Considering Developing A New Game

What Should I do?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Go for it I would buy it
    • Maybe, It depends on what its like
    • I just don't feel that you should wast your time
    • Na, Its to much
  2. 2. If I were to do one of the concepts listed which would you like to see?

• So For the MMORPG of the Emergency Services
    • So For the Dispatcher Game
    • I Have a concept of my own you should consider

Hi Everyone,

Well I feel as if I have reached a stage in my last fewprojects that I feel as if I am ready to start considering this a little moreseriously. Although I am not sure exactly what everyone would want if I dothis. So to get to the point the last few months I have working on severaldifferent concepts of video games that I would consider developing. I have donequite a bit of research into the whole world of game development and though Iwill say I am for sure a novice at it I feel that I want to try it out and takeif for a spin. The games that I am considering would be extremely low budget sodon't expect a GTA but on the same note I will attempt to put in as much detailand effort in as I can. I will say that I closed the Advanced Game play Modbecause I did not like the limitations set by Emergency 4 and its enginetrinity. After months practicing several computer languages including C++, C,C#, Javascript, and PHP as well testing out many various game engines (UDK,Unity, Blitz3d, Hero Engine, Torque, Leadwerks, Panda3d even Cry engine) Ithink I have found the right grove .

So here are the two concepts so far that I have thought of...

CONCEPT 1: A MMORPG of the Emergency Services- The gameconcept would take place in a fictitious 3D city full of emergencies via an webbrowser platform (would include support for chrome, IE explore, Safari, Firefoxusing potentially flash or Unity3d Web player). Players would work at firestations thought the city in which they would respond to calls alongside theirfellow gamers and would work together to accomplish the tasks required tohandle particular emergency situations. There would be a wide range of eventsthat would take place within the city including Fires, Collapses, Bioterrorismand Hazmat events, Technical rescue operations, vehicle accidents, Medicalemergencies and all the other events the FD faces off with day to day. Eachplayer would have a rank and would have different responsibilities within theirrank much like a real fire department. Each player will also be assigned tocompanies and divisions within the city and can have the ability to work theirway up there rank. Now this games development I am unsure of the amount of timedevelopment will take or if it will ever get to be released (for some reason).But what I can tell you is it will put you in the boots of emergency personaland let you experience just a glimpse of what it would be like. For firstrelease plans would mainly focus on fires, Medical calls, and car accidentssince they are typically most conman type of events. As well the city wouldexpand as the population of the game does.

CONCEPT 2: A Dispatcher Game- Shorter time of developmentwhich would take about 3-6 months depending on how I go about it and willprobably a 2d game. It would be a standalone based platform for PC as well asMac with the potential for an android and iPhone app release to their marketsas well. The game would put you in the hot seat of a 911 dispatcher. Theobjective for the player will be to mange emergency assets as well as answer911 calls and setup the best approach for the the event to be completed. Userswould be in charge of deploying units for calls, gathering information tosuccessfully complete the calls and as well assisting emergency personnel muchlike a real dispatcher would. This will have the potential for simplifiedmodifiability. I am considering some sort of free-play mode as well as missionbased with several 2d maps similar to the style of a typical GPS map.

Either way the Game engine I have decide to go about usingwill most likely be Unity®. I have been toying around with it since aboutFebruary of 2011 and feel comfortable with it. As well both concepts willprobably be proprietary based due to the investments of personal time as wellmoney. Although I will donate reasonable partitions of earnings to a charity ofsome sort pertaining to the subject of the game. On top of that prices for thegame I assure you will be quite reasonable whether they are subscription basedor one time purchases (I don't like screwing people over and being greedy, Itry to be fair if not cheaper than anyone else)

More details on all that will come later. Now though I wouldlike to hear your thought and Ideas pertaining to the subject and whether ornot I should bother with it.

