MikesPhotos

A Guide to the LAFD and assisting agencies....

Thats the same bike we used by th police where I live (Austin Police Department) and those bikes are fast, good maneuverability, and safe. They made a good choice, but not sure about the price :1046275767_ugly:

http://www.lonestarcycle.com/previmgs/apd1.jpg

@Mike, No I havent seen you joke, but you didnt specify BMW Motorcycle. Even we have BMWs but there pretty much just used for funerals, and the Harleys see the front line action. I thought you meant BMW cars. As for the Caprice, I wasnt aware that LAPD inked a deal. Best I recall some one mentioned this before and you either denied it to be true or said that LAPD had not decided on a replacement cruiser. So they plan to buy some Caprices next year, or when ever they buy replacement cruisers?

I kind of figured as much but decided to leave it open ended. Also has LAPD,LASD or CHP ever invested in any Dodge Intrepids? I have seen a few departments invest in marked Intrepids but there pretty rare.

No, nor have they ever tested them.

Is there going to be a section about heavy rescues? I don't see a section for them.

Probably will be included in the USAR section.

The BMW motercycle has been in use for about 2 years now wiht LAPD, LASD, CHP, and other various agiencys. For regular patrol vehicals the most comon is the crown victoria. SOme smaler agiencies are using the doge carger. I have also seen the doge magnume, VW bug, and the intreped. Smaller departments buy new cars and such, but LASD and LAPD they have a contract with ford(i dont know if its exspired) but they get a great deal on cars and tires(about $24 per tire) Hopefully in a few years time LASD and LAPD use the new carger for regular patrol, but for now its only used for the sheriff, cheif, comanders, and the under cheif and sheriff.

Ummm, wow, i really don't know where you are getting your information from, but just to clear up some things

The BMW motercycle has been in use for about 2 years now wiht LAPD, LASD, CHP, and other various agiencys.

CHP has contracted with BMW since 1998, with the first purchase of the BMW R 1100 RT-P from A&S BMW.

LAPD has 14 test bmw's 1150RT-Ps when the first models with antilock brakes came out in 2003, but did not make any purchases until June of this year with 60 new bikes being delivered, and I believe 20 - 80 more may be coming in. With the budget issues, the final number has not been locked down yet.

LASD also tested the 1150's, and went with the R1200's as of 2007.

Maybe that is where you got your 2 years from?

For regular patrol vehicals the most comon is the crown victoria. SOme smaler agiencies are using the doge carger. I have also seen the doge magnume, VW bug, and the intreped. Smaller departments buy new cars and such, but LASD and LAPD they have a contract with ford(i dont know if its exspired)

Both expire 2011/2012

but they get a great deal on cars and tires(about $24 per tire) Hopefully in a few years time LASD and LAPD use the new carger for regular patrol, but for now its only used for the sheriff, cheif, comanders, and the under cheif and sheriff.

LAPD has rejected the charger completely outright for all but their Dual Purpose use. LASD rejected it even more so, and has taken all of their test units and given them, as you said, to upper command positions, recruitment, and 3 went to K9.

No, nor have they ever tested them.

Know of a reason why?

The BMW motercycle has been in use for about 2 years now wiht LAPD, LASD, CHP, and other various agiencys. For regular patrol vehicals the most comon is the crown victoria. SOme smaler agiencies are using the doge carger. I have also seen the doge magnume, VW bug, and the intreped. Smaller departments buy new cars and such, but LASD and LAPD they have a contract with ford(i dont know if its exspired) but they get a great deal on cars and tires(about $24 per tire) Hopefully in a few years time LASD and LAPD use the new carger for regular patrol, but for now its only used for the sheriff, cheif, comanders, and the under cheif and sheriff.

Bug? Eww, I drove one once, it was a total POS(then again it belonged to a teenage girl). It did handle well but I cant see it being much use for a patrol car.

LAPD has rejected the charger completely outright for all but their Dual Purpose use. LASD rejected it even more so, and has taken all of their test units and given them, as you said, to upper command positions, recruitment, and 3 went to K9.

Dual Purpose as in..? Command and recruitment I can see, but why did they target the K-9 division? Bigger back seat or something?

Know of a reason why?

Front wheel drive, and doesn't come close to meeting the stringent requirements most departments specify. That is why the charger was introduced. The intrepid could never handle day to day rigorous abuse

Dual Purpose as in..? Command and recruitment I can see, but why did they target the K-9 division? Bigger back seat or something?

Dual purpose is LAPD's name for unmarked slicktops. They serve a dual purpose as both admin, and in the field cars.

And just the opposite, Dogs are smaller then people. Backseat on a charger is tiny, and LASD felt impractical/unusable. So they gave it to the dogs... literally.

So they gave it to the dogs... literally.

Theres a joke :P Anyways thanks for the info.

Does AMR utilize the Critical Care transport units for all patient transfers or is it as the name implies and only used when a patient is in more critical condition?

Does LAPD Bomb Squad SUVs actually have the bomb robots on them? I have seen the Pierce Rescue Truck has a robot on board but never seen pics of the SUV with the robot. Perhaps I over looked them though.

Here is a bit about AMR

Here is the color of uniforms that AMR wears and what it means,

Dark Blue is EMT or Paramedic,

White is FTO,

Black is Field Supervisors or Manger,

There is only one manger that will work the the field and that is my dad.

