rafaelmfernandez

Personal Emergency Lights & Sirens ?

Hey guys whats up? I have a question. I used to volunteer at the firehouse 5 minutes away from my house but always went in my dads truck when I got tones on the beeper. Id have to wait at intersections etc but when I start volunteering again by then I will have my own car. Im getting either a Ford excursion 2011, GMC, or a chevrolet impala. With these im looking to have a simple LED or 2 on the windshield letting people know im trying to get somewhere and having a siren. Ive been looking through alot and most of the stuff is really expensive but is crucial. First of all: if the police saw me with lights would they pull me over? I just want to be sure before I start volunteering again

Here is a straight-forward suggestion - Talk to the Fire Chief, or contact your local Motor Vehicle's office and ask about the vehicle code.

If you do not have proper official creditionals to operate a vehicle equipped with lights and sirens, it is considered, by law, impersonating and a felonly. Refrain from installing any emergency products in your vehicle, until you are within legal grounds. It is not against the law to own such products, as it is your own private property, but it is against the law to operate it on public roads. You'll also be a police magnet, as officers will be curious as of why you have LED emergency products on-board in your vehicle. Too much attention drawn upon yourself.

I just took the liberty of looking up your state, and in your state, you are required a light certificate to run any lights. A siren, well that may be very well out of the question. You must get a form signed by your chief and then you can apply for said certificate, which much be displayed in the front window, and the color dictates the lights you can run.

So no, you can't get them until you are with a department, and even then, you need the chief to sign a permission slip, and then you can apply for the lights. Some departments, even if state law says yes, they say no, and then you don't get one, as the state wants proof you're legit in your request.

I think , (natioanlly, USA) You need a flap above your front license plate saying which dept you're from. Like this:

3711580752_0b30e93365_z.jpg

If it's not a mandatory piece, these are easier to see than a paper on the dash, so the police know you're not impersonating a cop/ff. And then Newfoundking's lights and sirens regulations.

Some states have special light colors for voluntary ff's, like New York's Color, (well, it was) blue, That's why There was no New York Police/Fire with Blue lights until recently

Well I looked up the OP's IP range, and gave out the state laws regarding that. Nothing seemed to be cited about the licence plate flap. The cops will be able to tell easily enough without having to check the window though.

A. Is there some kinda fire call on the go at this time?

B. Is the fire department in that direction?

C. Do they meet the light regulations (many places have MAJOR restrictions on what you can put, so whackers can't impersonate as easily)

Some states have special light colors for voluntary ff's, like New York's Color, (well, it was) blue, That's why There was no New York Police/Fire with Blue lights until recently

Off topic, a little, but Volly ffs still use Blue, Cops can't unless state trooper, Fire, yes.

90. 7E MGL Depending on where you live the chief of Police or sheriff can give you permission, or a blue light Permit from the State is needed, to operator emergency lights in Massachusetts is a fine only becomes a criminal offenses if used in the act of a crime. I hope this helps you good luck Rafael. Always remember when using blue lights or emergency lights, use caution and due regard for public safety. Emergency lights are not a toy some drivers panic when you active your lights be careful.

Where i live, most of the cops hear the fire dept get tones out and we also have a siren that goes off every time the tones drop. They expect to see people flying through to get to the station. Most of the people on my department have a plate on the front of their car and they also have lights. Now we have to take EVOC to get our certification to run lights and sirens. If we have lights in our vehicle by law we have to have a siren in the vehicle but dont have to use it. It just has to be there. Now i would definitely talk to your chief about maybe your department having a class for EVOC (Emergency vehicle operation course). This is just my state and we are suppsed to have a class soon for it i think. In the mean time you shouldnt get pulled over for having lights in your car by the police. If you dont even have lights turn your hazards on and use the horn. It works better than nothing. As for buying lights and sirens if you dont want to buy one from a maker site go to ebay. They have all sorts of lights there. If you do end up getting lights post a vid on how they look!

In CA, you can have amber lights, but those mean absolutely squat. Run a red with ambers in your car, Highway Patrol will roast you over a fire... Here you need a steady red light and siren for you to be an emergency vehicle, and if you own that and use it without a badge, youre kinda porked. The only exception is usually out of state emergency vehicles or military or gov. California is a strange place...