Pandemic

Emergency 5 - Your impression?

For me, it isn't the framerates.

I just really don't like this new UI. I can't see how we're going to fit new scripts from mods into the existing command UI, and the fact that vehicles have pretty much only THREE commands, and you can't control lights or siren or anything. It feels like this has been dumbed down for the mass market and we've lost what made EM4 - EM4; a niche simulator with GREAT modding potential. 

I agree that it's been dumbed down and definitely miss the way EM4 was set up, and i don't like how they take units away from you if you won't need it on a map. Hopefully the modding community can figure out how to change that, they certainly done amazing things with the previous games. I also have had the "dispatcher" give me jobs and then the events don't appear, and I've also had random suspects appear on the map not tied to an event.  As for issues with running the game, I got a my new computer Monday:

Intel Core i7-4790

16GB Dual Channel DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760Ti

runs fine with everything set to high, but I did have it slow down once when I had a large fire with multiple units.

Anyone know how to change the resolution in the game? The resolution slot in the options are blank for me.

You can edit the resolution manually by editing this file: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Promotion Software GmbH\EMERGENCY 5\emergency_5_settings.json

It should be on lines 22 and 23.

From what I've played so far - I hope they gave hoppah early access because the game desperately needs him to fix it.

The missions are hopelessly simple and rather lame and they seem rather lazy. No cut scenes like other EM games, just some goofy announcement. Game mechanics are also pretty arcade like. Police officers that take damage in a fight automatically regenerate health. And, of course, the fps issues as already mentioned. All in all. A pretty weak game. Definitely NOT worth the $44 I paid.

I've played 11hrs now, so I'll give my impressions.

Multiplayer seems... not to work correctly? It appears "Cooperative" is just competitive again.  I have deduced this as a result of some specific evidence:

• Timed?  No point to time coop
  • No choice between endless and challenge like single player
  • Shows individual scores

Also, no traffic.  No idea what is up with that.  Very few units in MP, I looked and it's just a simple JSON script that just has "0" set for the amount of most of the units.  No idea why.  Your friend's units are transparent, no idea why, and they are not even completely transparent.  Really bizzare

Single player campaign does have cut-scenes.. most of the premises of the missions are beyond ridiculous.  There are a few logical emergencies, but most devolve into really bizarre situations (I won't give any "spoilers", although I do not think it matters much) of random explosions.  This was until I reached the Oil Rig/Flood mission which is broken so I cannot play any further.

Freeplay single player has some things right.  First, variety of emergencies tends to go into the realim of realism with car accidents, fires, etc.  Not like stock EM4 which was a collection of insane things.  

But this is my major issue with the game.  Yes, not the FPS, that is the MAJOR issue, but that can be resolved and is not subjective.  For me, the pace of the game is too quick.  In EM4, you could get simultaneous emergencies.  But it was not the rule, it was the exception.  Now, there is also no break between missions.  Just a few seconds to send your units back to base to prepare for 2 more imminent emergencies.  In EM4/3, the emergencies came at random intervals, much like real life.  I cannot take time to appreciate anything.  Not the models, the graphics, or even focus on a specific emergency because I am so over-run constantly switching tasks.. it is far too fast paced in my opnion.

Here is an example:

I do not even use police unless it is a police emergency.  In EM4 Say LA Mod, I would always use police to block the road, redirect and so forth.  Now, I am so over run I don't have time to do those activities, I just go, let the 4 cars get backed up because there is so little traffic, and then move on.  No emergent game-play.

As for the units, I am impressed in this area.  Police are very powerful now, great arsenal of tools.  Fire is about the same, automatic hose connections is a mixed bag, when it works it is nice, when it doesn't it is a right pain in the ass.  

THW (Technical Rescue units) are nice.. but they ALL have sirens.  The tech service Range Rover, I get it.  The tow truck.. I can't.  The crane... I really can't.  Just makes no sense in my opinion.  

Also.. no flood lights on vehicles anymore.  That was useful at night, makes no sense I am at a car accident in the bloody dark reviving people.  

Any thoughts on this?

Could you check your FPS? I'd be interested to see it. I've seen people will all level of hardware report horrible FPS. I get 10 - 20 and I've got a 290.

