William Stapleford

WIP Crowne Vic Black and White

Bringing back the old Crowne Vic Black and White police car.

During my limited downtime I have been working on a 3d model of an older Crowne Victorian Black and White police car.  Using 3dmax and several other programs I hope to soon be able to get her into the game.  I will try and keep this updated as the mod progresses and have given Killerconsti permission to post screenshots or other information on my behalf.

He and I have worked on a prev mod that he is finishing up and make a pretty good team.  He is a very fast learner and has helped me out and get me into the basic understanding of how this game works.

Hopefully between the two of us we can get her into the game and usable for the community.  Now if I could just get together with someone who could start to reskin the redo the maps we would be well on our way to a US mod for the game.  For now though this will be a test for me of getting a new 3d model into the game and workable.

For now the vehicle exist in the 3d editor program.

working on transparent windows, working doors, working trunk, working command and equipment arrays, strobes (hehe here in the US we like FLASHY vehicles) and a laundry list of other things to come

hope to get an unmarked version and an 

SUV version as well if it all comes together.

Progress report and screenshots to come when able.

Have a great day and stay safe

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

police_vic_WIP_2.jpg

police_vic_WIP_3.jpg

Edited by William Stapleford
added images finally
  • Upvote 1

Another update on the crowne vic black and white.  Well things are moving along nicely but I have yet to try and get her from the 3ds Max into the game as of right now.  I think I may see a couple complications and the first is the transparent windows.  I like them alot however I don't think EM5-2016 will allow it.  So for now they will stay transparent.  

Changes made so far.  Parts have been separated for wheels, front driver door, rear driver side door, front pass door, rear pass door, the trunk will be added as an equipment door.  All the lights are separated and if all goes well I hope to make the red/blue light bar available as a separated unit to add to the Emergency world builder.  That way you could attach it to ANY vehicle.  This is yet to come.  Interior has been done and the model has been slimmed down on the polygons count.

There are a few graphical anomalies with the model.  The first is you can see that even though the texture was 2 sided it still does not work.  The police UV Map can be seen through the roof and the doors, also at some angles it will appear that the car has missing parts.  However the camera angles for em5-2016 won't really allow this view.  Working on fixing that.  I added edging to the doors to make the look more 3d and not flat.  They were paper thing before now they look like more of a car door.

Hope to get it imported soon into the game for some screenshots in EM5-2016.  Stay tuned and hopefully time will allow some more work.

police_vic_WIP_reas.jpg

added transparent textures to the windows and lightbar.  Front grill has been made into more of a grey metal with glossiness.

police_vic_WIP_reas_2.jpg

A quick look at a graphic anomaly with two sided textures NOT working as of now.  You can also see that more or a metal shine has been added to the material file and uv mapping.

police_vic_WIP_reas_3.jpg 

A quick view into the interior of the vehicle, just to show that it does have a basic one.  In case EM5-2016 camera angles can ever be adjusted to view at street level.  Also gone are the flat doors, they "sorta" look realistic.  It is very hard to keep the poly count down and make the vehicle look realistic.

Finally here is a screenshot of another old fellow hoping to make a comeback.  The old Ford Series Diesel Ambulance.  In this quick shot below you can see it being assembled bit by bit.  Updates to come on both and once again thanks to Killerconsti for the help with getting some things to work in 3ds max and I'm sure he will be helping me further with the export into the game.

old_ford_ambulance_WIP_build_1.jpg 

Hope everyone has a good night / day and hope to get some more updates soon.

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

• Upvote 1

Ben12, These models will be released one at a time after it has been tested.  They still need alot of work before they are ready.  I'm hoping that someone can start working on getting some of the MAPS redone.  Anyone wants to volunteer some help please let me know.  For now all the vehicles will simply be non-livery.  They will not belong to any particular township or state.  This can be changed very easily by re texturing the models when someone comes up with a city.  I have yet to even try and re-skin or remodel a map.  Maybe later.

I have limited time and access over here so updates are slow coming however I have been in contact with killerconsti via email directly so if I can get a photo up or something then he will have permission to post on my behalf.  Here is my plan of attack for the future.

I have been taking models from games and other places and lowering the polygon counts and begin ripping then into pieces and texture them.  I have also started building some models from blue prints that have been found online.  These are taking much longer then what I thought.  