In the Following Post Bellow I will post some media of thepotential projects I have been working on and considering making into a game(these are nowhere near final)

Thanks for your input,

B2Bomber

(P.S. all you insiders feel free to talk about it)

MEDIA CONTENT HOLDER. smile.gif

First Group of shots. My Most Recent Project for the MMORPG is the physics building creator that I was going to release publicly to allow people to design building for the map that would be used for advanced simulations. Scripters this may sound crazy but I am working on a special rendering system along side it to make the game very dynamic and only render what has to be in particular stages of time. the tool would be linked to a storage server and would be web based. anyway so here are some shots.

post-6840-0-25966400-1304457803_thumb.jp

post-6840-0-72621600-1304457801_thumb.jp

post-6840-0-57261300-1304457802_thumb.jp

(would allow for different construction types such as stick frame, cinder block, steel, and steel and concrete. Plans for it to be finished hopefully by end of June if I continue it. Its about 30% done right now. Just about to start modeling 3d components such as walls, beams and other items that would be utilized in it)

following its release then I would begin development on actual MMORPG.

Some concept low poly 3D model shots for the MMPRPG... (most are not yet finished)

These following Photos where Done with blitz3d which is based of direct x7 so they are really crappy looking models in these photos. I Will be working with Direct X9 at least (which Direct X11 is the latest and greatest the last time I check but 10 as far as I know is most stable and it takes a lot of work to upgrade anyway so why bother)

post-6840-0-08712800-1304458534_thumb.jp

post-6840-0-30960200-1304458586_thumb.jp

post-6840-0-08144400-1304458539_thumb.jp

post-6840-0-53162400-1304458542_thumb.jp

post-6840-0-81959600-1304458544_thumb.jp

Recent Concept of the dispatcher game...

post-6840-0-24021500-1304458646_thumb.jp

post-6840-0-12300900-1304458651_thumb.jp

post-6840-0-59097400-1304458668_thumb.jp

More to come...

Yes, Technically the vehicles would look American/Canadian resembling the manufacturing companies in the USA and NFPA standard components. If I do go with it the first few months or so the map will only have Squad Ambulances, Engines, Battalion Cars and Ladders (possible to have variations ie Tractor Drawn, Bucket, and water-tower). Though threw later updates and extensions to they system that I will have to add such as collapse rescue and hazmat events then I will add more companies to the map with some specialized groups. If I continue on with the Building creator development which so far I still plan to, I would like to release that and let you the gamers design physics buildings in which will be found in the map. I want every single building to be walkable and I plan to do so without causing much lag with a special algorithm I am writing. So probably its a little more descriptive than you would want it to be but well just more info.

P.S. those physics building will account for about 75% of the map so once I have the system for development of them thats 3/4 of the work that will have to be done to the map. then its all scripts for controlling the game environment and setting up all the controls and systems that will need to be put in play. Although that will still take a lot of time.

If you do actually follow through with this, I'll offer my advice along the way, I've worked with developing a few games before, so I know my stuff, but make sure you know when you set out how much work it is, not that I'm doubting you, but it isn't an easy task, as there is a LOT of work to put to this.

Oh and to answer the signature

Paper is a tenth of a millimeter on average. Will Jobs try to get a phone smaller? Yes, will it do much? No, but it will look cooler than every other phone out there.. Can't do much, but it can fit in a letter envelope and get send with standard postage ;) Neat party trick (youtube macbook air parody ad)

If you do actually follow through with this, I'll offer my advice along the way, I've worked with developing a few games before, so I know my stuff, but make sure you know when you set out how much work it is, not that I'm doubting you, but it isn't an easy task, as there is a LOT of work to put to this.