I never bother to check fps in over 20 years of playing with computer i am hardly going to start now. 

Would it do any harm? It's obviously your decision but I'd be quite interested in the number and it's not like it's a huge task.

Well as there no command line or key that I aware of to show gps in game and I do not have any such programs installed. Yes why would I install something that could degrade my a systems performance thus most likely hurting game performance.

As I said I have not need such crap in 20 years I am sure not going to start now.

I've played 11hrs now, so I'll give my impressions.

Multiplayer seems... not to work correctly? It appears "Cooperative" is just competitive again.  I have deduced this as a result of some specific evidence:

• Timed?  No point to time coop
  • No choice between endless and challenge like single player
  • Shows individual scores

Also, no traffic.  No idea what is up with that.  Very few units in MP, I looked and it's just a simple JSON script that just has "0" set for the amount of most of the units.  No idea why.  Your friend's units are transparent, no idea why, and they are not even completely transparent.  Really bizzare

Single player campaign does have cut-scenes.. most of the premises of the missions are beyond ridiculous.  There are a few logical emergencies, but most devolve into really bizarre situations (I won't give any "spoilers", although I do not think it matters much) of random explosions.  This was until I reached the Oil Rig/Flood mission which is broken so I cannot play any further.

Freeplay single player has some things right.  First, variety of emergencies tends to go into the realim of realism with car accidents, fires, etc.  Not like stock EM4 which was a collection of insane things.  

But this is my major issue with the game.  Yes, not the FPS, that is the MAJOR issue, but that can be resolved and is not subjective.  For me, the pace of the game is too quick.  In EM4, you could get simultaneous emergencies.  But it was not the rule, it was the exception.  Now, there is also no break between missions.  Just a few seconds to send your units back to base to prepare for 2 more imminent emergencies.  In EM4/3, the emergencies came at random intervals, much like real life.  I cannot take time to appreciate anything.  Not the models, the graphics, or even focus on a specific emergency because I am so over-run constantly switching tasks.. it is far too fast paced in my opnion.

Here is an example:

I do not even use police unless it is a police emergency.  In EM4 Say LA Mod, I would always use police to block the road, redirect and so forth.  Now, I am so over run I don't have time to do those activities, I just go, let the 4 cars get backed up because there is so little traffic, and then move on.  No emergent game-play.

As for the units, I am impressed in this area.  Police are very powerful now, great arsenal of tools.  Fire is about the same, automatic hose connections is a mixed bag, when it works it is nice, when it doesn't it is a right pain in the ass.  

THW (Technical Rescue units) are nice.. but they ALL have sirens.  The tech service Range Rover, I get it.  The tow truck.. I can't.  The crane... I really can't.  Just makes no sense in my opinion.  

Also.. no flood lights on vehicles anymore.  That was useful at night, makes no sense I am at a car accident in the bloody dark reviving people.  

Any thoughts on this?

You can get past the flood mission. Get all the other vehicles out of the water first than get the one in the middle that causes the crane to go into the water. Make sure the area is clear of everything and dont let the crane go over the guardrail or it will get stuck. It takes  few times but you will get past it. 

As for the speed of the game i think its okay its not too hectic but your right you dont really have time to get really into one event. But em4 was the same way and i had to edit the files to make freeplay more enjoyable. So i hope there is a file we can edit for that here as well. 

On another note, ive played through the majority of the campaign and im impressed. The mission setup is different but i find it much more realistic than before. I think the missions are actually easier because they are more realistic and smaller scale. And i like the scoring system i think it makes it easier to pass a mission. 

I haven't really played freeplay but the events between missions are alot better than em4 but they can get mundane if your on the same map too long. I hope all the events are in freeplay so you get a variety. The only issue i have is the lack of the option to buy more units. As you progress through the campaign you get access to more units but i would like to buy more police cars and doctors and ambulances. Like you mentioned the game is fast paced and your running from event to event and you just dont have enough units to have any sort of roleplay.I would love to have police units at every accident but i only have 2 so it makes it hard. 

THW (Technical Rescue units) are nice.. but they ALL have sirens.  .......The tow truck.. I can't.  The crane... I really can't.  Just makes no sense in my opinion.  

