MikesPhotos

A Guide to the LAFD and assisting agencies....

As per above, I think i probably confused myself and you all too. I was meaning to ask who as such handles rescue - fire department, police, or a totally seperate organisation, etc - just a generalisation.

Well thats possible, but considering Dizza said there were hundreds in Cali, not LA, and you responded saying youre surprised its that much, seems pretty clear to me.

Do the coroners still use yellow lights? I thought I recalled you saying they switched to red but I do not recall that for a fact. So if they still use yellow, how come the Special Operations Truck uses Red? What kind of operations is this used for?

according to the pics on this page they seem to use yellow as well as red lights

http://www.code2high.com/coroner.htm

according to the pics on this page they seem to use yellow as well as red lights

sorry, but all coroner vehicles are apposed to have all yellow lights so they can't go code 3. The two trucks that have red lights in the pictures are the Special Operations team in which is used if they need to get to an incident were there is a lot of bodies and can't wait for the normal vans to get there i.e. train wrecks, earthquake, terrorist attack, etc. Also the detectives want all the time they can get at the scene of a crime before the coroner van comes to pick up the body. this is the main reason why all coroner vehicles have yellow lights.

I was playing with Google Earth to try and find a photo of an SID unit, and I came up with this. It was photographed at the 740 East Cesar E Chavez avenue.

Looks like a command post or some other transport unit... Anybody know what it is?

sorry, but all coroner vehicles are apposed to have all yellow lights so they can't go code 3. The two trucks that have red lights in the pictures are the Special Operations team in which is used if they need to get to an incident were there is a lot of bodies and can't wait for the normal vans to get there i.e. train wrecks, earthquake, terrorist attack, etc. Also the detectives want all the time they can get at the scene of a crime before the coroner van comes to pick up the body. this is the main reason why all coroner vehicles have yellow lights.

So do investigators use red lights to get there quickly?

I was playing with Google Earth to try and find a photo of an SID unit, and I came up with this. It was photographed at the 740 East Cesar E Chavez avenue.

Looks like a command post or some other transport unit... Anybody know what it is?

Judging by the red and blue lights it looks police oriented.

1 is the LASD using the same light bar as the LAPD?

1. fom what i see LASD Traffic units use MX7000, while there "Radio cars" use Arjent like LAPD.

What is a radio car anyways?

What is a radio car anyways?

as far as I know is this only an old name for " radio mounted vehicles " ..... in some areas also called " radio motor patrol " .......

I guess its more or less just a name used since the days when first police cars were fitted with a radio for dispatch purpose , rather than send from the station by incident ....the name is more or less a leftover from the good old days ;-)

as far as I know is this only an old name for " radio mounted vehicles " ..... in some areas also called " radio motor patrol " .......

I guess its more or less just a name used since the days when first police cars were fitted with a radio for dispatch purpose , rather than send from the station by incident ....the name is more or less a leftover from the good old days ;-)

Thanks for the input but I doubt Mikesphotos would go to the trouble of labeling LASD units as radio cars with out reason, and seeing as only radio cars have arjent lightbars vs metro cars which have the mx7000, I there is something setting the 2 cars apart.

Thanks for the input but I doubt Mikesphotos would go to the trouble of labeling LASD units as radio cars with out reason, and seeing as only radio cars have arjent lightbars vs metro cars which have the mx7000, I there is something setting the 2 cars apart.

my following answer is only an assumption ..... because I do live on the east-coast , I was never able to see the vehicles you are referring to in real but I guess it's like that , that the Radio Cars are in a Dispatch Pool to cover all sorts of incident calls covering the whole LASD / LASO county area , while the other vehicles are usually confined to their designated area ....

the right answer will be most likely only given by Mike !

"Metro" units are the ones that are assigned to the cities "Metro" rail and bus transportation services. They patrol the bus stations and rail stations, as well as have officers that ride on the bus and railcars.

The county was tasked with providing the services rather than the individual cities due to the logistics involved.

-d

"Metro" units are the ones that are assigned to the cities "Metro" rail and bus transportation services. They patrol the bus stations and rail stations, as well as have officers that ride on the bus and railcars.

The county was tasked with providing the services rather than the individual cities due to the logistics involved.

-d

I almost figured that this was kind off like the NYPD Transit Police over here but was not certain enough ..... a search referred often to " metrolink " and therefore I was unsure

What does LACoFD's Infrared unit do?

there are multiple uses for

- searching for hot spots within a large scale fire rather then sending in units to search for them

- coordinating fire units more precise to hot spots to battle the fire more efficient

- search for missing civilians and/or firefighters during a fire rather than a dangerous and time consuming room to room or area search

- searching from air for hot spots during a forest fire and in combination with gps mapping a advanced planning and approach guidance can be given to ground units

to say it short - a safer and faster way to battle fires because units can be send directly to the actual hot spots and a quick and live saving way for search and rescue during such an event

What does LACoFD's Infrared unit do?

Direct quote from Mikes Flickr:

Wildland fires and disasters require up to the minute maps and information. This vehicle allows the GIS techs to create close to real time maps from the data aquired by forward observers and specially equipped helicopters.

It's bassically a giant mobile office with large printers and special computer equipment.

LACoFD Camp 2

How are inland water rescues that require divers handled since the divers are based on the fireboats. Does a helicopter carry them to the scene from the port or do they respond in some sort of vehicle? Do USAR and SWR units carry diving gear?

- no , usar units don't carry any diving / scuba gear because only a few usar members are dive rated but will respond to such calls as part of the usar / swr task force in a supporting technical role

- the units you are mentioning on the fire boats are separately from the swr units .... they are the actual dive team with numerous specialized tasks

- the swr units are usually dive / scuba rated and are deployed via the swr vehicle .... having said this , you have to keep in mind , that they are only some sort of backup dive unit and that their main function is swift water rescue

Those were gradually replaced with newer Chevy Suburbans like the one in the game with an all red paint scheme, and similar lights. LED's were gradually introduced into the steady burns in the 2nd level of the bar.

Van Nuys Airport

The latest purchases have a new paint scheme and LED bar on the roof. There are minor differences between the newest models, with some sporting a large designator on the front in white as well.

LAFD FS28

So the first set are 2006 and the newer ones in the second pic are the 2007-current series suburban right?