotten in for less then 4 hours. Oh those were a fun 4 hours. But since then I can not log in. Even when the server says it available.

EA Deservers all the bad press and outrage they get. Even more so when if you request a refund of your money because you can not play the game because those idiots do not have enough servers they want to ban your from all account and not give you a refund.

http://techreviewsan...-asked-for-one/

Nope sorry. EA is bunch of moorons. DO NOT BUY this game.

Hey! I'll have to say, this game is awesome! It's really good, advanced but still quite easy to hop in to. I really, really like this game and I love the multiplayer idea.

Although, I have been home for 6 hours and been able to play for two. EAs servers are down, full or not responding. All of them. *sigh*, well, there are loads of people who have this problem and that is probably the reason for the (user) metacritic score of 1.9. Now that is a really, really bad score. My friend who has been trying to get online for 5 hours hasn't gotten to play at all. I did get my homework done though ;).

I am sorry to report that this is an awesome game, but I would recommend you NOT TO BUY THIS GAME until the servers and all the problems have been sorted out!

I am sorry to report that this is an awesome game, but I would recommend you NOT TO BUY THIS GAME until the servers and all the problems have been sorted out!

Personally, I would recommend not to buy this game unless EA backs out of the online-only model by releasing a patch that allows to play and store game data offline.

Personally, I would recommend not to buy this game unless EA backs out of the online-only model by releasing a patch that allows to play and store game data offline.

Yeah, that is a good point but EA is not going to do that. It's sad that they destroy a really promising game with these kinds of bs.

I stand by my earlier statement. This game is a great game, probably one of the better ones since they started, but the biggest problem lies in the execution. Right now, there is only one server marked as available, that being East Europe 2. It won't let me in though. I can join a cue for another server, waiting 20 minutes before it'll check to see if there is room for me, and then it'll repeat that process apparently every three minutes thereafter, or I can take my chances with another server, where apparently none of my saved cities will be, meaning I've got to start over again.

This would be an amazing game had they either A offered offline play, or even still B prepared their servers better. They didn't have enough server load to handle the preorders, let alone the other sales. You cannot tell me that EA did not have a figure for what they thought they'd sell on the first day of release. Let's look at this scenario:

they had sold 7 million Preorders. their marketing department said, okay, expect another 5 million on day one of the release, and another 5 when the rest of the world gets it. That means they need to be able to support 17 million players within the first two days. Now let's pretend that everyone is on the game at the same time, which is a likely occurrence, at least for the first few days. Let's start by allocating server places for 20 million for the first few weeks. This allows you to be prepared for initial sales, and then the rest that follow. Once the game has been out for a little while, you can scale it back to say only support 15 million at a time, even when 25 million own the game (because more than likely people are going to roll back their playing after the first little while).

The problem lies with them being FAR from prepared for this. It's like they said, okay, we've got 7 million preorders, so we'll get 6 million spots. No one that didn't preorder would buy it, duh! Plus, there's no way everyone who preordered is gonna be on at the same time on the first day, that's just silly!

Thanks EA, really appreciate it.

My resolution is to keep my Sim City game, deal with the frustrations until it gets to the point where I have in excess of 24 hours in which I cannot play the game, and then get a full refund (I have my ways.) As for every other game EA will ever release, I won't be paying for it. They robbed me once, shame on them, if I let them do it twice, shame on me.