emergency4freak

Emergency Unit Pictures

One more question... What's a plug buggy, and what does it do ? :s

It comes from the old days of horse and buggies and hydrants with wooden plugs. Today the plug buggy is just a standard utility truck found at various stations for mail runs, supply, and such.

And a police officer with celebration uniform. or what its called. In the back you see the Royal Norwegian Navy.

Great pics, and here in the US we usually call them Dress Uniforms or Parade Uniforms depending on the department and their guidelines. Some older depts may have as many as 4 or 5 different uniforms for parades, public functions, dress events (like a mayors dinner), and other functions.

I come bearing one picture from a car accident Probably 2 minutes from my house if you are rolling code 3. I didn't get the Fire truck, because it didn't turn on the siren until it was passing my house, so I didn't get it, but I have decided to take pictures of all Emergency Vehicles that go past my house, which is about 5-10 a day, sometimes more if there is a fire.

Anyways, here it is.

HPIM1286.jpg

SO SO SO CLOSE. I live in austin where there is a texas national guard base and for the next 3 days most of the major fire and police department command units are on the base. Most of them are from central texas. I wish i could give you guys pictures but i cannot without permission which i could not get either way. But there are units rainging from suv's with communication equitment for biologcal and commications equitment that was used at ground zero on 911 to big semi trucks full of equitment for search and rescue with atv's medical equitment and swat equitment. I really wish i could provide you all with pictures

Guest PVFD
Pretty good pictures... Where'd you find the car, was it at the station, or just one of those lucky finds ?

lucky find and at the station....i didnt know where theyre station was ...just happened to glance over when i was out driving and saw it so i went down in and took pics

Whittier-09-01.png

Whittier-09-02.png

Whittier-09-03.png

Whittier-09-04.png

UPDATED 6/11/2009: Whittier PD & LACoFD Open House

As many of you know, I've been hard at work on the new version of the website, but I thought I'd give you all a quick treat and upload 315 pics from the open house event in Whittier. This update includes photos of CHP's new Dodge Charger, Area E's Law Enforcement Command Center, Care Ambulance, LACoFD Truck 28 (Reserve) and an Extrication Demo by them, Santa Fe Springs FD Truck 811, Whittier PD's Crown Vics, new Dodge Chargers (used by the supervisors and corporals), Dodge Magnum K9 units, a K9 demo, Whittier PD Honda and Off Road Motor units, Public Safety Chevy Colorado, PD SUV, SWAT Armored Vehicle, Gear, and a SWAT/K9 demonstration including flash bang detonation! So as always, Enjoy!

---

Just a quick note since many of you might be interested to find out the status of the Dodge Chargers in use by the CHP. I talked to a few of the officers, including one who is on the purchasing and evaluation committee (which is why he was driving it that day). Bassically, beyond the test subjects that are out and about now, you won't be seeing any other Chargers in CHP colors. There was a major foul up by someone at Dodge in regards to the ballistic panels not being included in the estimate and bid, even though they were spec'd, which caused the price to rise astronomicaly. Some of the cars delivered had them, others just had signs on the door saying they were there, but with nothing but empty space instead. Needless to say, this caused a huge uproar within the department, and Dodge handled it badly enough that CHP immediately cancelled the evaluation and committed to Ford until 2012.

Whittier PD purchased the Chargers but has relegated them to supervisors/corporals use only. They love the huge trunk space, but the rear area is just too cramped for suspects. They were having to get creative with some of their larger hook-ups, and ended up losing some back and side windows because of it.

LAPD is still testing theirs with no definitive word either way just yet. They've also purchased (from last budget) some new Crown Vics with various lighting packages, including their slicktops, to see how they will go with their next major purchase.

LAFD has basically run out of useable crown vic's for EMS Captains and has put a couple of them in former BC suburbans. The plan, per EMS 14, is to build custom built EMS supervisor SUV's, but with the budget cuts, they might just end up having to take hand me downs from the LAPD. The chiefs SUV's have to have heavy modifications done to them to remove all of the command and control radios, boxes, and equipment, to make way for the EMS gear that makes it almost prohibitive. So we'll see where that is headed.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

Wouldn't it make sense just to get them newer cars, not necessarily a Crown vic or Suburban either..

With 16 Battalions in the LAFD, the way to keep maintenance and purchasing costs down is to purchase in bulk fleet deals and keep all of the equipment as similar as possible. Are you asking why not just pick a cheaper model of vehicle? The answer is simply because nothing is cheaper then tagging onto the current city fleet deal in both the short term and long term (maintenance).

But I guess whatever works, doesn't LAPD retire units after like 60,000 miles or something?

Back in the 90's or such, it was 66k, or 2 years, now its 100k if you're lucky. There are still a lot of older CVPI's running around with close to 200k. For LAFD to take the hand me downs is also a major expenditure in converting them for fire use.

Either way you look at it, you end up spending money that just doesn't exist anywhere.

