Guest emergency3freak

Emergency! Magazine

Guest emergency3freak

Hey Guys

I was wondering if we could make a magazine called Emergency!!!! Magazine. It would we about Mods that are being made Progress and updates on Hoppahs New Map and etc. It would be a downloadable Magazine every Month. If you are interested in helping plaese pm me!!!!

Thanks

Emergency3Freak

Since Emergency is a daily used word it is not copyrighted lol

Yes that true but Emergency! with the ! is the name of US TV Show. From the 70, and that I bet is copywrited.

Guest GB619

I thought this froum was a kind of place to find out info about EM series and the MODS to go with it,the only difference is you have more to read,and besides i would have thought it takes a longtime to collate all the info about mods etc and release them as an e-news letter,but heys its upto the peeps with the power if they so wish to pursue this issue

As fun as it sounds, I think a blog of the sorts would be more entertaining. If you have about 10 or so trusted writers who can post updates on mods, neat game-play enhancements, as well as information regarding future version of Emergency (6, 7, 99+!) a fun community can be created around it.

Yank those who own the site together and create a community of people with writing experience and create a site dedicated to all things emergency, yes, there is a forum and CMS already here, but the content is so limited and the forum tends to be hard to search. If you have enough people to post maybe one neat article every-other-day, it might improve the functionality of the core community and bring a bit more life back to the game as a whole. Magazines don't allow for comments and they require lots of more work than a multi-member blogging group located right here.

Though a magazine would be fun, an integrated blogging system might be your best bet. I've learn from another site that I'm apart of (non-emergency related) that when people volunteer for a magazine, they usually don't end up working on it and leave it all to the person who started it.

On grounds of copyright, in the United States you can't really copyright a word. A logo yes, but you trademark the word, but not if that word is an everyday thing. But even with copyright, if you study it, you learn ways to "legally violate it". To go into this further, I'd put Hoppahs mod at risk of having everyone distributing their own versions and I of course don't want him mad at me. D= But if done in the proper way, using names like such, images, and other bits of pieces, you can use such material... How ever, when possible, it's best to just say please, especially when such people/companies are easy to contact.

This idea does not float too well for a few reasons, essentailly your "bloggers" (or writers) would have to be insiders that the people who do the work (that'd be the mod makers) actually enjoy talking to... Basically there's your fundamental problem right there, you have no way of gettin information any more efficiently than is already provided by the people who are doing the work themselves... Blogs by definition SHOULD have some requirement of intimate knowledge of what ye speaks of... Sadly, as I've seen many blogs around, that generally is not the case.. One may be a supreme wordsmith, however purty the flow of words may be from your lips, those words are just as empty as the "NUH UH" from a 5 year old unless you know the field which you are speaking of... Forums may be loaded with useless banter and ravel from the masses, but none the less a blog can be just as difficult if those who are writing it lack the ability to write any productive information.

Perhaps I am mistaken here and this time it will see success, it all depends on who you manage to pool and how well "connected" they really are, along with whether or not they know enough to actually push informative things in their blogs....

Guest Mav1701

Yeah I just don't think that your subject is broad enough to generate a blog, especially a blog with multiple writers. Newsletters are definitely out, too clunky.

As much as we all love it, E4 even with mods is not overly complex. We don't need strategy guides and there really isn't much in the way of "cool things" to feature. It's a relatively small community so there is just no that much to update, given the slow progress on mods.

Something that made make a good addition to this site is a monthly update on mod progress, via some sort of submission system. It might even motivate some modders to do some work so they stay in the spotlight (I'm talking about the smaller mods, not Hoppah obviously)

And any update to LA Mod progress might warrant a front page post too. The pinned "news" topic is excellent though less important during this labor intense 'map making' period. But updates of that would go well on the portal.

That all depends on whether there is a desire for any 'front page' activity. I admin'd a community similar to this for a game creation system (MZX) and as time went on, the main site became obsolete - everything happened on the forums. And here, with an announcement forum and a dedicated Lamod forum that is well run, its pretty easy to get the info you need.

@MikeyPI.

