MikeyPI

Reskinning Vehicle(s)

I'm trying to unlock the LRA files and must be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. I renamed the three files to large_rescue_ambulance1t.v3o, with the two others being 2t and 3t. I then load the mod, go under 'unpack file' and then do not see the files. I go into the correct directory, but the renamed files do not appear. Could someone offer a suggestion?

EDIT: I got it to where the files were unpacked, and then renamed them back to .dds. Then I try to open with Photoshop, only to be told that Photoshop cannot parse the file. The same happens when I use paint.NET. Any suggestions?

Help!!!

I tried to edit the models in the la mod 2.1 and additional units submod for re-skinning I did each step and tried several times and every time GIMP 2.8 (yes i have the dds plugin and it works) says that the file is incorrect or invalid, Is there another lock, like a copyright?. Please help, thanks.

Use the dds converter and change it to a png then open it with gimp,after you first unlock the file in the editor.If you follow the above directions there is no reason that this should not work...it's pretty straight forward.

http://forum.emergen...-dds-converter/

Use the dds converter and change it to a png then open it with gimp,after you first unlock the file in the editor.If you follow the above directions there is no reason that this should not work...it's pretty straight forward.

http://forum.emergen...-dds-converter/

Still doesn't work, says that it (the converter) cant open the dds file. It has been doing this for the last few days. It's getting on my nerves because it's like the last part of my private mod. I'm not sure what to do.

Like i said is there something with the LA mod 2.1 w/ the additional units Submod, like a copyright?

If it can't open the file it means that it is still locked.Follow every step below,it seems like you're not doing all the required steps below,especially in the editor.

go into your model files,lets say you want the chp charger (for example):

1.find dodge_charger_chp.dds change it to dodge_charger_chp1.v3o (watch spelling spaces and all) when it asks you too change file say yes.

2.open editor choose mod and navigate to dodge_charger_chp1.v3o click unpack,then exit editor

3.go back to your main mod folder and re-name dodge_charger_chp1.v3o back to dodge_charger_chp.dds confirm name change.

4.use dds converter to find and convert (dodge_charger_chp.dds) to a PNG

5.open with gimp2 or paint whatever you use.

this is as simple as it gets hope it helps you....there's no copyright protection thing on the texture files that prevents you from opening it,it only boils down to human error.

Whatever i do, this refuses to work. I rename cv_lapd.dds to cv_lapdedit.V30 and load up my mod in editor. I continue to supposedly unpack the file. Everything goes fine, so i expect to be able to edit it after naming it cv_lapd.dds again. However, i still get the 'File format could not parse this line' error, as if it were packed! This is really annoying. I can't make ANY progress on ANYTHING without at least an unlocked LAPD patrol car, and it's really starting to annoy me.

Help!

Whatever i do, this refuses to work. I rename cv_lapd.dds to cv_lapdedit.V30 and load up my mod in editor. I continue to supposedly unpack the file. Everything goes fine, so i expect to be able to edit it after naming it cv_lapd.dds again. However, i still get the 'File format could not parse this line' error, as if it were packed! This is really annoying. I can't make ANY progress on ANYTHING without at least an unlocked LAPD patrol car, and it's really starting to annoy me.

Help!

Don't change the original file name, just change the extension format. For example, change cv_lapd.dds to cv_lapd.dds.v3o.

It looks as if you have two extensions, but you don't, as the .v3o will superceed the .dds.

After that, head in to the editor, unpack as normal, and rename cv_lapd.dds.v3o back to cv_lapd.dds

Hope it helps,

Rlast.

Well, i went from V30 (zero) to V3O, lol

EDIT: Okay, i tried it. Didn't work. I renamed cv_lapd.dds to cv_lapd.dds.v3o. I opened editor. I go into Modifications, and unpack the file. No errors. PS still can not open it. Am i meant to be opening it as admin?

Well, i went from V30 (zero) to V3O, lol

EDIT: Okay, i tried it. Didn't work. I renamed cv_lapd.dds to cv_lapd.dds.v3o. I opened editor. I go into Modifications, and unpack the file. No errors. PS still can not open it. Am i meant to be opening it as admin?

drop the .dds when you rename it,it should be cv_lapd1.v3o not (cv_lapd.dds.v3o)

Do this...

step1- find cv_lapd.dss,change name to cv_lapd1.v3o and confirm change when asked

step2- open editor,navigate to mod,find cv_lapd1.v3o and unpack it.close editor

step3- go back to model files and change cv_lapd1.v3o back to cv_lapd.dss and confirm change.

step4- open cv_lapd.dds file with dds converter and change to a png file

drop the .dds when you rename it,it should be cv_lapd1.v3o not (cv_lapd.dds.v3o)

Do this...

step1- find cv_lapd.dss,change name to cv_lapd1.v3o and confirm change when asked

step2- open editor,navigate to mod,find cv_lapd1.v3o and unpack it.close editor

step3- go back to model files and change cv_lapd1.v3o back to cv_lapd.dss and confirm change.

step4- open cv_lapd.dds file with dds converter and change to a png file

So, is opening it as a .dds causing the problem? (I use Nvidia's plugin)

And Thanks Goog!

