Fred03

Pagers and Radios

Its not to uncommon. Most departments use pagers around here, however a few smaller towns do issue radios to everyone. It just varies by department, and I'm assuming its influenced by cost.

Cost is one thing... I believe that more and more Fire Departments are going to radios so that way they don't have to keep a set of 6 in the truck for Fire fighters to grab before exiting.

When I was a ff 3 years ago we had some radios convered to pagers and then some got minitor as well, however Captains and Lieutenants got Radio pager variant.

I know of some departments that are using a siren to alert their staff or a mass phone call.  Some are even looking at going to a text base like most SAR agencies are doing now.

I can't speak for fire departments, as I'd have to drive a fair distance away before I'd find a volunteer one, but here, we have on call SAR volunteers, and it's almost unanimous acorss the province that everyone uses cell phone callouts. It's cheaper than purchasing the equipment, and you're more likely to leave your house without your pager than without your cell phone. 

As far as I know the volly companies around here use radios. Actually, I know because when the first Rob Zombie Halloween movie came out my ex and I went on a double date with some friends of ours.The auditorium was packed full and all during the movie I kept hearing talking very faintly. Every time I looked over at the random dude next to me, he was glued to the screen. Eventually he figured out why I kept looking at him and he showed me he had a radio with an ear piece and said he was a volly..needless to say it was messing with my head but we both laughed about it in the end lol.

Around here, all volleys have a pager.  That said, some also have department-issued radios, and some have personally-owned radios.  I have my department-issued Minitor III.  Our pages also get sent out via text/email, so I get them no matter what.  I'm looking into getting an HT750, though, so I have the ability to monitor a few other departments, as well as get better reception and have the ability to talk if I need to, i.e., if I run up on something on one of the backroads around here.

My VFD uses Radios. We have had times were we can't reach another VFD to request assistance.