MikesPhotos

A Guide to the LAFD and assisting agencies....

Your welcome, sorry if that was confusing. Just different dispatchers do things differently, and the requests go the same way. Just depends on the person ^^

No problem, I figured that my be the case since I only listen at specific times I don't know what is going on at others. I really only ever hear about 4 dispatchers.

No problem, I figured that my be the case since I only listen at specific times I don\'t know what is going on at others. I really only ever hear about 4 dispatchers.

Oh, yeah, that could be a reason, lol. Thanks for listening and taking note of our dispatchers and unit callsigns.

I took a copy of my friends station listings and battalions, hahaha, so I have an update now...

mike, I was looking through your Flikr, you've got some amazing pictures

I posted it because 1. I was bored. 2. I'm surprised that I actually have that. 3. It gives me something to type. I've got nothing to do after I do my morning workout, except workout more or clean up my house, and it's already straightened up. I've written tons of useless things.

Ummmm... welll... ok?

I have a full list as well as a bunch of other cr@p if you want it, you probably have it all though...

Have no doubt in my mind that whatever it is, it's probably in one of the binders behind me.

Listening LAFD and other SoCal dispatches (both recorded and some live), and I've never heard them use "RA" only rescue.

Verdugo dispatch and the other local departments only use "RA".

Perhaps you've heard differently I'm sure they probably use it at times...Just an observation.

It depends on the dispatcher. Some give RA, others give rescue. It depends on the Dispatcher and the day. With the "800", Some days someone will say 800 ambulance , once in a while, you'll get someone who says BLS ambulance, which is on the less common side, and 800 RA. There's a noon dispatcher whose pretty enthusiastic about dispatching. He's used RA before, though not as common as rescue.

The proper term is Rescue, but to give a bit more info as to what 287 said, Dispatchers in the LAFD are sworn firefighters either on a temporary assignment to OCD or perm assignment, usually due to injury/medical. Because of this, there is quite a bit of turnover and differences between dispatchers. If you monitor OCD8 as opposed to 4 and 7, you'll hear RA used more frequently for brevity's sake as well since both fire and ems dispatch are occurring on that one channel. But it's really flip a coin and whatever the dispatcher wants. Same thing with Phonetic alphabet in the field. Some use NATO, some use APCO, as far as radio discipline is concerned, there really isn't a whole lot of it in the LAFD as long as the message gets across.

mike, I was looking through your Flikr, you've got some amazing pictures

Thanks, 15 years on the job and what you have there is just the last few years since being part of Public Affairs. More will be added soon, including some real old pics from fires in 2002 and 2003 back in my CDF days.

The proper term is Rescue, but to give a bit more info as to what 287 said, Dispatchers in the LAFD are sworn firefighters either on a temporary assignment to OCD or perm assignment, usually due to injury/medical. Because of this, there is quite a bit of turnover and differences between dispatchers. If you monitor OCD8 as opposed to 4 and 7, you'll hear RA used more frequently for brevity's sake as well since both fire and ems dispatch are occurring on that one channel. But it's really flip a coin and whatever the dispatcher wants. Same thing with Phonetic alphabet in the field. Some use NATO, some use APCO, as far as radio discipline is concerned, there really isn't a whole lot of it in the LAFD as long as the message gets across.

Thanks, 15 years on the job and what you have there is just the last few years since being part of Public Affairs. More will be added soon, including some real old pics from fires in 2002 and 2003 back in my CDF days.

You were in CDF? I did my explorers through station 84 Temecula through them (CDF/Riverside County Fire [RVC]). Haha, PT was great. Wearing full structural bunker gear, a hose pack, and had us run a mile, then an uphill/downhill run up and down a steep hill a few times. and in the middle of summer :P that was the boring days at which no calls came through the station. But, anyways, your with Public Affairs? Never knew that x_x more power to you, and 15 years on the job. No wonder I feel so fail all the time. You definitely have everything I have then. Plus more. I would ask you if you could get in touch with a county batt. chief and let me know how he's doin, and to contact me, but idk if you could do that. Last I heard, he still works, but, I haven't heard anything in quite a few years. The station still has a painting in it that my grandfather made (last I heard again)

Full walkarounds of the newer and older SWR trucks, along with the jet skis and trailer, can be found at

http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=5...ater&m=text

Which ones are the older ones? the white ones? I notice that the white ones mention OES, Was OES phased out of doing SWR?

I also found this truck:

http://www.code2high.com/LAFD/lafd_swift44.jpg

I noticed the body was a tiny bit different. Is this a current style to?

Which ones are the older ones? the white ones? I notice that the white ones mention OES, Was OES phased out of doing SWR?

I also found this truck:

http://www.code2high.com/LAFD/lafd_swift44.jpg

I noticed the body was a tiny bit different. Is this a current style to?

All of the different SWR vehicles and their years/types will be discussed later. Suffice to say there are 4 different alterations.

If your not to worried about a particular order, I wouldnt mind reading up on the foam tenders. Never quite understood there purpose in the mod since I thought it was purley a foam truck, but from something I read around here, that didnt quite sound to to be the case.

Keep up the good work Mike. We all appreciate the time you put into this guide.

Question: I know you said its difficult to summarize dispatch policy, so perhaps you could answer a specific example? If ALS is needed but an ALS engine is closer then an ALS bus, I assume the ALS Engine would run medical aid until an ALS bus is on scene.

