Dyson

Vent Script

Hi guys,

So I've been working on a ventilation script, but I'm struggling with one aspect. Getting the guys to climb the ladder. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to use an object as a person won't be able to move up a diagonal ladder. But does anyone know of any way to make an object move diagonally across all 3 axis?

The rest of the script is done I'm just having troubles with the climbing aspect so I'm appealing to the community for any ideas.

I can provide more info if I've been a bit vague but hope some of the scripters out there have some ideas :)

Dyson

That's what I've been trying but as far as I can tell there's no way for the game to find the positions on the ladder child's. The game can find child positions on vehicles but the ladder parts are supertruck Childs and not general child's if that makes sense.

As for your first suggestion if you mean changing the placement from custom to none and then move from position (base) to (basket) that's another way I've tried but I haven't been able to get it to work. :(

I dont think its possible by script to find the SuperChilds on any vehicle. It can only search for childObjects placed in the "childs" section and not the superchilds section.

[Curse you Em4]

It would probably be a matter of making every building have a walkable roof and putting the childObject on these walkable sections. The script would simply find the ladder childObject placed at the bottom of the ladder, and then the childObject of the walkable roof part, and have the FF move from the ladder one to the roof one using the MoveToPosition.

Another issue that needs to be dealt with is the fact that you also need to script logic that prevents more than one FF going up and down at the same time. A dummy script or condition in the push actions section should do it.

How does this vent script affect gameplay? Does it make fires easier to put out, or is it pure cosmetics?

The same on from the vehicle. But I'm thinking spawn him direct to the roof, but then hide and create an object on position base, then move to basket diagonally then delete object and show person. The only issue is getting the object to move diagonally. I tried move to position but they seem to just either do nothing or move to random points.

Once again, I will say this: Curse you Em4. So many things you and your younger brother, Em5 could have been.

Haha amen to that.

The interesting thing is that it has been done -

So I just literally want to be able to replicate this. When I get home I'm going to try using an object model again and trying to move to position but I've not had luck with that so far

Haha amen to that.

The interesting thing is that it has been done -

So I just literally want to be able to replicate this. When I get home I'm going to try using an object model again and trying to move to position but I've not had luck with that so far

Ahh good old 2009. I wish those guys were still around.

Yeah, they managed it but I've been trying to figure out how. At the moment the script all works fine, the ffs just spawn at the moment if I could get them or an object to climb in between which should be fairly straight forward then it will look a little more seamless and smooth

If this is for openHouses, I think I know how they might have done it. They probably had the ladder install as usual. There probably was a childObject on the openHouse as well. What they probably did was they created a secondary dummy object on the Openhouse but it only exists when the ladder is in use. They then set this secondary object as the Target for the MoveToPosition function.

Yeah I can simulate this with a child position or object position ( I create a dummy target on the roof) and they can move between but I've just not been able to get the object to move diagonally I've got the two target points but just the actual movement is the issue. I'll double try again tonight but I wasn't having much luck

MoveToPosition takes in a GameObject as its target for motion. My theory is that it would simply require the creation of a secondary object where the firefighter climbs up. I do hope that you've handled the going down part and the script is fool-proof, that way the player can't break the script.

Yeah getting down already set up and I'm going to try and break it once I've got it all working smooth with the climb and yeah I created a dummy object on the roof so will try again using that as a target and the object as the movable object. Hopefully it'll work this time. I just wanted to check move to position isn't limited to XY movement and can move along the Z axis too

Yeah I've got an object placed on the roof to target for the install script anyway so I'll try and get the climb to work with that too. I'll see how it goes next time I'm on my pc hopefully it'll work and that will be that. Thanks for the help I'll update later tonight :)

I dont think its possible by script to find the SuperChilds on any vehicle. It can only search for childObjects placed in the "childs" section and not the superchilds section.

Would the 'Superchilds' section be what is brought up from Edit Prototype - Edit Children - Edit Child's? Since with the limited water script you place a small object (Normally something like a golf ball) in there for the position of where the Pump controller would stand. Would there be some point in the script where is has to find that?