He is the R&S manger, CES manger, and Paramedic adviser.

Paramedic adviser is the equivalent to the chief paramedic

Mike, AMR just got the contract with the Home Depot Center

this is the third major sport stadium to go with AMR, Staples Center, and Dodger Stadium.

They also have the LA Live area.

Hopefully this helps you.

Guest PalaFDExplorer

First off, i'm new ^^

Mike, you have an awesome guide, and I was wondering if I could talk to you to get some more insight on the protocols of the LAFD. I'm an explorer with a different outlying region in Southern CA, in which you may be familiar with due to the fact you were with Cal Fire at some point from what I've read? Anyways, I had a few questions about some of the rigging and make sure I set up all of my equipment properly :) Oh yeah, and I'd also like to talk to you RickyRescue, because I'm starting my EMT class here in a few months, and I've talked to a few medics, but would like to learn more too about AMR and their standards. Thank you very much.

Thanks again,

Greg

Hey guys, I was looking at the real versions of the three new helicopters Hoppah made, and I noticed that the LASD bird had a few minor differences from the LAPD and CHP ones. I was wondering if they were from different years or just different customization of the birds? If anyone from around their, such as mikesphotos could answer it would be great, I'm just curious.

Edited by pyrothijs
merged with the topic about the real LAFD/LAPD

Hey guys, I was looking at the real versions of the three new helicopters Hoppah made, and I noticed that the LASD bird had a few minor differences from the LAPD and CHP ones. I was wondering if they were from different years or just different customization of the birds? If anyone from around their, such as mikesphotos could answer it would be great, I'm just curious.

Differences such as?

-d

hey hey mike,

question, may have over , looked it but what is de diferense between the LAPD and the LASD??

and do they work side by side or 1 in country and other in the city??

ok here we go

the LAPD is like in most other cities restricted with their powers to the city limits

the LASD is countywide operating and is policing the incorporated ( depending on their contract ) as well as the non-incorporated cities ..... some cities try to save money and do not employ a own police force rather than having their city policed by the LASD

furthermore underlies the court , prisoner transport and jail system the LASD

both have pretty much the same powers

police officers have a limited local jurisdiction, usually within the boundaries of a city or town. within their jurisdiction, police look for for public safety, citing and arresting people where appropriate. the police also perform a variety of public services including safety education and security within city limits. in a large city, the police department may have an assortment of specialized personnel in departments like the bomb squad or riot police.

a sheriff, on the other hand, enforces law in a county or state. in the United States, the sheriff is an elected official, and he or she swears in an assort of deputies who have similar powers. sheriffs patrol outside the boundaries of towns and cities, although they can enter police jurisdiction as part of their jobs. in a town without a police department, the civic leaders may request that a sheriff patrol and act as a policeman within city limits.

i hope this answers your question

thnx,

i believe i now understand it.

The LAPD is only for the city LA.

the LASD is for the LA country and can work in the city LA also

Apart from the LAcoFD and LAFD are their any other agencies which handle 'Rescue' (In terms of MVAs, etc) in California?

In California, there are hundreds probably. Did you mean in the city of Los Angeles or the whole state of California.

-d

In California, there are hundreds probably. Did you mean in the city of Los Angeles or the whole state of California.

-d

LA is what i meant. I didn't think there would be as many as you say. Are these individual agencies on their own?, or sub-sections of larger organisations (If so, I'm just after the main department).

LA is what i meant. I didn't think there would be as many as you say. Are these individual agencies on their own?, or sub-sections of larger organisations (If so, I'm just after the main department).

In a state as large as California, you really find it that hard to believe? Much less for ANY state? Indiana is mostly corn fields, and with in my county alone there is Evansville Fire and 5 different county Fire Departments alone, each of which have 2 stations at the least. Now granted were an entirely different animal then LA which utilizes LAFD and LACoFD, but I am sure you get the idea.

Virtually every fire department in the US handles extrications at MVAs. I have heard of regional HAZMAT squads in rural areas though.

In LA county you have the LAFD, LACoFD, Long Beach FD, Glendale FD, Pasadena FD, Burbank FD, Carson FD, and a crapload of others. All of those departments would handle extrications. They might request a heavy rescue from the LAFD or LACoFD if the wreck is bad.

Virtually every fire department in the US handles extrications at MVAs. I have heard of regional HAZMAT squads in rural areas though.

In LA county you have the LAFD, LACoFD, Long Beach FD, Glendale FD, Pasadena FD, Burbank FD, Carson FD, and a few others. All of those departments would handle extrications. They might request a heavy rescue from the LAFD or LACoFD if the wreck is bad.

Thanks! That's the sort of answer i was after, I probably didn't ask it correctly.

In a state as large as California, you really find it that hard to believe? Much less for ANY state? Indiana is mostly corn fields, and with in my county alone there is Evansville Fire and 5 different county Fire Departments alone, each of which have 2 stations at the least. Now granted were an entirely different animal then LA which utilizes LAFD and LACoFD, but I am sure you get the idea.

As per above, I think i probably confused myself and you all too. I was meaning to ask who as such handles rescue - fire department, police, or a totally seperate organisation, etc - just a generalisation.