If your not to worried about a particular order, I wouldnt mind reading up on the foam tenders. Never quite understood there purpose in the mod since I thought it was purley a foam truck, but from something I read around here, that didnt quite sound to to be the case.

Keep up the good work Mike. We all appreciate the time you put into this guide.

Question: I know you said its difficult to summarize dispatch policy, so perhaps you could answer a specific example? If ALS is needed but an ALS engine is closer then an ALS bus, I assume the ALS Engine would run medical aid until an ALS bus is on scene.

1) the order written is in the order I feel like writing about vs anything else, while many of you would like to see the foam tender, and RATs done, frankly, they'll be done when they're done, and the order is simply what is on my mind at the time. The key thing is that the sections completed are more for the use of the actual mod-makers, and stuff that has come up in behind the scenes conversations so that they can better tailor the work they are doing. Don't read to much into that, it's just that those who actually create and put forth effort and time get rewarded, vs those who are simply the end users/players.

2) That'll be answered at the very end under the responses category.

Ok just thought you might want to clear up the foam tender in case there was any misinformation.

It's not even on my top 10

Just a quick question but whats the typical staffing of the Air Evac chopper, and how many staff patients can it hold?

There are no quick questions, or quick answers, and I'm getting real tired of constantly saying that section will be done when it will be done...

In most places i have seen an air evac chopper is capable of transporting 1 to 2 patients depending on its size. You generally will find the pilot. flight nurse and flight medic on an air evac chopper.

Unfortunately, people keep answering anyways, which im sure is with the best intentions, but doesn't actually answer the question. It just tells you how other people do other things and that's nice if the question was general instead of specific. Especially since that kind of stuff usually leads to stupidity on these boards more then anywhere else... sooooooo here's a very quick answer anyways.

Capability: 2 pilots 15 passengers

Air Ambulance Response

1 or 2 pilots (i need to check that)

2 crew members (helitac)

2 Paramedics

1 to 2 critical patients (will usually call for a 2nd helo if 2 due to space and other considerations, but can be done if **extreme** necessity)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesphotos_us/3380647002/

Airborne Task Force (high rise fires)

1 or 2 pilots

2 crew members (helitac)

full 10 man task force

Helitac (Brush fires)

1 or 2 pilots

2 crew members (helitac)

4 to 10+ as requested/pre-deployed.

So that whole 6 passengers being extreme... umm... yeah.. no. It's actually really low.

I assume that the LACOFD helicopters also work within the same area as the LAFD helicopters, id like to know how coverage works, but ill wait for mike to answer that when he dose the air wing section.

I assume that the LACOFD helicopters also work within the same area as the LAFD helicopters, id like to know how coverage works, but ill wait for mike to answer that when he dose the air wing section.

Quick answer for air ambulances, LA City works inside the city. LA County works the county areas. Rarely do they cover each others areas simply because they both have enough to do the job they need to

http://www.fire.lacounty.gov/HometownFireS...nsBureauMap.pdf <--LACoFD operations map.

Perfect. Thanks.

Is there a current LAFD directory somewhere online? The latest one I can find is from 2006.

No, and per the LAFD PIO, asked by me and many others, there won't be one before his retirement, nor any plans for one after. Even the 2006 one was junk when it came out.

I'm not directing this at you billy, but to everyone...

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE understand... the LAFD and the LAPD are HUGE, massive agencies... nothing 6 months ago is the same today.

And just think in a year or 2, we'll have all new KME engines in addition to the pierce and seagraves, (23 or 26, cant remember off the top of my head), the new chevy caprice, lapd will have switched completely to bmw and full face helmets, and UPR's will be in every car.

So much change goes on every single day. Really, A new directory would be just as useful or useless as the old one since it'd be outdated by the time it was completed.

And just think in a year or 2, we'll have all new KME engines in addition to the pierce and seagraves, (23 or 26, cant remember off the top of my head), the new chevy caprice, lapd will have switched completely to bmw and full face helmets, and UPR's will be in every car.

Any particular reason they chose KME? Im guessing just whatever was cheapest but satisfied there needs?

Are you joking about the whole BMW and Full face helmets? If so Im a bit confused to why you threw the Caprice in there unless it was generalized to other departments across the country.

Any particular reason they chose KME? Im guessing just whatever was cheapest but satisfied there needs?

if you aren't familiar with how fire dept bidding occurs, it'll be difficult to sum up. The basic answer is that departments do NOT specify companies, but whatever company is able to fulfill the requirements of the bid is chosen. It isn't always the cheapest, but involves extra considerations such as maintenance, training and warranty service.

Are you joking about the whole BMW and Full face helmets?

Have you ever known me to joke?

LAPD BMW

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesphotos_us/4066652608/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesphotos_us/4126406540/

LAPD UPR on BMW

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesphotos_us/4126512968/

LAPD Full Face Helmet

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesphotos_us/4125717997/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesphotos_us/4126490826/

If so Im a bit confused to why you threw the Caprice in there unless it was generalized to other departments across the country.

The Holden/Pontiac G8 test bed will become the new Chevy Caprice with a new body, 7 inch longer frame, and other changes, and will be adopted by the LAPD in 2011/2012. No further Dodge Chargers will be purchased or tested.