Stan

Spring Cleanup and restructuration

Hello!

We are going to perform a post and user cleanup in the comming weeks followed by a restructuration of the forums.

I, as admin am sometimes wondered where to search something and that's something that shouldn't happen so a good restructuration is really needed. If you have tips, ideas or wishes, please let me know

Regards,

Stan

Can think of something for [EN] Off Topic:

There's are several threads there that are locked, how about a system that auto deletes those threads in X days unless specified differently from a moderator/admin? Dunno if that's possible or not.

Maybe a system that also deletes inactive threads after X amount of months unless specified otherwise too, but I don't know if that would be good or not.

Obviously you'll get rid of alot of threads that died and never got deleted - Like The banner contest thread for the site before the server moved.

Also because there are now threads dedicated to certain things like weather, jokes and Youtube videos, there should really be no need for a new topic then (unless the topic has more content than just a joke or video.) Maybe this should be enforced? It will keep the section cleaner.

A slightly different suggestion: can't a restriction on the size of signatures be imposed? The sigs from some users are simply HUGE :sorrysign:

Furthermore: a big cleanup on game issues. Now, solutions are often mentioned 20 times and questions are repeated 50 times. Put the new issues and their answers in general topics, so people can look there before posting (which won't mean they will do that, but you can only try.

posting in general topics results in people being too lazy to read the topic and they just post their own thing anyways. We've got lots of tutorials and explanations up but people don't care enough to read them.. I too am guilty.. I don't have time to read topics trying to find a solution when in a hurry, still doesn't justify it, just people won't read them... In my opinion anyways.

Then I think the rules aren't imposed completely (no offense meant), or they aren't strict enough.

IMHO some threads are doubled in length, just by the HUGEness of the sigs.

But I can be wrong. If no one else is with me on this, just ignore me :happy:

...You ain't going to tell me that it is our fault they are huge now?

Signatures

• Signatures can contain banners, pictures, userbars or text. Animated pictures or banners (.gif or .png) are allowed. Video’s (e.g. youtube) aren’t allowed in signatures. The maximum dimensions of the signature are 500 by 180 pixels. The maximum size of the signature is 450 kb. The same rules that apply to posting on the forum also apply to your signature. This means your signature cannot contain any vulgar, profane, offensive or obscene language or images and must not show any disrespect towards others. Also a users signature may not contain spam or (links to) websites that contain things forbidden by these Terms of Service, Dutch law or by the law in his or her own country.
  • The EMP-staff has the right to remove or edit all signatures not respecting the above rules without prior notice. The EMP-staff also has the right to adjust or delete all signatures that they consider to be too large or unfit for a forum visited by people from all ages. The user that does not respect these rules will receive a warning. If your signature was edited/removed by the EMP-staff they will replace the signature by a text explaining why the signature was removed. After your signature is removed, you are allowed to post a new signature as long as that signature respects these rules.

Sometimes i want to ask a question, but it doesnt really need a whole new thread for it, and theres not really a topic covering it, so i dont ask it. My solution is to make a thread in each section, something along thelines of "Got a Question? Ask here" and this thread is where you can ask anything as long as its not release dates or something not related to the section its in?

The aim of this thread would hopefully reduce the number of thread being opened asking common questions that have come up in the past.

Do you think that would work?!?!

Then I think the rules aren't imposed completely (no offense meant), or they aren't strict enough.

IMHO some threads are doubled in length, just by the HUGEness of the sigs.

But I can be wrong. If no one else is with me on this, just ignore me :happy:

I don't know where you get the idea that we do not enforce the signature rules, but we certainly do. I copied the list of all signature violations that were corrected the last three months (replaced the names by ***) just to give you an idea of all the work we have to do to enforce the signature rules.

So trust me, the signature rules are enforced. But it is always possible we do not notice a violation of the signature rules. You are free to press the report button in that case.

***(banners too big): Complied.

-***(banner too big): Pending.

-***(too many banners and userbars): Complied.

-***(banner too big, no text allowed): Pending.

-***(banner too big): Pending.

***(oversized text and image exactly 140 pixels high): complied

*** (two pictures of both 400x120 pixels): complied.

***(picture too big): complied

***(two pictures of both 438x144 pixels): complied

***(two pictures and three userbars): complied

***(to many lines of text): complied

***(to many empty lines between pictures): complied

***(to many lines of text): Changed the sig, but it still contains too many lines of text (8 in stead of 6). But since he is using textsize 1 his signature isn't bigger then 140 pixels. So I'm OK with it. --> complied

***(6 userbars, 1 picture, 4 lines of text) complied

***(two pictures of both 150 pixels high) complied

***(three banners) complied --> Atlanta mod banner is still too large. Needs to be adjusted by mod team.

***(banner to high) complied

***(codebox in sig) complied

*** ( two oversized banners, plus text): complied

*** (very large chigagomod banner and three pics) complied

*** (one banner too large) complied

*** (one banner too large) signature removed for not complying after warning PM

*** (one banner too large) signature removed for not complying after warning PM

*** (6 userbars two oversized pictures) signature removed for not complying after warning PM (he removed the userbars but didn't resize his banners).