FSD09-HDC-1.png

FSD09-HDC-2.png

FSD09-HDC-3.png

UPDATED 6/12/2009: FSD Home Depot Center

Just cranking out these pics left and right while getting the new site up and ready. This time its 238 shots from the Fire Service Day in Carson at the Home Depot Center. You'll find pics of the BP Refineries Quick Attack 4, Compton FD Engine 44 and Dodge Charger, County of Los Angeles Fire Museums Squad 51 and Engine 36 Restorations, LACoFD Foam 10, K9, Hazmat MIRV-171, HAZMAT Suits, Mobile Light Air 115, Water Tender 70, LASD Radio Car, SEB Bearcat and Firearms, LASD Unmarked SUV, Long Beach Fire Technical Rescue Paramedic Assessment Engine 6, County Dept of Public Health, LACoFD Lifeguards Ford Escapes, McCormick Ambulance Supervisor, Van, Box, Disaster Response Units, and OES/LACoFD E8133 from FS 125. It's a huge update with a lot of walk arounds that had been requested, so as always, Enjoy!

--

Take special notice of the HAZMAT suits and realize the dangers that manning a hose in one of those would entail. Between the danger of tearing it, they're simply sealed plastic membranes with, at best, minimal flash fire protection. Radiant and sustained heat would melt them in seconds. Ask a HAZMAT Tech or Spec, and they'll tell you that with many of Hazardous chemicals, fire is the best tool to just let it burn off safely. Spraying water causes all sorts of issues with runoff and spread of the chemical, beyond any reaction or interaction.

CExpo09-1.png

CExpo09-2.png

UPDATED 6/14/2009: Chatsworth Emergency Preparedness Expo

First off, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for voting and so far it looks like it's a pretty big majority for choice #2. But, and this is a big but, I am going to see if I will be able to keep this page up as well as the new page for a brief period of time. All hotlinked images and such will be broken though. And now for the latest update! This time it's 115 pictures from the Chatsworth Emergency Preparedness Expo that featured apparatus and members from the LASD Malibu Search and Rescue Team, LASD Metro Transit Authority, LAFD Engine 107s new Seagrave, LAFD Recruitment van, LAPD Supervisors Crown Vic with the new led's in the turn signals, Community Mobile Sub-Station, and the new LAPD ANSI-107 compliant vest which was given to officers that day. LASD still has not received theirs or any memos on it yet. As always, Enjoy!

I present one picture, I was testing out the camera on my dads phone, and this is the picture I took, from left to right you'll see:

Very far left you will see the back of a transport van used for transporting FFs when trucks can not be used, such as in the old part of town and the battery (some areas over 300 years old)

Behind that, you'll see the back of a subaru used by one of our inspectors, it has no emergency lighting, as it is just for him to get from station to various buildings to inspect.

In front of the station, you will see the Chief Pickup, which is relatively new, only 1 or 2 years old, and the first unit to my knowledge to get LED lights

Next to that is our Pumper, we have 3 or 4 that look the exact same as this one, and the unit number isn't on front, and they aren't assigned at just one station, they rotate units at stations occasionally, however will almost always have at least one ladder, and one pumper. Next to that you will see the Ladder parked in the ladder bay. The next bay over is not empty, but just dark.. There is a hovercraft parked there, and behind that our tower unit, which is the giant unit I have pictures of a few (from september) pages back.

The #4 (dark) bay used to have the Tower, and sometimes the ladder, but since the hovercraft was bought, I think they rearranged the station bays, as the Rescue truck was where the ladder is and the Chief pickup is actually where they keep the pickup fire trucks (I think 2 at this station, and a transport van)

Gotta share:

175 Year - Volunteer Fire Department of Vaals

At the same time the Fire Deps of the German and Belgian border region came over to make a big day fo it.

And the second:

(wasn't sure if the forum liked 2 youtube videos in 1 post)

This one shows more btw :)

Dont forget to yield for the poor guy on the bike... I wonder what he did to get stuck with the bicycle while everyone else got real emergency vehicles

Did that tow truck have a siren, or was that something behind it?

How come the sirens were all short blasts, instead of longer ones, and how come the ARFF (or whatever) truck was NATO?

Thats it for me

Dont forget to yield for the poor guy on the bike... I wonder what he did to get stuck with the bicycle while everyone else got real emergency vehicles

Did that tow truck have a siren, or was that something behind it?

How come the sirens were all short blasts, instead of longer ones, and how come the ARFF (or whatever) truck was NATO?

Thats it for me

The bike was an old fire dep. bike and well since it was the 175st year of the dept. they took it out again and left him drive in front haha.

The tow truck had no siren, it was an vehicle behind it indeed.

About the sirens, well they didn't leave em on for all the time and only put it on and off all the time and the NATO truck is a truck from the NATO airbase of Gelsenkirchen (Germanny) it's just over the border so :)

LAFD-72309-01.pngLAFD-72309-02.png

UPDATED 7/28/09: LAFD / LACoFD Grass Fire in Sepulveda Basin (flickr only)

LAFD, LACoFD, Park Rangers, General Services Police, and CHP responded to a small grass fire on both sides of Burbank blvd at the Sepulveda Rec Basin. 163 shots are posted to my flickr account as I finish the remaining touches on the new website.