Yes, I understand what you're saying but the theory behind it is that the blog would be incorporated into this site and have the information out first. While yes, you can look at each mods thread and search through millions of mindless posts about "when is this going to be release?!?!11one11". As new features come out and "presents" are given, the community would report and make it a bit more simple for the masses keep up with. While this may seem slightly redundant, in essence it makes it easy and provides more notability for some of those add-ons that make slow progress. There are many things that can be reported on in terms of the overall game. Weekly tid-bits involving simple modification guides and the alike. I'm not saying blog about ones life, I'm talking more in the context of how many companies do. Web hosting groups tend to release new features they're planning, announce specific upgrades, etc, etc. And while we're not the company who publishes the game, the community here is big enough to improve on a "fan-site" much more than just a forum.

The tutorials section was a good start at moving forward, and the forum contains many tutorials but you have to sort through hours of reading and countless pages just to find one thing. The search function begins to fail one so many articles contain the same keywords, yet hosts useless information. Do you know how many pointless pages come up when you want to learn how to put a new engine in fire station 2 on a modified map? I think you're looking at it more from the point of view of high-quality literary blogging. The goal is to cut done and simply the information directly in a easy to read location. Integrate the blogging with the forum and you have people coming here to find the information they want and being directed to the correct location. Less clutter in searching and more "here is what I want and how do it."

I think you fail to see the general point of it. There is plenty of information contained in the forums. It simply needs to be organized for ease of use. Please express other concerns besides just lack of poetic content.

@Mav1701 (Edited)

You bring up a good point in terms of "front page" but it is all about how you incorporate them. I work for a company online where everything is handled at the forum. Tech support, questions about modifications to service, business tips and advice etc, etc and a small group of us have been working to create off-site resources. But that's where the problem lies, not incorporating a site with the forum. Of course with blogs like WordPress you can add a built-in forum to the blog, but this is of course no an option for this site. Proper "cross" promoting of the forum and blog together would bridge the gap. What I'm say is not impossible to achieve. If you make the front page look nothing like the forum, and don't ingrate them, you're of course going to make one more popular than the other.

Now understand, a blog is just one idea. It functions a bit better than a magazine because seriously, a blog is the new digital magazine. Even newspapers are using them.

-SirMoo-

Apparently you missed the point, not surprising to me, but hey... The fundamental problem is that there are very few who "know" what you wish to inform other's of... Now, if you wish to scan through the forums and try to compile it, by all means, but we certainly do not have the time to do this.. Blogs in general, even corporate REQUIRE that there be something to add... Being this is a hobby for many, there is simply no way you can guarentee that there will be updates, someone such as myself won't release updates like "I added a light to this model" because in the end, what point does it serve other than adding another post to an already convoluted forum. Sad fact is that there is not nearly enough going on most the time to justify blogs about it, the tutorials placed into a system similar to the FAQs would have the same impact without requiring further modifications or infrastructure put into place, merely a compilation on a specific topic and a request to have it locked and moved. This would be very simple and unlike the concept of an "elite" 10 people responsible for attempting to update something regularly, which is what this concept would require to not go dead in the water, the method I proposed would meet the same objective but permit all users currently active to have the same opportunity to contribute to compile related items into their respective topics. Perhaps this will clarify the concerns to a level which you might understand rather than just the "poetic" side you apparently opted to take from the last post.

Guest jacob1029

I have a decent idea for a saughta blog.

We could set up a twitter account for mod members only, so all people would say was

"Hoppah has just reskinned his chevy ambo"

"Jacob1029 has just made an airport rescue tender"

Quick,easy and keeps the community in the know ;)

I have a decent idea for a saughta blog.

We could set up a twitter account for mod members only, so all people would say was

"Hoppah has just reskinned his chevy ambo"

"Jacob1029 has just made an airport rescue tender"

Quick,easy and keeps the community in the know ;)

I prefer something on my mail..

With twitter I got same problem as hyves -.- I never look at it..

I check my mail every day so thats better fot me but.. for some others maybe not

Guest jacob1029
I prefer something on my mail..

With twitter I got same problem as hyves -.- I never look at it..

I check my mail every day so thats better fot me but.. for some others maybe not

People can get really pee'd off sometimes with mail but I see your point.

I'd like to help too. PM me, and you can have my XFire, if you don't already got it.
i will help pm

adam wheawell

I don't think you fully understand what the situation is.