THW vechile have sirens in Germany. I know because while visiting one of the fire stations in riesa, i got started by a siren, turn out to be a THW truck at there base across that way.  So Sirens on THW. relastic.   Tow trucks for THW, not sure if I ever seen one. But I have seen tow trucks in Germany with cranes.   They have much narrow streets.  Not as easy to get the flat bed in and load. 

can you explain how? :)

I don't know what other files were tweaked, but as far as shadows go, you should be able to disable them by editing this file:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Promotion Software GmbH\EMERGENCY 5\emergency_5_settings.json

Scroll down to around line 45 and set "Shadows" to "false".

Installing Fraps for example will not 'degrade' your system, or any system. But you seem decided, so I'll stop asking :)

So your claiming fraps uses zero resources? And what would I need it for? My nvidia video card comes with something to record video.

Maybe the reason your getting lousy frame rates in game is fraps and other useless programs running using CPU cycles, ram and Interrupting system processes.

Anything and everything running on a computer uses resources.

So your claiming fraps uses zero resources? And what would I need it for? My nvidia video card comes with something to record video.

Maybe the reason your getting lousy frame rates in game is fraps and other useless programs running using CPU cycles, ram and Interrupting system processes.

Anything and everything running on a computer uses resources.

Actually, you can get FPS checkers that, on your system, would take up literally a few megabytes of ram, less. I think maybe we should have a thread for technical (not practical) problems?

Actually, you can get FPS checkers that, on your system, would take up literally a few megabytes of ram, less. I think maybe we should have a thread for technical (not practical) problems?

Even a small impact on system adds up with other small impacts.  In addition to a few megabytes of ram, it also needs CPU cycles and likely needs to querry the video card.  Thus putting in my opinion unnecessary strain on my system. and what exactly is the benefit?  Some magical number with no real meaning as far as I am concern.  Perhapes that because in the days I started with computers.  You could only run one program at time. 

I judge a game performance on my system by how it looks and responds.  not by some number that appears on the screen. 

So your claiming fraps uses zero resources?

Currently I have Fraps running. It is using 5400kb(Not even six thousand out of eight million available) of memory and less than 1% of my CPU. Having Fraps running while not recording does not impact your system performance in any notable way. My CPU does not come close to 100% load while playing any game. I have not claimed running programs doesn't use resources. I said it will not degrade your computer. Very different.

You don't seem to be too keen on the idea of looking at your FPS, and I get that, but please don't claim the performance issues is because of people running other things at the same time. I would have to run several thousand of instances of Fraps for it to make any difference.

I also judge a game by how it looks and responds. When I started Emergency 5 I noticed stuttering and texture pop in. I clicked the Fraps FPS hotkey to see my FPS and noticed it was around 15. I then thought I must be doing something wrong. I restarted my computer, updated drivers and tinkered with settings. Nothing helped. I then noticed people on different forums also had low FPS on even better systems than mine. Emergency 5 is not playable(at 1920x1080 with a stable 60fps) for a majority of the players and that is a bad thing that the publisher is responsible for. I bought a game, not a slideshow.

You know what? For the sake of argument I will close every single running process that I don't need to play Emergency 5 and see if I notice any stuttering. I will also unplug all but one monitor as that could have an effect. I'll update this in a minute or two with the result. Edit: Yep, still horrible stuttering with every non essential process gone.

It won't help. I've ran EM5 on a clean Win7 image with only new drivers & steam on my system (Intel Core i7-4770K | MSI Z87-G45 | 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | GTX780 Ti) and it still drops below 15FPS at times. If it runs like that on my system, it will run like that on anyone else's system unless there are driver issues.

For me its unplayable because of that. I can't stand it. I'll just wait for patches to fix this.

I don't know what other files were tweaked, but as far as shadows go, you should be able to disable them by editing this file:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Promotion Software GmbH\EMERGENCY 5\emergency_5_settings.json

Scroll down to around line 45 and set "Shadows" to "false".

Thank you, I edited some values, trying different combinations, but still no great impacts on game FPS.

That reduced the used RAM from 6 to 5 GB but it's till heavy on my screen.

The mouse pointer is driving me crazy. I will wait for patches too.