Models to come hopefully (some being worked on now)

Black and white Crowne Vic (Ford)

Unmarked Crowne Vic (Ford)

Dodge Durango Police SUV

Dodge Charger Police Car

Ford Diesel Large Ambulance

Chevy Express EMT Ambulance

Chevy Suburban Medical, Chevy Suburban Police, Chevy Suburban Fire 

Large MACK Fire pumper truck

Large MACK Fire Heavy Rescue

Swat Armored Transport Vehicle

Chevy Express Utility Van (Engineer Vehicle)

More vehicles will come as soon as I get them to work in the game and find out how bad the frame rates will be hit.

Each one of these vehicles takes some time and then factor in the limited access I have over here and you will have to be patient.  If for some reason I can not get them into the game then hopefully Killerconsti can take the models and get them in for me if I send him all the files.  

Time will only tell.

Hope everyone has a great day

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

• Upvote 1

Each one of these vehicles takes some time and then factor in the limited access I have over here and you will have to be patient.  If for some reason I can not get them into the game then hopefully Killerconsti can take the models and get them in for me if I send him all the files.  

Time will only tell.

I have just some tips for you as I have allready importet 3 model sets TM170 SW4 by Polygonfabrik and VW T5 by ModCha and Layher SpeedyScaff which I ve created in the past days.

-the textures in 3ds max arent too important. I often just use the colormap *_c.tif . You can add them later by hand in the worldbuilder without trouble

-your material,models,tesxtures names may only include [a-z][0-9] and [_]. This is really important

-after scaling reset the pivots transformation AND scale (at least before you export)

I didnt messed too much with the polycount recently but for vehices I've heard that 5k - 7k is just fine

Nice. I suggest the Ford Police Interceptor, Ford Explorer, Chevy Impala, and Chevy Caprice. Also the Ford F- series (whatever it might be) will be good for ambulances. You may want to flatten that lightbar into a LED one, that would get rid of a lot of polys (quick math: 3 triangles will go for every 4 currently) if you need/ want it. Or just make two versions, that sounds better.

nah, it dont make too much difference. The thing that is a bit annoying is that you have a see-through effects of the lighting if you dont take too much attention on this when creating the lights (e.g. indicators). You have however a huge range of possible lightings, you can setup custom lighting animations AND you can even create lighting with a texture (called emissive map)

Not too much time to be on here but here is an update.  I wish I could say things are going good with this model however nothing is working when it comes to getting this model into em2016. It always gives me an error and killerconsti has been doing his best to help.   This game is so frustrating when it comes to doing something simple.  Hopefully it will be ready.  When it is ready I will be working on the lights as well.  I have several real life videos and lighting patterns from whelen lights, code 3, solar blast etc.  I have learned alot when it comes to making strobes and patterns.  If all goes well i will be importing a few different light bars that can be added to models later as a completed object with lighting effects.

The thing that sucks with em2016 is that lighting flares and spots will always go out of sync when the view is changed and the light is rendered again.  So after awhile they will be lost and unless the vehicle is reloaded the effects will stay out of timing.

Then of course there is the see through problem as well.

Hopefully I will be able to post online soon so positive results.

Time will tell.

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

33 minutes ago, William Stapleford said:

Not too much time to be on here but here is an update.  I wish I could say things are going good with this model however nothing is working when it comes to getting this model into em2016. It always gives me an error and killerconsti has been doing his best to help.   This game is so frustrating when it comes to doing something simple.  Hopefully it will be ready.  When it is ready I will be working on the lights as well.  I have several real life videos and lighting patterns from whelen lights, code 3, solar blast etc.  I have learned alot when it comes to making strobes and patterns.  If all goes well i will be importing a few different light bars that can be added to models later as a completed object with lighting effects.

The thing that sucks with em2016 is that lighting flares and spots will always go out of sync when the view is changed and the light is rendered again.  So after awhile they will be lost and unless the vehicle is reloaded the effects will stay out of timing.

Then of course there is the see through problem as well.

Hopefully I will be able to post online soon so positive results.

Time will tell.