*** (picture too big): complied BUT he will still recieve a warning after his next offence (strike 3).

*** (one banner too much) complied

*** (4 banners) complied

*** (2 oversized banners) complied

*** (banner too high) signature removed for not complying after warning PM

*** (oversized picture) complied

*** (oversized picture) signature removed for not complying after warning PM

***(three banners) complied

***(six banners) complied

***(picture too high) complied

***(picture too high) signature removed for not complying after warning PM

***(three pics so sigs too high) complied

***(two pictures too high) complied

***(four banners so sig is almost 400 pix high) complied

***(too much userbars) complied

***(one banner too much) complied

***(too many small pics, so over the heigth limit) complied

***(too many usrebars, so over the heigth limit) complied

***(way too many pictures, about 400 pixels over the size limit) complied

*** (oversized picture) complied

***(two overfsized images) complied

***(signature about 15 times the allowed heigth) complied

***(too many pictures) status: complied

***(too many pictures) status: pending complied

Sometimes i want to ask a question, but it doesnt really need a whole new thread for it, and theres not really a topic covering it, so i dont ask it. My solution is to make a thread in each section, something along thelines of "Got a Question? Ask here" and this thread is where you can ask anything as long as its not release dates or something not related to the section its in?

The aim of this thread would hopefully reduce the number of thread being opened asking common questions that have come up in the past.

Do you think that would work?!?!

If there isn't a thread covering your subject, create one. That's what the forum is for. You really do not have to be afraid you will get warned or something like that if your question has already been asked before or if it seems insignificant. You have just as much right to have your question resolved as all the other members on this forum.

A forum for each big mod like NY mod.

Will not happen :)

Like I said in some other threads already, this is something between me and the modders. It's not the community deciding who gets what, it's me sitting at the same desk with modders and discuting things and options in and out.

In the case of NY mod, they did not want a subforum. Besides that, there are two big mods here, LA and NY for the rest all is small :)

I say put in a chat box on one of the sides to have conversation and ask questions without new topics. Probably will need a new fourm though.

Guest Francis

I say put in a chat box on one of the sides to have conversation and ask questions without new topics. Probably will need a new fourm though.

Never will be made because then everyone would spam the chat box with "help me with my things", "make me a model!!!111", or something like "i dont want to make a new topic cause im the king and i will ask here whats the way to get vista working with em5?". One reason is that it will be spammed with such things and also is deeply hard to moderate. People will complain there, curse, don't show respect. Really bad idea. Wanna instant message someone? Have them on MSN, simple.

This was here before, it failed. TeamSpeak was here before, it failed.

You guys wanted TeamSpeak, I made TeamSpeak and it is failing again

Understand what I mean? :)

Guest Francis

For those of you who don't. Something failed once, it'll fail again...

Or for the math-y types.

Fail = Fail = Fail.. For all eternity. :)

Also, does this little upgrade and spring cleaning consist of a face lift (new skin?)

Or...

Fail?

Hehe. :)

Or...

Fail?

Hehe. :)

Better to do this:

if(isset($_TRY['OPTION'])){
$TRY = ['fail']
$TRY == ['try again']
} else {
$TRY = ['success']
$TRY == ['Cheer!!']
}

:bia::grinsevil:

As for a change i would sugest:

Take this:

* International Emergency Fan Forum (Emergency 1,2,3 & 4)* > Emergency 4 | Emergency 4 Deluxe | 911: First Responders * > [EN] Modding & Mod Help * > Mods * > Dutch

And place it here:

* International Emergency Fan Forum (Emergency 1,2,3 & 4)* > Emergency 4 | Emergency 4 Deluxe | 911: First Responders * > [NL] Modding & Mod Hulp * > Mods

And place all mod topics here:

* International Emergency Fan Forum (Emergency 1,2,3 & 4)* > Emergency 4 | Emergency 4 Deluxe | 911: First Responders * > [EN] Modding & Mod Help

Into the right place:

* International Emergency Fan Forum (Emergency 1,2,3 & 4)* > Emergency 4 | Emergency 4 Deluxe | 911: First Responders * > [EN] Modding & Mod Help * > Mods * >

Cause right now, the help section of it is spawning with small mods and mod topics.

As for a change i would sugest:

Take this:

* International Emergency Fan Forum (Emergency 1,2,3 & 4)* > Emergency 4 | Emergency 4 Deluxe | 911: First Responders * > [EN] Modding & Mod Help * > Mods * > Dutch

And place it here:

* International Emergency Fan Forum (Emergency 1,2,3 & 4)* > Emergency 4 | Emergency 4 Deluxe | 911: First Responders * > [NL] Modding & Mod Hulp * > Mods

And place all mod topics here:

* International Emergency Fan Forum (Emergency 1,2,3 & 4)* > Emergency 4 | Emergency 4 Deluxe | 911: First Responders * > [EN] Modding & Mod Help

Into the right place:

* International Emergency Fan Forum (Emergency 1,2,3 & 4)* > Emergency 4 | Emergency 4 Deluxe | 911: First Responders * > [EN] Modding & Mod Help * > Mods * >

Cause right now, the help section of it is spawning with small mods and mod topics.

Correct, that was one thing on my list :) The forums are already there, it's just you guys can't see it yet since I didn't put any rights in yet. As soon I'll move the topics this change will be completed ;)