Oh and to answer the signature

Paper is a tenth of a millimeter on average. Will Jobs try to get a phone smaller? Yes, will it do much? No, but it will look cooler than every other phone out there.. Can't do much, but it can fit in a letter envelope and get send with standard postage ;) Neat party trick (youtube macbook air parody ad)

Like I said I have spent last few months researching in depth. Years of time it will probably take to do it so what I have decided to do is just take it bite by bite, step by step and see how things turn out. These next few weeks I will be Jam Pack busy for the rest of May although for June - September I will have quite a bit of time to work on it. It will hopefully give me enough time to start making a major dent in the project though and If I can get the building creator on the web so that you guys design the buildings that go into the map (High rises, single family homes, strip-malls, stores, factories and really realistic any building you can think ). That will save me tons of time because I will only have to make special events happen once within components in the building (functional objects for users) and then just setting up the game environment. I will not make any promises yet but I will commit to working as hard as I can on it. Oh yea and I can totally agree with you about Steve and his phone. Have you seen the new flexible screens that they want to start producing. I think that those flex screens will be in one of his future devices someday. It will be then thin as paper.lach.gif

sounds amazing

Yep, Gizmo I am gonna need your knowledge of firefighting to make this possible.wink.gif

i love the first one!!! but, i wou;d like to see it made after the Los Angeles county fire dept. they have all the trucks you talk of wanting.

I would love to do that. I would love to set it up for NYC as well. Although the only issue with all that is all the copyrights and trademarks and such they have with there patches and logos. I would have to receive permission from basically the commissioners of the cities to use there logos and name within the game. Although one of the Key things that I want to do with the game is to set it up so that its exactly what the general public wants. So I will be setting up the infrastructure of the game based off ideas, poles and opinions that are suggested by people. I plan to set up competitions and such as well but I will have a lot more on it later. I was thinking about setting up the game to be open source as well but I am not quite sure how I would get all that to work yet since so far everyone wants the web based game. (security issues) Think of it as you all are the visionarys and I am the builder that takes the input and ties it all together.

Thing is with real life cities, they can send orders demanding you take off logos, areas, and the like, since they all are copyrighted.. I've seen people make models for mods for games, like GTA and Need For Speed from places like the OPP to NYPD get orders from the departments to cease and desist, as the logos are copyrighted and may not be reproduced without express written consent. Fictional cities allow three great uppers.. You can be creative with layout, and not need to be down on detail, you can include all sorts of emergency services and units to fit the needs of your game, and you don't need ot worry about letters from the city that are pissed off

Alright Dude, I'm do you still have the same AIM?

hey sorry for the delay. Yea I do but I have something that I have someone doing for me right now that I will PM you about. I will anounce this upcoming thing In a few weeks when it gets closer to be ready for release. (sorry everyone kind of wanted to inform you but cant exactly spill the beans yet. But I will have something coming)

hey sorry for the delay. Yea I do but I have something that I have someone doing for me right now that I will PM you about. I will anounce this upcoming thing In a few weeks when it gets closer to be ready for release. (sorry everyone kind of wanted to inform you but cant exactly spill the beans yet. But I will have something coming)

Alright well yeah shoot me a PM then, then also if you see me on aim let me know

I think this is a good idea but I don't know if anyone would pay for it seen as it's not popular. Like Newfoundking said you need to make a fictional city and fire department. It will make the designing process quicker. You might want to base most of the game on Rigs of Rods as this is how I imagine it to be like.

I am doing only a fictional city. Yea I have seen rigs or rods and its fun. I have tried to model my concept off it a little bit (crash wise).

I think this is a good idea but I don't know if anyone would pay for it seen as it's not popular. Like Newfoundking said you need to make a fictional city and fire department. It will make the designing process quicker. You might want to base most of the game on Rigs of Rods as this is how I imagine it to be like.

Hey I forgot to add this earlier. I wish I could but because the game is going to be a MMORPG it will require dedicated servers to manage the game. So it will have to be a pay to play system. I will try to make it to a minimal amount though. (SERVERS ARE LIKE $120 PER MONTH FOR PER DEDICATED SYSTEM)

Alright well yeah shoot me a PM then, then also if you see me on aim let me know

I will try to get to it today (sorry busy busy schedule)wacko.gif

I'd like to help! If I have the time, I could model some firetrucks for ya.

Yea I think I am a member of that forum. I saw your PM by the way.

So it will have to be a pay to play system. I will try to make it to a minimal amount though.