I don't use any plug ins, just dds converter and gimp2

Well, i used DDS converter too and it failed to convert it. I think the problem lies with my editor-or something, or maybe i'm SOMEHOW unlocking the wrong file, but either way, i think it's still locked/packed. I give up :(

I went thru this entire post before I asked this, hoping I would find the answer, but either nobody asked or I am just blind and missed it.

So I've successfully reskined my vehicle, and it shows up in game fine. How do I change the vehicle icon (when you click on it) that shows the health status of the vehicle? Will this also change the icon in the call out menu for getting more of that vehicle class? I.E. the LA Mod Ambulance 1 (Basic - white box) - mine is now a Blue unit, can I replace this "icon/thumbnail" of the vehicle with a pic of my reskinned unit?

Thanks all for the help! This topic did really explain it if you take a min to follow the steps EXACTLY.

The thing that helped it work for me is right clicking on the editor and running as admin. now I have more problems. when I open up editor and open up LA mod, the screen goes black. I still have my opinions to choose everything but the grid is completely black. Also how do you get the skins back into the game?

The camera has a tendency to drift a lot when first loading a mod. Under one of the menus is "Center Camera", that will bring it back to the map.

Thanks I will check that out.

EDIT: Hereweard Fyning that worked! thanks a lot man! Now I just have to figure out how to put the reskins back into the mod. All I have for my truck is a box that says missing modfile. What do I need to save it as to make it appear in the game again? I dont know what else to do. I tried the dds converter which apparently doesnt work on windows 7, i tried saving the file from paint.net as a dds file. i tried just renaming the file, I tried to go in and change the v3o to and png file for dds. lol i dont know what else to do.

EDIT:8/29/13

So I think the skin is in the game. its just not lined up correctly on the model. I can see little bits and pieces so I'm pretty sure the right skin is in the game, but most of the vehicle is white and little bits and pieces are showing up. Is there a tutorial I can read to figure out how to line up the skins right?

EDIT :8/31/13

So I figured it out! I just had to make the skin match up to the paper size in paint.net program, So easy!

DDS Converter doesn't work with Win7 if you run Win7.

I'm pretty sure I had Win7 when I used DDS Converter last and it worked fine. Guess I need to try it and make sure.

Sorry about double post, just needed this to be seen..

Has anyone figured out how to re-skin the tower ladder? I unlocked, etc... but all i get is a tire, and a few white lines on the dds file.

Well, since I'm a slacker, I assume you got this fixed already 5 months later.

I went thru this entire post before I asked this, hoping I would find the answer, but either nobody asked or I am just blind and missed it.

So I've successfully reskined my vehicle, and it shows up in game fine. How do I change the vehicle icon (when you click on it) that shows the health status of the vehicle? Will this also change the icon in the call out menu for getting more of that vehicle class? I.E. the LA Mod Ambulance 1 (Basic - white box) - mine is now a Blue unit, can I replace this "icon/thumbnail" of the vehicle with a pic of my reskinned unit?

Thanks all for the help! This topic did really explain it if you take a min to follow the steps EXACTLY.

Once again, I'm a slacker. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the icons you need to edit for the in menu items and such are in the Units>Vehicles>*Model*. That's the only place I can think of where they would be at. Not sure if those need to be unlocked or not either.

Thanks I will check that out.

EDIT: Hereweard Fyning that worked! thanks a lot man! Now I just have to figure out how to put the reskins back into the mod. All I have for my truck is a box that says missing modfile. What do I need to save it as to make it appear in the game again? I dont know what else to do. I tried the dds converter which apparently doesnt work on windows 7, i tried saving the file from paint.net as a dds file. i tried just renaming the file, I tried to go in and change the v3o to and png file for dds. lol i dont know what else to do.

EDIT:8/29/13

So I think the skin is in the game. its just not lined up correctly on the model. I can see little bits and pieces so I'm pretty sure the right skin is in the game, but most of the vehicle is white and little bits and pieces are showing up. Is there a tutorial I can read to figure out how to line up the skins right?

EDIT :8/31/13

So I figured it out! I just had to make the skin match up to the paper size in paint.net program, So easy!

It's been so long since I been in the editor but there is a option somewhere to "Center Camera" when your mouse drifts off the grid and it will center the camera back where you started.

Once again, I'm a slacker. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the icons you need to edit for the in menu items and such are in the Units>Vehicles>*Model*. That's the only place I can think of where they would be at. Not sure if those need to be unlocked or not either.

Yep, I found them.  Just lots more WORK to do to make a COMPLETE Mod.  However, I'm sure those of you doing mods are running into the same thing I have been, and that is finding that you end up going back and REDOING some of your skins and making them better/more detailed.

Wow, at this pace I'll NEVER finish!  LOL!