MikeyPI

Reskinning Vehicle(s)

He's changing what the ambulance looks like but the model itself, not the skin. Also, I know how to make straight lines but I mean like how you see an ambulance graphic where the line goes straight then branches off like this.

I just eyeball everything so I have no technique. Maybe someone else does on here though.

I'm not positive but I think if you wanted to be real precise, there are shapes in Photoshop you can use instead of paintbrushes.

There are but I just wanteed to learn how to make curves or branch off a line or something but i'l find out how to od it myself.

Good luck. Post a screen when you get finished with it if you want.

There are but I just wanteed to learn how to make curves or branch off a line or something but i'l find out how to od it myself.

Unit 42- first I used rectangle select to make a long stripe the length of the unit and while highlighted I filled the stripe with colour.Then I used the free select tool (good for angles and curves) to make the back stripe,after I had it as I liked I just copied part of it and used it for the stripe in front of it.Everything else you probably know how to do...hope I helped you

I don't know. I used any ambulance I found on google haha. Thank you sir, can I PM you if I need any help if its alright? I tried it then got messed up. I'm sorry to take all of your guys' time but I can't seem to get what I want....:(

I don't know. I used any ambulance I found on google haha. Thank you sir, can I PM you if I need any help if its alright? I tried it then got messed up. I'm sorry to take all of your guys' time but I can't seem to get what I want....:(

yes you can pm me,I'll help if I can...the ambulance is from Bruce County,Walkerton,Ontario,Canada.

I am trying to reskin one of my ambulances to be like the Mohawk Ambulance Service, but with LA Mod v2.1 and every file already has a .V30 file so do i just unpack that and do it from there cause every time i rename the Ambulance04.dds to Ambulance04t.V30 i can't find it in the editor, as if it doesn't even exist! and i was going to reskin it it standard Paint, i have gimp but its too complicated for me.

You rename the dds file to have the file name of v30 so it'll be from ambulance04.dds to ambulance04.v3o then unpack then rename it back to dds. Download the DDS converter and convert the dds file to jpg or png.

go into your model files,lets say you want the chp charger(for example):

1.find dodge_charger_chp.dds change it to dodge_charger_chp1.V3O(watch spelling spaces and all) when it asks you too change file say yes.

2.open editor choose mod and navigate to dodge_charger_chp1.V3O click unpack

3.go back to your main mod folder and re-name dodge_charger_chp1.V3O back to dodge_charger_chp.dds confirm name change.

4.use dds converter to find and convert (dodge_charger_chp.dds) to a PNG

5.open with gimp2 or paint whatever you use.

this is as simple as it gets hope it helps you....

do this scotia,just swap your unit name in place of other

In order to Reskin a vehicle from the LA Mod you will have to "unlock" the dds file(s) that are required for the vehicle, for this example we will be asking to reskin one of the many crown victorias. In this example the CHP Vic.

First you must Unlock the dds file, in order to do this you must find the dds file that you wish to alter which would be located in the following folder:

Game Install\Mods\LA MOD 1.8\Models\Vehicles\03 LA Police\cv_chp.dds (some vehicles have multiple texture files)

You have to rename the file to something else and change the extension from dds to v3o, this will allow the editor to unpack the file making it readable by Photoshop or a dds converter.

Due to the fact that most vehicles have the same name for the Vehicle model and the dds Texture file, it is advisable to name it something such as follows:

cv_chp.dds to cv_chpt.v3o

Now, you need to open the editor, load the modification and then select "unpack file" again you will have to navigate to the same folder but the editor shows the folder structure a bit different:

Mod:Models\Vehicles\03 LA Police\

Find your renamed dds which for the example is cv_chpt.v3o and press ok, this will unpack the file so you may edit it.

Now you need to rename the file back to dds, in order for the vehicle model file to recognize the texture be sure to rename it back to what it originally was, which in this example is cv_chp.dds

Once this is done you then have to either convert the dds file using a dds converter (one is available in our downloads section) or import it using Photoshop.

Convert/save the image to whatever format you wish to use, .BMP, .PNG, .TGA, etc. whichever you prefer and open it in the painting application of your choosing and alter it as necessary to do whatever you wish to do to the vehicle skin.

Now you have to take your texture and turn it back into the dds file for the model file which accompanies the vehicle to recognize it's new texture.

Ensure that all of the dds files you have changed are in the folder where they belong and when you load the editor you should see your newly skinned vehicle there now.

I am trying to simple move the aerial ladder from la mod to a private mod and get no image to it. or it's tires. I tried this step as well as the excel trick and neither worked for me. Any ideas? This is the only unit this is happening too.

Is this what it looks like when you go to edit it......if so how you edit it and keep details

Bless you. I had an issue with this one.

Hello after all this reading on this topic, I was able to figure out what I was doing wrong with unlocking files.

If you have windows vista this is what I did. The easy way is to go into Programs to sixteen stone right click on EM4 edit. Go to properties and look for the tab security, click on it and put your settings on Administrator. Go back and open EM4 file models file rename Dss files too dodge_charger_chp.dds.v3o what ever you want to re-skin. When you rename the file you should get a window that pops up changing the file will be come unsable. Also you need to unchecked file extensions in folder options under control panel.

Go back into the editor and go to LA mod 2.0 unlock the file. Return EM4 folder and rename the file back to the same name as before. Open it with Paint Net and start to re-skin. I wrote this hopefully this will make it easier for someone looking to re-skin good luck thanks to all who posted the information.

So I managed to do the reskin how I wanted in Photshop with a .dss plug in, I save the file as a .dss and rename it to it's original .dss name. I then open the editor and all I have is a black box with wheels and lights. Was I supposed to repack the file or what did I do wrong?

If you named the extension .dss then that's the problem. It should be .dds.

ok I need help unlocking my vehicles to reskin. First I go to the dds file of the vehicle that I want to unlock the skins for. Then I change it to something different like (cv_lapd.dds-------cv_lapdt.v3o). Once I change that I go to the editor and load my mod, unpack the file and close the editor. Last I go to Paint.net and try to open the file it gives me an error message.

What did I do wrong? Can someone explain this to me?

ok I need help unlocking my vehicles to reskin. First I go to the dds file of the vehicle that I want to unlock the skins for. Then I change it to something different like (cv_lapd.dds-------cv_lapdt.v3o). Once I change that I go to the editor and load my mod, unpack the file and close the editor. Last I go to Paint.net and try to open the file it gives me an error message.

What did I do wrong? Can someone explain this to me?

After you unpack it from the editor, you need to change it back to the original .dds name. This is a outline tutorial of what you need to do pretty much.

• Unlock DDS Files required for vehicle.
    • Find DDS file in models folder
    • Rename file to something else and change extension from dds to v3o
    • Extension change allows editor to unpack file to make readable for programs.
    • Ex: cv_chp.dds to cv_chpt.v3o

• Open the editor.
    • Load mod
    • Select Unpack File and navigate to models folder
    • Find the renamed DDS and press ok. This will unpack the file for editing.
    • Ex: cv_chpt.v3o

• Rename v3o back to DDS
    • This will allow vehicle model to recognize texture
    • Rename it back to original name
    • Ex: cv_chp.dds

• Import to photoshop
    • Convert / save image to whatever format
    • Alter it as necessary

• Convert back to DDS
    • Take texture and turn back into DDS file for the model file.
    • Use DDS converter

• All DDS files in folder
    • All dds files you changed are in folder where they belong.
    • Load editor and see newly skinned vehicle there.