Stan

This is your chance!

Also in regards to my earlier point about mod team forums being useless, moving the threads in to mods would make tracking progress easier. As it is this means to keep track of all the mods released or in progress, we have to visit the la mod forum,the mod team forums(thats 7 forums alone) and not to mention em4 mods and maybe em3 mods. Thats 9-10 forums we have to visit just to keep track of mods. The teams themselves dont even utilize the forums in a capacity for team members to communicate. I imagine most of the communication takes place via msn and maybe private forums elsewhere to discus progress and such, so a whole forum for one-three threads seems useless. Maybe they would be better used hidden from the public and only the mod teams can access the forums to discuss things in private. The LA mod and even NY Mod having there own forum(not now but in the future i think it would be warranted and even necessary but thats another issue) and having all mods in progress in the mods forums.

Also maybe toss what appear to be dead mods in to a separate forums.

Also in regards to my earlier point about mod team forums being useless, moving the threads in to mods would make tracking progress easier. As it is this means to keep track of all the mods released or in progress, we have to visit the la mod forum,the mod team forums(thats 7 forums alone) and not to mention em4 mods and maybe em3 mods. Thats 9-10 forums we have to visit just to keep track of mods. The teams themselves dont even utilize the forums in a capacity for team members to communicate. I imagine most of the communication takes place via msn and maybe private forums elsewhere to discus progress and such, so a whole forum for one-three threads seems useless. Maybe they would be better used hidden from the public and only the mod teams can access the forums to discuss things in private.

Those forums are there because they requested them, and because they got approved and other forums have them too. Therefore, for now, I will leave them where they are, how disturbing it might be for you or Gerard.

The LA mod and even NY Mod having there own forum(not now but in the future i think it would be warranted and even necessary but thats another issue) and having all mods in progress in the mods forums.

This has been discussed before, and I will tell exactly the same: This has already cleared between me and them since this has already been discussed and they decided to do it without any forum.

Also maybe toss what appear to be dead mods in to a separate forums.

Thats something I can agree with /\

Like I said, we are very probably going to use buttons at the top of the forum to open certain categories. So I am not sure that the split between Dutch and English part will happen the way you mgiht have requested.

Regards,

Stan

Those forums are there because they requested them, and because they got approved and other forums have them too. Therefore, for now, I will leave them where they are, how disturbing it might be for you or Gerard.

Other forums have them? Oh then it makes it all ok...or just dare to be different.

This has been discussed before, and I will tell exactly the same: This has already cleared between me and them since this has already been discussed and they decided to do it without any forum.

I am already 10% aware, like i said, in the future, because i suspect once it is released it would be chaos trying to maintain one thread for the entire mod due to the scale of there mod. This really isnt important right now. I was just throwing it out there as some what of an example saying 3 forums isnt that bad compared to 10 forums.

Maybe some regulations on what to name your topic in the help sections rather than having them all say help me and problem

That is probably not going to help as the people tend not to read the post explaining that they should put their dxdiag and that other file which name I have forgot in their post but how many do that?

What about altering the submods forum like this:

Rename it Public Submods(something like this) with a description(not sure it will matter) saying these submods are available to download.

Add a Private submods forums with a description of submods that may be released to the public at a later date pending Hoppahs permission.

With 17 pinned topics, the submod forum is getting quite cluttered imo.

Thats just a rough draft idea, but what do you think?

I really think that the help topics need to be policed up. But let's make a list Stan.

THINGS STAN WANTS

THINGS MEMBERS WANT

THINGS THAT CANNOT TAKE PLACE

I don't need a list for that, I can decide things by myself instantly

I think for the clarity of this we should.

For that small amount of suggestions where more then half won't happen? No really not :) I know whats going to happen and what not and I really do not need a list since the pages are quite low numbered ;)

BTW, the TOS link at the top right is still broken. It should be more visible, like have its own tab called Rules, rather then TOS.

This will be fixed when the new tos comes in, before that time it will stay like that since the tos is at the top of each forum :)

The tab TOS is currently under testing on our intern board so that's coming if it works right ;)

Well what about an emergency planet mod? Something that the users can join to promote the planet. Oh, and because I didn't see one I started a new help topic in the EM3 game help for all the common helps that everyone posts. Including the idiots who post the question over the same question. Good lord.

Back to topic, I feel that we should do this (if we do) in the standard game colors, just to show non bias. As a team I feel that we can make the Planet more.

Guest Francis

BTW, the TOS link at the top right is still broken. It should be more visible, like have its own tab called Rules, rather then TOS.

The new TOS is in the way to be made public, this will be fixed once it's up. The tab isn't needed because if they want to see the rules, they'll be able to guess where to click.

For that small amount of suggestions where more then half won't happen? No really not :) I know whats going to happen and what not and I really do not need a list since the pages are quite low numbered ;)

Well he does have a point, sorry but it really doesnt seem like your that receptive to the idea here. I can more then understand with the ads, but the other stuff, hey why not give it a try rather then being all about what you want? Have you tried running any of these ideas by the staff and voting on them? This gives better perspective since no one seems to really be commenting on the other ideas here.

This will be fixed when the new tos comes in, before that time it will stay like that since the tos is at the top of each forum :)

The tab TOS is currently under testing on our intern board so that's coming if it works right ;)

If I dont see it there, how many people do you think will actually notice it there? Not that many I would imagine.

Nother idea, not sure exactly how the IPB Mod forum is set up, Invionize forums isnt it? But at vbulletin.org they use a system where you can mark a mod installed. Then it will show how many people have installed the mod, shows things like weather file edits are required, template edits, and even lets you be notified via email when an update to a mod is posted. Since submods arent posted in the download center, and the download center doesnt have such an option anyways..I think this would be great for submods, and would work great for mods as well, but primarily for submods.