So I have to pay every time I log on or is it a monthly fee?

So I have to pay every time I log on or is it a monthly fee?

I cannot confirm anything yet. All I know it is it will be based off a standard euro price and then be converted into the different currencies. (sorry USA just more consumers in europe so far)

Probably though what I would like to do is a year by year setup. But idk how many years will be tied to what so I cant tell you that yet. It will depend on demand for the product. So far though it looks like there will have to be a lot of proving to do.

I like the idea, so it would be online game, no disk?

right now I am looking at an .exe that you would download from the net for free and login within the application and play the game within the app. Same will go with the building creator I will be releasing. you will buy the subscription for the game which will give you your username and password that you create to access the game(stores your stats and stuff to). The EXE will connect to the login server and once done with that I haven't entirely decided how how communications will be done by players in the MMORPG (playing the game) although I do know that it will be based with a Dedicated server to make and maintain connections and information between players. The game development will follow the development of this building creator which is maybe 30% done as of now. So I will have more for you on the game a bit later when I get there. The map will be based out of a city and because we are working with forces of destruction I want to try to simulate a bit those forces. For instance in emergency when things catch on fire you don't see a building burn away piece by piece you just see char marks and maybe a change in a model. With this I am working on trying to simulate a more realistic environmental without putting to much of a strain on your computers. (which by the way may all be calculated at the servers and sent to your computer) .

So in general though no disk and no request code. because the application will be free all you will need to do is buy your subscription and create your login. you can download the app to any Macintosh or Windows Computer platform that will support the technologies in the game (which will be determined later which versions of windows/mac can be used as well as all specs)

I like both ideas, I would like to see the dispatch game come out because that would be a good proving ground for your next project. The MMORPG I am to so crazy about the whole online part. This is just because I would prefer not to always have a web connection to have to play. I do understand though that it would probably be hard to then control a lot of people. But maybe you could do that like in furewere simulator. I also think it would be cool if when you got on you could pick to play as either EMS or Fire.

My Idea:

I also have had an idea for a game. Mine is where you start in a time like the 1900s with a small town and you slowly build your emergency services up as you town builds. You can upgrade trucks, hire volunteers or career firefighters. Get sheriffs and city officers, swat teams... kind of like Locomotion but for the emergency services. I just don't yet have the know how to develop something like that :(

right now I am looking at an .exe that you would download from the net for free and login within the application and play the game within the app. Same will go with the building creator I will be releasing. you will buy the subscription for the game which will give you your username and password that you create to access the game(stores your stats and stuff to). The EXE will connect to the login server and once done with that I haven't entirely decided how how communications will be done by players in the MMORPG (playing the game) although I do know that it will be based with a Dedicated server to make and maintain connections and information between players. The game development will follow the development of this building creator which is maybe 30% done as of now. So I will have more for you on the game a bit later when I get there. The map will be based out of a city and because we are working with forces of destruction I want to try to simulate a bit those forces. For instance in emergency when things catch on fire you don't see a building burn away piece by piece you just see char marks and maybe a change in a model. With this I am working on trying to simulate a more realistic environmental without putting to much of a strain on your computers. (which by the way may all be calculated at the servers and sent to your computer) .

So in general though no disk and no request code. because the application will be free all you will need to do is buy your subscription and create your login. you can download the app to any Macintosh or Windows Computer platform that will support the technologies in the game (which will be determined later which versions of windows/mac can be used as well as all specs)

So what about graphics? No super boxy graphics right? I'm hoping for good graphics. I know this is low budget, but with your skills I bet you can pull it off. ;)

I myself am all about quality and performance. So don't expect anything less than an average video game for a pc today at first. Yes this is extremely low budget production so it will have a it's cornyness/cheapness to it. Although the plan is to initially start out with one basic idea/ plan and then expand on it over time. There will be a lot more on that as I begin the actuall development of the game but for now as I am developing the tools that will be used to create it I can say that graphics as well as preformance are being taken into close consideration.