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

Im not very good nor experiencd with em5/2016, but maybe if its at least something like em4, you could just replace the existing vehicles in the game with the new models if that helps. I wish you the best of luck.

Well an update but not a good one......

I finally figured out what was causing my problem and so far it does not appear to have an easy solution, but will serve as a learning experience for round two.

Basically it would seem that 16 Tons has made it so that only 1 material may be used on the model at a time.  So for the crownevic car I had a total of 5 used the windows, the housing, the specular lighting etc.  It made it look far LESS cartoonish as it was mentioned earlier.  So for I test I decided to drop all the textures but the main one and convert it to a .TIFF file and import it.  The thing finally showed up but is so small it is approx the size of a matchbox car compared to the the .stw model.

So what does this mean?

I now understand why the models in the game never used transparency in any textures and have the blacked out window look.  Basically for me I will have to go back and redesign the model UV mapping from scratch again and also recompile it so that the texture poly count is lower.

I may also try and grab some REAL photos of vehicles I have saved on my hard drive from working with local law enforcement to get rid of the cartoonish textures.  I'm not sure what to do with the windows as the black windows on a black car look like crap.  

Back to the drawing board but not giving up.  Now that I learned this though I can now correct issues with the SUV and the ambulance before getting to this point.  

The other thing that I might try is making each object its own project but this would be very ugly and a huge waste of space and confusing to the people that would download a mod.  

If anyone knows how to get a duel or tri material object into this game please let me know.  As for the crownevic she will be going back to the design phase once again.

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

On 3/15/2016 at 10:49 PM, mr matt5432123 said:

Im not very good nor experiencd with em5/2016, but maybe if its at least something like em4, you could just replace the existing vehicles in the game with the new models if that helps. I wish you the best of luck.

Don't worry about not being good its fun to learn but just be cautious of what you are doing as it can really mess the game up.  Between killerconsti and myself we know what needs to be changed to get a vehicle into the game without replacing the vehicles in game so if you have any models please let up know the more the merrier.  He has created a great tutorial about models and texturing.  I also had a tutorial about changing game files as well that could help.  Don't be afraid to try just always have a backup and have fun.

My cars use multiple materials (2/3 times the standart material if that helps).It shouldnt be the fault of 16t but maybe you use an older/newer ogre exporter. There are trial versions that allow justone material if i remember correctly - but i used a free version that allowed multiple materials. 16t tons has made also examples like the bus station (glas and non-glass materials). And also dont make a mess between textures and material. Materialneeds to be set in 3ds max. But its totally uninteresting if you even assigned a texture in 3ds max. You can drag and drop .tif textures anytime into the worldbuilder and assign them to your new model with the help of he material editor

Regards Consti

Ok after some very long days in the field, I finally got some time to work on it again.  Starting almost from ground zero with the model this is the crown vic police interceptor version 2.  The first version had to be abandoned to to several mistakes that I made in 3ds max and some things that I did not save and should have.  The end result was an OK model but with many many problems with Texture rendering and placements.  Also the vehicle was being imported in approx 25 different mesh pieces and was impossible to put together.  Version 2 of the interceptor now has a lower polygon count and has fixed many issues with texture rendering.  Also is imported in far less parts.  Please note that it still has a long way to go BUT for me this serves as my very first model into the editor from almost scratch.

Without any delay here are the shots from in the editor.  (The parts are not attached as of this point and it is not animated.)

import_em2016_1.jpg

Ok looks like crap here but this is the main body with no other parts attached.  Mostly properly scaled and for the first time the screenshot is from EM2016 and not 3ds max.  A big victory for me.

import_em2016_2.jpg

(UMMM ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHER LOL)  Here she is.  FINALLY..

Not sure about the actual dimensions of the em2016 default objects.  I personally think the scale is a bit off.  I'm not really sure what the 100% correct scale is for the vehicles but to me the fire trucks look small.  The crown vic is scaled to be what the blueprints show in ft converted to meters.  Slightly larger then the station wagon in length but lower over all height.  Not sure I think it is too small.  Textures look so so much better in 3ds max so I'm not sure why they look horrible to me in this shot.  Windows have some issues with textures that ONLY show in this game.   Not sure why.  Emmisive lighting maps are not done and no work has been done to adding strobes as of yet.