You can get an over view of it here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=237531

But as your going to view it as a guest, you wont see all the options, but it is a great system and I am sure there is an IPB equivalent.

Had another idea besides that, but i forgot it.

Server costs a year: 599,00€

Domain costs a year: 38,00€

Licensing and support fees a year: 95,00€

===============================

Normal yearly running costs: 732,00€

One time fees over the last year: 250,00€

===============================

This years running costs: 982,00€ = 1247,04 US$

The time I and the staff put in this project: Priceless

Do you mind release some other tid-bits? I'm understanding you use a server and not a cpanel based hosting account? If this is true, can you share some of the bandwidth amounts this site sustains. Your fees seem WAY to high. The fact you pay 38€ a year on a domain is messed up. It looks like a financial restructure needs to be done and move some services around. :/ Would you mind publicly or privately listing out some more information like what all your spending on and what the site does in terms of load and bandwidth? I can't see over 1.2k USD being logical for one site like this...

In regards to the domain cost, it may be the price of all the domains he owns. I think theres like 4 domains pointed to this server.

Might be cheaper to switch to vBulletin though. Its like $30 a year for support if you buy an owned license.

Moo, this is a really high end server. Havent looked at server prices but if memorey serves me right it runs an i7 920 with 8 GB RAM. I cant recall the rest of the specs but I do know its a rather high end server.

Do you mind release some other tid-bits? I'm understanding you use a server and not a cpanel based hosting account? If this is true, can you share some of the bandwidth amounts this site sustains. Your fees seem WAY to high. The fact you pay 38€ a year on a domain is messed up. It looks like a financial restructure needs to be done and move some services around. :/ Would you mind publicly or privately listing out some more information like what all your spending on and what the site does in terms of load and bandwidth? I can't see over 1.2k USD being logical for one site like this...

We use ~1500 GB on bandwidth every month, for that price you wont get this in the US.

I think you are clearly underestimating the site regarding visits and bandwidth. We have ~6000 unique daily visits and ~381819 hits per day

The server is clearly over-sized, but if I get the option to pay 150.00€ setup and get a 200% better setup than the server without setup I know what I take. Besides that, hosting and VPS cannot take the site at the current stage anymore and this way it offers enough buffer for future projects.

Anyways, this was the smallest package and you will really not get a core I7 server with 8GB DDR3 ram and 750 RAID 1 with 5000GB Transfer on an 100Mbit line in the US (At the time we bought this one, there wasn't) :)

Please notice that in the cost we had, we had to addition the setup fee this year and the purchases of several additional licenses, if we hadn't we would have been under the 950$ for sure

In regards to the domain cost, it may be the price of all the domains he owns. I think theres like 4 domains pointed to this server.

Might be cheaper to switch to vBulletin though. Its like $30 a year for support if you buy an owned license.

Moo, this is a really high end server. Havent looked at server prices but if memorey serves me right it runs an i7 920 with 8 GB RAM. I cant recall the rest of the specs but I do know its a rather high end server.

You are right on 1 and 3 but 2 you aren't. I own a perpetual licence of IPB fromt he old licensing system and pay 30.00$ a year, besides that I am happy with IPB therefore a change from IPB is not questionable for me.

-And it will be better if there are more downlaods (because in the polish site there are other mods and in the german site , too)

I think user activity is more important then downloads, but then again, people can upload files up to 200MB themselves to the database. And then I had issues with modders that didn't want their files on other sites in the past :)

Ok, but there are submods or maybe mods that are available for download but there aren't in the Download section and found them is a little complicated. Just it will be good if every released mod/submod that haves a topic here upload their files to the download section

Guest Francis

Wasnt aware IPB changed there pricing method. :P

What about separating submods?

Is the hack for seperating stick and normal threads out yet, or maybe has it become an on/off option in the latest version?

It's not out yet but requires only a minor template edit.

We use ~1500 GB on bandwidth every month, for that price you wont get this in the US.

I think you are clearly underestimating the site regarding visits and bandwidth. We have ~6000 unique daily visits and ~381819 hits per day

The server is clearly over-sized, but if I get the option to pay 150.00€ setup and get a 200% better setup than the server without setup I know what I take. Besides that, hosting and VPS cannot take the site at the current stage anymore and this way it offers enough buffer for future projects.

Anyways, this was the smallest package and you will really not get a core I7 server with 8GB DDR3 ram and 750 RAID 1 with 5000GB Transfer on an 100Mbit line in the US (At the time we bought this one, there wasn't) :)

Please notice that in the cost we had, we had to addition the setup fee this year and the purchases of several additional licenses, if we hadn't we would have been under the 950$ for sure

You are right on 1 and 3 but 2 you aren't. I own a perpetual licence of IPB fromt he old licensing system and pay 30.00$ a year, besides that I am happy with IPB therefore a change from IPB is not questionable for me.

Costs make a bit more sense now when you explain as such. 8gb and 100mbit... Yeah. I'm starting to understand why it costs so much. So it is a completely dedicated? Not a shared. - None-the-less, I think I'm getting a bit off topic. :/

It's not out yet but requires only a minor template edit.

Any ETA as to when this might get done? Its not a major issue but it helps keep the thread listing a bit more organized because the sticky topics really blend in with regular topics imo.

@Moo, 100% dedicated, EMP does not share the server with any other sites except for a test forum, from the sounds of it, and I think you can gather what thats used for :P Maybe some other test sites and little projects like that.