Proof that I AM working on this lol its just very hard with the little bit of time I get some days.

import_em2016_3.jpg

The rear of the vehicle came out really good.  I'm hoping to add some reflective points to the rear hazard sticker and the blue sides.  This may mean making an emmisive light map with those highlighted so make the barely glow compared to the headlights.  In REAL LIFE at night these things look like they have LED lights in them to light them up when reflecting light from traffic.  Really awesome and hope to be able to make it work in game as well.  If you zoom in real close it even has the "police" USA reflective flags on the side and rear.  If you look at the passenger rear window you can see a glitch in the window for some reason.  Hopefully someone can tell me why the game renders it wrong but in 3ds max it looks perfect.  The windows are NOT transparent as of this point.  Real lens photos and images are used for the tail lights and reverse strobes as well.    Looks much less cartoonish as of right now.  No sure why the reflections off the other emergency lights don't shine all the well off the vehicle.  Also the sun does not reflect off the texture for some reason.

Stay Tuned I AM working on this.  Other models are also being worked on as noted in previous post.  I think once I get all these little things ironed out I will be able to start getting these done faster and get a small fleet in game.  Wont look right in the current version of the game as all the textures need to be changed to US but still cool.

Hope everyone has a great day.

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

Well I would normally agree however I would need to know the specs on the cars and fire trucks being used in the game.  

I can pull specs for all the American equipment because I know most of them and have been around them all my life.  However the other equipment portrayed in the game I would not have a clue about.

If you know what the exact models are or specs please let me know.  I can convert the numbers to get a better portyayal of the correct scale.

I also noticed that for the most part that unless someone modifies the camera parameters Then not much attention needs to be made to small details as the current camera will not pan low enough.

I may need to cut a few more things from my models unless this is fixed for performance reasons.

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

Quick update on this project.  It is coming along and every time I do something I'm getting better and better.  I'm also gaining an understanding of how the game handles the files and where they are called from to make things work.   Most of my issues as of this point and the long holdup is dealing with uvw and how I keep messing them up when making changes to the 3d model in 3ds max.  Here are some screens of getting the lighting emmisive lighting working as of now. 

Note that there are several problems with the lighting that are texture related and being looked into.  Also still having issues with the window uvw mapping.

crownvic_light_size1.jpg

Front headlights are working but the front hood has issues with the uvw clipping the edge.  See the mark on the hood.  I believe at this point the size is just about correct vs the general items in the game.  Using realistic specs for the crown vi police interceptor converted to meters.   No actual lighting effects at this time.  This is just the emmisive lighting map.

crownvic_light_size2.jpg

Rear tail lights may be too bright but fit in well with the rest of the vehicles.  I think I will be decreasing the brightness so that the BRAKE lights will work without blinding and causing the white halo.  Texture for the rear driver window are messed up.  This is still being worked on.  The lighting map will also include the license plate lighting that is required in the states.  Emmisive turn signals are NOT working yet.  Still investigating how the game using lighting map materials.

Still have to do the specular mapping, normal mapping, alpha mapping.  Hopefully this will bring some more light to it.  I was able to fix the see through trunk space as well.   So now when the trunk is open and or doors the ground can NOT be seen below.

If time allows I'm hoping to also post in a new forum later some of the works in progress.  These are models that are being worked on but are not at a point to have a forum.  I have been unsuccessful at modding the actual person model other then re texturing.

Hope everyone stays safe and has a great day.

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA

I have been working but not as hard as I wish on the models.  Hit a brick wall right now with getting it to work in EM2016 though and I'm hoping that Killer will get my email and give me a few more points.  I'm also hoping that once I get the idea and get this first model into the game then all the others should follow.  I don't have any new screens as my current internet bandwidth here is too low to really post anything.  I can say that I had the model assembled and with minor lighting adjustments but am still having some texture problems and animation problems.  Both need to be worked on.

So far this model will have 

Rotating Red, and Blue roof light bar The old Halogen type.

Front headlamps have Wig-Wag pattern

Rear Brake lamp strobes

Rear Reverse light strobes

Front grill red and blue strobes

Driver and passenger side, Lamphus red and blue strobes

Hope to get some screens soon.

Everyone stay safe and have a great day

William516

Bill

Delaware, USA